Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 14:39   #31
BHPian

well said jaysmokesleaves!
Old 21st August 2009, 13:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have personally driven the Toyota Fortuner in the desert, fitted with a 4 litre Toyota Gasoline 1GRFE engine, churning out 239 bhp.

The Vehicle is capable of going everywhere without a hitch. Yes it can do our kind of OTRs, for that matter even the 4 in line version 2700cc petrol option can also do our OTRs.

But, it will develop scratches from elephant grass and bushes, bumpers will break quite often, the front bumpers are big and plastic. The spare wheel is mounted under the vehicle, it reduces the departure angle, usually we remove it and stow it inside the cargo hold.

Will anybody take a 20 lakh vehicle to this abuse. Well people in NIOC take BMW X5 through that abuse, the question is hihgly subjective.

WIll you attempt crossing the Ramganga river in a 20 Lakh vehicle ?

The vehicle can cross it without resonable doubt.

In my Cj3B I was not a bit concerned about scratches and damages, but now even in my spanking new paint Gypsy413W, there will be a concern of scratches through elephant grass and babul thorns on the gleaming paintwork and new hood.

Shahid

Last edited by desertfox : 21st August 2009 at 13:39.
Old 21st December 2009, 00:08   #33
BHPian

IMO if i would own a Fortuner i would like to take it out on Offroad sessions often.Having said that i would like to add that how hard offroading i can lead to personally depends on my call.For Eg-If a jeep is crossing a river i can rather go in from a shallow part of the bed,If the slope is steep i can take a detour.Its offroading so i will do it in my way (or smarter way) and stay with the trail as well.Atleast then i would be able to feel a proud owner of an SUV cause i have something to share with fellow BHPians.Moreover the best things is When you have 2-3 days left to send Your Fortuner for Servicing then how about going for a Offroading session just before that.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys just thought i'd add some pictures of the offroading session we guys went for at Mahape. This would give you a rough idea of what the Fortuner is capable off. I did not have to push her for anything. It was as though the terrain was just one bumpy road.
The interesting part is that where other cars did the terrains once the Fortuner was doing them twice. Once with me behind the wheel and the other with Tejas behind it so that i could take picstures.
My car is completly stock and you do get stuff for it. If you need help with that let me know. I had ordered stuff for the car and then had to cancel as i have decided to do up a car only for offroading.
So here you can see it your self.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-8.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00046201009260805.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00042201009260720.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00058201009260848.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00064201009260910.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00055201009260841.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00071201009260943-00000.jpg  

speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2010, 12:48   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Guys just thought i'd add some pictures of the offroading session we guys went for at Mahape.
The Fortuner's surprisingly competent off the road, by big SUV standards of course. Speedy, all you need is offroad tyres (you were running tarmacs right?) and be mindful of toppling.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Fortuner's surprisingly competent off the road, by big SUV standards of course.
I am not surprised, it has the same offroading hardware as GV, but twice the torque and diesel crawl ability.

Quote:
Speedy, all you need is offroad tyres (you were running tarmacs right?) and be mindful of toppling.
This one is a real danger. After watching many SUV toppling videos, and nearly toppling the Thar myself, I have come to the conclusion that most toppling happen because of the immense torque of these beasts. When you floor the A-pedal, the Jeep/Gypsies would stall before crossing the point of tipping. But the modern torque machines would respond instantly without stalling and will let you cross the point of tipping very easily. One has to be very careful driving these very powerful SUVs in offroad condition. The heavy hardtop also contributes to higher CG.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fortuner's surprisingly competent off the road, by big SUV standards of course. Speedy, all you need is offroad tyres (you were running tarmacs right?) and be mindful of toppling.
Yes i was running in stock condition and this was primarily to show others and myself what the car is capable off. I had ordered in offroad suspension with a 2" lift, front bumpers, winch and a snorkal, but then cancelled it as i decided on dedicating a car only for offroading purposes. We did take the car onto all sorts of angles but there never once was the feeling that she would tip over. A gypsy did manage to tip to a side and we were winching her back on all fours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am not surprised, it has the same offroading hardware as GV, but twice the torque and diesel crawl ability.

This one is a real danger. After watching many SUV toppling videos, and nearly toppling the Thar myself, I have come to the conclusion that most toppling happen because of the immense torque of these beasts. When you floor the A-pedal, the Jeep/Gypsies would stall before crossing the point of tipping. But the modern torque machines would respond instantly without stalling and will let you cross the point of tipping very easily. One has to be very careful driving these very powerful SUVs in offroad condition. The heavy hardtop also contributes to higher CG.
I feel the topling would only come in human error and not mechanical. What i mean is the car is only going to pump out as much as u have squeezed the throttle. I am not a pro but a novice and this was my second otr with the car and i never felt left behind or that there was something that i had to avoid. Yes the tyres and the floor board did let me down at some places but the car was all up for it. If you have the pedal constantly floored she will leash out a power stream some might not be able to control, putting her in low does help. Tejas did the downhill standing on the floor board of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-img00060201009260848.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 27th October 2010 at 12:10.
Old 28th October 2010, 09:38   #38
BHPian

I am also eagerly waiting for the AT fortuner. Having driven an AT fortuner in Thailand, I have come to love the convenience of the AT box and the fortuner is not bad at all in the KMPL department even with the AT. It should not be difficult for Toyota to start adding the AT box in the current lineup. I guess they are making the most of the sales of the MT at this time but when the advance orders dry up and the competition brings in cars like the lowered price freelander, the new Pajero sport (L200) or even the Santa Fe, hopefully Toyota will see the light and bring in the AT (as they did with the corolla). I am quite sure that this is part of their long term vision anyway, just the wait is unbearable.

Expect the AT to be priced at least 1.5 to 2 lakhs above the current MT model.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?

What the Fortuner needs is some bumpers like these. Any idea if they are available in India or can companies like Prad 4x4 and Metal Works can fabricate them.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-arctictruckstoyotafortuner33smafefe4x4africanivoryroute1of7.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-arctictruckstoyotafortuner33smafefe4x4africanivoryroute3of7.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-fort-2.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-fort-3.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-images-1.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-images.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner for our Desi OTRs- how good or bad?-original1.2116188.1.jpg  

Old 17th May 2017, 10:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What the Fortuner needs is some bumpers like these. Any idea if they are available in India or can companies like Prad 4x4 and Metal Works can fabricate them.
They can easily be fabricated in India. Problem is that the there is no assurance if the airbag sensors will work as they are supposed to work. better is to get Ironman or similar as they are designed accordingly. Have a look at Ace F355's Ironman Fortuner here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...oad-meets.html
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 17:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Problem is that the there is no assurance if the airbag sensors will work as they are supposed to work.
Damn, I totally missed out on taking this into consideration. Thanks for pointing it out. Probably I'm still not used to the idea of something other than a Mahindra or a Gypsy being used as an off-road vehicle.

Quote:
better is to get Ironman or similar as they are designed accordingly.
That I gues should not be too difficult to source as Ironman products are available in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks