Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 10:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
i was planning for rubber mats. ok dude send it across i will have a look at it. Let me when you are coming i shall meet you.
krishnathanthri - just put plain rubber mats.
One of my friends had a full matting done for his Gypsy. He started cursing it after a rain. The water gets below the matting and though this was a water proof material, it did cause a foul odour in the Gypsy.

GB
Old 16th May 2009, 21:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, there are water proof mats available. Water will run through the mat to the floor and drain out.

Will show pics if i get the time..

Cheers
Old 16th May 2009, 22:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@Krishna, Nice to see pictures of your Gypsy and the progress of the work so far. Best of luck and judging by your enthusiasm, I am sure the work will come out nicely and you will enjoy many many years of happy driving in your Gypsy.

Hope to see your Gypsy in the office parking lot soon :-)
Old 16th May 2009, 22:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

nice to see your build taking shape.Make it a little more quicker buddie.I was seeing the whole thread and as you said SNAILS pace lolz.The paint job should be well attended to.
ram
Old 17th May 2009, 00:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
But some (the smart intelligent breed) ask “You bought a gypsyyyy! Oh why did you buy a Gypsyyy? Oh its fourteeeeeeen years old? You easily get second hand esteem, Alto for the price you have paid for your gypsyeeee man. You should have bought esteem, alto.. blaugh blaugh blaugh “.
My answer for them: Oh is it..I didn’t know (As if am dumb)
Congratulations on your purchase.

Just ignore them, there are always smart alecs everywhere. We spent over 2lakh on our MM550 and get similar comments like "you could have bought low mileage Indica...Zen"...blah blah blah. Then when they saw finished thing they thought we had actually just bought a new jeep that must have cost 4/5 lakh . Others said get rid of 4x4 and plonk a isuzu engine in...give better average. This is the point where I begin to fall asleep, if I wanted average I would buy a hero honda.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Guys, there are water proof mats available. Water will run through the mat to the floor and drain out.

Will show pics if i get the time..

Cheers
yes please send the photo. Also let me know the price and place where i can get one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Krishna, Nice to see pictures of your Gypsy and the progress of the work so far. Best of luck and judging by your enthusiasm, I am sure the work will come out nicely and you will enjoy many many years of happy driving in your Gypsy.

Hope to see your Gypsy in the office parking lot soon :-)
Thank you khan bhai.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2009 at 14:43.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Krishna. Some people can't understand and appreciate why some others get crazy over vehicles like jeeps & gypsies. Carry on and build it the way you like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
... Others said get rid of 4x4 and plonk a isuzu engine in...give better average....
I guess the 'Toyota' brand is more appropriate here because thats the usual swap for the 2wd 'high-mileage' dabwali like jeeps. 4x4 can be retained even after plonking isuzu if you want to.
-regards,
Old 17th May 2009, 22:54   #38
BHPian

Thats an awesome purchase dude. I have also dreamt and kept postponing a gypsy ownership but busy schedules in life keep me away from em and i am happy with a SWIFT diesel now. (Of course economic reasons).

Its this forum that keeps me in touch with the automobile field now a days. And reading your thread today reminded me of how much i used to plan to buy a Gypsy. It seems nostalgic.

Cheers to you mate. Do show me your Gypsy some time when i come to Bangalore.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:46   #39
BHPian

Small Update: I had ordered for Team BHP stickers even before, my request for joining Team BHP was approved by the moderator’s :-)

The Stickers reached Mysore within a week’s time.

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01498.jpg

Guys let me know which one looks better good.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:11   #40
BHPian

Hunt for Tyres

During this time I started hunting for tires. I wanted a muscular meaner looking tire (All terrain Type). I went to almost every tire shop in and around JC road. Some (again the smart intelligent breed) trying to sell their old stock. ”Saaar go for XZY tire its very good.Its imported.MRF is not good.It has limited warranty Saaar. We will give you unconditional warranty. Ours is chinaaa made saaar. blaugh blaugh”

Finally after getting enough information about tires, tread pattern….I zeroed in on the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDERS TUBLESS TIRE. This time I bargained for this tire through phone. The price in Mysore and Bangalore was almost the same so booked it in Mysore itself.

After a week, i got a call from the tire shop owner saying the tire is with him and I can take it. I went to Mysore last weekend and bought the tires.

Check out the snaps

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01505.jpg

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01504.jpg
Old 18th May 2009, 16:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Thats an awesome purchase dude. I have also dreamt and kept postponing a gypsy ownership but busy schedules in life keep me away from em and i am happy with a SWIFT diesel now. (Of course economic reasons).

Its this forum that keeps me in touch with the automobile field now a days. And reading your thread today reminded me of how much i used to plan to buy a Gypsy. It seems nostalgic.

Cheers to you mate. Do show me your Gypsy some time when i come to Bangalore.
Srikant: let me know when you are coming to Bangalore, you will get to take my gypsy on a spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
Cool buy, looks like somebody's dream are reaching reality.

Keep the build updates coming...
Hmmm ya Dream come true . I have bought new Lights will post the pics soon. Today the painter will start painting red paint (First coat). Hope it doesn’t rain today there.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2009 at 17:14. Reason: see note in post
Old 18th May 2009, 16:41   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The tyres look good & big Krishna. At first impressions I though that they were 31" tyres but then saw the sticker on them.

Any specific reason you went in for 235/70/15 and NOT the 235/75/15?
Old 19th May 2009, 11:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The tyres look good & big Krishna. At first impressions I though that they were 31" tyres but then saw the sticker on them.

Any specific reason you went in for 235/70/15 and NOT the 235/75/15?
Initially I was looking for 275/60 R15, Many people told it will touch inner surface specially when turning and also steering will become hard.

Yes for off roading more the height, better it is. But I dint want the height to increase much. I wanted thick tire with less height but also all terrain type. This was the only tire I found (all terrain type, Thick enough and fits without any alterations, with less height increase as compared to 75 tires) so went for these tires.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:27   #44
BHPian

I need a help, where in Bangalore/Mysore i can get soft top switched. I need top only to cover the front two seats of my Gypsy.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good going buddie,Regarding the stickers since its going to be red color then the black and red one will look good.Cant wait to see it finished.Have great care when the paint job is done,as it can spoil the entire effort taken.Let them have their own time for that.
ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks