Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:50   #16
BHPian

4x4 addict,

I've got a 4x4 Scorp DX, 2006 model CRDe. During a recent trip 11-day trip to Ladakh it completely redeemed itself (travelogue and pictures hopefully in a week, catching up with work). We toured Ladakh in a four-Scorpio convoy - two 2wd CRDes, one non CRDe (gd1418), and my 4x4 CRDe (which was called in for rescue duties on 3 occasions).

In 2006, I paid Rs 9.37 lakh on-road Delhi for it. I had to wait for 4 weeks after booking for delivery.

From what I hear, the 2.2 mHawk 4wd, is being made for export only - to South Africa and there's a 2.5 L for the Australian market. As for domestic consumers, wait on! Why M&M, why?

Cheers,
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
4x4 addict,

I've got a 4x4 Scorp DX, 2006 model CRDe. During a recent trip 11-day trip to Ladakh it completely redeemed itself (travelogue and pictures hopefully in a week, catching up with work). We toured Ladakh in a four-Scorpio convoy - two 2wd CRDes, one non CRDe (gd1418), and my 4x4 CRDe (which was called in for rescue duties on 3 occasions).

In 2006, I paid Rs 9.37 lakh on-road Delhi for it. I had to wait for 4 weeks after booking for delivery.

From what I hear, the 2.2 mHawk 4wd, is being made for export only - to South Africa and there's a 2.5 L for the Australian market. As for domestic consumers, wait on! Why M&M, why?

Cheers,
And futhermore, the jeeps exported to other countries have a better finish and quality control.
I saw the Scorpio Getaway in South Africa in 2006, while it came to Indian showrooms nearly after a gap of two years.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:21   #18
BANNED

Or you could try the Tata Xenon in lieu of the Safari, should be a little more capable than the Safari if it has reduced weight.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Or you could try the Tata Xenon in lieu of the Safari, should be a little more capable than the Safari if it has reduced weight.
Well my vote goes to safari among the two..i mean safari and xenon. Xenon is lighter and there ends the advantage. Safari has-

1. better approach angle and breakover angle
2. Better suspension articulation and rides much better
3. Better interiors
4. overall length is shorter, better for parking and better turning circle

Now i personally feel that scorpio is better than safari for pure offroading primarly due to better low end torque and far more manageble dimensions. But price at which Scorpio 4wd is offered that too the older version, it is simply not worth it ( Scorpio's older Crde still scores handsome points over TATA 2.2 l engine purely on low end torque)

well coming back to the objective of the thread, 4x4 addict is looking for a highway vehicle with ocassional offroading. Safari suits the bill better here.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 23rd June 2009 at 22:45.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:01   #20
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Xenon is lighter and there ends the advantage.
Well, Xenon is lighter than the Safari but only just, about 180 kgs (2170 vs. 1990 Kgs). And Xenon loses some GC too. Great exterior looks but interiors suck big time. All said, Safari GX should be a good bet.
Old 24th June 2009, 02:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Xenon is longer than Safari and as Vinod mentioned Safari has better Approach and breakover angle.

In the current scenario, Safari EX4x4 is a totalt VFM considering the luxury too that Safari offers and for moderate off-roading its perfect at this price.

Mahindra seems more happy selling 2wd UVs rather than at least offering a 4x4 version of mhawk at least on order.
Old 24th June 2009, 05:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

as mentioned in the other thread regarding racism.. it also exsits in india where our indian people are happy catering to "gora's" while making their own kind wait for a service.
This is what is happening with mahindra. They are more interested in the foreign market and not its very own.But they dont understand the fact that at the price range they are offering their cars.. International company's offer far superior products.
Old 24th June 2009, 08:15   #23
Team-BHP Support

It is not racism, let's not too creative here. They are looking at pure numbers, if they think the number of 4x4 versions doesn't justify launching it in India, they won't. The marketing chaps who ultimately decide such things, don't think emotionally. They only think by cold hard numbers.
Old 24th June 2009, 08:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

its not racism actually.. i was quoting some one from that thread Our very own indians are busy catering to "gora's" than helping their own.
its very evident all over india.
But i seriously dont see any harm in mahindra getting the 4WD Mhawk.When tata can do it with the exact same engine.
Maybe it is coming.some people mentioned that its undergoing test at ARAI. Well its not that they have to invest a huge amount on it. Even now the 4x4 model is not readily available ,takes a month or so to deliver it.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:39   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are looking at pure numbers, if they think the number of 4x4 versions doesn't justify launching it in India, they won't.
What's the cost of launching in India? Peanuts. If the product is ready, and is being exported, by all means Mahindra ought to sell it here as well.

1. Minimal marketing. Niche segment

2. Takes Mahindra into homes that they otherwise could only dream of.

3. Helps the brand & overall image. Especially in the mind of enthusiasts.

@ Mahindra : Build it on order & make us wait. But release the damn 4x4s! I speak for all Mahindra 4x4's, not only the Scorpio.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:43   #26
R_R
BHPian

@Mahindra: "If you build it, they will come"
Old 17th July 2009, 15:52   #27
BANNED

I somehow get a feel that Mahindra would launch Scorpio 4x4 before Fortuner's launch to take out as many numbers as they can. I know the segments are entirely diff. but still there are people who trust Mahindra & are in a hurry!
Old 6th August 2009, 00:35   #28
BHPian

Well don't know anybody noticed yet, but the Scorpio website now quotes prices for both SLX 4WD at Rs. 9,54,000 and VLX BS-3 4WD at Rs. 9,92,800 respectively, ex- Bangalore. The VLX BS-3 2WD is priced at Rs. 9,16,400.

So, VLX 4WD is just Rs. 76,400 dearer than normal 2WD VLX? And the difference between 4WD M-Hawk VLX and 4WD CRDe SLX is just Rs. 38,800? What sort of a pricing strategy is that?

Or is it that a non- ABS CRDe Scorpio makes better sense off-road? In real & difficult 4WD situations, ABS is not effective, somebody told me. Don't know whether it's true.

And, finally if Mahindra is offering the M- Hawk with 4WD at that price, won't it be great? But then what about the advance many of us Scorpio owners paid for the Fortuner?
Old 6th August 2009, 13:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

This has been on my mind for a very long time. The best option IMO is to get the differential of the Scorpio Getaway and install in the Scorpio 4WD. This differential is a LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

Question: Is there any way to get LSD or a locker into the rear differential? That's the show stopper for me.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Or is it that a non- ABS CRDe Scorpio makes better sense off-road? In real & difficult 4WD situations, ABS is not effective, somebody told me. Don't know whether it's true.
That's true. ABS is not for slushy situations, it gets confused and gets activated. At low traction situations, the wheels will lock very easily upon braking. That is why one should avoid applying brakes in icy, snowy, slushy conditions. If you have ABS, it will start working and kick your foot back. You should see ABS trying to do a disco at 5mph speed on snowy/icy roads on the slightest braking action.

Most Viewed