Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 04:11   #1

My 1998 TJ

Hey guys,
This is my 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ.

I bought this in stock condition in mid 2008 and since then have done some work on it...

Firstly I installed a 4 inch rancho suspension lift kit with a steering stabilizer..

The jeep had stock 30's on it which I replaced with BF Goodrich All Terrain 33s....

These 33s are on chrome 15 inch eagles which I got custom built ....

I have also installed a sony stereo system and CD changer with custom built boxes for the the 2 550W Polk 6X9s at the rear and a 1300 W Sony Sub in the trunk..... Its got 2 160W 4X6s in the Dash and 2 tweeters..... All supported by a single 1500 W Rockford Fosgate amp.... (its a crazy system)

Currently I am working on a new exhaust system, cat con and air intake....

Also planning on installing a light bar on the windshield pillar...

I m new on this website and m so glad to find Indian jeep enthusiasts....

Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1998 TJ-dsc01062.jpg  

My 1998 TJ-dsc01065.jpg  

My 1998 TJ-dsc01066.jpg  

My 1998 TJ-dsc01059.jpg  

Old 1st August 2009, 14:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That wheel + tyre combination has transformed the look of your Jeep! You are LUCKY to have that kind of parts support (bolt on lift kits etc.). Lots of trial & error in India. We have a related discussion going on, join in!

Clean Jeeps don't look nice. You go four-wheeling? How about some pictures?
Old 1st August 2009, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav,
Nice looking jeep you got there! Congratulations!
Old 1st August 2009, 20:02   #4

GTO: I bought it Kansas city last year where I took on a few trails in stock condition. however i dont have any pictures of the trails.

I m in New Jersey currently so planning on taking it to this trail in upstate NY soon. Will upload the pics as soon as I have them.

Vinod: Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 22:39   #5
BANNED

We could see a CRV in the picture behind the Jeep.

The CRV has been launched in india ,but when will these kind of jeep be launched
Old 1st August 2009, 23:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your JEEP and becoming a JEEPER/JEEPSTER!

well i dont think we need the JEEP to sell in india as we have MMs and MGs!

the JEEP wont have volumn sales to justify the commercial benefits!
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:28   #7

Joshguy/ Parm: Parm is right man..... I dont think these jeeps will sell much in India. The only buyer will be a handful of guys like you

The biggest disadvantage of these jeeps is their gas mileage. Mine gives me around 5 km/ litre on the highway which is crazyy.

I just busted the water pump and that cost me around $250. So even the parts are very expensive.

Are there any wranglers in India?
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:55   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravG84 View Post
I m in New Jersey currently so planning on taking it to this trail in upstate NY soon. Will upload the pics as soon as I have them.
Where on the east coast? We had very few spots around Boston.

Quote:
Are there any wranglers in India?
Handful of originals, but PLENTY of fake converts!
Old 4th August 2009, 23:16   #9

GTO: Do you know any guys from the Team-bhp community who are located in the states....especially jeepsters on the east coast....

I have a few buddies around here with whom I plan to do a few trails next month....

Here in the states when a wrangler passes anather wrangler...the drivers always wave out to each other and the thing is that I have not seen a single Indian here in a jeep....

Let me know...

Regards,
G
Old 5th August 2009, 06:37   #10
BHPian

I had one...

Quote:
GTO: Do you know any guys from the Team-bhp community who are located in the states....especially jeepsters on the east coast....

I have a few buddies around here with whom I plan to do a few trails next month....

Here in the states when a wrangler passes anather wrangler...the drivers always wave out to each other and the thing is that I have not seen a single Indian here in a jeep....

Let me know...

Regards,
G
Hi Gaurav,
I had a '97 wrangler for 4 years when I was in the US. But, you know I never went offroading there.. was too busy with school, work and kids.

Now I wish I had tried it a few times. Anyways, when I was in South Carolina it was great weather and my wife and I travelled a lot with the top off. After we moved to Michigan (just like NJ), a softtop wrangler was good only for a few months (4 - 5 months).

I have seen a a few Indians with wranglers.. but, in my opinion, while in the US Indians are too worried about mileage, maintenance and insurance costs.

I have done up a Jeep in Bangalore and "everyone" looks at it longingly and I get a lot of thumbs up and waves.

I am assuming that you have done web searches for US Jeep forums, from which you can get info on offroading on the east coast. I am sure therer are a lot of Jeep clubs too. Just go back to your dealer and I am sure they can give you some contacts.

Happy Jeeping!!
Old 5th August 2009, 07:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sweet looking jeep! Thats a stunner,gaurav. Do post pics from your off-road events.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:38   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Let me know...

Regards,
G
I suggest you drop a PM to Mod "Aah78" who lives on the east coast. He's been lusting after Jeeps ever since our 4x4 forum section went live. Only needs a gentle push before he buys one himself
Old 6th August 2009, 00:47   #13
BHPian

Gaurav thats one sweet ride. I have recently been hooked on to the 4 x4 section and been thinking of getting a TJ. I see listings starting from $4k onwards for a post 96. Any advise on what to look (and look out for!) would be great.

And I am in Toronto, east coast and if I get one, I would be interested in doing some trails, even in upstate NY. They also have some great routes up here which I am thinking of exploring.
Old 6th August 2009, 21:18   #14

Hey Raj,

Good to here that ur interested in Jeeps

If u plan on buying one just for off-roading then u will have many options.... CJs from the 1980s to 1995.

However these are not very good for daily driving..

So if you plan on using it as a regular vehicle which you would offroad once in a while like I do... go for a TJ ...

Also keep in mind that Jeep prices have not really been affected by the recession and people even sell 96 TJs for 6 to 7 grands...

4 K would be a stock 96 TJ.. which you will really need to inspect ... Usually for underbody damage and rust... 96 TJs have been reported to have problems with the headers and the Cat-con...

Let me know if you have any particular jeep in mind and I can help you with it..

I am located in Princeton NJ..

Good to hear from ya.

Cheers!
Old 6th August 2009, 22:27   #15
BHPian

I once drove a 2004 TJ Sahara 1600 miles from Florida to Michigan in a 3 day road trip. fun.

The wrangler is a terrible on road vehicle, but brilliant in the dirt. and its got a massive amount of character that makes it fun to drive any time, anywhere.

I had the TJ and a 1991 miata concurrently and I drove the jeep exclusively for a while and the miata stayed parked for over a month and the jeep started to feel perfectly normal. then I drove the miata and it was like driving a formula 1 car.

I'd like to buy a CJ5 or CJ7 with a manual transmission. Maybe even a TJ.......

I've also become deeply lustful of the AEV modified JKs. far far too expensive though.

Most Viewed