Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 09:48   #136
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Any idea about the ideal tappet clearance?
The recommended clearance is .018" inlet and .016" exhaust (CJ3B page specs). On my engine though the tappets make a racket at this setting. UBS attributes it to rocker noise. So before you set your tappets make sure the rocker arm bushing are fine and then set it to this

Quote:
But are the quirks mentioned about the NDMS so much true. I ask as you have extensively done both tracks, off road and highway running on your NDMS. What are the disadvantages?
None that I can think of !! I have had no problems with these tyres so far. They work fine offroad and onroad just fine. I will however add that during monsoon it will be dangerous to drive at speeds on tarmac ( will need to be extra careful on turns) as the contact patch has no grooves to evacuate water. Otherwise its a great tyre Gogi. Its relatively quiet on tarmac too.

On wet roads you have to be really careful while braking, I once almost slammed into a mini truck which suddenly braked in front for a speed breaker and while I reacted in time and applied brakes the car simply skid as if there were no brakes working. That day I got caught in a sudden downpour with the top down and for the fun of it I kept driving in rain . To my luck I stopped a few inches before the truck. So wet weather you have to be careful with these tyres on tarmac.

Quote:
Great looking guys. I have three too, a Boxer (Tyson), a GSD (Max) and a Great Dane (Zwez)
Wow...maybe we should have a pet thread too, unless one exists already

Last edited by DKG : 11th March 2010 at 10:01.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:20   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
DKG,

I just chanced up on the photos of your cj3. Fantastic! A beautifully executed restoration.

One question - In the last but one photo (rear of the jeep) you have put an additional cross plate with the 2 round hook eyelets.

Normally these two eyelets should be the two lower holding bolts of the towing hook, isn't it?

the GD looks good in the pics. Who is the one tied up in front of APX 110 - Doberman? (apart from cars and bikes my other hobby is dogs and dog training). Currently negotiating for a Bonneville 2009 here.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 11th March 2010, 10:27   #138
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Fantastic! A beautifully executed restoration.
The real credit should go to a guy called Nasir who meticulously restored it. He is a body worker. I have only refined the mechanicals to a level where it can go anywhere anytime.

Quote:
One question - In the last but one photo (rear of the jeep) you have put an additional cross plate with the 2 round hook eyelets. Normally these two eyelets should be the two lower holding bolts of the towing hook, isn't it?
I actually have no knowledge of what's original on a Jeep. I understand that cross plate is called a draw bar and facilitates agricultural implements to be attached to the Jeep for farm applications. The tow hook is attached to the chassis via four bolts. I think those two eyelet hooks are meant to hold additioanl chains via hooks from a trailer for safety. But to be honest I don't know much about what's original. UBS is the right man to ask.

Quote:
Who is the one tied up in front of APX 110 - Doberman?
Yes a Doberman, Mr Babban
Old 11th March 2010, 12:44   #139
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's the picture that inspired me. I figured if its good enough for her then it must be awesome for me

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-tractor-tyres.jpg
Old 11th March 2010, 15:55   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sir what mileage are you getting with the hurricane engine ?
Old 11th March 2010, 16:50   #141
BHPian

DKG, going by the plus points of the NDMS tread and its drawbacks (the wet-weather near-mishap), wouldn't the tread pattern of the MRF Safari (post #131 by V-16) be the ideal match of looks and wet-weather performance for the CJ3B? Would be a good idea if someone could review this tyre on the CJ. Or is there a Tyre Review type thread on this forum???

Cheers
Rahul
Old 11th March 2010, 17:14   #142
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Rahul yes both tyres shown by V16 should be better wet weather tyres technically. Worth a try for sure. Just that the regular NDMS also give the car that classic look

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Sir what mileage are you getting with the hurricane engine ?
Considering I drive the Jeep at its maximum comfortable cruising speed of 80 kmph on highways I get about 7. I am sure if I drive it leisurely at 55 it should go up to 9 or 10

Last edited by DKG : 11th March 2010 at 17:17.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:09   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The recommended clearance is .018" inlet and .016" exhaust (CJ3B page specs). On my engine though the tappets make a racket at this setting. UBS attributes it to rocker noise. So before you set your tappets make sure the rocker arm bushing are fine and then set it to this
Thanks Deepak. My mechanic has set it to quiet mode but ill still sound him out for the recommended clearance. While hes at it, he can also check the rocker arm bushes (gosh every day is a learning lesson...wow!!)

Quote:
None that I can think of !! I have had no problems with these tyres so far. They work fine offroad and onroad just fine. I will however add that during monsoon it will be dangerous to drive at speeds on tarmac ( will need to be extra careful on turns) as the contact patch has no grooves to evacuate water. Otherwise its a great tyre Gogi. Its relatively quiet on tarmac too.

On wet roads you have to be really careful while braking.
Ok then it is NDMS for me. Ill still try to take a look at the Safari and if it looks the part, will go in for that. It should have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Wow...maybe we should have a pet thread too, unless one exists already
Yes there is a pet thread Deepak;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...=team+bhp+pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
is there a Tyre Review type thread on this forum???
Yes there is, just cant find it though.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:52   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering I drive the Jeep at its maximum comfortable cruising speed of 80 kmph on highways I get about 7. I am sure if I drive it leisurely at 55 it should go up to 9 or 10
DKG,

The 7 seems to be the optimum for Hurricane Engines.

I have heard/experienced milage of 4 MPL in City and abour 6 MPL in long runs - with Brand new CJ3s Both Willis and the Jeep brands with Hurrican Engines.

When I was growing up we always had jeeps around. Dad was a Govt Servant (Soil Conservation DepT) and he always had jeeps as his official vehicles. First I remember was a 1959 Willis CJ3. Don't recall if it was a a or b model. Next was a 1968 Jeep. I still remember the new smell of it with the new canvas top (My dad "misused" the jeep to drop me to school in the morning at 9.00 am every day - he will reach office at 09.10 hrs too, which was bad for the other "Govermnent Servants" there. Next was a 1970 Jeep again.

Then actually he was given a Willis Staion Wagons. It came under some what was then known as the "Marshal" plan - US AID actually. It was really nice one. 1970 modeel with It was really nice and could seat 7 people comfortaby.

His work used to carry him to a lot of off road territory basically for the Soil Conservation works going on in the catchment areas of the dams being built at that time in Kerala. So I have really experienced the thrills of off Road driving during summer hols when he use to take me and my cousins to the field trips.

Your jeep brought back a lot of memmories. Those days photography was not my dads forte and alas there are no visual memmories left.

Best Regards & Drive Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 11th March 2010 at 21:53.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:05   #145
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ram I can quite relate to your sentiments. I grew up with the ivory Packard we have (shown in my BHP garage) and that car has become almost a family member !!

A Hurricane engined Jeep with top down is one of the most enjoyable rides one can have here in India. You just connect with so much more as you drive.

Am loving it !!
Old 19th April 2010, 23:53   #146

Hi all,

Apologies for the late reply. Have been extremely caught up with work. And the summer heat is not helping a bit.

Status of Jeep so far...

1. Opened the Gearbox to change Clutch & Pressure Plate; Surprise!!! They were brand new. Same goes for the Brakes. So new that even the release agent generally applied on them was intact.

So we figured out that the CJ was overhauled completely before being sold as surplus!!!

2. The Chassis, Body, Engine & Transmission have been assembled. Radiator has been flushed. Fuel tank is not as bad as I had assumed it to be. Shall continue using the same. The body has been painted from the inside and has been primed externally. By the way, the CJ is going green.

3. Have bought Birla 6.00x16. Set of 4 cost me about 14k. Was contemplating Yokohamas. Decided against it as a) WAY TOO EXPENSIVE & b) Increase in rolling resistance & steering effort.

4. I will try the KAPPCO carb to begin with. Gogi, expect my call soon incase I need to go back to Solex.

5. I am hunting for a good alternator. My CJ was delivered sans a Dynamo; win some loose some... I shall be installing Fog Lamps; so looking for an Alternator with output of atleast 60 amps. Any suggestions.

The second Jeep is still lying as is where is. Her engine is in a ghastly state as compared to No. 1. (Win some; loose more) I was thinking of maybe an engine transplant. Any suggestion for a good engine. Prefer Carburated to FI in the jeep as keeping the ECU in an open jeep would be nightmarish... More suggestions please.

I shall put the picture in a day or two.

Ciao...
Old 20th April 2010, 15:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bunty, where is your thread, i think you posted here by mistake. Please make a similar post on your thread. Birla tyres? i was told they had stopped making those maybe i got the wrong info.

Re the carb, anytime, ill check if the guy has another one in stock. Hopefully he should.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:59   #148
BHPian

Its Deepak isnt it,

You are the one who gave us "non-drinking" company by the bonfire during the Bangalore Annual OTR.

Since your Jeep has been modified (meaning doesnt belong to the original restoration class) then do I suggest you also do the following mods. You will be very happy. These are the mods I have done on my Hurricane. These are for living with day-to-day practical needs

1) MM540 Drums - Bigger & Better - Good braking
2) Dual Reservoir Master Cylinder -

The above 2 will give you awesome braking power.
3) Full Floating Rear (MM430 Axles)
4) Electronic Ignition (Contessa - a bit of work required here)
5) Electric Fuel Pump.

And please buy a PLASTIC CAN FOR PETROL. While the Jerrycans look cool, they are not functional. The rust / corrsion in them can mess up the fuel thus choking the carb etc.

Quote:

On wet roads you have to be really careful while braking, I once almost slammed into a mini truck which suddenly braked in front for a speed breaker and while I reacted in time and applied brakes the car simply skid as if there were no brakes working. That day I got caught in a sudden downpour with the top down and for the fun of it I kept driving in rain . To my luck I stopped a few inches before the truck. So wet weather you have to be careful with these tyres on tarmac.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:34   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
4) Electronic Ignition (Contessa - a bit of work required here)
Vivek, could you share some more details of this?
Old 20th April 2010, 22:43   #150
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Its Deepak isnt it,

You are the one who gave us "non-drinking" company by the bonfire during the Bangalore Annual OTR.

Since your Jeep has been modified (meaning doesnt belong to the original restoration class) then do I suggest you also do the following mods.
Vivek I feel the CJ3B is just fine being stock. I have no intentions of modding it. I have zero issues with starting or stopping, considering I've overhauled/installed new parts throughout the car. On all my trips I carry petrol in a plastic jerry can and I've done about 6000 kms of long distance driving in the Jeep since it got its hurricane engine, the last one being 300 kms in summer heat. I have added the electric fuel pump which I understand is unavoidable during the summer months.

Hope you are well. We should all meet for some monsoon OTR's

Last edited by DKG : 20th April 2010 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks