Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 16:31   #151
BHPian

are the straps you bought kinetic ones? mine are with my cousin in kenya and he would bring it on his next trip,kinetic straps are pretty good and strong,your gypsy is going to be well equipped my friend,nice to see the gypsy growing up.

mandeep
Old 5th August 2009, 22:35   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
get a hunting knife too or you can just buy a hockey from LDH to keep in the gypsy, just in case!

sleeping bags?
Hunting knife is a good option. I always have a baseball bat in car for personal safety.

I think there are ample hotels/tents on the way to leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Try a local motor spares shop or ebay. Duck Pipe & Hose Repair Tape is a common one found in shops in the UK. It may be distributed in North America as well.

If you can't find it then there are alternatives on ebay :

vehicle hose repair tape:eBay Motors (item 200369501196 end time Sep-01-09 11:33:31 PDT)

A Maharadja hockey stick with carbon fibre shaft makes a decent security device as do those metal baseball bat type steering wheel locks (although the locks themselves are pretty poor).
Yesterday went to search for Hose repair tape but couldn't find one again. I think i have to order it online. Well i bought the tow rope though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Amar,

How much is the Airman tyre inflator? Is it available easily in the country? What make?
It costed me 49$ and it is easily available here(canada). Make is AirMan.

It is not just tyre inflator it has a bottle of tyre sealant with it if the puncture is leaking badly and you can drive your vehicle till 80km/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Amar,

Do not go for 275. Max is adviced for 235 on alloys. Beyond that you will find the steering very hard and tyre will be touching the springs and body. Turning radius reduces drastically. Especially for ladakh, you need less than 235 size where curves are very sharp and narrow.
Advise taken dwaraka, will go for geolander 235's. But there are very rare chances that i will be able to take my Gypsy to ladakh because as of yesterday, when i called the workshop i came to know that nothing has been done on the vehicle for last 3 weeks and everything including the engine build is still on plate. According to the pace of the project, i think it will not finish in next 15 days when i reach india. I am counting on my Endeavour now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
are the straps you bought kinetic ones? mine are with my cousin in kenya and he would bring it on his next trip,kinetic straps are pretty good and strong,your gypsy is going to be well equipped my friend,nice to see the gypsy growing up.

mandeep
yes they are kinetic one's, they just makes things more organized and easy to handle.

Last edited by Amar82 : 5th August 2009 at 22:41.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:51   #153
BHPian

I have a question for experts on Jeep/Gypsy's.

Is Gypsy's Carb different from Esteem carb or just the setting are different which can be tuned by using esteem carb?

The reason for asking the above question is that, the carburetor in my gypsy is missing parts(Mayapuri guys) , so the garage guys just took out my esteem's carb and fitted on gypsy for test drive.Now they are trying to find a used esteem carb from somewhere as used Gypsy carb is hard to find.

Amar

Last edited by Amar82 : 11th August 2009 at 22:53.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:15   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I have a question for experts on Jeep/Gypsy's.

Is Gypsy's Carb different from Esteem carb or just the setting are different which can be tuned by using esteem carb?

The reason for asking the above question is that, the carburetor in my gypsy is missing parts(Mayapuri guys) , so the garage guys just took out my esteem's carb and fitted on gypsy for test drive.Now they are trying to find a used esteem carb from somewhere as used Gypsy carb is hard to find.

Amar
Hi Amar,
Gypsy carb is totally different from Esteem carb, but still you can manage with esteem carb, don't go for Aisin Carb( OE in King) you wont get any spares for this carb, and its 22K for new carb. if you can get a weber its best alternative the model for MG 413 is WK600 - 32/36 DGEV-SUZUKI
Old 12th August 2009, 01:15   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Amar,
Gypsy carb is totally different from Esteem carb, but still you can manage with esteem carb, don't go for Aisin Carb( OE in King) you wont get any spares for this carb, and its 22K for new carb. if you can get a weber its best alternative the model for MG 413 is WK600 - 32/36 DGEV-SUZUKI
Thanks ,

I just ordered K600 kit with chrome air filter today, read a lot of good things about the performance of this weber carb. Weber costed me $299.

Amar
Old 12th August 2009, 05:04   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ,

I just ordered K600 kit with chrome air filter today, read a lot of good things about the performance of this weber carb. Weber costed me $299.

Amar
I found that Weber K600 kit uses stock air filter with an adapter plate, and there is another K601 kit with Chrome air filter from K&N, but i read some posts which said that there might be hood clearance issues using K601 kit and body of the vehicle has to to lifted to accomodate air filter on top of Carb, so i changed my order from K601 to K600.

Any bhpian currently using Weber K601/K600 carb kit on his Gypsy? Please provide some feedback.

I also read there is another Myside carb kit for SJ413?

Last edited by Amar82 : 12th August 2009 at 05:12.
Old 21st August 2009, 18:55   #157
BHPian

Amar, any updates on the status?

Are you in India or still remote restoring
Old 21st August 2009, 22:47   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Amar, any updates on the status?

Are you in India or still remote restoring
@Gurpreet

I am leaving for india today, just in few hours. My one baggage is filled with Gypsy stuff.

Regarding statusl, almost all the mechanical stuff is completed apart from few things:

1) Replace the Esteem Carb with the weber one.
2) Put an electronic fan instead of mechanical one.
3) Change the Dynmo if possible
4) Change Tyres/ alloys
5) Install music system.
6) Put carpets and seat covers
7) Insulation against the engine Firewall.
8) Install Front Guard to put extra lights.

It will cost me 2 days of my vacation to fix above issues which is not that bad.

Will send the pics as soon

Amar
Old 21st August 2009, 23:31   #159
BHPian

Balle Balle! awesome man!

Have fun in India and hope you enjoy your new ride!

Are you planning on leh trip if so have fun and click lots of pictures and a travelogue!

Do update on the performance of the weber carb. I think it is going to be a bomb performer.
Old 22nd August 2009, 00:44   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will cost me 2 days of my vacation to fix above issues which is not that bad.

Will send the pics as soon

Amar
I look forward to the photos.

You sure about just 2 days to fix the above issues , these workshop visits tend to stretch out.

Oh and Bon Voyage.
Old 4th September 2009, 12:32   #161
BHPian

As soon as i reached the workshop, this is how it looked.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc01279.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc01280.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc01281.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc01282.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc01283.jpg  

Old 4th September 2009, 13:44   #162
Senior - BHPian

oye kiddan Amar,

waited long time for you to post the gypsy's photos after your arrival in Ldh!

whats the clear lens headlights on the gypys?

gypsy looks NEW, totally NEW!

do post the performance part and total restoration $$!
Old 4th September 2009, 14:55   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
oye kiddan Amar,

waited long time for you to post the gypsy's photos after your arrival in Ldh!

whats the clear lens headlights on the gypys?

gypsy looks NEW, totally NEW!

do post the performance part and total restoration $$!
Bas Vadiya Parm Veer, Enjoying my days in india..

Well regarding gypsy. Paint quality is superb. even i took the gypsy to maruti suzuki dealer for some work and even they couldn't judge if it was old..

Well i had to sacrifice first 2 days in order to resolve heating issues with AC. But Gypsy's AC is the most effective AC is have ever seen, inspite of air leaks from all over the cabin ,it still feels very comfortable at low fan speed.Weber carb gave a new sound to engine. pickup is good too.

I was about to leave for leh but road got closed yesterday so had to delay the trip but i am not taking my gypsy along this time as i am not sure about its reliability as i haven't driven it much. So i just plugged the lights on endavour.

Anyways $$ figure will reach 3L as some of the work is still remaining.

New gypsy comes with these headlamps.. they are very cheap i think Rs.200 each
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc03366.jpg  

Last edited by Amar82 : 4th September 2009 at 15:00.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

well i have to say the paint quality is awesome and cant believe it turned out to be so good.

i think you better take your ford to Leh because you need some time to check the reliability of the restored gypsy.

glad to hear about the AC working wonderfully!

3lakhs is the right amount for restoring a gypsy as per your taste and desire.
Old 5th September 2009, 08:15   #165
BHPian

Few Pics after offroading in river bed near Chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc03379.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc03382.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc03385.jpg  

Last edited by Amar82 : 5th September 2009 at 08:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks