Team-BHP - "MM JEEP" is haunting me...even in UAE!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   "MM JEEP" is haunting me...even in UAE! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/61328-mm-jeep-haunting-me-even-uae.html)

Ever since i have zeroed in on Gypsy by listening to my mind and overulling my heart which always beat for MM Jeep, i keep bumping into MM Jeeps even in UAE!!! yes it looks like these jeeps keep haunting me....

the other day i was travelling from Dubai to Fujairah and i saw an old limping red colour MM Jeep somewhere between the two cities! i couldnt take photos as i was travelling opposite to the jeep!

Today i was in Abu Dhabi (Mussafah) and guess what i saw??

Gentlemen let me present a LHD MM Classic and this time i took plenty of photos!

just one question i want an answer to...CAN I IMPORT A LHD INDIAN MADE VEHICLE TO INDIA?please:

Nice find!! seemms to be abandoned though! wonder who would drive around a mahindra in Dubai?? Also this looks like CL 340 more than a Classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 1374843)
Ever since i have zeroed in on Gypsy by listening to my mind and overulling my heart which always beat for MM Jeep, i keep bumping into MM Jeeps even in UAE!!! yes it looks like these jeeps keep haunting me....

agree: this is what happens when you go for wrong M.
& why are you typing like this ....:uncontrol.

ok all kidding aside,
a very nice find indeed.

Param was it up for sale??? or you just clicked it on the way. It just need some detailing but other then that, one of the neat mahindra's i have seen till date,

just a curious question ..what was the odometer reading?

The jeep was not for sale and it was lunch time when i saw the jeep and went clicking photos, so i couldnt talk to anyone out there.

i have a weekly trip to AD and will go again to find the owner, but the sad part is that i found out i cant import any LHD vehicle into india!:Frustrati

i had thought of buying it and then shipping it back to india, but cant do it anymore! since its an export vehicle, im sure it will have extra equipment and hardware compared to the same vehicle offered in india!

check out the engine and the front and rear diff and suspension, and i would expect comments from the experts

here are more photos

Only one solution to get rid of the bhoot, you have to buy a MM Jeep. :)

We get a lot of these SWB Mahindras for sale on ebay in the UK and the prices are a lot lower than what people charge in India. Just a shame that after shipping, duty etc it it pointless shipping them to India.

Its a petrol Classic!
What engine would this be? The Jurassic 2.2 pushrod?

It is a CL-340PE with probably the same engine as the CL-540PE. It is an SI conversion of the 2.1 XDP 4.90.

i dont see a point to that Parm, why do you want to buy a LHD and bring to india and then face problems driving around here(Though i understand its just a matter of getting used to it) and i am sure that it is not going to be a cheap afair to bring it down even if it would be permitted.

suggestion is that you just get yourself down to india and then buy what you want to here it self. there are ample jeeps and gypsys here in india and you can pick one for your self.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 1375027)
It is a CL-340PE with probably the same engine as the CL-540PE. It is an SI conversion of the 2.1 XDP 4.90.

are you saying that xdp 4.90 is converted to petrol?
please more information in the subject.
:)

Galaddhari Auto, agents for Mahindra in UAE, do sell Petrol Engine powered 4x4 Scorpios in Dubai for around Dhs. 65,000. People do buy it there are about 50 scorpios sold in UAE, but in the Circa of this price various cheap SUVs from Hyundai, Kia and China are better alternatives.

Galadhari Auto wanted me to take one of these vehicles to the desert and do a test drive report article. They are a sister company for Khaleej Times who were my media sponsors for Great Escape Desert Adventure. I kept postponing this issue as I had better cars to drive and write about, The FJ Cruiser, new Nissan Patrol, X Tral, X Terrain, new Pathfinder, new Pajero, New Prado NG120, Ford Escape, the Huge Ford Excursion, Mercury Forrester, some Hyundais a nd Kias, the new Landcruiser 200, Jeep Wrangler JK and Unlimited, the new Grand Cherookee, so we never got to the Scorpio.

In 2003 a few Mahindra Classics with Petrol Engine, what was the Mahindra Hunter earlier were imported. About 12 I guess.

One of my Marshals during the Gulf News Fun Drive, PA Abdullah brought it during a Marshal run. I drove that vehicle for a bathroom break as I was logging the route on my trip odometer and GPS, I found it to be extremely crude and underpowered in the Desert.

Eventually it was stopped. The vehicle you saw is perhaps from that lot.

Stay clear of the car dealers in Mussafah. These people are sweet talkers who lure you and then cut your pockets deep.

As for importing this LHD vehicle to India, if you give up your job, get your visa cancelled and take a TR to India, you can import this Indian made LHD or RHD vehicle duty free, provided it is registered in your name for at least 12 months. No worries on that, our fly by night operators in Al Aweer RHD car market arrange for one year old registration for returning Indians.

The Vehicle you spotted perhaps is the same one that Khalid Abdullah Al Tamimi had bought to tow his 20'long Gulf Craft boat. It does have a ball hitch hook in the back. He must have sold it off for Dhs. 5 K to 8 K after a few years of use to some 2nd had car dealer, thats how its landed up in Mussafah.

The Steering wheel is from a Chrysler Neon ?

Looks like it has the steering borrowed from the Chrysler Neon, which explains the provision for airbags.

This jeep surely is interesting!! Perhaps behram sir can throw some light on it. Also interesting to see is the coil over shocks on front suspension along with leaf suspension. The engine surely is a petrol one.

@desert fox- Was the engine so crude and under powered? Must have been much better than our home grown classic right?

P.S- I dont know why Mahindra is ready to spend so much just for customisation and sell few hundred vehicles abroad while we in india are starved for such models which have better acceptability here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1375284)
Looks like it has the steering borrowed from the Chrysler Neon, which explains the provision for airbags.

Must be an aftermarket kit.
There's no way Mahindra is gonna fit a steering wheel that reads 'Neon'!lol:

Engine was underpowered because it was an old Mahindra Diesel Engine, or perhaps even if it was XDP3U or DI the power was not enough for the Desert terrain. Jeep Wranglers from the USA with their 2.7 litre 4 cyl engines also suffer a similar fate.

My Cj3B with its Hurricane engine is in India, not UAE Desert, its a totally different perspective to offroading terrain here. And for the record the steering and controls of my Jeep today are better than this Mahindra imported into the UAE.