Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 10:44   #106
Senior - BHPian

Do all jeeps have front inner side grease nipple? I mean even MM540? I remember greasing rear, but front i will check.

See this is how you learn!:-))

Also experts can you comment why transfer case had water and not gear box? I think breather pipes for both are located at the same level. Correct me if iam wrong.

p.s Iam happy you took water fording so seriously and got every thing done proactively.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 4th January 2010 at 10:46.
Old 4th January 2010, 13:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Do all jeeps have front inner side grease nipple? I mean even MM540? I remember greasing rear, but front i will check.
The CJ340 has inner side grease nipple on the front.
Old 4th January 2010, 22:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The CJ340 has inner side grease nipple on the front.
Actually, all Jeeps have 12 shackle nipples. If you see the CJ3B greasing tip picture, the inner 4 shackles are highlighted.

Quote:
p.s Iam happy you took water fording so seriously and got every thing done proactively.
thx, I will take it as a compliment. I badly wanted to find a competent mechanic in my town, I somehow still get a feeling that none in bangy are 100% good. Gurus say in Bangy that with trail and error you will get a sincere and competent one, I cant experiment so much. End result, I am happy I found Babu and his boyz...
Old 10th January 2010, 20:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Since the past few months I have been facing a situation. There is a "THUD" noise with a "BASS" effect coming from the rear of the Jeep.

It arises when...
1) When I am downshifting from 4-3, 3-2 at slightly higher RPMs.
2) When I am starting the Jeep from StandStill @ signals, etc.
3) The "Dhummm"!! noise is very rare and it comes only in the above situations. I have still not visited my mech to get it sorted.

What do you suggest it may be? It is very clearly somewhere near the rear diff/axle assy.

While running, the Jeep is perfectly fine, only when the Speed changes with momentum it shows up.

PS - This existed BEFORE the water fording and continues till now...
Old 11th January 2010, 12:37   #110
Team-BHP Support

Check you rear shackles and see whether they have free movement. May be a worn out shackle bush.
Old 11th January 2010, 20:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Since the past few months I have been facing a situation. There is a "THUD" noise with a "BASS" effect coming from the rear of the Jeep.

It arises when...
1) When I am downshifting from 4-3, 3-2 at slightly higher RPMs.
2) When I am starting the Jeep from StandStill @ signals, etc.
3) The "Dhummm"!! noise is very rare and it comes only in the above situations. I have still not visited my mech to get it sorted.
When does the hum come: under power or when coasting in gear. What happens when you cycle power ie power and coast?

Sutripta
Old 30th January 2010, 19:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I had to run a 50Km errand along with wife. I noticed a very NEW VIBRATION noise right under my feet, I checked for all possible loose metal but couldnt figure it out. Even declutching - clutching did not ease it out... I did not get a Silent place in the highway to trouble shoot.

So came back home late afternoon, its in a very silent locality. Parked the jeep on a flat surface, let the engine running and with a few rocks for wheel blocks, went under the jeep on all 4's. Ear picked the noise from the gearbox cross member. To my saw the member's 2 bolts were loose on side, and the other side 2 were so loose that I could tighten them by hand and the vibration went away.

Immediately went to the neighbourhood mechanic and since it was a simple job, risked him. Also asked him to check the U-Clamps and steering box and other imp bolts...

He charged me 100rs for tightening 8-10 bolts. Hosur would have been so much more cheaper!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Check you rear shackles and see whether they have free movement. May be a worn out shackle bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
When does the hum come: under power or when coasting in gear. What happens when you cycle power ie power and coast?
Also took him around for a 2Km TD for the above Bang/Thud noise...

He immediately pointed out to the rear diff pinion-backlash. It made sense. The noise was in-out while clutching-accelerating-stopping. He quoted 600Rs for removing the rear axles, diff housing, adjusting the pinion and putting all back together. I am gonna wait until next few weeks (busy), and if my Hosur mech (whom I trust) comes up with a diff story or not - I will get it done there...

Meanwhile - Can I drive around in CITY (traffic) with pinion-backlash - OR stop ASAP.
Old 6th February 2010, 20:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He immediately pointed out to the rear diff pinion-backlash. It made sense. The noise was in-out while clutching-accelerating-stopping. He quoted 600Rs for removing the rear axles, diff housing, adjusting the pinion and putting all back together. I am gonna wait until next few weeks (busy), and if my Hosur mech (whom I trust) comes up with a diff story or not - I will get it done there...

Meanwhile - Can I drive around in CITY (traffic) with pinion-backlash - OR stop ASAP.
Hi,
I know others will come down on me like a ton of bricks, we we used to just ignore the backlash.

"Removing" backlash (tail crown freeplay) is one thing. Maintaining proper contact patches is something else again, and in my experience, most mechs don't know anything about it.

If you plan to do it, take a day off work, and arm yourself with some engineers blue!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th April 2010, 23:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Just bumping my old thread. Got rid of the fully corroded roll cage, or what ever it was. It was so flimsy, that I could break the welding joints by hand. Time for a new and much stronger roll cage, am thinking on the lines of a exterior roll cage which will look different and may be much rigid also. Lets see, till then its the open 'Lorry' look.

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc08230.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc08231.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc08232.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc08234.jpg
Old 12th April 2010, 09:41   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time for a new and much stronger roll cage, am thinking on the lines of a exterior roll cage which will look different and may be much rigid also.

Maybe something on these lines???

I have been thinking of something similar for my CJ3B.

1990 M&M Cj340-cj3b-rollcage-20735_247065326804_520546804_3693327_926150_n.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-cj3b-rollcage-20735_247065351804_520546804_3693330_6721065_n.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-cj3b-rollcage-20735_247054651804_520546804_3693158_5308972_n.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-cj3b-rollcage-20735_247065301804_520546804_3693324_1972728_n.jpg
Old 30th April 2010, 21:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

some updates on a few things done...

1) FIP and 4 injectors serviced at Bosch authorized service center : 2000Rs bill

This was done at mechanic's suspicion of water inside FIP. Was true, also, to address excess black smoke and low FE. I will give a detailed report post a few hundred KMS, initial observation is very low smoke achieved.

2) Engine oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter cleanup, valve adjustment and tuning, new rubber tube for nozzles - all done. Total material bill was 1200Rs. Labour for above tasks, including FIP/Nozzle removal-refitting-tuning - was 500Rs. I tipped the mech boy who single handed my jeep 150Rs.

Breakup:
Purolator Oil filter - 130
Puro Diesel Filter (2) - 140
Diesel Pipe Kit - 40
Cotton Waste - 10
Servo Engine oil 15W40 5Litre can - 820
1 Bulb - 35
Super Glue - 5
Araldite - 20

Out of bill expenses are -
1Ltr Kerosene - 50Rs
1 FIP Packing paper - 10Rs
250Ml loose oil for air filter - 30Rs

I got 2 used AutoPal 3" clearlens focus lights for 100Rs a Pair. Gladly bought them from the garage's electrician.

-------------------------Ps-----------------
While I was at the garage the whole day, noticed the shops' electrician attend to 2 or 3 sumo's/jeeps for starter motor problems. I saw how quick he dismantles a starter motor, changes the bendix and puts it back together - all under 30Mins.

He charges 200Rs labor for a starter motor overhaul and 150Rs labor for a alternator overhaul. I found it very affordable.
-------------------------------------------

Last edited by svsantosh : 30th April 2010 at 21:17.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
some updates on a few things done...

1) FIP and 4 injectors serviced at Bosch authorized service center : 2000Rs bill

This was done at mechanic's suspicion of water inside FIP. Was true, also, to address excess black smoke and low FE. I will give a detailed report post a few hundred KMS, initial observation is very low smoke achieved.

2) Engine oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter cleanup, valve adjustment and tuning, new rubber tube for nozzles - all done. Total material bill was 1200Rs. Labour for above tasks, including FIP/Nozzle removal-refitting-tuning - was 500Rs. I tipped the mech boy who single handed my jeep 150Rs.

Breakup:
Purolator Oil filter - 130
Puro Diesel Filter (2) - 140
Diesel Pipe Kit - 40
Cotton Waste - 10
Servo Engine oil 15W40 5Litre can - 820
1 Bulb - 35
Super Glue - 5
Araldite - 20

Out of bill expenses are -
1Ltr Kerosene - 50Rs
1 FIP Packing paper - 10Rs
250Ml loose oil for air filter - 30Rs

I got 2 used AutoPal 3" clearlens focus lights for 100Rs a Pair. Gladly bought them from the garage's electrician.

-------------------------Ps-----------------
While I was at the garage the whole day, noticed the shops' electrician attend to 2 or 3 sumo's/jeeps for starter motor problems. I saw how quick he dismantles a starter motor, changes the bendix and puts it back together - all under 30Mins.

He charges 200Rs labor for a starter motor overhaul and 150Rs labor for a alternator overhaul. I found it very affordable.
-------------------------------------------
Good going Santhosh. I'm happy for you
Old 30th April 2010, 22:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Good going Santhosh. I'm happy for you
Anna - remember the 4th nozzle leaking... it still is leaking. I need to go to mech again tomm and get 2 more packets of fevikwik
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:56   #119
BHPian

Hi Santosh,

Which mechanic did you go to initially, while in Chennai? I am from Mogappair and I felt you must have visited somebody very close to my home. Now that I am getting stung by the JEEP thing, seriously considering getting myself one.

I was on a trip to Bangalore this weekend and had an opportunity to drive IRONWOLF's MM540. It FELT GOOD.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Juggad...!!!

Quote:
Anna - remember the 4th nozzle leaking... it still is leaking. I need to go to mech again tomm and get 2 more packets of fevikwik
This time he didnt use any glue!! He took a few inches from a (clean) cotton waste, rolled it into a washer kinda thing - kept it between the steel pipe and the nozzle head and tightened it. It worked!! His verdict is; the nozzle body needs to be changed.

--------Post FIP Overhaul--------

Very little smoke, pickup is slightly less. I get that feeling because, earlier it was set high and caused lot of black smoke. FE looks Ok, didnt check it yet, but looks like it is back to 10-11 range, which is better.
------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
Which mechanic did you go to initially, while in Chennai?

Bharani in Mandaveli

I am from Mogappair and I felt you must have visited somebody very close to my home. ...

Alacrity Apt's, are you near it?

It FELT GOOD

You bet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks