Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 01:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Couple of GPW!!

This is restored by MSK (Kahai in tbhp), a friend who i met online. All I can say is that he as an avid Vintage collector and Restorer rolled into one.

Thanks MSK for granting me the permission to post the images.

Enjoy people!

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw1.jpg

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw2.jpg

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw3.jpg

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw4.jpg

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw5.jpg

Couple of GPW!!-ford-gpw6.jpg
Old 30th June 2009, 09:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

SirAlec,

Very cute jeeps indeed. Must appreciate your friend's taste.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:44   #3
BHPian

Awesome !!
Dwarak sir - In addition to appreciating his friends taste, we must also appreciate his patience and persistence in restoring the vehicles

Cheers
GB
Old 30th June 2009, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good looking classics indeed. However, the low-profile wider tyre on the 2nd jeep gives it a 'dabwali' kind of look. It will look better with the original type of tyres of GPW as in the other jeep.
-regards,
Old 30th June 2009, 21:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Good looking classics indeed. However, the low-profile wider tyre on the 2nd jeep gives it a 'dabwali' kind of look. It will look better with the original type of tyres of GPW as in the other jeep.
-regards,
Totaly agree with you, as a matter of fact this jeep was modified in Dabwali, it does not belong to me, i would rather commit harakiri than ruin a perfectly beautiful jeep.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the first one. Why does it say 'Caution Right Hand Drive' at the rear though?
Old 8th July 2009, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

they look more like dabwali clones to me!!
Old 8th July 2009, 01:22   #8
BHPian

With due respect to everyone "Why does eveyone talk with such a derogatory tone about the Dabwali jeeps?"

I agree that they dont have much use and purpose but one should respect the other persons choice and selection.

If some one is not into offroading and wants a bling jeep to go around girls college in the afternoon for tashan value I think the Dabwali jeeps are the best for that.

Also one should not undermine the fact that Dabwali and around areas being located in a area of majorly unproductive soil the jeep market it is a huge EMPLOYMENT source for the people of the area.

As far as the market for them is concerned atleast in Punjab you will find more "BLING" jeep seekers than a capable off road seekers.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post

If some one is not into offroading and wants a bling jeep to go around girls college in the afternoon for tashan value I think the Dabwali jeeps are the best for that.

When i used to study in ludhiana, even in our college the was absolutely no jeep meant for offroading. Mostly jeeps were with 295 tyres and having ford GPW chassis, and the looked cool especially when weather was nice.

I agree, that they are meant for different audience and the way they are used in punjab is like

Quote:
Also one should not undermine the fact that Dabwali and around areas being located in a area of majorly unproductive soil the jeep market it is a huge EMPLOYMENT source for the people of the area.
Well said Gurpreet, because of saim (underground water renders soil unproductive) this is the alternate source of money and provides a lot of employment and most of the customers of these bling jeeps are either college going boys or NRI's, not hardcore offroader's.

Last edited by Amar82 : 8th July 2009 at 02:05.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:55   #10
BHPian

Hi SirAlec,

The Jeep with NDMS still looks original but the one with wide tyres is totally a dabwali jeep. The one with the NDMS is also not an original ford as it claims to be.

Anyways thanks for the pics. How's your LR doing?

Cheers !!!!
Old 8th July 2009, 11:19   #11
BANNED

The jeeps are as confused as i am. Good restore though.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

A right hand drive Ford GPW ? Thats something unique.
Old 8th July 2009, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post

I agree, that they are meant for different audience and the way they are used in punjab is like
YouTube - punjabi jeep willys jatt di PBF 6939
i thought time changes and people change too, but still its the same thing with boys and jeeps, in punjab!
Old 8th July 2009, 19:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
With due respect to everyone "Why does eveyone talk with such a derogatory tone about the Dabwali jeeps?"

I agree that they dont have much use and purpose but one should respect the other persons choice and selection.

As far as the market for them is concerned atleast in Punjab you will find more "BLING" jeep seekers than a capable off road seekers.
In your own words "one should respect the other persons choice and selection", it is one's choice what kind of vehicle they drive same way it is one's choice what they decide to say about their or another's vehicle. There are a lot of people out there who think jeeps look ugly. Let people have their impressions and their say.

Secondly there are a lot of industries that provide employment to a lot of people like tobacco, alcohol, drugs,prostitution etc so that does not make them right. Again everyone has a right to choose what they want to do.

Third, most people in this community(me included) feel that the "D" jeeps leave a lot to be desired in the aesthetics department.

Also there are a lot of people given the chance would restore the vehicles lovingly and care for them as children. Seeing them with copy paste work does anger them because jeeps are a limited resource.

As it is a GENERAL PURPOSE vehicle the can be used for anything especially to pick up chicks.

What I'm trying to say is that you can have a D jeep or a restored classic and if you're not lucky to own one you're free to have any opinion.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:35   #15
BHPian

@Bazius - I dont want to start a war here between D or non D jeeps

but here are my 10 cents on it

1) "tobacco, alcohol, drugs,prostitution etc " and jeep building very different arenas. It is like you are saying that there is no difference between a professional cook and a mechanic.

2) I dont think Prostitution is an industry unless you live in Amsterdam.

3) LAST but NOT the least. Most of the Dabwali jeeps are clones they are NOT RESTORED but assembled. Most of the parts used in them are manufactured to be look alikes and then put together to look like the classics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks