Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 14:06   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I went to MPL Motors in Chennai to book a Scorpio 4WD and the sales man told me "Sir Scorpio is not available in 4WD".

So I told him to contact Mahindra and call me back on Monday with the price in Chennai. Can you believe this? These guys are so clueless. What kind of training do they get, if anything at all??
Old 20th December 2009, 15:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I went to MPL Motors in Chennai to book a Scorpio 4WD and the sales man told me "Sir Scorpio is not available in 4WD".

So I told him to contact Mahindra and call me back on Monday with the price in Chennai. Can you believe this? These guys are so clueless. What kind of training do they get, if anything at all??
arent they called up for training for new vehicles and launches, mahindra should inform and confirm with every dealer in india with availaility of 4x4 scorpio.Lack of information from company i would say.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

finally, then 4x4addict - you are taking the bite - which colour?
All price sheet have like 6 options for 4WD in scorp now - if I correctly remember the ones I saw in AML in Hyd. BS3/BS4 and w/wo airbags.

PS: from scorp website for chennai

MODEL PRICE (in INR)**
LX 735500
M2DI 691100
SLE 834500
SLX-4WD 972100
VLX BS3 2WD 938700
VLX BS3 2WD-Air Bag 958000
VLX BS3 4WD 1015100
VLX BS3 4WD-Air Bag 1034400
VLX AT BS3 2WD 1017700
VLX AT BS3 2WD-Air Bag 1037000
VLX AT BS3 4WD 1111100
VLX AT BS3 4WD-Air Bag 1130400
VLX BS4 2WD 948800
VLX BS4 2WD-Air Bag 968100
GETAWAY 2WD 770100
GETAWAY 4WD 868600
Old 20th December 2009, 22:20   #64
AWD
BHPian

@Geek, I also wanted get a Scorp 4x4 for myself but from the prices you have mentioned, I have been able to gather that the difference between the base LX & VLX 4x4 version is a whopping 3L Rs! Moreover I do not want a tech. packed 4x4, what I need is a basic SUV with A.C, P.S, some other goodies.
It seems Mahindra is milking the ordinary 4x4 enthusiast by not offering a 4x4 option on the LX.
The margin money of ~ 3L can fetch a good hardcore 2nd hand Jeep completely re-done.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:00   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I was going to order a Scorpio VLX 4WD soon as it was launched, but I happened to pick up a Nissan Patrol in Sept so I put my Scorpio 4WD plans on hold. But the Nissan was to large to use in a practical way in Chennai so I sold it yesterday and decided to get either a used Endeavor 4WD or Scorpio 4WD. Since I haven't seen many good Endy 4x4 available, I think it will most likely be the Scorp 4WD.

I was initially thinking of the AT 4WD version but I am not happy with the fact that the Scorpio AT lacks the L2, L1, L modes or Tiptronic so I don't want to come down hill riding the brakes every time I come down from Ooty or my estates in Kumily. I am probably going to get the VLX BS3 4WD-Air Bag version. which is 10.3 lakhs according to the Mahindra website. I am not a big fan of white due to it's popularity amongst the politico class in Tamil Nadu. I would have loved Silver if I could get it but, I guess I have to settle for black. Also black is the only way to get black interiors. I am also checking with Mahindra if i can get the eight seater config with front facing third row seating. But from reading one of the threads posted by SS-Traveller, it looks like the only options for 4x4 is 7 Seater with middle row captains or with side facing third row.

Does anyone know if the free extended warranty option is still available. Dealership said that they have only the free insurance offer. This maybe better since the insurance is more than the 10K extended warranty cost.

@AWD:

I agree with you about the unwanted electronic crap. Frankly the only things I care about in the Scorpio are the 2.2 Mhawk engine, the Airbags, ABS. I couldn't care two hoots for rain sensing wipers, automatic lights etc. I am not that brain-dead yet that I don't know when to turn on my lights and wipers. Maybe when I am about 90 years old and wearing diapers, I may appreciate these features. I am not even sure where I will ever get a chance to use cruise control as in most of the roads I drive, I cannot even maintain the same speed for 5 minutes, unless, I want to leave a string of dead cows, pedestrians and damaged two wheelers.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 20th December 2009 at 23:08.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2009, 00:14   #66
BHPian

dear 4x4 addict,
i can understand your anguish at paying a lot of extra cash for cosmetics but let me reassure you that once you get used to these goodies you will like having them on your next car too. its just like power windows i thought they were a waste and unsafe coz you need the electric power to operate them (that was my reasoning not too long ago) but today i am pretty happy that the new scorp has a one touch up and down window. (although something deep in my head keeps reminding me that they are still unsafe)
you have to drive on the golden quadrilateral and the new expressways to appreciate the beauty of cruise control. i am dying to play around with them once i get mine
Old 21st December 2009, 00:37   #67
BHPian

Hi 4X4 ,

As you know that i have a black 2.2 mHawk 4WD which is almost 1 month old , the trick is to ask ,demand , and insist.

1. Demand you want a 8 seater ... don't worry , they will give, don't give up , ask and ask again !!

2. Extended Warranty -- i got it , ask the m & m manager who is in charge of the showroom which you are talking to .. he will give, tell them SS-Traveller, I also have got it , then why can't they !!

The trick is to demand , not ASK ...they will relent , be polite , be adamant ..they WILL give...

In case you want my extended warranty card , let me know , i can scan it and send it to you !!

Cheers
Raghu.

Last edited by vraghuz : 21st December 2009 at 00:38.
vraghuz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2009, 00:47   #68
BHPian

rohan, what have you booked - I think I missed that thread.
Gizzmos: rain and light sensor are nice to have but not something you cannot live without - That one touch up/down window has a mind of its own - I would shove my whole arm rather than a finger testing it.

4x4 :
"I am also checking with Mahindra if i can get the eight seater config with front facing third row seating. But from reading one of the threads posted by SS-Traveller, it looks like the only options for 4x4 is 7 Seater with middle row captains or with side facing third row" - AFAIK - 8 seater option is available in 4x4. Black is good. Just dont get chromed.
Old 21st December 2009, 00:51   #69
BHPian

Rajesh,

See the RED lining in the buttons in the mHawk.. !! see the NEW Black seats....., SEE the Chroooome....

No camera Tricks ,, its alllll there..

Cheers
Raghu...
Old 21st December 2009, 01:23   #70
AWD
BHPian

@4x4, its good to learn that you are safety conscious but I won't want to have Airbags & ABS to a lesser extent on my 4x4 vehicle. You never know when you hit a rock below(offroading) & the bags are all over your face! Not entirely sure how would ABS act during 4x4 excursions, help or make the task diff.

Most of other Gizmo crap is likely to go bust at the 1st instance during an offroad outing. To me LX with 4x4 will appeal much more. Though Im not short of funds but carrying unnecessary items along is not what I would appretiate. Basic comfort like A.C, P.S, Power windows, Central lock, are enough for a 4x4 vehicle. Well, instruments like Winch, Compass, Tug, Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, etc. which could help in adverse conditions are welcome in a 4x4 but as you mentioned, CC, Rain sensing wipers, auto headlamps, TPM's, etc are not of much use. Rather their going kaput & subsequent charges could bear heavily on an offroaders mind.

Even SUV's like Fortuner, Endeavour, Pajero come without extra crap. SUV'S are supposed to be rough & tough with basic strong electricals. Features of VLX are a complete pile on for a 4x4 vehicle, wonder what MM are thinking!
Old 21st December 2009, 08:20   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@AWD:

I don't intend to use my Scorpio 4WD to go boulder bashing with the jeepthrills folks. I periodically go off the beaten path on work when I go looking for land to buy in hill stations. I just want the peace of mind of 4WD. For my jeepthrills type of off-roading, I have a 4WD mm540. Since my Scorpio will be my long distance cruiser, I want the safety and comfort features.

However, I do agree with you that they should offer 4x4 option on the LX atleast on order. This way people who want a no-nonsense 4x4 vehicle can have a choice besides the utilitarian Bolero. BTW, Bolero DI 4x4 meets your need. It's is exactly a basic and bullet proof vehicle with a mechanical transfer case without any unwanted electronics. The engine is a slouch on the highway but it makes good torque at low speeds/rpms. I know cause I have transplanted a Bolero Turbo DI engine into my mm540.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 21st December 2009 at 08:23.
Old 21st December 2009, 08:40   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 4*4 addict - I totally agree with you. The Scorpio LX is a very sensible VFM proposition and it must have a 4 wheel drive option to choose from. I drive a black Scorpio LX model. If I had the 4 wheel drive option open to me, I would have taken it. Alas! Que Sera Sera!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st December 2009, 09:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Should be possible once you know the differential specs.
But you'll have to get the 'auburn' from your homeland, DD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Since you do not know the specs how do you know it will take an Auburn?

Wow, a classic one DD.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:48   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes and I second this completely
Who wants all the fiddly electronics?
We want a nice solid basic LX - as you know even I did a lot of thinking before settling happily for the LX - wish it had 4WD - I would plonked an extra lac or so for that had I had the choice.
Also, the choice of colours - whoever dreams these up frankly should be taken out and shot!
Why cant they give us the old 2005 Turf Green colour in Scorpio and Bolero instead of all that disgusting two tone nonsense?
and why cant the rear middle row seat have a split foldable capability?
plus all those other things I ve written in another recent post for example instead of that fat roof, an option with a lower profile roof - like the Maruti van - high top and normal etc. move the mid row seat back just a tad, pull out those foolish jump seats entirely and push the front driver and passenger seats also just a bit back to allow better leg room for tall drivers!
I wish these manufacturing companies would listen more to genuinely interested and knowledgeable consumers rather than some idiots who want to "pose" and "show" and for whom appearances matter more than substance!
Anyway - Happy Season to you both - Behram and me old pal 4x4 Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear 4*4 addict - I totally agree with you. The Scorpio LX is a very sensible VFM proposition and it must have a 4 wheel drive option to choose from. I drive a black Scorpio LX model. If I had the 4 wheel drive option open to me, I would have taken it. Alas! Que Sera Sera!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st December 2009, 10:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Hi 4X4 ,

1. Demand you want a 8 seater ... don't worry , they will give, don't give up , ask and ask again !!

2. Extended Warranty -- i got it , ask the m & m manager who is in charge of the showroom which you are talking to .. he will give, tell them SS-Traveller, I also have got it , then why can't they !!
vraghuz,

I agree about the point 2 above but regarding point 1 above, can you please confirm if you 8 seater is something that dealer provided (swap seven seater side facing model to 8 seater version) or something that came directly from the factory. What does your RC book say ? Please let me know. I have booked my 4wd and I have been told that it does not come in 8 seater version from factory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks