Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 18:44   #91
BHPian

re: A restored MM550 and how...

Sachin,
Great looking jeep, am sure with the new engine and gearbox, it must be a pleasure to drive on and off road. Marvellous End Result. Congratulations on the same.
-salil
Old 14th March 2011, 20:42   #92
BHPian

Sashas,

Could you please some pictures of the Engine bay.

thanks
Srinivas
Old 28th November 2011, 23:23   #93
Team-BHP Support

Sachin's MM550 has undergone one more iteration. The Qualis engine while worked well, did have a heating problem that couldn't be solved.

Therefore, he switched to DI engine with KMT90 gearbox. This is the same DI engine as in Thar DI. This Jeep now has very powerful AC, enough chill you to bones. This weekend we tested the offroad capability.

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261309.jpg

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261310.jpg

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261316.jpg

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261318.jpg

First we tried to climb in 1st low, but the hill was too dusty and slippery for that. But it was alright in 2nd low. BTW, this runs on 4.27 axle ratio with 31 inch tyres.

The engine bay, checkout the massive condenser and the plumbing.

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261322.jpg

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261323.jpg

The Snorkel

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261335.jpg

Checkout the interiors

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261327.jpg

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261330.jpg

It is as modern as they come. Notice the gizmos on top. Bluetooth and extreme left, phone charger at extreme right, and the HU hidden behind.

A restored MM550 and how...-pb261333.jpg

Thanks to the DI engine and 4.27 ratio, it easily hits 120kmph on the highway. And it has no seat belts! I have asked him to add that as a top priority. It is the only safety gizmo he can add to a vehicle like this.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th November 2011 at 23:26.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The engine bay, checkout the massive condenser and the plumbing.

Attachment 849123
Did you mean compressor?
Old 29th November 2011, 08:19   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Did you mean compressor?
I don't know, you tell me. I am always confused between compressor and condenser. I know their functions are different, but I can't identify them by sight.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2011 at 08:29.
Old 29th November 2011, 09:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, he switched to DI engine with KMT90 gearbox. This is the same DI engine as in Thar DI
I dont think so... could you check with Sachin/'s mech regd his engine model please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2209540

The new thar Mdi has a turbo charged engine. I think his jeep is currently having the Mdi3200 (n/a) version.

Question - Is the bell housing of the MDI3200 a direct fit to the KMT90?

Last edited by svsantosh : 29th November 2011 at 09:36.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:11   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I dont think so... could you check with Sachin/'s mech regd his engine model please.
Why not? Isn't Thar DI having MDI3200? TC is the only difference, that is why I said same.

Quote:
Must be adopter plate, I don't know. I'll check anyway. The funny thing was the gear lever still has the 5+1 knob. Those who don't know will keep trying to engage the 5th gear that doesn't exist.

There was slip in the 2nd gear too. When I was driving down the slope, the gear lever slipped back to neutral. I was aware of the problem, so there was no shock.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2011 at 10:13.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... without getting too micro part level, can we safely say the only difference between the MDI3200 NA and MDI3200TC is just the TC and its plumbing? Nothing else different like starter motor, FIP, nozzles (PSI rating), etc etc... I 'may' need a engine rebuild in a years time approx, i would rather put the 25-30K + exchange my engine if its just a simple swap job.

Samu - it would be a great help if you can find out the adaptor plate or not tip. PS, last year - on a 'pikup' with NGT510 (IIRC) the driver dried and screwed up his complete GB. My mech brought in a gujri KMT90 and scratched his head for a day and fixed it somehow, pity I did not stick around to learn what he did. He has no access to make a adaptor plate...
Old 29th November 2011, 12:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Samu san, I am not a Jeeper and don't want be one (I am saying this every morning and evening) so pardon my ignorance.

Some questions:
- the overheating he experienced with the Qualis engine during the OTR sessions only or in normal commute also?

- if you don't mind can you post the cost of the DI switchover?

- are these engine transplants RTO approved?

I am asking the third question because I am under the imperssion that one cannot swap engines in Kerala..maybe someone can enlight me in this matter.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th November 2011 at 12:44.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:13   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got the answer for this today at the garage. There are bell housings that can mate KMT90 to MDI3200. In fact this one came with hydraulic clutch, not the usual cable. He has the same type in his Bolero camper.

Sorry about the mobile pic, didn't have my camera.

A restored MM550 and how...-img_20111201_144546.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd December 2011 at 11:55. Reason: changed pickup to camper
Old 1st December 2011, 18:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pic Samu, if I ever come up with idea to do this mod - will be helpful. And I dont think the MDI3200 clutch can be a manual 'cable' clutch, may be it needs this hydraulic clutch. PS - tell your friend to watch out for this cylinder hanging below the jeep, I have seen a thar bust its clutch cylinder in a recent OTR.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:48   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
- the overheating he experienced with the Qualis engine during the OTR sessions only or in normal commute also?
The Qualis engine didn't do much offroading, so I am thinking regular roads only.

Quote:
- if you don't mind can you post the cost of the DI switchover?
I don't mind, but I don't know the figure. I doubt even Sachin knows. The fact is Sachin always has one or two vehicles permanently getting restored or rebuilt in this garage. The MM550 is out of the garage, but he has plans to replace the fenders and softtop. The gearbox is having play and gears slip. So it is a work in progress. He also has a Tata Sierra which is getting rebuilt. So he continuously pays the mechanic on a monthly basis. Knowing the cost for one Jeep is going to be very difficult.

Quote:
- are these engine transplants RTO approved?
Yup, and by the way pigs fly.

Quote:
I am asking the third question because I am under the imperssion that one cannot swap engines in Kerala..maybe someone can enlight me in this matter.
They should borrow our pigs.

Quote:
Thanks for the pic Samu, if I ever come up with idea to do this mod - will be helpful.
DI on a CJ340? Will make it too nose heavy.

Quote:
And I dont think the MDI3200 clutch can be a manual 'cable' clutch, may be it needs this hydraulic clutch.
I wouldn't know, I am barely literate in Jeep mechanics.

Quote:
PS - tell your friend to watch out for this cylinder hanging below the jeep, I have seen a thar bust its clutch cylinder in a recent OTR.
Not a concern in this Bolero Camper 4x4, it is purely an on-road Jeep. That part is like 250mm above the ground.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd December 2011 at 11:56. Reason: changed pickup to camper
Old 1st December 2011, 23:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I 'may' need a engine rebuild in a years time approx, i would rather put the 25-30K + exchange my engine if its just a simple swap job.
Hi Santhosh,

Your Jeep is equipped with Peugeot engine and you are talking about Di, sure it is not a simple swap job. Remember during this process you may have to alter your engine mount on the chassis to accommodate a Di engine. Let me tell you, unless you have broken chassis and you want to play around, I wouldn't recommend touching up on the geometry with a local tinker.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DI on a CJ340? Will make it too nose heavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I wouldn't recommend touching up on the geometry with a local tinker
Especially since i have a all original CJ340 except for the grill, i am not going to do touch my current jeep ever. May be just get a near perfect engine rebuild done some where down the line...

Just getting/talking ideas about a hot rod SWB somewhere down the line - a total bisebele + vaangi baath + pongal jeep... (throw in some mixture and chutney too...)
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:21   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Especially since i have a all original CJ340 except for the grill, i am not going to do touch my current jeep ever. May be just get a near perfect engine rebuild done some where down the line...

Just getting/talking ideas about a hot rod SWB somewhere down the line - a total bisebele + vaangi baath + pongal jeep... (throw in some mixture and chutney too...)
Thats good. If you want a real good SWB, may be you need to think about getting the original 4spd gearbox and engine from Mitsubishi CJ3B-J4 or J4C. I think one of them or either of them are dieselized SWB and rock stars in its original configuration compare to any other CJ3B variant. (may be experts here have different opinion.)
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks