Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 19:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

What To Do With My MM550

What to do with my MM550

Hey Guys
I am back ;-)
This thought came to my mind and this is how it happened. I have been driving my 3B for the past couple of weeks and the 550 is standing neglected. Today I had to go somewhere and I din’t even feel like taking out the 550 and went on the CJ3B. Its not that the 550 is giving me any issues or unregistered or anything. Its just that I feel more comfortable and at easy driving a 3B.
So the other day a friend of mine told me that a LHD is available for sale and I already have a LHD with me, so I thought that if I sell the 550 the money I get I will be able to restore the LHD that’s with me and maybe purchase a 3rd LHD CJ3B and restore that too.
Another thought also came to my mind that I wouldn’t be able to drive the CJ3B long distances, but I can always manage to get a tow hook fabricated specifically for my Tata Safari and tow my 3B’s behind my Safari.
SO I would now like my fellow bhpians to maybe suggest me
Should I sell off my 550?
If yes, what is the price I can expect?

I am just thinking aloud and not finalized anything yet!!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th June 2009 at 19:47. Reason: Thread Title corrected
Old 17th June 2009, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

yes, you will have to sell one of them off as it doesnt make sense to pile up automobiles and dont drive them.

Price for 550 should depend upon how much you have spent on that and what premium you want on top of that.

Its because 550 is not available in regular market so not easy to estimate the asking price.

cheers
Sandeep
Old 17th June 2009, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
What to do with my MM550

Hey Guys
I am back ;-)
This thought came to my mind and this is how it happened. I have been driving my 3B for the past couple of weeks and the 550 is standing neglected. Today I had to go somewhere and I din’t even feel like taking out the 550 and went on the CJ3B. Its not that the 550 is giving me any issues or unregistered or anything. Its just that I feel more comfortable and at easy driving a 3B.
So the other day a friend of mine told me that a LHD is available for sale and I already have a LHD with me, so I thought that if I sell the 550 the money I get I will be able to restore the LHD that’s with me and maybe purchase a 3rd LHD CJ3B and restore that too.
Another thought also came to my mind that I wouldn’t be able to drive the CJ3B long distances, but I can always manage to get a tow hook fabricated specifically for my Tata Safari and tow my 3B’s behind my Safari.
SO I would now like my fellow bhpians to maybe suggest me
Should I sell off my 550?
If yes, what is the price I can expect?

I am just thinking aloud and not finalized anything yet!!!
i wish i had the money . anyways sell it off if yuo are not going to drive it and get a small trailer built for your CJ. get the CJ striped and get it to bareminimum for only offroading.
Old 17th June 2009, 22:41   #4
BHPian

Harjeev if i were in your shoes, then i might not sell MM550 unless i don't like it driving or if i didn't had space to park it.

Regarding restoring 3B , you might get extra funds next year,
Old 17th June 2009, 23:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just adding some thoughts to the first post.
The first one got posted my mistake So re-posting in the same thread.

What to do with my MM550? Keep it or Sell it???

Hey Jeepers
This thought came to my mind and I thought that ill take advise from the all the members...

I have been driving around in my 3B for the past couple of weeks and the 550 is standing neglected. Last I drove the 550 was at the 31st May OTR and the performance was great!!!
Today I had to go somewhere and I din’t even feel like taking out the 550 and went on the CJ3B. Its not that the 550 is giving me any issues or unregistered or anything. Its just that I feel much more comfortable and at easy in driving around in my 3B.
Also as many members might know I also have an early model 1960's LHD CJ3B with me, so I thought what if I sell the 550 the money I get I will be able to restore the LHD that’s currently parked at my house.
Plus with the additional cash I get in hand I can easily do lots of stuff like additional set of bigger and better tyres for for my 3b's, restore the LHD, add a winch, etc etc etc the list can go on and on...

Another thought also came to my mind that I wouldn’t be able to drive the CJ3B long distances specifically outstation OTR's, but I can always manage to get around that by getting a tow hook fabricated specifically for my Tata Safari and a fixed tow contraption for my 3B’s.

So I would now like true and honest advise as to
  • Should I sell off my 550?
  • If yes, what is the price I can expect?
I am just thinking aloud and not finalized anything as yet!!!
I might not even sell it!!!

But if I do I do not want any premium over what I spent neither I want to book a loss, and like I said earlier I din't do up the 550 with the intention of selling it. Had I done so I would have made it much more quickly and much cheaper.
Like for example the complete brake system is brand new right from the brake cylinders, to brake lines, disks etc. Even in the engine the crank and the block is old rest mostly everything is brand new and the work gone in can easily be gauged with the sound when the engine is cranked up.
So this well done up vehicle I am not 100% sure whether I should keep it or sell it. As I would never ever dream of going through all the pain, time etc again ever in my life and even if I do I know I the outcome wouldn't be as good as it is now.
But at the same time I think that if I am not going to drive it, its not gaining value with each passing day... So you see what kind of delima I am in!!!

So I am just toying with the idea
If I sell it, what price I might get for it???

Please help clarifying my doubts???

Thanks
Harjeev
Old 18th June 2009, 00:52   #6
BHPian

What i am feeling from your thread is that , you are not finding the right place for MM550 in your garage because you already have safari for long drive and for offroading you prefer 3B more than MM550.

So moral of the story is that even you like it but you have no use for it practically. So i would say sell it, if you are not of collector type's.

Yeah i totally agree that the money you will get by selling it will make your 3B's a lot better with all those offroading gadgets.

Regarding the price, if i had to buy a MM550 will not cross 2L segment.
Old 18th June 2009, 02:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

A lot of time, energy, effort and money was spent on your MM550. Regardless of whether you sell it now or in a few months you will get a similar amount for it. Why not use it for a few more OTR's before you sell it?
Old 18th June 2009, 05:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Amar
I think that you hit the nail on the head. The safari is the long distance cruiser, for city driving between myself my dad and brother we have apart from the jeeps & the safari we have Ford Ikons(2) an Optra and a Maruti 800. Further and thank god for it, I do not have any parking problem, like even staying in Delhi I am blessed with ample parking space for our vehicles.
But again regarding the price I have spent 50% more than what you have written and you would agree had I been building this vehicle with the inention of selling it, the cost would have been much less.

@satnam
Thanks buddy. This is exactly what my buddies at NIOC are also telling me. And again I have not decided to sell, I just floated the idea to see what opinion others have on this thought.
Old 18th June 2009, 07:36   #9
BHPian

What was the total cost for the rebuild of your MM550?
Old 18th June 2009, 08:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you would recover the entire money that you pumped into this project.

If you do sell, I am willing to take it at a very nominal rate.
Old 18th June 2009, 09:51   #11
BHPian

Catch 22

Hi Harjeev,
My take on this matter is as follows;
1. The chances of recouping the money you have spent on this project is very small. Not to mention the time and effort you have put into this.
2. Determine the price you "will" get say in 6 months, 1 year or 2 years. Keep in mind that there will be some appreciation as the vehicle gets more and more difficult to get. Also keep in mind that there may be newer vehicles on the market (from M&M or Fiat may decide to bring the Jeep brand to India - of course all speculation). But, the newer vehicles will not be in the same target market as your 550.
3. Use the 550 until you get to the point where you "feel" you have used it enough to match the determined market price. This may also include the "enlightenment" you have gained in learning about the vehicle and off-roading etc.
4. Find someone close to you that you know will take care of the Jeep and you will not feel bad for selling it at a lower price.

The downside is that the new paint job will not longer be new after a period of time, also the new tyres will be worn. But, the upside is that the ride will be refined and all the issues will be taken care of. Of course you have to stop pumping in more dough on this vehicle.

As far as getting one more CJ, as an outsider looks like overkill. In my experience, I could have bought 3 or 4 Jeeps in the amount I spent on my one 3B. But, I know I will not be happy if it is not "upgraded" to a certain level of a combination of looks and functionality.

If you think buying one more as an investment, as the prices for good 3Bs are bound to increase, then you can buy and hold, without spending on any money on it. If it were me, I would not put all my eggs in one basket!
Old 18th June 2009, 10:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
I can understand your point, the 550 is not fitting into your usage perspective. However, as some people have already said, no matter how good price you get for the jeep, it can't justify the time, passion and toiling you devoted to the jeep. And though the Safari is way ahead in long distance comfort, the 550 can serve the same purpose once in a while. And since you have done a thorough restoration, i don't think it will need frequent attention like the 3b. So better to keep it, at least for now. May be you can 1st restore the LHD you have now, and then think of buying another LHD in future. Just my thoughts.
-regards,
Old 18th June 2009, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

To Sell or not to Sell

Hi Harjeev,

My Thoughts,

1) Keep All Three

2) Sell All Three

3) Sell The MM550XD because its got a FUGLY Power Steering Mod.

4) If you sell any; can you buy a similar vehicle for the same price?

5) Use the MM550XD for OTRs and use the CJ3Bs for Show-off meets (dinner/parties/marriages etc) That's what I do.

Regards,

Arka
Old 18th June 2009, 13:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody for your inputs.
I was not 100% certain that's the reason I floated the idea. I am still in the thinking stage and this much I have decided that under no circumstances I will book a loss and sell it for less than what I have spent on it!!!

So until the right opportunity comes my way I will drive it around and time is not a concern.
So whenever I come across a good offer I will think and decide at that time.
Thanks for all the help and support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
What was the total cost for the rebuild of your MM550?
You wont believe it, but here's the bomb
I spent 3L+ on the 550!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Hi Harjeev,
My take on this matter is as follows;
1. The chances of recouping the money you have spent on this project is very small. Not to mention the time and effort you have put into this.
Agree Totally
3. Use the 550 until you get to the point where you "feel" you have used it enough to match the determined market price. This may also include the "enlightenment" you have gained in learning about the vehicle and off-roading etc.
I think that Ill take this path

The downside is that the new paint job will not longer be new after a period of time, also the new tyres will be worn. But, the upside is that the ride will be refined and all the issues will be taken care of. Of course you have to stop pumping in more dough on this vehicle.
The paint job is hardly a concern as I can easily get it repainted for around 10-15K in Mayapuri.

As far as getting one more CJ, as an outsider looks like overkill. In my experience, I could have bought 3 or 4 Jeeps in the amount I spent on my one 3B. But, I know I will not be happy if it is not "upgraded" to a certain level of a combination of looks and functionality.
That was just a thought. I am not getting another CJ3B immediately. I wrote it for comparison sakes.

If you think buying one more as an investment, as the prices for good 3Bs are bound to increase, then you can buy and hold, without spending on any money on it. If it were me, I would not put all my eggs in one basket!
If sometime I come across a 3B and the guy is willing to sell it for very cheap maybe dirt cheap, then I will think about it, otherwise even with 2 jeeps my hands are full at the moment.
;-))
Old 18th June 2009, 15:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

OMG, 3L+ is too much money my friend and i doubt someone going to pay 3.5L for the Jeep.

But keep trying and maybe you can also port in our classifieds and lets hope we get a buyer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks