Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 12:10   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
That is a very well restored Jeep.
Dear Mr. Dhabhar I am so glad you approve. I was going to write to you for just the details you pointed out. Thanks a ton.

Being an absolute novice when it comes to Jeeps I will need your help and guidance for this car. As I am not very familiar with Jeep jargon I may seek some clarifications too

Quote:
Following things are not original / not fitted in original place. 1 ----- combination switch is added afterwards.
Is this the stalk on the steering column? I am not sure which switch you refer to here

Quote:
2 ----- gear lever knob on the middle lever is the original lever of the 3 speed transmission. Both the transfer case levers have spherical knobs. The knob fitted to the transmission lever is from the 4 speed KMT90 transmission. From the looks of the gear lever, it feels that the transmission may be 4+R. Please clarify if it is 3 speed or 4 speed
This is a 3 speed. Do you feel the main lever is incorrect for a 3 speed?

If I understand you correctly I need to change the knob on the main gear lever? (I thought as much it didn't look original)

Quote:
3 ----- rear foot step is not original. It also reduces departure angle.
Will remove it

Quote:
4 ----- front mud flaps never came on CJ3B
Will remove them

Quote:
5 ----- the fuel line seems to be hanging behind the left foot step
Should it be routed along the chassis?

Quote:
6 ----- there seems to be a soft cover on the steering wheel which is not original.
Perhaps looked deceptive in the pictures. Its the bakelite finished steering wheel.

Quote:
7 ----- many other things like the the front bar etc are not original but everything looks very balanced and nice.
Glad you feel it looks nice, coz I too felt it looked neat and the crowbar will be useful at times. Do you suggest I dispense with the extra hooks up front on the bumper or leave them in case one needs extra hooks?

Quote:
Please post photographs of engine compartment / underfloor
Will do. The guy did a very neat job on the engine bay. But ofcourse you will know issues on originality.

Quote:
. Please remove the horns from behind the grille. They look out of place.
Consider it done Sir. Where were the original horns fit?

Once again thanks for taking time to point out specific details. I really appreciate your guidance and help.

Regards and best wishes

Last edited by DKG : 24th July 2009 at 12:12.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

Thats an excellent piece of machine that you have found. Congratulations!
Old 24th July 2009, 12:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Whats with the Hyderabadi's...!!!

No offence, But MAN..!!! The way they maintain their Jeeps... RIGHT into the so called Indian Automobile Lingo -- 'Parsi' maintained --

Must be the biriyani's and kebab's...!!!

Congrats once again.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DKG, That Jeep looks amazing, now we will wait for some off roading pics from you
Old 24th July 2009, 12:26   #35
BHPian

Pristine piece of machinery is all i can say
Old 24th July 2009, 12:34   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow, your Jeep looks pristine! The pictures are outstanding. Congrats DKG, I know you've been sitting on the fence for a long time. This 4x4 makes that wait seem worth it, wot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
soon your Jeep mechanic will be your new best friend.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:35   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, sanjayatarizona and Technocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Whats with the Hyderabadi's...!!!

No offence, But MAN..!!! The way they maintain their Jeeps... RIGHT into the so called Indian Automobile Lingo -- 'Parsi' maintained --

Must be the biriyani's and kebab's...!!!

Congrats once again.
I agree the Jeeps are simply amazing here. Even the bikes.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:38   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This 4x4 makes that wait seem worth it, wot?
Thanks GTO. Now to get to Rajmachi and have a blast with you guys !!!
Old 24th July 2009, 14:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

The F head are available and fairly inexpensive. You are right about the diesel endorsement. The Motor Vehicle Inspector at the main RTA is a huge Jeep aficionado. I am hoping he would help me get it back to petrol endorsement.

On the job Sir. Have lined up two engines which I will fire up on the weekend and then either have them rebuilt and put in or if its in good health will go in direct.
Actually, the law is now against converting or restoring back to petrol power to diesel or vice-versa.

If it is diesel endorsed, leave all your efforts to get a petrol engine, otherwise you will be either running your jeep illegally or standing at a lost, hence lookout for a XD3P diesel engine. More refined and silent compare to the B275.

Quote:
I agree, have never seen one either. One of my old passions was for ham radios. It would be nice to get this working. My friend Shams was saying the antenna is really special, he's not seen many of those either.
I was just reading the exam preparations for hams, good to know about your interest too. Lets see if we can exchange some valuable ideas. I'm looking out for transceiver setup in my Jeep with VHS/UHS & HF (ofcourse love with in modern equipments)

Quote:
BTW this is a Mahindra CJ3B of 1984. Could you please post a picture of what I should be seeking out for seats appropriate to the model and year?
It is the same bench type seats came in MM 540 jeeps. The Bench type seats will have the passenger side seat extended to cover the gab between two seats leaving no room to jump from passenger area to cargo area. (Some of the pictures below are taken from CJ3B page)
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-commanderinterior.jpg
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-chengappafront.jpg
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-mahindrabrochurered.jpg
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-sloveniamahindra.jpg
You will have a storage compartment under the driver's seat, I guess the Hydrabad guys are good at fabricating it. But I would love to keep the jeep with the current one (which is of Willys MB, Ford GPW or Willys CJ2A type)

The military type Mahindra CJ3B jeeps got foldable driver seat, see Arka's jeep picture.
OgAAAM1misbQQ6qkAjCr5MkFcFRt02lRS9SQDSFo0kJuX9i-wtdiDNTpPJLcJ-XUtZ3kTr1MQzxBzD0w97DDqmhZZO0Am1T1UCX6

Only Mahindra Classic came with modern push back seats with headrests on it.

You need to decide if you wanted to restore the jeep to originality or use it with purposeful. The purposeful means that hard offroading, hence whatever you do the offroad trials will make it bad. So keep it cool no need to spend money until it needs attention.

The same will also applied for the front mud flaps, who cares if the original version don't have. As far as the extra fitting protects your vehicle keep them on. DONT REMOVE.

Last edited by trammway : 24th July 2009 at 14:22.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......My sole interest in offroading is to go into forest trails and visit mountains etc to enjoy nature. .....
....But my objective always has been and will remain to EXPLORE.....
....Enjoying nature in an open top Jeep, in as much silence as possible has to be my number one priority when offroad....
....PS: I will never forget that extraordinary moment in Corbett....
Was totally glued to your writing. More so because this was exactly my reason also to go for a jeep. Also there can't be any 2nd opinion, petrol is the answer for your jeep. And since mileage is not at all the issue, it should be the Hurricane all the way. Awesome looking jeep there you have got! The more i read and see about the jeeps in hyderabad, the more i use to admire the place and the jeepers out there. Reminds me of another great looking CJ3b Mr. Fazal posted earlier.
-regards,
Old 24th July 2009, 14:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations DKG!!!! Just a difference of opinion, that International Engine is not that bad. Our own Uday Bhan Singh Has covered India with Same Engine in his GPW (8181). I have done Two Trips of Pune – Satna(MP) – Pune (1350 one side) and few under 1000 Kms with same engine in my Willys. Uday Bhan Singh doesn’t have Heater in his Ford and this Engine starts in one click, I have personally seen this, He went all the way to Himalaya with this Engine and without Heater.
Also when you compare Two engines (Hurricane & International), I have driven my Willys with Hurricane Engine to 2000 Kms Trip(Satna – Bhopal – Indore – Nagpur – Pune – Mumbai – Goa).i am not exaggerating anything, I am talking as per my experience. Following are my observations.
1) Mileage – 6kms in Petrol Vs 10kms in Diesel.
2) Spare Parts Availability.
3) Easy to Repair – this so called Tractor Engine can be repaired by anyone anywhere with cheap spares.
4) Both engine have almost same Top Speed and yes CJ3B chassis can handle this much speed only. Even If you put any Japanese engine also you can’t cruise her to 120-130 confidently.
5) As per you International is Tractor Engine, but the same Tractor engine is doing duty in Mahindra Jeeps till date with small modifications. First with DI in Mahindra Major, Bolero, Invader,Savari, Pickup and with M2DI in Bolero & Scorpio ( I know they have refined it a lot)
6) Torque for Offroading – International with more Torque than Hurricane.
As per me, if you want this Jeep for occasional driving, you can trust this engine.
Hi Shubendra,

You are spot on, on all accounts but the last.
B275 - 12kgm@1350rpm
Hurricane - 12kgm@900rpm and 16kgm@2000rpm

Also the hurricane is 75kgs lighter.

Regards,

Arka
Old 24th July 2009, 14:45   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
You need to decide if you wanted to restore the jeep to originality or use it with purposeful.
Trammway to be honest with you I bought this car with one purpose in mind. Hard core offroading. As we all know there's always the risk of a little dent here and a little scratch there. If not damage there most certainly will be a high degree of wear and tear.

Its just by chance that this specimen has turned out to be a pretty polly. True to the restorer's spirit perhaps some inclination to keep/correct to originality is in order. But certainly not digressing from the original purpose.

I appreciate a fellow Bhpian's instant response to recommend correction to enhance originality. I also subscribe to your view of keeping things purely functional, your point about mud flaps makes sense.

The good things is thanks to the valued inputs by all of you atleast I know now they don't belong on the car but may make sense to leave on.

Same about the seats. The present set allows you to walk up into the front without folding either of the front seats. I think that's useful.

Last edited by DKG : 24th July 2009 at 14:52.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:50   #43
BHPian

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L, is all I can manage to say, as I wait to regain my breath. This jeep surely is a breath taking beauty. Congratulations on the purchase DKG and have fun with it.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:54   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Suren, Kandisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
B275 - 12kgm@1350rpm

Thanks Arka atleast now I don't need to feel compromised on torque with the Hurricane.

Last edited by DKG : 24th July 2009 at 14:56.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

I was just reading the exam preparations for hams, good to know about your interest too. Lets see if we can exchange some valuable ideas. I'm looking out for transceiver setup in my Jeep with VHS/UHS & HF (ofcourse love with in modern equipments)

Hi TramWay,

You can get the Transceiver in Mayapuri @ 1400 RS, it comes with Receiver, Knobs and Flexible Aluminum Antenna (Foldable to avoid any damage). I dont whether it works or not because i did not try to catch Army Signals. But if you want i can source one for you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Shubendra,

You are spot on, on all accounts but the last.
B275 - 12kgm@1350rpm

Regards,

Arka

Hi Arka,
Thanks for correcting me. Actually i do not know too much technical jargons and specifications. but i believe my knowledge is like mechanic who learns over a period of time, but can't explain these things technically.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2009 at 16:00. Reason: back to back posts, use multi quote please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks