Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 23:32   #91
Team-BHP Support

Very good install DKG! Then again not a big surprise I also noticed the direct connection of earthing and the hydrolic line near the cylinder wall, what are they for?

Yes investing on an electronic pump is a good idea, helps take the load off the mechanical pump and should give it more life also.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:20   #92
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
Is the fan shroud original? My father doesn't remember having it on when he took the Hurricane out of the Mahindra. Engine bay looks as clean as the rest of the Jeep. I wish I could see it in person.
I have very little knowledge about what's original on a Jeep so I can't say for sure, but I have seen some CJ3B's with a similar shroud. I know this one came from a Jeep, not sure which one.

Yesterday I saw a army disposal Jeep with a huge gap between the fan and the radiator, didn't seem right. But technically it makes sense to have the fan closer to the radiator along with the shroud to further aid suction through radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very good install DKG! Then again not a big surprise I also noticed the direct connection of earthing and the hydrolic line near the cylinder wall, what are they for?

Yes investing on an electronic pump is a good idea, helps take the load off the mechanical pump and should give it more life also.
Thanks Jaggu. One is the battery lead to the engine. I guess originally it should go to the frame and then through a wire strap to the engine?

The other is a line to the oil meter.

Actually I need to get hold of the original parts manual and the shop manual for the Mahindra CJ3B so I can ensure things are done as per original spec. Till I get these I have to depend on the local Jeep mechanics. They seem so confident in recommending the way things should be done. I guess most times they are right.

I'll give you an example. The new silencer has been hung vide brackets that fit directly to the frame without any insulation. When I questioned the bodyshop guy he insisted this is how it is originally. I mentioned it makes no sense as vibrations from the engine get transferred to the frame and body but he held his ground. I still feel the silencer should float so I will have the way its hung changed to enable some insulation.

If I had the manuals then I could verify things myself
Old 26th November 2009, 10:56   #93
Team-BHP Support

Yup its a pain while restoring/repairing if you dont have some kind of documentation.
Old 26th November 2009, 23:59   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I'll give you an example. The new silencer has been hung vide brackets that fit directly to the frame without any insulation. When I questioned the bodyshop guy he insisted this is how it is originally. I mentioned it makes no sense as vibrations from the engine get transferred to the frame and body but he held his ground. I still feel the silencer should float so I will have the way its hung changed to enable some insulation.

If I had the manuals then I could verify things myself
Deepak,

Mine is a stock MM550XDB, and the silencer setup is exactly same as you told. For namesake, there is a rubber bush which is supposed to take the vibration but it never does. I am planning to re-design the entire silencer line like TATA Sumo floating type.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 27th November 2009 at 00:00.
Old 27th November 2009, 10:20   #95
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
For namesake, there is a rubber bush which is supposed to take the vibration but it never does. I am planning to re-design the entire silencer line like TATA Sumo floating type.
Totally agree with you. The Tata system is far more efficient in isolating vibration. I think I will do the same for the CJ3B
Old 28th November 2009, 15:41   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - my reply to your queries is as follows:

Electronic pump works as follows when used in series with a mechanical pump. The fuel is routed through the electronic pump even when the pump is not electrically connected (means even when it is not "on"). You have an operating switch on the dashboard to actuate the electronic pump when you experience any percolation issue. It is adviseable to use the electronic fuel pump with a fuel return line. The electronic fuel pump also comes in handy to prime the fuel system before starting the engine if you have not used the vehicle for some time. So, please install it and do the plumbing as required. 1.6 mm orifice for fuel return line is derived after numerous iterations. It took me 3 months and 19 tests to derive. Please use it. If orifice diameter is more, the vehicle will starve because more fuel will return. If diameter is less, fuel return system does not remain effective. It serves as a pressure regulator, you are correct. There are vapour separators also available. These regulate the pressure by using a small ball valve instrad of an orifice. If your present cooling system is not pressurized, water will come out of the radiator during ghat climbing and the engine will overheat. Also, the surge tank that is fitted becomes redundant. Please ensure that you use a pressure cap with 2 rubber gaskets and that the height of the cap from gasket to gasket should be more than the height of the neck of the radiator, otherwise pressurization will not take place. Standard tables are available for matching such components. Solex carburettors are notorious for flooding. Check the float level in the carburettor. When you press the float down totally, the fuel level must rise so that its top comes in line with a small die cast projection on the inside of the float chamber. Usually an additional washer below the needle valve does the trick but beyond this, only God can help you. I am so frustrated by solex carburettors leaking that I finally equipped 2 of my 4 restored Fiat cars with Mikuni carburettors.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:54   #97

Nice looking jeep.Can you please tell us where you got the spears for your engine.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:12   #98
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay 2666 View Post
Nice looking jeep.Can you please tell us where you got the spears for your engine.
I purchased all the spares from a local Mahindra parts dealer called Rex Automobiles.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:29   #99

Thanks. Is Rex close to Osmani hospital inside the lane opposite the mosque?
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:38   #100
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay 2666 View Post
Thanks. Is Rex close to Osmani hospital inside the lane opposite the mosque?
Yes it is. I have asked the owner for a comprehensive list of petrol Jeep spares he has. He mentioned he will compile the list and send it to me. I will post it here so anyone wanting the same can access them

Infact ideally people across India can source these lists and share here. Lets start a new thread for that.

Last edited by DKG : 3rd December 2009 at 17:39.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:51   #101
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Its now almost two weeks since my CJ3B got a new heart and I've been driving it as often as possible. What a joy. Although I am yet to upgrade to the 5.38:1 axle the drive is so much more enjoyable than the diesel. At times when cruising it almost feels like a electric motor !!

All of a sudden now I am aware of small noises coming from the bonnet hook or the jerry can making a noise in its holder. Never ever paid attention to all this.

I would highly recommend all CJ3B owners to atleast once drive a petrol verison to know what their car's true character is.

I am yet to implement Mr. Dhabhar's recommendation for the fuel regulator, will do it shortly as I suspect the fuel pump pressure is too high and causing the carb to flood when I switch off the engine.

I have also noticed that it helps to place a washer or two in the oil pressure relief valve spring seat to increase oil pressure.
Old 7th December 2009, 00:29   #102

Hi DKG,

GREAT JEEP!!!

I am also in the process of restoring 2 petrol CJ3Bs. Bought them both at an Army auction. One is being stripped down while the other will be done once the first is done with.

We cranked the Jeep at hand yesterday. It started on the first attempt. This after being idle for atleast 3 years. Name a diesel that can do that. And to listen to the exhaust notes. PURE BLISS...

I will post some pics in a day or two.

Sorry for hijacking your link.

Ciao,

Bunty
Old 7th December 2009, 22:14   #103
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
I am also in the process of restoring 2 petrol CJ3Bs. Bought them both at an Army auction. One is being stripped down while the other will be done once the first is done with.
Hope you are taking lots of pictures as you work on the Jeep. Do please share detailed shots. It would be fun to read about your restoration

Quote:
We cranked the Jeep at hand yesterday. It started on the first attempt. This after being idle for atleast 3 years.
Great to hear that. Do use some flushing oil before you change to fresh oil as sometimes old oil blocks passages

Quote:
And to listen to the exhaust notes. PURE BLISS...
How true. Since the engine is fairly silent its the exhaust note that I am really enjoying. With the new silencer its crystal clear and you can hear each cylinder fire as you accelerate gently
Old 7th December 2009, 23:31   #104

Yes DKG. I will start with the photo sessions soon.

Anyways, the Butterfly on the original Solex Carb had developed excessive clearance. My mechanic arranged to get the 32 PBIC Carb from Delhi. Its brand new, but not Solex. Some company called KAPCCO. Do you have any idea what that is? Not that it has caused any problem.

I need to change my fuel tank. In your posts, you did mention that you too had problem finding a fuel tank. Any luck? Please share.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:23   #105
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a clean set of front and rear 8/43 diff assemblies. Turned out to be an all American original with the smaller front diff carrier. Bearings turned out to be Timken and the crown/pinion was the original Dana/Spicer material. Having them serviced with new wheel cylinder washers, new liners and oil seals. Should go into the car Friday. So now I can lug the Hurricane at snail speeds effortlessly

I'm having a ball using the Jeep in town too as the engine is a delight. In low rev mode its almost like an electric motor while cruising. Just bought a set of new free wheeling hubs too so the ride on tarmac in 2wd should be further vibration free. They'll go on with the 5.38's

Bunty it shouldn't be very difficult finding a new tank.

Last edited by DKG : 8th December 2009 at 22:29.

Most Viewed