Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 21:02   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: 1990 M&M CJ340

Thx Spikey- have you heard of compo (compco?), the riveting guy was suggesting i settle for that (350rs liner + riveting), but thankfully he had only the 2nd oversize and it would not fit in my current drum. So traveled a bit ahead and got the liners (not pads) and finished everything @ 300rs. Would remember to ask for KBX/BIL in future.

I noticed the name 'TVS Girling' on the carrier plate (assuming the drum is also the same brand), doesnt TVS make the liners too?
Old 17th July 2011, 21:27   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Thx Spikey- have you heard of compo (compco?),
I noticed the name 'TVS Girling' on the carrier plate (assuming the drum is also the same brand), doesnt TVS make the liners too?
Never heard of compco. Please avoid.

Remember, KBX ~ Bosch, TVS Girling ~ BIL. For modern vehicles these days, generally all components are from one make only (either KBX or BIL), spare parts are not inter-mixed during service.

Spike
Old 17th July 2011, 21:36   #378
Senior - BHPian

Nice alloys, how far the alloys are worth in off road is the question bugging me hope you can clarify my doubt. Your roll bar is quite interesting I am wondering you have mounted the anti roll bar on the end of the fender is it strong enough to withstand or did you give any support from chassis also? how is the rear bar fixed I guess its connected or supported in the middle, I guess the seats are from Maruti but are they comfortable enough. Here in Hyderabad we get nice imported seats for jeeps and I got a pair as a steal deal, stored for my future project

Please don't mind me pointing out your work out of inquisitiveness the questions raised.
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-sv-santosh.jpg  

Old 18th July 2011, 19:25   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Nice alloys, how far the alloys are worth in off road ...

Your roll bar is quite interesting I am wondering you have mounted the anti roll bar on the end of the fender is it strong enough to withstand or did you give any support from chassis also?

how is the rear bar fixed I guess its connected or supported in the middle,

I guess the seats are from Maruti but are they comfortable enough.

Here in Hyderabad we get nice imported seats for jeeps and I got a pair as a steal deal, stored for my future project

Please don't mind me pointing out your work out of inquisitiveness the questions raised.
Hi Chanu,

1) Alloys make no diff for off road, (well, not going into the specifics/ benefits of lower weight of alloys on un-sprung weight on axles, etc etc), i got it to (a) replace my rusting rims (b) avoid future rust on steel discs (c) bling factor

2) Read a page 23 and 24 of this thread for roll cage design and some pics from the top view.

3) page 24

4) Got them cheap, so picked them up, not very good on comfort, but this is not my daily driver so dont care about a weekend drive comfort.

5) which car's, pics and price plz?

6) Be my guest, glad you mentioned 'your work', last 2.5 months has seen me spend a lot my personal time and effort getting hands dirty and greased up.

Thinking about it, in this rebuild I have (Either/And) personally visited, sourced, supervised, managed, be-friend-ed, shared (with quite a few) tea and samosa (lunch and tiffen too) with the following vendors/shops/sellers/people.

1) Metal Scrap vendors (2 shops) - for roll cage base plate and a (stalled) tail gate project
2) Pipe bender (JC Road)
3) Paint shops (1 where my painter got materials, 2nd where I went to get material for roll cage paint job)
4) Industrial Hardware store (cutting & grinding & hacksaw blades, misc)
5) Tinker and painter (the worst link in this project was painter)
6) Fastener shops (for proper branded bolts and nuts)
7) Bearing dealers (do you know how many brands exist in India!!)
8) JC Road for exclusive old jeep parts (New One Automobiles, 1st cross, expensive but get-all shop)
9) Lathe (for odd drilling jobs for winch mounting)
10) Welder shop (Initially contracted for MIG welding, but ended up with a complete Arc welding)
11) Steel Dealer (For MS Pipes, flat and angles)
12) Vehicle Scrap Dealer - for maruti seats
13) Mechanic - my trusted guy for everything
14) Electrician - removal refitting of wiring, alt/starter Overhauls
15) Oil/Lubricant Stockist - learnt how to save on bulk oil purchases
16) Sticker cutting guy (for regn plate)
17) Chinese/non-std brand tyre dealers Off-JC-Road (got Accelera 235/75/R15 AT tyres for 4K each..!!)
18) Alloyz stockist in JC road
19) Battery Dealer
20) Upholstery/Soft-top guy in bangy and hosur
21) Winch seller in delhi
22) Trucker in Delhi and Bangy

I am sure I am missing 1 or 2, and few more will come up in future...

Last edited by svsantosh : 18th July 2011 at 19:40.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 19:55   #380
Senior - BHPian

Thanks santosh for the clarification, I have brought these imported TOYOTA seats for 4000/- and they are in good shape, condition and comfortable as well. There are few expensive seats which can go up to 7000/- which are very good looking for JEEP I will post those pictures this week sometime.

Oh! you have a JEEP community with you now I guess you can manufacture a JEEP from chassis stage , In case you any help in regards to JEEP let me know I have got skilled people with me.
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-p100711_16.00_01.jpg  

Old 21st July 2011, 12:06   #381
Senior - BHPian

Current looks, still WIP is a tool box for rear, soft top and seat covers.

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0093.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0094.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0095.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0097.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0098.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0100.jpg
Old 21st July 2011, 12:16   #382
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh,
Your jeep has come out really well....specially color.Can you please disclose more details of Winch (make,price, shop, warranty etc)
One suggestion though.....try to opt for Mahindra Classic type Hood, it will compliment looks.

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh
Old 21st July 2011, 12:43   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Can you please disclose more details of Winch (make,price, shop, warranty etc)
Winch Details:

It is a Chinese made winch, so try at you OWN RISK, it costs 1/3 so performance also should be relatively LOW compared to a Warn/Ramsey!!

RUNVA - 4x4 Winches 10000lbs-EWG10000U manufacturers, 4x4 Winches 10000lbs-EWG10000U exporters, 4x4 Winches 10000lbs-EWG10000U suppliers, China 4x4 Winches 10000lbs-EWG10000U factory, offer OEM service

Cost - 22,500Rs
Warranty - NONE

Place - Tau'ji's shop, Mayapuri Jeep/Scrap Market, New Delhi
Tau's Mobile - 91-98993-37000

Had a friend who was visiting mayapuri buy it for me, Tau will help/guide to a trucker nearby who can send it across india, but be patient, mine took nearly 3 weeks.

He also has many other capacity winches, heard decent reviews from existing owners, only grouse is winch cannot be used for more than 3~ minutes continuous load, needs a break. This is where warn tyres make a BIG difference, they hardly overheat and need a cool-off period.

I tested it just once, it works and pulls, need a proper OTR scenario to out it to real test ASAP.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:15   #384
BANNED

^^^ if you want to put lesser load on the winch then use snatch blocks ( Pullies -- quick open & fit ) with it . it will take some more time for certain recovery but the motor & its GB will be at ease .

Sudarshan
Old 21st July 2011, 16:36   #385
BHPian

Hi Santosh,
Jeep's new look is great. 2 questions buddy: I liked the idea of placing the spare wheel on the wheel arches but is it secure enough or is it WIP? Also how will you secure things without a tailgate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
^^^ if you want to put lesser load on the winch then use snatch blocks ( Pullies -- quick open & fit ) with it . it will take some more time for certain recovery but the motor & its GB will be at ease .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan Sir,
Sorry for the noob question. What is snatch block? Can you Please post a pic? How to use it?

Last edited by madhkris : 21st July 2011 at 16:37. Reason: Added a question
Old 21st July 2011, 19:41   #386
Senior - BHPian

Sudharshan - thx, trying desperate to get a good one, rated @ around 8~ tons. Worst case I have to lathe one with a good pulley wheel and a strong bush, what say?!

Doc - spare wheel is permanent as of now, I dont think the arch will buckle with the weight of the wheel. What is there for the tail gate to secure all inside bolted down trunks - need to find a strong replacement for the stupid green box, it already showing age!!

You would remember this pic??

1990 M&M Cj340-snatchblock.jpg

ARB makes one for $80!! (~4000 Rs)

EDIT----------

Mohan, Madhu - Did we Not see this some where in bangy?

1990 M&M Cj340-snatchblock11.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 21st July 2011 at 19:54.
Old 21st July 2011, 20:19   #387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Sudarshan Sir,
Sorry for the noob question. What is snatch block? Can you Please post a pic? How to use it?
hello Doc. thanks for calling me Sir ( its a feel good factor sometimes ) , anyways consider me as a noob too because there is a lot remains to learn .
Now back to point --- check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...inch-test.html check my posts # 49 onwards specially

But I will suggest anyone to use good bushings in those custom pulleys ,I have used bearings but its a gamble & yet to be tested thoroughly ( also Sutriptada has raised doubts about use of bearings & I feel he is right in some way )

Now Santosh has already put pictures regarding your query

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

You would remember this pic??
not exactly but you seem to have got my point , also go to Warn website find a winch using guide ( or something like that ) its very useful. Check the above link also . a winch is a costly affair

Sudarshan
Old 21st July 2011, 20:22   #388
Senior - BHPian

^ Sudharshan, I was trying to remind doc of the pic, I had shared it with him sometime ago when we were jeep shopping...

Anyways - found a good example for how to use a snatch block for self-recovery. (BAD example on standing next to it )

Old 23rd July 2011, 16:43   #389
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a crazy bad *** superb recee/OTR off a quarry/forest range near home. Lost the last 2 foot of silencer pipe to nature!! Also lost a tyre due to a 2inch side wall crack.

Reason I am writing is to gladly share - the Chinese winch happily pulled out a ~2Ton Isuzu Trooper SWB, winching was less than 20seconds, but it worked perfectly
Old 11th August 2011, 19:47   #390
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2456779

Raghavendra Kadam, our in house Beetle maniac, gave me a nice idea to dampen the engine noise thru the fire wall. This sheet comes in a looong roll with a std width of 3 feet. Costs approx 110Rs for a 3ftx3ft (1sqm~). It is easily available in all hardware (specially the one that sells ASBESTOS roof sheets), this bitumen sheet is used to water proof the joints and effective in noise reduction too.

My future idea (thx to beetle guy^) of using this is:

1) Buy a 500Ml of 3M anti-corrosion liquid, looks like black paint, but needs higher Psi spray gun (60+Psi), spray it (UN-Diluted with any thinner) 'over' the entire floor of the jeep. (Slightly emery-rub the metal 1st) -- Cost 274Rs MRP for half liter, more than required for a jeeps interior, spray wheel wells if leftover!

2) Let the jeep bake in sun until 3M paint dries adequately.

3) Peel the (sticker) bottom of the bitumen sheet and plaster accordingly.

4) Let the top sticker remain (with the BIG font BITU TECH Ind).

5) Use any other rubber mats over this for added insulation.

Remember to have adequate drain holes 1st!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th August 2011 at 19:48.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed