Team-BHP - Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/58639-mahindra-pik-up-4x4-brand-new-mm540-4x4with-front-disc-brakes-63hpdi-turbo.html)

Hello comrades, here is something in my mind which is perplexing me for quite long!
The greatest difficulty in owning a 4x4 540/550 is the non-availability of these models in the used market. The available ones are often those which have sustained abuse to the last degree and even after a rebuild er, not upto the mark. As far as I know, M&M is not planning to reintroduce this excellent Jeep into the open market.

Now, Mahindra pic-up is readily available in the market. It has a stretched 540 chassis,competent and simple 4x4 transfer case, 63 BHP bullet proof MDI 3200 DI Turbo engine which is atrociously torquey from 1400 RPM, front disk brakes, clean Jeep looks, less kerb weight and above all it is reasonably priced. All the spares are readily available and cheap and in my experience it is a supremely reliable vehicle,as all mahindras are. The only thing it needs is, I think, a proper soft top(if required) and a power steering and an AC( that too is subjective).

Then why don't the die hard offroading folks go for it?stupid:

probably because of its elongated chassis and typical utility positioning
plus there just might some issues on registering it as a personal vehicle rather than a commercial one - this vehicle if im right, gets certain tax sops and incentives being primarily intended for the transport/ haulage/ commercial/ rural segments.
but i guess if you own a farm/ estate and then you buy one of these, you could spend the requisite money getting it converted into a monster off road jeep.:)

RTO will insist on a yellow board for this vehicle. It does have full-floating axle in the back.

Yeah i think difficulty in registering the pick-ups for personal purpose is the main problem. Though the rules vary to a good extent from state to state.
But hang on, there is someone from Kerala only who has really gone a long way (and i mean it!) to get a brand new 4wd camper (fitted with A.C. & ps from Mahindra for some extra money) with white numberplate. I hope he will start a thread on this very soon.:)

Hi Kandisa,
I heard that you are also getting a Jeep restored, Whats the status on the same? I believe your Jeep has an Isuzu 1.8 Petrol engine, which gearbox would you be going in for?

Autocraze

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandisa (Post 1303226)
Yeah i think difficulty in registering the pick-ups for personal purpose is the main problem. Though the rules vary to a good extent from state to state.
But hang on, there is someone from Kerala only who has really gone a long way (and i mean it!) to get a brand new 4wd camper (fitted with A.C. & ps from Mahindra for some extra money) with white numberplate. I hope he will start a thread on this very soon.:)

Camper with 4wd a/c and p/s that too factory fitted?:Shockked: i hope that person posts some pics soon. The ones sold abroad has every thing plus NEF engines.

I read 63HPDI Turbo and was like wow new engine. Then i read the rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1303713)
I read 63HPDI Turbo and was like wow new engine. Then i read the rest.

:uncontrol

Even if this was a new engine the number 63 is the sore point:D.
Coming back to topic-Well, Nair cheta if one had enough money to cut and paste a new vehicle worth 5 lakhs there wouldnt be so many old vehicles floating around. Infact for the price of a Mahindra pickup one can get a brand new major4wd. Of so many enthusiasts here why no one is buying it?

The only reason is MONEY:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1303732)
:uncontrol

Even if this was a new engine the number 63 is the sore point:D.

I am a very optimistic guy.

Quote:

brand new major4wd. Of so many enthusiasts here why no one is buying it?
Nobody wants to buy a bare basic jeep "new". Everyone will go - you should have bought an i10 atleast, it has doors.

The general thinking is if i hang around with a lakh in hand i can get a old jeep for cheap, spend another 50 grand and hey i have an equivalent of a Major for 1/3rd the price.

Throw in AC, disc brakes, better suspension, sophistication that could not be had for that 50 grand over the price and folks will queue up.

Ashley:

This is certanly something I considered. But there are some complications. Firstly you will have to shorten the chasis. Secondly the leaf spring set up in the rear is meant to carry loads and the leaf springs will need to be changed to the ones from mm540/major for a better ride. Last and most importantly the registration will be only with yellow (taxi) plates and in Kerala you will need something called a badge which you need to drive commercial vehicles. This needs to be renewed yearly I think.

Did anyone checked this site? or has inquired/bought these vehicles?

Mahindra Customisation

It has the Souvenir Concept (Classic look alike) and Bolero Inspira

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1303265)
Camper with 4wd a/c and p/s that too factory fitted?:Shockked: i hope that person posts some pics soon. The ones sold abroad has every thing plus NEF engines.

The only issue I have with this is the rear overhang. Well we can consult a certain Dr. Khan for that eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1303789)
I am a very optimistic guy.

The general thinking is if i hang around with a lakh in hand i can get a old jeep for cheap, spend another 50 grand and hey i have an equivalent of a Major for 1/3rd the price.

Throw in AC, disc brakes, better suspension, sophistication that could not be had for that 50 grand over the price and folks will queue up.

Are you saying this is being too optimistic? :D
Cause I am of this opinion. Just wish there were more used Jeeps available out there.

I am from kerala, friend(Alappuzha).But I have seen a pic-up with private registration at Changanasserry.Thinks it belongs to some tea-estate at peerumedu. yes, the stretched chassis is a problem- but I have seen here even Tata 807 mini buses with their chassis cut off for the purpose of evading tax(seating capacity)

In Rajasthan you can registered them as either F (for firm) or (U for utility).

So the number will be something like RJxx Ux XXXX. or RJxx Fx XXXX.

Ashley,
I guess you spotted the same vehicle i am talking about. It does have a private registration.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autocraze (Post 1303247)
Hi Kandisa,
I heard that you are also getting a Jeep restored, Whats the status on the same?

Hi there,
You can check out the thread on my jeep here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html
Since i have been out of station for quite some time, could not update the latest status. Will update it next week.