Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 00:01   #1
BHPian

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec

hi everybody on team bhp .i am posting on team bhp for first time as i'm a new member . have just recently bought a mm550 year 2000 .i am planning to restore it as an original vehicle with no mods but real raw army style. all suggestions are welcome . kindly advise on color(interior and exterior).i am planning a 2k dull matt green(army)color. as far as seats are concerned i looked at original color(green) and it's didnt look bad . kindly advise if there is something specific which i should take care of while getting it repaired .i am posting the first pics of the jeep and more will follow as the work progresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1175.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1176.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1177.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1179.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1180.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1181.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats on becoming a JEEPER and on your new purchase of MM550 ex army!

the jeep looks in a good driveable condition!

where did you bought/picked it from and how much you paid for it?

do write some detailed information about your jeep.

i can see three wheel rims with three different colours?

keep the original shade of the exterior body paint and for interiors strip it and get rust proofing done on the underbody as well.

see Harjeev's jeep build up thread for more ideas. and few other threads too!

take off the body from the chassis, strip it completely and take off the rust from it and get the rust-proofing done on it and hey do remember to get the 4x4 up and running!

lets see a Patiala JEEP!

Last edited by Parm : 8th August 2009 at 00:27.
Old 8th August 2009, 00:45   #3
BHPian

thanks parm. rim color is different cos i sorted out the whole bunch of tyres and found these which could hold air as i had to tow it to patiala.the person i bought it from had around 10-12 rims and tyres and only bout 5 could hold air and i got all 5 . started the unbundling today . took out all the seats and mats and was surprised to find no rust . took out fuel pump and nozzles and got it checked from bosch dealership.its good and just needed rubber kit . starter and alternator are also working perfectly ,got them checked. i am going to keep the 4x4 .
Old 8th August 2009, 00:55   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. The jeep looks in pretty good condition. All you need is a goob paint job, offroad tyres , and make sure the 4x4 is working. Plenty of threads here on mm550 and how to getting it running.

Congrats on the purchase once again and do share details of how, when ,where, how much.
Old 8th August 2009, 01:55   #5
BHPian

Congrats Jeepsan, your jeep looks to be in good condition. post some pictures of the engine compartment, about the colour green its getting too comman try out something new too many in the same colour. We might just have our own army on team-bhp, but the choice is yours.
Old 8th August 2009, 03:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks in decent condition. Is there a source for such army disposal Jeeps in Patiala?

From what I am told there is a market in Patiala where they do decent work on Jeeps. If you live in Patiala then do get the work done there and monitor it as often as possible. From experience these rebuilds/restorations can drag on for months especially if you do not visit very often.

As for the work to be done, follow what Parm has said and check Harjeevs detailed thread (which I used as a manual when I got my Jeep done) and Randeeps thread which has some great pictures of the underbody coatings etc. Insist on getting the chassis and body tub rustproofed and repainted regardless of what the workshop guys tell you. Its better to do things properly once rather than repeat visits to a workshop later. Get all belts and chain changed when you are servicing the engine. See if you can source the rear hatch from the 2001 onward jeeps (it is hinged on right side).

Are you getting a Zira RC made for the Jeep or can you get it registered in Patiala? Also whats the parts situation like for the MM550 in Patiala? I still need a complete wiper system (wiper motor and linkages) and Patiala is not too far away from our village.

Getting the seating recovered should be a doddle in Patiala, you have Bawa near the fountain chownk and Gaggan just further down the road. There are also lots of others but I have always found Bawa and Gaggan to provide decent service at a good price.

Last edited by bigman : 8th August 2009 at 03:53.
Old 8th August 2009, 09:01   #7
BHPian

some new pics . thanx bigman. i am getting the jeep done from same market u are talking bout and will b able to monitor the job. it doesnt need much monitoring cos the guys doing it have done some good jobs for me in past . i had a similar jeep (but not army spec)before i moved abroad.will try to dig out the picture of that if i have one. as far as seats are concerned there is a haryanvi guy in same market ,right opposite to where we are working on jeep . might be able to click the pics today.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1197.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1198.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th August 2009 at 09:44.
Old 8th August 2009, 13:21   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase. Expecting the restroration start soon!

What about the price factor? could you please disclose it here!!

tks/sali
Old 8th August 2009, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is that Sai Market area?

Have you planned any mods such as AC?
Old 8th August 2009, 16:54   #10
BANNED

Congrats on your new buy,Let us know the price you paid for it
Old 8th August 2009, 18:17   #11
BHPian

yes its sai market .and i am planning to fit the bolero a.c. unit in it.
theres an issue with the 4x4 gear lever .i think it is stuck (i have attatched the pic).i cannot move it in any direction . its stuck.kindly advise.and i wanted to know what is the switch at the back of the jeep for. i think it is to attatch some kind of connection for trailer .is it possible to source the cable.and where can i get it from .
Old 8th August 2009, 18:25   #12
BHPian

kindly p.m. me if any one wants to know about price and source.the system wouldnt let me upload picture because of the size
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1207.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 22:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, nice jeep you got there and the work seems to progress fast. Be careful about the restoration time for 550, here we have many which took more than 4-5 months and few still in the process. Its a nice vehicle and forget the worry to pay any toll tax in future. Cheers.
Old 9th August 2009, 00:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

take your own sweet time to restore/build it and dont rush up with the completion.

its better to take time and avoid regular trips back to the garage for small nicks and nacks!

and please keep up with the photos on a regular update!
Old 9th August 2009, 08:20   #15
BHPian

Congrats dude. Thats a very decent condition disposal jeep I have seen. As far the restoration time- trust me, you wont even realise months going by just to make it the perfect way. However the body doesnt seem to have much of work.I am sure it would be pretty soon to hit the road ...I mean offroad.

Regards...Saikat

Most Viewed