Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 15:42   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

More pictures for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy !!

We did close to 250 kms on Sunday and the CJ3B ran beautifully. If it weren't for the crappy diesel in it making that absurd racket (106 decibels ) the Jeep was pure pleasure all the way. I did about 70 kmph on the highways and as the pictures will reveal all the offroading your heart could desire. She handled it all with ease.

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0543.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0563.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0564.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0556.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0601.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0604.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0605.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0607.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0608.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0609.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0126.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0128.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0129.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0130.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0131.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0132.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0133.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0134.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 28th July 2009 at 15:45.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:36   #62
NIP
Senior - BHPian

awesome ! what a beauty...and in its element ! i'm as green as your jeep with envy !!
Old 28th July 2009, 16:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

The yellow 4x4 plate looks out of place. Please remove it. The color of the hood definitely adds charm to the green.

Last edited by beejay : 28th July 2009 at 16:44.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:59   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks beejay and NIP.

Yes a couple of things need to go/refit elsewhere like the yellow 4x4 plate, the rear number plate and the horns

Oh ! and not to forget the diesel ! that is priority number one.

Last edited by DKG : 28th July 2009 at 17:03.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ah... The Baby has been been Baptised....!!! Meaning the water and other stuff.

Now she is ready to take on the world (Eh, the Petrol heart 1st)
Old 28th July 2009, 22:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Wow, DKG, you must be a happy man now.

Straight to work with the CJ. and i am sure you will start loving it more and more after few more OTRs.

the water crossing pics are cool.

Congrats on this wonderfully maintained jeep.

happy Jeeping.
Old 29th July 2009, 00:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

...and you were not even buying this cj3!!
Old 31st July 2009, 03:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Excellent purchase Deepak, welcome to the 4X4 family. Great to know you actually got what you were looking for. It is said "..if one really really wants something badly, all forces join in to turn that wish into reality.." (taken from a Shahrukh Khan movie, whose name i dont recall

Its great also to find out that there are many who still swing the petrol way....and i thought i was one of the few nutcases whose breed was disappearing. Wow!!

Quote:
.... interest in offroading is to go into forest trails and visit mountains etc to enjoy nature.

...To me its all about going places where a normal car can't. And above all its being close to something I deeply love, nature.

...A lot of offroaders look forward to the monsoon season. I look forward to the monsoons because nature in India comes alive. No other time of the year does our countryside come alive the way it does in monsoon. If I want to explore the countryside then I need a good offroader. I need to have the skills to be able to negotiate the challenges the wet trails pose. But my objective always has been and will remain to EXPLORE...

...I'm sure there are a few who view things this way.

...Enjoying nature in an open top Jeep, in as much silence as possible has to be my number one priority when offroad.

...So perhaps your observations point to a rational and sensible choice. A diesel for offroading. Performance and economy.

My choice, albeit irrational, enjoying nature in as much silence as possible.
Its as if the above quoted text were written by me. How uncanny.
If we are branded irrational so be it.
Deepak, you're a man after my own heart. Nature is meant to be enjoyed and cherished and if done in as much silence, it dramatically enhances the enjoyment factor to new levels.

Anyone who loves getting drenched in the first rainfall [and finds excuses to do likewise in all rainfalls during the season (faux shower initiated rain dance not included)] knows what im talking about.

Ever got heady with the aroma of wet grass and earth from a recent shower? Ever heard the periodical and systematic crik of an insect which you cant see within the thick flora? Ever heard the sound of the wind caressing the foliage? Well its all about letting these breathtaking moments, sights and sounds seep in. Thats my essence of exploration. To go where no man has ever been...(i think that would be stretching it a bit too far, will rephrase that)..going where a few men have been. Its all about getting one with nature.

Ofcourse Offroading remains a top priority, thats why i bought the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi TramWay,
You can get the Transceiver in Mayapuri @ 1400 RS, it comes with Receiver, Knobs and Flexible Aluminum Antenna (Foldable to avoid any damage). I dont whether it works or not because i did not try to catch Army Signals. But if you want i can source one for you .
May i trouble/request you to please look out for one such transceiver for my CJ3B too? Im dying to get one. Mayapuri seems to be a treasure trove for souricng period Jeep parts. Another member Vaibhav has kindly offered to source me the complete set of blackout lamps required for my CJ from Mayapuri.

Now what Deepak? a Winch to complete everything?

Right now my efforts are directed at getting my CJ3B Rcl ready and on the road within a few days. Wouldnt want to miss the season. By the way, im restoring my Cj to what it was, an Rcl, sans the turret but with the original windscreen. Gives it that killer look, dont know about praticality. Will live and learn. Am a newbie to Jeeps and 4X4 so cant find out till you try it. Got a lot to learn.

All the best.

Last edited by V-16 : 31st July 2009 at 03:34.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:27   #69
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
It is said "..if one really really wants something badly, all forces join in to turn that wish into reality.."
I never thought others felt the same way !! My life so far seems to have revealed this fact of life. If you desire or will somehting hard enough you get it. I know this to be true

Quote:
Its great also to find out that there are many who still swing the petrol way....and i thought i was one of the few nutcases whose breed was disappearing. Wow!!...

...Nature is meant to be enjoyed and cherished and if done in as much silence, it dramatically enhances the enjoyment factor to new levels.
Just before dusk around Hyderabad the wilderness comes alive with the hauntingly beautiful calls of peacocks. I simply cannot afford to be disturbing that environment with a diesel and miss out on that awesome sound.

When deciding about the petrol engine the one thought that came to my mind was that mind blowing moment in Corbett last summer when we were whisper quiet in a Gypsy just beyond the high bank road and lo and behold we find a tiger walking just 150 feet ahead. All we heard is the crackle of leaves under the tyres and the alerted calls of birds as the majestic king walked on totally unruffled by us behind. Now imagine if I go back into that moment with a DI engine !!!

Quote:
Anyone who loves getting drenched in the first rainfall [and finds excuses to do likewise in all rainfalls during the season (faux shower initiated rain dance not included)] knows what im talking about.

Ever got heady with the aroma of wet grass and earth from a recent shower? Ever heard the periodical and systematic crik of an insect which you cant see within the thick flora? Ever heard the sound of the wind caressing the foliage? Well its all about letting these breathtaking moments, sights and sounds seep in. Thats my essence of exploration. To go where no man has ever been...(i think that would be stretching it a bit too far, will rephrase that)..going where a few men have been. Its all about getting one with nature.
Beautifully summarised. I am sure many here really enjoy this aspect of going offroad and agree with your view wholeheartedly. The beauty about this perspective in going offroad is it that the sport will endear itself to one's entire family as its about enjoying nature. The machine is merely a tool to enable us to get to places we cannot otherwise go to in a car.

Quote:
May i trouble/request you to please look out for one such transceiver for my CJ3B too?
I will be visiting our local Jeep mart tomorrow, will ask for another unit.

Quote:
Now what Deepak? a Winch to complete everything?
Arre wah !! Now you've become a mind reader !! A friend and I want to import some warn units, the only issue is their weight. Will figure out a way soon

Quote:
Right now my efforts are directed at getting my CJ3B Rcl ready and on the road within a few days. Wouldnt want to miss the season. By the way, im restoring my Cj to what it was, an Rcl, sans the turret but with the original windscreen. Gives it that killer look, dont know about praticality.
Good choice, why undo the car's true purpose. You never know that split in the windscreen could become useful to carry a high power telephoto for wildlife photography or a telescope for some gazing into the stunning night skies. Or even rods for a tent !! I actually think its a versatile thing to have

Thanks for a great post Gogi, you made my day !!

Last edited by DKG : 31st July 2009 at 10:29.
Old 1st August 2009, 02:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I A friend and I want to import some warn units, the only issue is their weight. Will figure out a way soon
There is a place, adjacent to the dock area, where a lot ship wreck scrap comes for sale. I was told by someone that there are plenty of electrical winches come up. I will be checking those out and will keep your requirement in mind. If i can get pics i will (generally they are not very friendly to that gesture). Will keep you posted on that.

Quote:
Good choice, why undo the car's true purpose. You never know that split in the windscreen could become useful to carry a high power telephoto for wildlife photography or a telescope for some gazing into the stunning night skies. Or even rods for a tent !! I actually think its a versatile thing to have
Good Gosh!! I never thought about it like that at all. How true, how true!!

Last edited by V-16 : 1st August 2009 at 02:54.
Old 11th October 2009, 05:06   #71
BHPian

Hi DKG,
I just recently joined team-bhp and one of the reasons that made me to join is to interact with knowledgeable persons like you. I have read almost all the threads that you started and came across your comments on other threads too. I must say you have great knowledge regarding vintage cars especially Packard's and your contribution to team-bhp is invaluable.
Coming to this post, I really like the look of your Jeep and the way it's restored is amazing. You made a great decision buying this jeep and I'm pretty confident you won't regret buying it. You are making a perfect use of it and that's the way jeep's are to be used. You know, we have a willy's jeep, it was LHD short chasis jeep. But in the 80's it was converted to RHD long wheel base. Wish we hadn't changed it. Wondering if it could be converted back to it's original state?
Old 21st November 2009, 13:13   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

My CJ3B came home yesterday with a brand new heart and most obviously a new soul !!!

Yes - that's what a Hurricane engine does to your Jeep. To be very honest having used the Jeep with the DI unit I now feel its almost cruel to run a Jeep with a diesel engine. You rob the vehicle of its soul and character. The CJ3B in petrol guise is a virtual delight. I couldn't believe what a difference going back to the petrol makes. Its transformed the vehicle and she oozes so much more of the character which endears Jeeps to people the world over.

A month ago, with many offroad trips to her credit, the Jeep suddenly started to grind gears when going into second. I suspected the synchro rings to have given up and when I took the gearbox apart it turned out to be more than a synchro job. There were teeth missing in the input drive gear, the cluster gear, main drive shaft had scoring on the front end and even the auxillary had many teeth worn. Too many things to fix, almost like rebuilding a brand new gearbox. Which led me to think, why not get a brand new gearbox. No harm in trying, often you just have to ask for things in life The local Jeep store owner smiled as I asked and out comes a NOS Mahindra three speed gearbox. I couldn't believe my luck. I gingerly asked if he could organise a auxillary too since the three speeder was for a 2wd. He didn't have one but pointed me in the right direction ie a customer he had sold one to who he knew had still not used it. Luck again as the customer agreed to part with the new auxillary. So I had a complete new gearbox for the 4x4.

Since the main shaft on the 2wd is thinner I then swapped it for the 4x4 shaft and mated the two together to get a complete OE 4x4 gearbox (a lazy Sunday afternoon spent doing this using my 207 load bed as a workbench)

Yesterday as I drove home it was a case of double delight. First the joy of a silky smooth petrol with that familiar exhaust note of Jeeps (btw I managed to get an OE Mahindra exhaust muffler too) and the amazing shift of a butter smooth new gearbox.

Hurricane with new gearbox is pure unadulterated Jeep nirvana !!

I had installed a brand new Solex and new fuel pump too and noticed she needs a little choke to stay stable so I need to upgrade the main jet to atleast 127.5 preferably 140

Will set the point gap with a dwell meter, the timing with a light and we should have a ultra smooth Hurricane soon.

You guys have to drive a petrol CJ3B to realise what a ugly transformation the car goes through when you slot a diesel into it.

Who cares about FE when so much of pleasure is at stake

Last edited by DKG : 21st November 2009 at 13:23.
Old 21st November 2009, 13:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

The transition from the diesel to Hurricane must be exciting.
Since you have now have the first hand experience of running the vehicle on both the engines how good are the cruising speeds on the Hurricane?

Also, zero smoke?

Last edited by beejay : 21st November 2009 at 13:25. Reason: Also...
Old 21st November 2009, 13:41   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The transition from the diesel to Hurricane must be exciting.
Since you have now have the first hand experience of running the vehicle on both the engines how good are the cruising speeds on the Hurricane?

Also, zero smoke?
Beejay I am yet to change the crown wheel pinion set to the 5.38 so right now with the 4.27 it seems to fly. For cruising the 4.27 feels just right. But in traffic the second gear simply has no torque and you have to come to a halt to switch to first which is a drag. So eventually I will upgrade to 5.38 to enable more grunt in 2nd gear. Since most of our city traffic is slow, 2nd gear use is more likely. UBS was recommending the 4.88 too as an option but since I enjoy going offroad I will opt for the 5.38.

As for zero smoke let me share this funny incident that happned yesterday. After the electricals were connected up I fired the CJ up and drove straight to a petrol bunk and filled up the tank.

I then drove to the mechanic because the idle was still rough and in no time there was this huge plume of smoke bellowing from the exhaust. I was aghast at seeing it and couldn't believe that the engine could have gone bust so soon. Then as I intentionally inhaled some smoke to see if this was oil burnt I was horrified to realise it was a paraffin smell.

The attendent at the pump had filled in a 1000 bucks worth of diesel in a Jeep that was now petrol. I couldn't believe I could be so stupid to assume that just because I drove up in a Jeep that was dead silent the attendent should have figured it was petrol. We then had to empty the tank and fill petrol in.

BTW yes it is zero smoke when it runs on petrol

Last edited by DKG : 21st November 2009 at 13:43.
Old 21st November 2009, 15:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

My. Good you realised in time and emptied the tank. I guess you should have a small sticker, a very subtle one that indicates the type of fuel. Ideally Jeeps equal diesel.
Again congrats on your ride, second time round.

Most Viewed