Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:34   #1
BHPian

1964 Willys CJ3B

Hi !!

I am Jasvinder from Delhi. I have been a member of T-Bhp for quite some time now, but not an active one though. I recently got hold of a 1964 Willys 3B(Thanks to Vaibhav, sorry I dont know your T-Bhp Handle). I have started the work on the Jeep to get it into good shape. Although the Jeep was in running condition when I got it, but it needed a lot of attention and work in many areas. I will be posting my experience of repairing the Jeep and the pictures (Although I haven't been able to document the project well enough, but will try in future) of the project through this thread.

regards

Here are some picture that I have taken earlier
Willys CJ3B - a set on Flickr
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi diesel_maniac. Welcome to the forum. While here, please go through the board rules.

Congratulations on your purchase. Vaibhav is Gotzuk on the forum He is a very well informed Jeep enthusiast who is always willing to help fellow Bhp-ians.

You have a good original cj with a Hurricane petrol engine. One thing buddy, dont convert the Jeep to a diesel, keeping with your team-bhp handle/name.

Enjoy your stay here.

Last edited by V-16 : 3rd August 2009 at 19:01. Reason: add
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:34   #3
BHPian

Thanks V, Both for the welcome and help with Vaibhav's Handle. Yeap He's a great guy, have known him for sometime now. The Jeep is going to as close to original as possible, Offcourse would be needing a lot of help from everyone around. My handle is pre Hurricane era, it wud definately have been petrohead or something had I selected it after I bought and drove my first Jeep, also an original Petrol CJ3B.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:35   #4
BHPian

The Progress So Far...

Although the 3B has been with me since 5-6 months I was able to start work on it last month, We took the whole Jeep apart at a small workshop that I have created in the driveway of my work unit in Noida. I have a very competent Mechanic working with me on this project. He's my Uncle, and has worked on some other Jeeps owned by fellow TBHP members like Harjeev, Soumen etc. As Vaibhav(Gotzuk) had just got the Engine job done under his supervision before I bought the Jeep from him, the areas that needed attention were:

Gearbox and T/case: was leaking oil very badly and wasn't serviced at the time engine job.

Steering Assy , King Pin Bearings and Linkages: Excessive Play and years of usage

Suspension : It was taken care of at the time engine job, so only minor cleaning and lubrication was required.

Brakes and wheel bearings : were checked for any wear etc, cleaned and packed as they were also done up, thanks to Gotzuk.

Electricals and instrumentation: Will need a new wiring harness, most of the fittings and servicing of Dynamo etc

WORK DONE SO FAR

After taking the Jeep apart we started with the servicing of G/Box and T/case. It had some rust inside but was working fine as we drove the Jeep from Shimla to Delhi when I bought the Jeep. We have cleaned up the whole thing inside and outside. all the oil seals and packings were replaced with new ones and the unit was packed.

Next came the front end of the vehicle, front brakes, bearings, steering linkages and Diff cover were taken out to examine the condition of the stuff and were replaced or put back after cleaning them up. In all two new KGPN bearings were replaced one on each side. Old tie end rubber boots were replaced and circlip type axle locks were fitted on front axles as they were missing. Same treatment was metted out to rear end, which also cleaned lubed and repacked.

Steering Box had excessive play due to weared out sector shaft bushings andd sector shaft pins. I got the shaft grinded and new bushes were fabricated and fitted as per the new size. the pins were also fabricated and old ones were replaced. The Steering link Arm situated on the front cross member also had some play due to weared out mounting bolt, here also a new bush was fabricated and replaced. Tie ends have not been replaced as they seems to be working fine as of now.

Body work: The body of the Jeep needed some attention as the Jeep had accumlated a lot of rust over the years. The front floor area of the Jeep, both driver and passenger side has been patched up with new sheet. a missing support hat channel has been fitted under the one of the rear wheel wells. A lot of holes were drilled in the body by its previous owners for fitting diff attachments etc. they all have been filled up. We have coated the underside of the tub with rubber seal for covering up all the corners and Joints. The original bonnet had a few cracks which were welded and is being dented for other minor indents. The front had developed a few cracks on the radiator housing area and had been patched up with thick uneven metal strips. all those have been removed the crackes have been filled in with welding.

The Chassis frame had accumlated a lot of dirt,oil and rust over the the years. it took a lot of time, effort and different tools to clean it up thouroghly. It was first cleaned with metal scrappers and washed with diesel to loosen up the dirt twice. than came the washing with caustic soda solution to remove loose paint and rust. Finally the metal wire brush mounted on a angle grinder cleaned out the whole surface to reveal fresh metal. which was primed and than painted in glossy black finish......

I am attaching a link to my flickr album of the pictures that i took recently

Willys CJ3B....Progress So far - a set on Flickr

Will write about the progress on the project in a few days. Hoping for inputs from all of you to let me know where I can do the things in a better way.
Old 6th August 2009, 19:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi jasvinder, congrats on you precious find, hope to see photos of it here on this thread!

Flickr website is banned in Dubai, im not able to see the photos! please post photos here!
Attached Images

Old 6th August 2009, 19:45   #6
BHPian

Hi Jasvinder,
Good to see you here.
What colour have you decided for the 3B?
Old 6th August 2009, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jasvinder!!!
Great to see that now you a part of the TeamBHP community!!!
I agree with Pram. Please upload pictures on this thread and what color have you decided???
Old 6th August 2009, 21:41   #8
BHPian

@ diesel_maniac,
Congrats on a great find.....
Try to keep the original petrol engine...
I think its a L-Head engine...Hurricane...

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Do...not...type..like..this. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2009 at 14:57. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 6th August 2009, 23:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ diesel_maniac,
Congrats on a great find.....
Try to keep the original petrol engine...
I think its a L-Head engine...Hurricane...

The L-head is not called Hurricane, it's Go-Devil. However, diesel_maniac's Willys has the original F-Head.

So,

L-head> Go-Devil (MB, GPW, CJ 2, CJ 3A, M38)

F-head> Hurricane (CJ 3B, CJ 5, M38A1...)
Old 7th August 2009, 09:35   #10
BHPian

@ JeepMkd,
I have mistakenly written it. Thanks for correcting me.
BTW, why you are not posting the pics of your Mahindra jeep in your GARAGE ??
(i.e. View My Garage)
Old 8th August 2009, 07:44   #11
BHPian

Willys Pictures

Hello All,

Here are a few pictures of the Willys. These were taken shortly before I began working on the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1084.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1086.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1087.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1088.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1089.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1091.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1092.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1100.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1101.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1104.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1102.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-1106.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 10:53   #12
BHPian

Need help with paint job quality.

Please go through the following pictures. These have been taken after we cleaned, primed and painted the frame in Black. As you all will notice in these pictures that some areas are not coated with paint. We used a normal gravity feed type spray gun and the frame was placed on metal workshop stands. Since I do not have a lift hoist or anything else for lifting the frame or the vehicle at my place. Can using a suction feed type spray gun help (i.e. better reach) in for these low lying areas. Although the frame and under body area will receive a final coat which will take care of these problem areas too. What can I do in order to avoid this problem in future.

@dhrishikesh: I will have to wait for sometime for approval of my status from newbie to Bhpian, just read the rules (As I was not able to upload pictures in my garage section). Will have different thread for the Mahindra and post some pictures there. Also have few questions about it that I need help from you all.

Here are the pictures :
Attached Thumbnails
1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-623.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-624.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-625.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-626.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-627.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-633.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-634.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-635.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-636.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-637.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-638.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-640.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-641.jpg  

1964 Willys CJ3B-picture-cd-642.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 13:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

that jeep is returning to new life from its grave!

seriously speaking that jeep needs a lot of life support system to bring it to is glory!

good to know there are people who are willing to put in all that effort which goes into bringing it back to life.

good luck to you jasvinder.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:06   #14
BHPian

I'm little confused. Maybe at some time in the past the dash board has been changed. This is Willys CJ 3B, but the dash is definetly from Mahindra CJ 3B. Also the headlights and tailgate doesn't look original.

Last edited by JeepMkd : 8th August 2009 at 16:10.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:01   #15
BANNED

Congrats restoring a jeep from that condition needs lots of patience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks