Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:07   #106

As promised, pics of my CJ3B.

The first Jeep has been stripped to the chassis. Just applied a coat of Red Oxide to her today.

The 2nd jeep is visible in the background. Want to get her running too. A bit of a challenge; but none the less, has to be done.

Looking forward to suggestions on paint theme for both Jeeps.

Bunty...
Attached Thumbnails
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image049.jpg  

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image050.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2009, 10:06   #107
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Bunty, since you have stripped the car to the frame ideally you should sandblast the frame. Its inexpensive and unmatched in its ability to free the frame of rust and grime/dirt. You could also consider sandblasting the undersides of the tub. You will be amazed as to how clean you can get the steel.

Basically this allows for a surface ideal for painting.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:05   #108
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fixed a small flow control valve to the fuel pipeline before the carb, with a return pipe to the tank. Hopefully this should relieve/lower pressure and prevent the customary flooding taking place when I switch off. Will update you guys if this works well. I checked the pressure too and its way beyond the recommended 1.75-2 lbs. Its more like 3.5-4 lbs !!
Old 24th December 2009, 21:20   #109

Yes DKG, I spoke with the Mechanic about sand blasting the Chassis and Tub. He said there is absolutely no rust on this Jeep. As for the Grime and Grease, he had it all wiped off with a mix of Solvent and Paint Stripper. I will definitely have to Sand Blast the other Jeep.

We have now added extra welds to the chassis; basically to stiffen it and add strength.

Just a question DKG; IS the suspension of the CJ3 and Major the same? I mean the Bushing, Rubber Insers, etc.
Old 24th December 2009, 22:47   #110
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The addition of a flow control valve between fuel pump and carburettor has solved the problem of the Solex flooding after you switch off. Now the excess fuel being pumped gets rerouted back to the tank by way of a small return pipe.

The car is now starting on one tick after a stopover. Earlier the carb would flood after a run and require a full open throttle crank for a good minute to start.

The pressure output of a new fuel pump is higher than what the carb needle can handle and a pressure release valve solves this problem

@Bunty - Behram Dhabhar and Uday Bhan Singh are the right people to clarify on similarities/differences between a CJ3B and Major's suspension

Last edited by DKG : 24th December 2009 at 22:48.
Old 26th December 2009, 09:28   #111

Some more pics from yesterdays visit to the workshop.

The Front Fenders, Grill, Bonnet, Tail gate have been stripped of the paint and a coat of Red oxide applied. The chassis was given a Grey coat of primer before being painted black.

My Jeep Restorer, Abhijeet Lonkar, has added additional weld joints at various locations on the chassis. The Tub is now being worked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image052.jpg  

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image053.jpg  

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image054.jpg  

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-image055.jpg  

Old 27th December 2009, 17:41   #112
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The pressure release via a simple flow control valve. The excess fuels gets routed back to the tank. The valve is located between the fuel pump and the carb. I attached a meter for testing and noticed the pressure was beyond 4 lbs. Now its down to 2.5 lbs. Ideally it should have been between 1.75-2 lbs as per the specs but the flow control valve I purchased has an ID of 2 mm max and on full open is giving a pressure of 2.5 lbs. To drop the pressure further I'd have to get a valve with perhaps a 2.5 or 3 mm ID. The next one available in the market right now jumps to 4 mm which would instantly bleed all pressure (I think). In anycase with a release valve present atleast the fuel doesn't force its way into the carb post a switch off. Its going into the tank. I guess a pressure of 2.5 vs 1.75-2 won't hurt.

The car now starts on one tick after a stopover. No more flooding on account of the high residual pressure in the fuel line post a switch off. I am now able to switch off at traffic signals and start when it turns amber . So much for a well sorted Solex !

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0149.jpg

Have used the same return inlet of the diesel tank

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0151.jpg

I had noticed some m-seal on the old tank. Out it goes and a new OE tank from Mahindra comes in

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0161.jpg

Here's how I am enjoying the Jeep. Often used to go to work too She does go like a hurricane now !!

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0153.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0154.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0155.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0156.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0157.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0159.jpg

I'd like to thank two gems we have here on TBHP, Behram Dhabhar and UBS. They are both ever so refreshingly willing to share from their extensive knowledge and experience. It just makes so much sense to give them a tinkle before making any changes. Thank you gentlemen, the Jeep community is fortunate to have you two.

Last edited by DKG : 27th December 2009 at 17:50.
Old 27th December 2009, 19:02   #113

Congratulations DKG. That is one Handsome Jeep.
Old 27th December 2009, 20:22   #114
BHPian

DKG ... she's beautiful.

OT: Nice dog too !!
Old 27th December 2009, 21:13   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - thank you so very much for your kind words. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job. The real reason why I get delighted to help all of you? I must state it today. Read on, you will be surprised how human beings can behave.

I am a die hard CL340 / CJ3B fan. I skimped and saved out of my meagre salary at that time and in 1994 looked around for a good used CL340 in Mumbai. I found 2 cars with high asking price which I did not find attractive. So I skimped and saved more, almost went broke, got a lot of flak from my family and finally took delivery of my brand new red coloured CL340 MH01P8300 on 3 January 1995. I paid a total of exactly Rs.2,69,292.00 on road in Mumbai. I used it exactly for a year, exactly for 12000 kms and I had to very reluctantly sell it off due to total non-availability of parking space. The details are too unmentionable to put out on a public forum. If I would say anything, I would be transgressing the limits of decency. I"ll just say that an action by one man having money power and king sized pride has portrayed to me to what low level humankind's actions can go. I have been trying my level best to find parking but I guess this curse is on me for the rest of my life.

My dream - one of my dreams was to drive slowly on the left hand side of the road, with my hard earned CL340, on Marine Drive Mumbai, at night, with my family, with the windshield glass folded down. I could never remove the soft top for parking reason so today even after exactly 14 years, my dream remains unfulfilled, only because of the degratory actions of one man in my life. Whew!

As I cannot have my CL340 (I have not given up, the day I get pucca parking, I shall immediately buy one), I am seeing MH01P8300 in everybody's Jeeps. Therefore, it gives me immense pleasure to help all of you.

Therefore, once agin, Dear Deepak - I just loved it when I saw your Jeep with the windshield glass folded down. I am seeing you realising my dream for me. Please go ahead and enjoy your Jeep. All my best wishes are always with you.

I am glad that the fuel return line is delivering the desired result to you. There is no need for the elaborate set up. A tee connection with an orifice will suffice.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th December 2009 at 21:18. Reason: add info
Old 28th December 2009, 00:47   #116

@DKG- Just the first of many questions to follow. Is that a new Petrol tank? Or is it a Diesel Tank?

@Behram- That is one dream a lot of people who go and buy Jeeps share. I can empathize with you regarding the parking issue. Lets hope you can get your Jeep back...
Old 28th December 2009, 02:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Awsome write up DKG , I read this entire thread , the very first post was awsome.

The start of a Jeeper , thats what I would name it.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:31   #118
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
Congratulations DKG. That is one Handsome Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
DKG ... she's beautiful
Thanks guys.

Quote:
OT: Nice dog too !!
She's quite adorable. Intrigued about what I was doing. I tell her she's an asihwariya rai of dogs !! The male is so regal and more of an emperor, the way he sits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My dream - one of my dreams was to drive slowly on the left hand side of the road, with my hard earned CL340, on Marine Drive Mumbai, at night, with my family, with the windshield glass folded down
Now that is something I can deeply relate to. I sincerely hope that you will be able to do this very soon !!

Quote:
I just loved it when I saw your Jeep with the windshield glass folded down. I am seeing you realising my dream for me. Please go ahead and enjoy your Jeep. All my best wishes are always with you.
Everytime you are in Hyderabad we'll drive out just this way and have a cuppa coffee !!

So many people think I am crazy to drive the Jeep around with the top down and the screen folded. They just don't know what they are missing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
Is that a new Petrol tank? Or is it a Diesel Tank?
I think new petrol tanks would be hard to find. Its a new tank meant for the diesel Jeeps. No alteration required to install though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Awsome write up DKG , I read this entire thread , the very first post was awsome.

The start of a Jeeper , thats what I would name it.
Thanks Foby, glad you enjoyed it.
Old 28th December 2009, 21:23   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

I think new petrol tanks would be hard to find. Its a new tank meant for the diesel Jeeps. No alteration required to install though.

From what I have read; Petrol being more corrosive than diesel requires a lining to the tank. A diesel tank used for a petrol car will hence corrode leaving residue in the fuel line.

I too need to change my Petrol tank. One suggestion was to get the tank made in FRP. Any inputs from Mr. Behram?
Old 28th December 2009, 21:59   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - I can't wait for that cuppa coffee. Finally I will be in an open Jeep with the windshield glass folded down on the bonnet. Pure nirvana for me.

By the way, please DO NOT use diesel tank for storing petrol. Please source a good petrol tank, however difficult it may prove for you to source. Both tanks look the same but as pretol by nature is corrosive, petrol tanks are made out of a steel sheet known as "terne plate" whereas diesel tank is just "patra" as diesel is not corrosive. Terne plate raw material sheets are mostly imported, although some steel manufacturers have started manufacturing now. Believe you me, if you use diesel tank, petrol will attack its inner walls, corrode it and all the impurities will enter the carburettor. You will wonder what hit you. Use a diesel tank in a pretol car and in 6 months it will ruin your engine and the tank will start getting pin holes in it. We have simulated trials, so I know. Just change it, please. Thanks.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks