Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
SWB, MWB, LWB !?

Off-roading is off-roading,.. a vehicle which can handle all types of terrain with ease is the one which will get the crown of the ultimate off-roader..........
In the form they are sold, at best they are good for someone taking their family to their jungle lodge in relative safety and comfort nothing more.
IMO this thread is not trying to debate for the crown of the ultimate offroader.
The thread starter's probably wants to know if buying a Fortuner is worth it considering its performance in local OTR sessions and simultaneous use everyday vis a vis his Altis & Jeep.
In that context the Fortuner fits his bill perfectly since its performance on and off the road is more than satisfactory for his specific requirements.

To put it into furthur perspective, extreme offroading that you talk of also requires specific skills to match in order to extract the best out of the offroader. These offroaders also have specific tire & suspension requirements to handle extreme terrain and necessary articulation. Such tires and suspension setups are not the ideal setup for road use.

An suv tries to bridge that gap to allow the 'enthusiast' to enjoy on and off road use. At no time can an suv perform like a complete offroader and viceversa. The points you raise are worthy of a debate on another thread where the 'crown for the ultimate offroader' can be discussed.

Cheers,
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 10th August 2009 at 12:31.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The points you raise are worthy of a debate on another thread where the 'crown for the ultimate offroader' can be discussed.

Cheers,
J
Point taken Jay !

Its another fact that Yogesh goes off-roading with us at NIOC,..and the terrain he is talking about is neigh impossible to be done by anything less than a Jeep or a prepared gypsy,..even stock MPFI gypsys falter (due to gearing) !!

But you are right this is powder for another thread
Old 10th August 2009, 23:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
For the same reason most of the SUVs are bought all over the world, driving to the mall
You summarised everything in one line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mechanically the Fortuner is capable of some serious off-roading. I think the biggest flaw will be it's longer wheel base. This LWB issue is there with most 4 Door 4x4s with stock suspension.

The question is, how many people will buy a 20+ lakhs SUV and follow a CJ3B in a trail. The damages maybe mostly cosmetic, but I don't think many owners will want to do even that.
I also feel that mechanically Fortuner would be able to do the stuff we do. It has got GC of 221 with stock tyres which is very good. But the other point is a bigger issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The only utility of Fortuner will be to ferry around more than 5 passengers. Just like other SUV, this SUV will be the one to end up on city roads, and as others have mentioned, driving to malls.
That is not my need, as most of the time we travel less than 5 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
If Fortuner was to be my primary car, I would think before taking it offroad on treacherous terrains. While I don't think twice taking my Jeep on such outings.
+1 to that if I ask myself then probably that is the same story with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
There are many on this forum who do not have a 4x4 suv and worse still have never driven one offroad and yet feel free to comment on its capabilitities. While this is an open forum and we are all free to share our views, maybe we ought to restrain ourselves from just shooting from the mouth.

Its always a good idea to have a seperate vehicle for offroad, but then what do you do when you go on a holiday and see an offroad trail and want to hit that trail but are prevented from doing so because you are in a car. A 4x4 suv bridges that gap.

The question is not whether the Fortuner can perform offroad: The question is, do you have the heart to take it there.
Honestly, as said above, most people buy an suv for pose value and drive it to malls. That does not make an suv a non performer off road. A 4x4 suv(Fortuner) can perform satisfactorily like an offroader and can tackle most, if not all obstacles. Yes wheelbase is a concern, but then, you look at your suv's limitations and decide to tackle it accordingly. Not all offroaders and all suv's can clear all obstacles. Why should that stop you from having fun. Note: I am not talking about extreme offroading, because that is a sport in itself and requires a dedicated offroader with a skilled driver.

A Toyota is very reliable and the Fortuner is a proven horse.
Point again is: Do you have the heart to ride that horse and push it...off-the-road?
I like the direction you think in about SUVs. In reality you are correct the question is not that whether Fortuner can do it or not, the question is do I have the heart to take it Off-road? Nop. Not at the risk of slightest damage. I know how each scratch hurts on a new car..

Quote:
Regarding the damages on your wallet due to offroading:
In a Fortuner driven judiciously and sensibly offroad, your damages should be nil.
That is a valid point again. If I have one then I would never take it to place where it can get damaged but I will not miss a trail offroad where I know it won't damage anything.

Quote:
Lastly, imy opinion is that if you can afford to buy and own a Fortuner then go ahead without batting an eyelid. You will be more than surprised with its capailities and performance, on and off the road.

Take a look at the Mumbai offroading season 09 in the offroad 4x4 excursions thread. That is one helluva trail to Rajmachi in the monsoon. I did it in my Safari followed by an old Prado and a new Landcruiser.
Don't know why I never opened that thread. Its full of damn good OTRs. What crazy stuff you guys do and such fun..
Old 11th August 2009, 00:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

After this discussion I learned that my Jeep and Fortuner is two different purpose vehicles with equal importance. One can’t replace the other. Where with my jeep I can do extreme(Indian sense) thrilling offroad, in Fortuner I can not only do offroad but also take my family and kids to those excursions as those will be less risky, without damage, and full of creature comfort of the SUV. Off course the reliability of Toyota is much more than my 95 model Jeep which I myself never no will start the next time or would have to push start it (fun intended).

If I don’t have to go for extreme offroad in Fortuner then I don’t want manual gears then I want auto transmission and as I will go with my family including kids to such lovely places, I definitely want a sun roof.

Whether I buy or not my Jeep stays with me in every situation.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 11th August 2009 at 00:06.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:30   #20
BHPian

I am seriously in the same dilemma. Scorpio VLX 4*4 is available and so is Fortuner expected and both are in Manual tranny. Scorpio workshop is close to home- walkable and Toyota is too far. I have lost my VLX so will get some money from insurance claim and will also sell Safari 4*4 and use the money for the downpayment for whatever I finally buy.

Only problem is I dont know what I am gonna do with either of them as I am spoilt now by Laura AT & Santro AT so much so that nowadays I find taking the safari out even for a engine warm up (so that it doesnt rust in rains)- too much of a task.

Toyota is proven as a reliable vehicle and so has scorpio proved to be in the 1 year ownership experience but I want it in AT. problem is that I dont want to wait since both these vehicles I was waiting for so eagerly ( almost wishing) and now that they are here almost- I still cant make up my mind.

would it be a good idea to keep safari for few more months till either of these get launched with an AT -4WD? only hitch is that the Safari has such a poor resale value that every month there will be a price drop and with the imminent launch of Indicruz/ new safari - risk is equally high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
After this discussion I learned that my Jeep and Fortuner is two different purpose vehicles with equal importance. One can’t replace the other. Where with my jeep I can do extreme(Indian sense) thrilling offroad, in Fortuner I can not only do offroad but also take my family and kids to those excursions as those will be less risky, without damage, and full of creature comfort of the SUV. Off course the reliability of Toyota is much more than my 95 model Jeep which I myself never no will start the next time or would have to push start it (fun intended).

If I don’t have to go for extreme offroad in Fortuner then I don’t want manual gears then I want auto transmission and as I will go with my family including kids to such lovely places, I definitely want a sun roof.

Whether I buy or not my Jeep stays with me in every situation.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Scorpio workshop is close to home- walkable and Toyota is too far.
Considering Toyota reliability, you really don't need to go to Toyota workshop other than scheduled services so it shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Toyota is proven as a reliable vehicle and so has scorpio proved to be in the 1 year ownership experience but I want it in AT.
Me too. I wish Toyota was planning to launch Fortuner in AT but they are not and I have been waiting for years for a car like Fortuner so I am thinking of taking the plunge now.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:43   #22
BHPian

Well given a chance I wud not let go off the Fortuner. To have a jeep means you need to have a vehicle carrier as well. As most of the times I am off with my familes with round trips of 3000 KMs or more.

Hardcore off-roading I can have jeep - the war machine with no frills to do near by places and also use the fortuner to carry it back home if it refuses to leave the place where it belongs!

I am waiting for A/T fortuner, would be for my wife (do not ask how I convinced her), would also go and see manual version and if she approves after driving it then I am having it. Already given them 1 lac as booking amount.

Gurkha is anyways there to trouble the Jeeps - to pull Gurkha out everytime it gets stuck in muck!! Been stuck 5 times already!!
Old 13th August 2009, 12:43   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Gurkha is anyways there to trouble the Jeeps - to pull Gurkha out everytime it gets stuck in muck!! Been stuck 5 times already!!
that is such an irony. With that heavy body they've ruined the benefit of those mechanicals. My suggestion is throw that body out and suit a lightweight Jeep body onto the Gurkha mechanicals. You just might create India's most formidable offroader !!

Come to think of it we have some great talent in tinkermen who can create an entire Jeep body from sheet. Now if you gave them aluminium sheets and had a body made for your Gurkha, just imagine what you will create? She'll become dynamite offroad.

Oh and you need tyres with claws then no terrain can stop you

BTW if I get a soft top Gurkha and it still has a heavy body I intend going the aluminium route for it. One more project !

Last edited by DKG : 13th August 2009 at 12:46.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:18   #24
BHPian

^^ Dont you think that would be a compromise with safety?
Old 13th August 2009, 21:18   #25
BHPian

Folks,
I once owned a 2007 Fortuner & it was a Petrol 2.7L, A/T, with all other options except Alloys and ABS.

Attaching pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-fortuner.jpg  

Old 13th August 2009, 22:25   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Dont you think that would be a compromise with safety?
You can install a roll cage directly onto the chassis for roll over protection and have a harness off the roll bars to protect you, and have the entire body in aluminium. Landrovers took the route of aluminium bodies

If you don't want to do something as drastic as what I suggest you could perhaps have parts of the body like hood, tailgate, and doors made in lightweight fibreglass or alumium to save on weight.

Last edited by DKG : 13th August 2009 at 22:27.
Old 13th August 2009, 23:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You need a winch, badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Exactly, Fortuner can be used the trail runner or bad road vehicle like GV. To offroad like Jeeps means you have to be ready to major damage, it simply doesn't make sense with 25L vehicle.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Already given them 1 lac as booking amount.
Whats the on road price for fortuner?
Old 14th August 2009, 13:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
Whats the on road price for fortuner?
They would let me know only after 24th August. Though they have told me OTR price would be less than 20 L.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

In india offroading clubs are jeep/gypsy dominated. So terrains chosen for excursions are jeep friendly.
In Dubai, the terrains chosen are SUV friendly.
Every vehicle excels in a particular domain.
If you want to offroad for the sake of offroading, i,e finding a costruction site near your house and climbing the sand mounds or rock mounds its jeeps, but if you want to go on a 500km in the desert trip, then all the super offroaders like jeeps etc., do not stand a chance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks