Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 06:02   #1
BHPian

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild

Hi Everyone,
Finally after reading so many rebuild/restore threads on this forum , i convinced myself to restore a Maruti Gypsy King for myslef. I had already planned to buy a new maruti gypsy but after reading thread from harjeev made be think twice, its more fun restoring an EX-Army rather than buying a new vehicle because you become attached to that vehicle as you have to go through lot of pain. But my story is bit different as i don't live in india anymore but visit every year for 1-2 months. So i have to make my parents do the hard work.
In Harjeev's thread i found an address of a dealer, which i gave it to my parents and asked them to inquire about any new gypsy that they have got recently. Finally they went to Delhi with a mechanic to check the body line underneath for any sign of welding ,etc.
At the End they finally got hold of a 99 1.3 carb gypsy, the dealer coated 1 lakh for the gypsy but i had already asked my dad to install power steering in it from the dealer(additional 7.5k). So in total the transportation of the vehicle and the power steering costed 1.12 lakh.
I want to give my sincere thanks to team-bhp member because without them i would have never even tought of initiating this project.
I will be uploading pics very soon.
Amar
Old 1st June 2009, 10:28   #2
BHPian

Congrats Amar and welcome to the offroading brethren!!
Knowing the process of rebuilding, I wish you (and your parents) the best of luck.
Though to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised to see your dad driving the Gypsy in future OTR's - That is the Gypsy effect.

Cheers and happy rebuilding

GB
Old 1st June 2009, 11:13   #3
BHPian

Here are few pics of the Gypsy
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc007421.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00708.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00709.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00710.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00712.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00713.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00715.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00732.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00764.jpg  

Old 1st June 2009, 11:37   #4
BHPian

Thanks @Gypsy-Boy

Yeah, I wish my dad likes driving a gypsy. Actually since childhood i have been dreaming about owning a gypsy but when you are studying your parents never approve of such things. Anyways, i would always love to attend Chandigarh or Delhi OTR if i am in india during that time.
Old 1st June 2009, 12:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with the restoration. Does not look in too bad condition. Have you got the RC work done with the RTO ?

Don't let anyone put you off the restoration. I found half the battle when restoring a vehicle is all the jip other people give you. Like you could have bought a brand new gypsy (for half the price you paid)....XYZ in ABC pind sold one just yesterday that was all done up....why you wasting so much money on that scrap....then when its all done they think you have actually taken their advice and bought a new vehicle.

Last edited by bigman : 1st June 2009 at 12:57.
Old 1st June 2009, 21:51   #6
BHPian

The process for registration has already been started, It will take a bit of time as :

1) I want the number to be registered in Ludhiana with PB-10 number plate(as it has a busy RTO) .
2) I want to have 2021 as the number

Exterior of vehicle is pretty ok, but its the interior that i have fix.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good work Amar.
It make me happy to see that I am having an infectious effect on others in the same way Randeeps thread had on me.
The vehicle indeed looks nice and I do think that much is needed to be done on the cosmetics. Just get the mechanical work done from a good workshop and be on your way. Cosmetics and everything can wait later on, the main thing that's important is the mechanical work. So dont compromise on that front.
Did you too buy it from Padam Motors?
Also you have mentioned that you are planning to get it registered in Ludhiana PB10 number. Is registering Army Disposals allowed in Ludhiana? Is yes what are the costs???
Old 1st June 2009, 23:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is the Ludhiana RTO ok with registering army auction vehicles ? Everyone appears to have a Zira plate.

Harjeevs thread also prompted me to get an army disposal MM550.

I guess informative threads by Harjeev and Randeep prompted quite a few of us to go hunting for ex army disposal vehicles. Should be quite a few army disposals coming up for completion soon. Off hand I can think of a 3-4 MM550's currently in the works on t-bhp and ac couple of gypsy.
Old 1st June 2009, 23:25   #9
BHPian

@Harjeev, I think its possible to get army vehicle in ludhiana, all you need is some connections. Dad has given 5K till now but will update the total cost once the process is over.
Yes i did buy it from Padam motors from a guy called "Beenu". My buget is 2.5L which includes installing A.C , 265/70/R15 Yokohama Geolanders as they are the only AT tyres that come in 265 width as far as i know or Michellin LTX 265/70/R15. Also trying to find a dealer where i can get 'Meshindo 10jj' rims for gypsy
Old 1st June 2009, 23:26   #10
BHPian

Seriously Satnam i am impressed...you even know that PB-47 is a Zira plate..
Old 1st June 2009, 23:52   #11
BHPian

Just one naive question: Is millenuim or meshindo same thing becuase the rims that i have in my esteem are millenuim? ..i am asking this because if i go to any dealer should in name millenuim 10j or Meshindo 10j as the website says both names.
I am thinking of ordering these rims if they are still in production. Does anyone have a clue???
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! bit IMHO 1 lac for a such condition gypsy is bit high.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, buddy!
Its going to be a tough task, but not an impossible one. So go for it, and you know who all to contact if you need help.
Good luck, and keep us posted on the developments.

Cheers!
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

When I had my jeep done I used Randeeps and Harjeevs thread quite a bit. I even printed pictures off and my dad used them as a guide book (rather like a restoration guide) for the body and chassis when instructing the workshop guys what we wanted done.

Look at Harjeevs thread on his MM550 and that of Randeep and there are plenty of pictures detailing the prep work to the body tub and chassis. Make sure you get the workshops to do all this now regardless of whether they say "..boyth vadiya chassis...rang karn di loyr ne" - for non punjabi speakers "excellent chassis no need for paint job". It is far easier to do all the rust proofing and prep work now rather than later.

Also ask your parents to visit as often as possible during the body prep stage as some painters are known to cut corners ...like putting liberal amounts of putty over the body and giving it a light sanding. They then spray over the putty which then begins to crack and the spray peel in less than a year.
Old 2nd June 2009, 04:20   #15
BHPian

@ SirAlec: Thanks

Even if buy a used 99 gypsy 413 carb, it costs you almost 2lakh and if the wheels and tyres are not of your choice its costs you another 30-40k and 15k for putting an AC + 7.5k for power steering , so you end up paying more than 2.5 lakh and still you don't know about its actual mechanical condtiton.

I would be replacing all the plactics of the vehicle with new one's including the dashboard and all the guage meter's(all the interior of the vehicle will be redone), also the front and rear bumpers would be replaced.

The best thing about retoring is you get a vehicle as good as a new and also the number plates disguise the model year

Most Viewed