Team-BHP - Will Mahindra Bolero be the best off roader ever on Indian soil???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Will Mahindra Bolero be the best off roader ever on Indian soil??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/59913-will-mahindra-bolero-best-off-roader-ever-indian-soil-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhandle (Post 1362293)
I guess gods here would even make a M800 best off-roader, plonk 4wd set, diff locks, 35" wheels, toyota engine and voila! So why not Bolero!

I really liked this ...wanted to attach a pic that i found on net

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 1344098)
Well the Bolero uses the DANA 44.

with a 28" Tyre (6.00x16) = 8.00" i.e 203mm

with 31" Tyres (7.50X16) = 8.00 + (3"/2) = 9.5" = 241mm

with 33" Tyres (33-12.50-15) = 8.00 + (5"/2) = 10.5" = 266mm

Regards,

Arka

Hi Arka,

A few clarifications needed on the above post. please:

1. Will changing tyres to the above sizes, have any bearing on the handling of the vehicle?
2. What about the speedo/ odometer readings, will they remain accurate?
3. I am presuming the rims remain the same?
4. Will they fit in the existing wheel well or will some modification have to be done?
5. Will the turning radius remain the same - lock to lock?
6. Will it be SAFE?

Regards,
Gautam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BolBolero (Post 1363376)
A few clarifications needed on the above post.

1. Will changing tyres to the above sizes, have any bearing on the handling of the vehicle?
2. What about the speedo/ odometer readings, will they remain accurate?
3. I am presuming the rims remain the same?
4. Will they fit in the existing wheel well or will some modification have to be done?
5. Will the turning radius remain the same - lock to lock?
6. Will it be SAFE?

Hi Gautam,

1) The Handling will get affected, while the contact patch increase; road grip, the additional height (taller) tyre will reduce Wheel Down force (Behram Dabhar). This can be compensated by lowering the Diff-Ratio.

3.73:1 to 4.27:1 or 4.88:1 to 5.38:1

2) There will be an error is the diff-ratio is not lowered.
New Tyre Dia. / Old Tyre Dia. = error X current speed = Actual speed

3) You can use the Same Steel Rims up to 10.50" width.

4) I do not recommend wheel Spacer.

5) For 57" Track Solid Axle the Turning Radius will reduce on account on Tyre Section width coupled with Tyre Diameter. Will reduce mariginally, the stoppers behind the steering knuckle have to be adjusted.

6) Depends on what tyre you use and how you drive :D

Regards,

Arka

@ Arka,

thanks for the detailed info.

Gautam.

Arka, which engine you reckon would be the best transplant for the underpowered existing mill on a 4x4 Bolero??? The idea is to get a powerful engine which is fairly straight fit (including the gbox) and isnt ripping once pockets off. Scorpio engine- hard to find and expensive, what other alternatives can be considered keeping in mind the final objective of
OFF-ROADING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would there be any option under 50K, all expense covered??

Now, if the engine department is taken care of, all that stays pending is tyre set up, which isnt too difficult I believe.

p.s:Pardon my ignorance, you keep mentioning about changing the diff ratio, well how exactly is this done? By changing the drive gear itself? If yes, are custom ratios easily available?

Bit offcontext but just thought i'd share this amazing prado video...the damn thing knocked me out cold!!! :Shockked:

Im sure the driver knows what he is doing really well here!!! I almost thought for a sec that the cars gonna go dead cockroach. Cant believe such a civil car achieving managing such feat, with relative easy if I may...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 1431257)
Arka, which engine you reckon would be the best transplant for the underpowered existing mill on a 4x4 Bolero???

Wait for Mahindra to release a 4x4 variant of the 2.5 common-rail. That's your best bet. Factory install = Only way to go. Especially since the common-rails come with their own nuances (weight, size, gearbox mating ability etc.). Pretty much the only reasons I opted for a Bolero 2.5 IDI in my Classic, and not the Scorpio engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 1440690)
Bit offcontext but just thought i'd share this amazing prado video...the damn thing knocked me out cold!!! :Shockked:

Im sure the driver knows what he is doing really well here!!! I almost thought for a sec that the cars gonna go dead cockroach. Cant believe such a civil car achieving managing such feat, with relative easy if I may...

Looks like I forgot to paste the link...here it is...

YouTube - Offroad Prado on steep rock