Team-BHP - A Newbie seeks info on Gypsy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   A Newbie seeks info on Gypsy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/60946-newbie-seeks-info-gypsy-3.html)

Hi Gurus,

I have zeroed in on a 2003 Gypsy King MPFI ST

Price quoted is 275000.

Checked the papers, they seem clean. Insurance also is done.

Vehicle is a company owned.

Got some pictures of the Gypsy. Can any of you gurus please help me.

One AC Grill is missing, AC has been retrofitted and a box has been made below the backseat.

Drove the Gypsy, Engine seems to be good but slightly sluggish (maybe because i drive a light weight wagonR)

Your urgent assistance required gurus, please help.please:

I dont want to miss this as it is very difficult to get an MPFI in Mumbai.

The dealer said that the vehicle was also rented out recently for elections and film shoots. Should that be any reason for me to watchout for?

Many Many Thanks...Did not want to start a fresh thread hence posting here.

Regards,
Raj...

Go for it. Here is what I would suggest:

Take the gypsy to a MASS you know, get them do a checkup (will cost you some 200-300 bucks) and then seal the deal.

The vehicle looks good to me from pictures. Clean & free from rust.

Don't worry too much about the box etc..

All the best

I dont agree with the dates posted above

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonguy (Post 1363909)
Hi! Friends

1) In which year did Maruti discontinue production of MG410W?
2) In which year was wide-track Gypsy introduced?
3) Was the wide-track introduced with MG410W or with MG413W?
4) In which year was MG413W carb introduced?
5) In which year was MG413W MPFI introduced?

Thanks!

It was in production till 2000
Wide Thread (not wide track) was introduced in aug 1993
All gypsies produced since aug 1993 are Wide thread
It was 1996
It was introduced in April 2001

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1618675)

It was in production till 2000
All gypsies produced since aug 1993 are Wide thread
It was 1996
It was introduced in April 2001

Tharakan it seems that you have done an extensive researches on gypsys, and it is always helpfull for people like us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1618675)

@tharakan9

What exactly does wide thread mean or stand for?
Thanks
Nigel

The width of the wide thread is 4 inches more than that of the normal thread gypsies. There is another difference, the leaf spring mounts on the wide thread is projected out a little. This will help in handling of the vehicle and makes it more stable than the narrow thread (less body roll)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anil Vincent (Post 1618772)
Tharakan it seems that you have done an extensive researches on gypsys, and it is always helpfull for people like us.

Its my job to know about cars. I am an automobile designer. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1619260)
The width of the wide thread is 4 inches more than that of the normal thread gypsies. There is another difference, the leaf spring mounts on the wide thread is projected out a little. This will help in handling of the vehicle and makes it more stable than the normal thread (less body roll)

And the correct term would be Track instead of thread,isnt it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1619265)
And the correct term would be Track instead of thread,isnt it?

Actually it is thread and not track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1619268)
Actually it is thread and not track.

My bad then,I had always come across terms

Narrow Track and Wide Track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1619260)
The width of the wide thread is 4 inches more than that of the normal thread gypsies. There is another difference, the leaf spring mounts on the wide thread is projected out a little. This will help in handling of the vehicle and makes it more stable than the narrow thread (less body roll)

tharakan9, Thanks this is good to know. I believe I have noticed this projected leaf spring mounts.
Do you have any info to share on central diffrential? Which indian 4wd has this? Also is it incorporated in the transfer case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar (Post 1619384)
tharakan9, Thanks this is good to know. I believe I have noticed this projected leaf spring mounts.
Do you have any info to share on central diffrential? Which indian 4wd has this? Also is it incorporated in the transfer case?

You have raised a very important question. I need to draw the pictures to make you understand this. I am travelling right now and in no position to draw the picture now (I must confess that i am not good in drawing using the computer):D.

But inorder to understand a central differntial. One must know the differance between 4x4, 4WD and AWD.

4x4 - This stands for part time four wheel drive(The vehicle should have only 4 wheels and all the 4 wheels will be powered). This kind of arrangement is seen in gypsies and M&M (and there are a lot of others too). These vehicles are not build to use four wheel drive on hard surfaces like paved roads. I will explain the reasons with the pictures in a few days.

4WD - In this case, the number of wheels on the vehicle can be more than four, say 6 (in the case of multi-axle trucks). Here the rear 2 sets of wheels are powered by the engine but the front wheels are not. All the wheels will not be powered at the same time

AWD- All wheel drive or all-time four wheel drive. In this case the vehicle is always in four wheel drive mode. These vehicles are able to be driven on paved road in four wheel drive mode. This is made possible because of central differential.

The central differential is a differantial gear provided between the front wheel drive shaft and the rear wheel drive shaft. This can be further be explained only with the help of diagrams. I will explain it with diagrams as soon as possible.

I am not sure but i belive the montero and the new GV has this arrangement. GV and montero owners can help us on this.

There is one more point to be noted. The installation is the central differential is a costly process and most of the vehicles dont have the full working of the central differential (eg. while braking).

I am sure that citoren BX 4x4 had this entire arrangement.

@tharakan9
Thats great info buddy! Eagerly awaiting for the pics.

Tharakan, Tell us about +and - of the design aspect of Gypsy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharakan9 (Post 1621406)
(I must confess that i am not good in drawing using the computer).

Hi Abraham,
Many thanks for the info. If you can draw well on paper then maybe you coudl photograph it and upload.
Regards
Nigel