Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio 4WD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio 4WD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/60601-mahindra-scorpio-4wd.html)

Hello Folks:

I have been touch with some senior Mahindra Officials regarding the Scorpio 4WD version with M-Hawk. I contacted them in early April shortly after the revised Scorpio was released and was told that it is about two/three months away. I contacted this this week and was told that it is still many months away and they suggested that if I want a vehicle soon, the only option is to take the 2.6 CRDe engine. For the life of me, I cannot understand this about Mahindra since Tata did not take the 4WD option away when the lauched the 2.2 engine. Anyway I don't want this to become a Tata vs Mahindra thread (which it probably will become as soon as the first fanatic from either side jumps on the ship :)).

So here is the scoop straight from the horses mouth (mind you not from some sales rep at the dealer who has no clue).

1. Mahindra Scorpio is available only with the 2.6 CRDe engine in the earstwhile SLX trim, which was the highest level trim before the VLX/S was launched. The options are comprable to the current SLE trim.

2. ABS is not offered in the 4WD version. This is really dissappointing and most likely a deal breaker for me. :Frustrati

3. Outside of the Engine and lack of ABS, everything else is from the revised Scorpio including the revised interiors, revised exteriors and the Walrus tooth front grill. Isn't it great that you can have the Walrus Tooth but not the ABS !!.

4. Scorpio SLX 4WD is avaialble in Diamond White, Fiery Black, Rocky Beige, Mist Silver. The Diamond White is a full white body, the Fiery Black body comes with a Mist Silver cladding, Rocky Beige comes with Soft Gold cladding, Mist Silver is full silver body.

I have attached the 2.6 CRDe Specifications and the older SLX brochure:

This information is essentially from Mahindra so if you hear something different from a Dealer it is most likely not true so don't put a deposit on a 4WD Scorpio and expect an Mhawk.

For me the reall issue is the lack of ABS. I would have liked the mhawk engine but since the 2.6 CRDe is a proven engine with almost the same power as the mhawk, I don't mind the 2.6 CRDe.

I find this thread honestly totally pointless. Its pretty much the same info except for the walrus tooth.

All you had to do was post in the older thread saying "Walrus tooth now available on Scorpio 4WD :p".

How many mahindra engineers does it take to change 2.6 to 2.2? :D

So, in essence, you are getting the new 'muscular' Scorpio in 4x4, but without the MHawk engine and ABS? Sounds like a slight improvement, since MM was only offering the old model with 4x4 a few weeks back. But wierd that they are having so much difficulty supplying 4x4 with the MHawk engine. Any reason why this should be so (other than, of course, they do'nt give a damn about 4x4 customers)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1354603)
3. Outside of the Engine and lack of ABS, everything else is from the revised Scorpio including the revised interiors, revised exteriors and the Walrus tooth front grill. Isn't it great that you can have the Walrus Tooth but not the ABS !!.

The Walrus front teeth also have been found to attract polar bears, although none have been sighted in India since the British shrugged their shoulders and went home.

A few years ago professional drivers with non-ABS vehicles were tested against average drivers with the same vehicles using stock ABS. Surprisingly, the Professional drivers won easily. The test was a series of panic straight line stops. I have driven many vehicles with ABS and its okay but I can live without it. The 2.6L also has a Pete's box available.

Question: Is there any way to get LSD or a locker into the rear differential? That's the show stopper for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD
Question: Is there any way to get LSD or a locker into the rear differential? That's the show stopper for me.

Should be possible once you know the differential specs.
But you'll have to get the 'auburn' from your homeland, DD. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1356097)
Should be possible once you know the differential specs.
But you'll have to get the 'auburn' from your homeland, DD. :)

Since you do not know the specs how do you know it will take an Auburn?:)

DD. I think Mahindra deploys Danas in all their vehicles including the Scorpio so I am guessing that you can fit LSD/Lockers on a Scorpio as well.

Regarding the ABS, you are right. I used vehicles without ABS for many years, drove really fast and am still alive to make this post :-). However, the wife has lighed my wallet a couple of times during sudden braking.

They way I look at it, ABS allows you to eat donuts, drink coffee, talk on the cell phone and do a 100 kmph :-). I still haven't ruled out the Scorpio 4WD. Still deciding..

4X4 Addict, your concern about ABS is right & much appreciated. I would not advise you to make a compromise here, safety is of paramount importance & Scorpio specially needs ABS due to the well known shortcomings.

Also, picking it up with the old engine at such price doesn't seem to inspire. Had it been offered in LX trim, I would have seen some sense. Only the absence of real competition makes a case for a buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 1356310)
Only the absence of real competition makes a case for a buy!

This sentence sums it up. Lack of choices in a 4WD SUV under 15 lakhs is why I am considering a Scorpio/Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1354603)
Hello Folks:
I contacted this this week and was told that it is still many months away .

4x4, did he hint what "many" is likely to be < 6 months or more. Looks like my wait is turning out to be fruitless and will have to decide on something quickly.

Just a few clarifications - when you say that apart from Engine and ABS, everything is like refreshed scorp - does it mean that the ride quality will be same/similar to mhawk refreshed scorp - not the boaty ride you got on middle seats on older scorps?

Is this choice that was told to you by MH any different from what Mahindra dealers are offering for 4WD currently?

and how much is this likely to cost? and can it be ordered now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1356559)
This sentence sums it up. Lack of choices in a 4WD SUV under 15 lakhs is why I am considering a Scorpio/Safari.

I guess, if ABS is a deal breaker (as it is for me) and if you dont want safari - may be getting a cheaper trim for a highway/city cruiser (like Innova/scorp non 4wd) AND a Gypsy (recent posts indicate that it is possible) may be a good compromise - "best of breed" approach. It can be contained to sub-15 lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 1356081)
The Walrus front teeth also have been found to attract polar bears, although none have been sighted in India since the British shrugged their shoulders and went home.

A few years ago professional drivers with non-ABS vehicles were tested against average drivers with the same vehicles using stock ABS. Surprisingly, the Professional drivers won easily. The test was a series of panic straight line stops. I have driven many vehicles with ABS and its okay but I can live without it. The 2.6L also has a Pete's box available.

Hi D_D,

Dana 44 30 Spline Semi-Floating

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 1356081)

Pretty pointless exercise, Operating word here being 'average'. They should have had professional drivers pitted against each other in ABS and non-ABS cars.

The price is the Scorpio SLX 4WD is 9.73 Lakhs ex-showroom chennai. Given that the 2WD SLE sells for 8.2 lakhs ex-showroom there is a whopping 1.5 lakh premium over the SLE which comes with the 2.2 Mhawk and ABS. This doesn't make sense. I was expecting about a 1 lakh premium similar to what Tata charges for the 4WD version.

The Tata Safari GX 4WD is 10.7 lakhs with ABS/Partial Leather/2.2 VVTI/Alloys rear parking sensor/ etc so now I am confused. Meanwhile, I keep looking for a second hand 4x4 Ford Endy or Pajero.

This is the same reason that kept me away from 4x4 Scorpio, diff. between the prices of 4x4 & 4x2 are huge, ~1L is still palatable.
I guess after reading the numerous horror stories about the Safari 4X4, its better left out.

Between Pajero & Endy, Mitsu. can do better offroading but spares are expensive. Also, Endy looks much better & with decent set of AT tyres, can do some offroading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1358326)
The price is the Scorpio SLX 4WD is 9.73 Lakhs ex-showroom chennai. Given that the 2WD SLE sells for 8.2 lakhs ex-showroom there is a whopping 1.5 lakh premium over the SLE which comes with the 2.2 Mhawk and ABS. This doesn't make sense.....

All i can say is Mahindra has gone mad!:Frustrati They are not serious about their off roading DNA. 1.5 lakhs difference is too expensive with decidedly less features on old scorpio slx.

Safari 4wd suddenly makes so much sence. for one lakh extra you get LSD too!! plus you have more modern diesel engine.

So what will be new 2.2 mhawk 4wd priced? 2 lakhs more than 2wd sle? They are killing 4wd market by overpricing and blame it on poor demand instead:deadhorse

P.S- Tini you have MM540 for offroading. Go in for new safari 4wd ex. It will not disappoint you, atleast on pricing front.