Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 10:06   #1

Ford Endeavour/Hurricane

Hi Guys,
My Hyundai Terracan is getting a little long in the tooth and Im thinking of replacing it with the new Ford Endeavour 4 x 4 with the new 3L engine.
Does anybody know how good or bad this car is in terms of its offroad capability?
Xantos
Old 8th July 2009, 10:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Xantos, I have seen one in action, and its pretty capable except for the fact that its a tad too long. So there is tendency to see saw, and the front and rear overhangs can get caught.
Otherwise its got enough grunt for "soft roader" off road driving.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it would be too impressive. Its just too darn bulky. I'm talking with experience from a 2.5L endy. Dunno how good the 3L version is. But its not too comfy inside either. why not look at the pajero, if mud plugging is more important?
Old 8th July 2009, 10:30   #4
BHPian

If you are looking for 4X4 abilities + luxury. I would pick Pajero. But if you want looks, road presence and driving pleasure on highways Endeavour is better VFM.

Amar
Old 8th July 2009, 12:27   #5

Ive actually shortlisted the Endeavour because the size is just right for my weekly windsurfing trips to the lake
The approach road to the lake is like soft clay in parts so 4 x 4 capability is a must
Also need to tow a 350lb Jetski or a small sailboat
Old 8th July 2009, 12:34   #6

The Pajero is very capable offroad but when compared to the Terracan I drive now the Pagero is much smaller and therefore utility wise not as good as the Endeavour.
How good or bad is the 4x4 transfercase on the Endeavour , does it shift on the fly to the low ratios , any problems with the gearbox etc ?
Can I hear from guys who have been regularly been offroading with the Endeavour - well not hardcore offroading but the more than average weekend kind of stuff.
Xantos
Old 8th July 2009, 13:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

From what I saw, on soft tracks etc., its okay. Overhangs and long wheelbase will not be a problem, but beware, its heavy, so there is chance of sinking in.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Xantos:

The Ford Endeavour Powertrain is fairly robust. The Endy is a product jointly developed by Ford/Mazda. I am looking for a used 4x4 Ford Endy and have been researching it and talking to a couple of owners including a person who is known to me. He has been using his 4x4 Endy on the farm and he has had no issues with it for about 100K kms. The 4WD system is fairly robust.

The only two complaints I have against it is that the seat height is too low on all seats so in the front seats you sit like in a car with your legs stretched forward as opposed to like in a chair. The rear seats are bumpy as well due to the leaf sprung rear suspension. However the endy makes up for it with a kick *** power train so if you like to put pedal to metal this is your car. Pajero is roughly the same size but the biggest drawback is the underpowered engine. If you don't mind the way the seats are set up, I'd say go for it.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 8th July 2009 at 14:19.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Endeavour 3L aka hurricane is an absolute scorcher and has superb performance.

And is way better than outdated and under powered Pajero of course the Length part is OK.

But i havnt seen anyone using Endeavour for extreme offroading in india.

For most of stuff it is much better and if you still have doubt then go take a TD of Endeavour and Pajero.

cheers
Old 8th July 2009, 20:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Xantos,

Try Hyundai Tucsan. It is the best in its class. Off road performance is remarkable. Pajero is little heavy for some of the trails such as slush, sand.

Endeavour is definitely good in power front, but slags on off roading.

Dwarak
Old 8th July 2009, 21:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantos View Post
... does it shift on the fly to the low ratios , any problems with the gearbox etc ?...
I don't think any 4X4 would allow SOTF to the low ratios ( 4L) : the Endy definitely allows shifting-on-the-fly from 2H to 4H.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:06   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Endeavour has acceptable offroading capability, by SUV standards, but nowhere close to say, the new gen Pajero (Montero). Soft to medium level difficulty patches (including the soft clay patch) shouldn't be a problem. However, the length and massive weight can be limitations over tougher terrain.

In addition to:

Quote:
Also need to tow a 350lb Jetski or a small sailboat
IIRC, the Endeavour does not come equipped with a rear tow hook. You'd do well in checking out the Pajero too (far more competent off the road).
Old 14th July 2009, 19:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Endeavour 3L aka hurricane is an absolute scorcher and has superb performance.

Hurricane is limited edition 2.5L, 3.0L 4x4 version is called Thunder+.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Xantos,

Try Hyundai Tucsan. It is the best in its class. Off road performance is remarkable. Pajero is little heavy for some of the trails such as slush, sand.

Endeavour is definitely good in power front, but slags on off roading.

Dwarak
Tucson is a softroader,its not as much suitable to offroading as it has monocoque chasis,low GC, and does not have a locking center differential,it does not even have a 4L option.
Old 14th July 2009, 20:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

To my mind the Paj has just two downers. The inability to cruise comfortably in the 125 plus speed ranges. And the fact that it can really take just 4 adults in comfort - but I suspect they would be more comfortable than 4 in an Endeavour. If you can live with those, I think the Pajero is still the one to go for. As someone suggested, test drive both, you will be surprised to see how well engineered the Pajero still feels for its price segment.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th July 2009 at 20:18. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks