Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 22:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

1990 M&M Cj340

1990 M&M CJ340

THE Eight:

8 is the number of material success or failure depending on what side of the vibration you are living on. 8 is a strong number, with the will, focus and drive to achieve its goals. 8 can be a great number, and is often misunderstood by others less powerful than it. The effect of 8 depends on what side of the vibration you are living on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night before:

The night of 7th aug 2009 was pretty tense. Post work, I rushed to pack a backpack for a day. Many thoughts were running thru my mind. Wifey's talk never even reached my ear, let alone go through it... A quick goodbye and off I went to the bus station. Hectic calls to 'THE Explorer' and the owner... All 3 spoke till 1130 in the night to plan for the next day. The coach pulled in at 1145. I stepped in only to feel as if my remains were laid inside a hearse, temp was freezing at probably 10-12 degrees. Very bad (cold) night in the bus coupled with many passing thoughts of the next day. What if, why - who? - how?? - Should I ??

The Morning:

6:00 welcomes me to the capital of my state, have a cuppa @ 4Rs (I love India), decide to see the city as a daily commuter. Chucked the Rickshaw & Get to know 70-D takes me 4Km close to what was in my dreams the earlier night. 6Rs and nearly 10Km later I get down in the place where my Dad started his career 35 years ago on the outskirts of Chennai. Ambattur industrial estate was a 'neighbouring' village back then, now it is pretty much just a stone's throw away from the hustling metro. A quick call to dad to say my whereabouts gives him a nostalgic feeling while i decide to walk the last 2-3 kms.

Eventually I get lost and take a Ric for 20Rs and bang into the apartment block where I meet Anand. A proud 'week old DAD, I wish him 1st off and thank him for accomodating me in his hectic schedule with the new one in just a week back. A hour later I get freshed up and after a coffee from his dad, and breakfast by his mum, we take off in his Bolero to a nearby colony
where his NEW Villa is coming up. Later I FEEL both the baby and the villa needed this M&M's baby to change hands.

The M&M CJ 340:

1st Look, It was pure magic. I have never touched a SWB all my life, probably only seen 2 or 3 SWB all my life. I distinctly remember seeing only 1 classic all my life. WOW, what a creation - a SWB was.

1990 M&M Cj340-cj-340.jpg

Next 15 minutes - My 1 year of TBHP kicks in, Cold engine - Radiator cap comes off and check water, No oil signs - So far good. Next thing - Radiator was clearly BAD, the wrong one, no cowl, LOTS of leaks beneath every major component in the 340. Diff's, xfer case, gear box! 1st fuel nozzle was funny, the un-used excess fuel overflow pipe was closed with a bamboo stem. Diesel was all over that part of the engine. Valve door had huge engine oil leaks all over it. High Oil pressure for sure. But why? Watched the silencer for blue/white smoke on the 1st crank - Nothing. high revs led to bit of soot thrown out, but nothing else.

Quick spin:

I had a quick 50-100 meter spin, well it drives. Since the villa was coming up, there was a sand mound nearby. I took off onto it, got stuck ROYALLY. Again a 1st time in life, I flicked the 4H (WOW, was smooth), and we came out the other side. felt good. Forgot to check the 4L (wasnt working, as 'THE EXPLORER' found out later).

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01695.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-copy-dsc01702.jpg

I let Anand take the jeep and asked him to spin it GOOD on the highway, and bit of in town roads. I noticed temp never went beyond 80'C, but Oil was constant at 4.5 - 5.5. I learnt later that Excess oil in Sump may be a cause coupled with bad cooling system. The Explorer also indicated that oil in the breather pipe may be Oil being recombusted and the oil burner may indeed be burning oil due to weak rings - But later the point was dropped and looks like engine is great --- as of now...!!

On the way back to Explorer's home a SCREEEEEECHING NOISE came up and diagnosed to Clutch Release Bearing gone KAPUT..!!

Deal........ :

The Explorer helped me and Anand in striking a deal and we all 3 walked away happily after a photo session. Well me and the Explorer drove away to be correct...

1990 M&M Cj340-rc.jpg

Verdict and Repairs needed:

Radiator to be changed to 4 core
Engine mounting to be changed
Clutch assy with Release Bearing to be changed
Recambering of 4 leafs may be needed
May change Shackle kit
1 fuel nozzle body to be changed
All oil seals to be changed
Oils to be changed

- NO - Electrical work for now, just remove all the odd extra lights.
- NO - Painting & tinkering for now.

Current Status:

After a hectic drive across the city of Chennai, reached Explorer's home. He will help me on the Jeep at his trusted garage and hopefully I will have it in 2 weeks time.

Thanks to... :

Without the help of the following (non-exhaustive) list - the above wouldnt have been possible...

Sreerajunnithan - for giving details about your 550 back in 11/08
MM440 - Jammy, thanks for accomodating me in your home and talking to me about the blue one. Sorry I was on a tight budget.
Whitemm550 - for giving me inputs on your jeep back in 11/08
Akeel - Buddy, yours 540 was the 1st true M&M I ever drove, what a evening in electronic city (12/08)... thanks buddy
harjeev - For your offer to help in getting one from mayapuri and also your thread.
randeep - for discussing your jeep with me back in 12/08
ex670c - Arka, for talking to me for half a hour and giving me very valuable inputs regd a jeep
star_aqua - Vijay, buddy, The last month with you changed my mind into overdrive mode, the CJ500 was Superb...
Sabareesh - for discussing your CJ500 in detail with me
vj_k2001 - for discussing your jeep with me

Samurai & Dhabhar Behram - Just your conversations on the 'How to..' thread and reading it for over a year again and again was a eye opener. Actually I took many ex-cerpts from your thread while travelling to Chennai and it helped me pin point many anomalies before Trammway nailed every bit of it...!

Sivakumar - THE EXPLORER - TRAMMWAY
I owe you a lot, just the thought of you coming over to see someone you never know and doing what you did humbled me. I owe it to the spirit of you and all the other automobile enthusiasts who go beyond everything to help someone join their fraternity... Kudos to the spirit. Thanks for accomodating me in your home and letting me book my return bus ticket on your Dell & dropping me off at my friends place in your car. PS - your kids, Wow, very very cute bunch...

PS PS - this day was Trammway's EXPLORER 1st drive with the new heart, great Jeep and super engine. Now I (nearly) know how GTO's jeep drives albeit the AC.

FINALLY -

For TEAM-BHP and The Creator + MOD team behind it for giving nearly 52000+ people many such oppurtunities to learn and pursue their dreams.

Last edited by svsantosh : 9th August 2009 at 22:39.
Old 9th August 2009, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some more Pics

some more random pics...
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01724.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01705.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01707.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01699.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01711.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01722.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01715.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01706.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01720.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01723.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

More Pics

Some more pics and problem area's identified. Please point out if you notice more.
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01712.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01718.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01704.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01719.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01721.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01713.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01716.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01717.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01710.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01709.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 22:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santhosh,

You are most welcome.. What I'm doing to you is what I owed from seniors like UBS. I'm just follower nothing new here buddy.

Anyway just an update, I took the jeep to garage today and as you rightly stated, all the stated works will be done at a bit slow mode. I have asked the mechy to buy the stuffs that required to be changed tomorrow, so he can do one after one.

I must say this here, the engine is too good and noiseless being lived with XDP engine, I know this little more and your engine is fantastic. With the older differntial ratio the jeep turns really good crawler.

In addition to what you have listed for the todo, I'm adding bit of work in the exhaust pipe as it completely leaking with extra sound and smoke inside the body tub (torn gear lever boot vouched for it)

Re-campering will be done along with new shackle kit change. I will updade you as and when there is an progress.

We are taking off the jeep for offroad during the last weekend or previous weekend of August.

My petrol Jeep Navigator, The Explorer, Shibu's MM550 and your CJ340 are all getting done by the same trustable mechanic and I visit him daily so no worries dude.

PS: The oil stain shown on the spring leaf is actually diesel that spills out from 1st cylinder nossle. Don't worry about it, it will be fixed.

1. Four core radiator
2. Clutch release bearing
3. Radiator cowl
4. Top gear oil seal
5. tail light assy

are the items that are getting into the list of items purchased tomorrow.

Happy Jeeping!

Last edited by trammway : 9th August 2009 at 23:01.
Old 9th August 2009, 22:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Final Pic

The icing on the cake.

Q: Who says "There is only one way of doing things, and its the RIGHT WAY"

This Pic was of a construction site not far from the apartment backyard, zoomed in to show what happens if "ANYTHING" is done the "Wrong" way.

PS
Ans to Above Q: Mr.Behram
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-what-wrong-here.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 22:58   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Seems like a "soon to be a very good JEEP" on the buy.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Congrats Santhosh!!! Once the mechanical work is over, the fist thing you would want to do is, restore her to original 340 looks. This square headlight and grill looks puny. not a big deal, you can source all of those parts from used market. Hope Siva will help you out on this.

Happy Jeeping and hope to see you around OTRs in Bangalore...

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 10th August 2009, 18:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Santosh!

Two things stumped me about the Jeep, those square lights and the doors.

Sreeraj, Those lights are very much original, some of the earliest CJ340s made for export purpose had those lights. Better to keep it, makes it unique.

But doors are new to me. Are they sturdy, any rattles, wish I could fabricate something like that. The RC book entries on wheelbase and HP are way off.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th August 2009 at 18:17.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats Santosh!

Two things stumped me about the Jeep, those square lights and the doors.

Sreeraj, Those lights are very much original, some of the earliest CJ340s made for export purpose had those lights. Better to keep it, makes it unique.

But doors are new to me. Are they sturdy, any rattles, wish I could fabricate something like that. The RC book entries on wheelbase and HP are way off.
I agree, I have seen some CJ 340 with the same light and grill. I guess this was available only in green and black colour options.

I am not sure on the intake on the bonnet though.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:23   #10
BHPian

Hey Congrats Santosh!! Keep the front grill as it is. it looks unique but get rid of that scoop on the bonnet!
I would suggest you to get the vehicle in running condition and use it as it is now for a while. experience it with the current state and then decide upon what you need/what you feel lacking in it.
Old 10th August 2009, 21:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Congrats Santhosh!!! Once the mechanical work is over, the fist thing you would want to do is, restore her to original 340 looks. This square headlight and grill looks puny. not a big deal, you can source all of those parts from used market. Hope Siva will help you out on this
yep,already discussed with Siva, watch out for more. May retain the uniqueness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

> Hehe - no Sharath, its a very nicely fabricated Grill from previous owners over the years... see attachment. BUT - I may be wrong, Behram Ji to the rescue please.

1990 M&M Cj340-bahiaredsoft.jpg

>> Doors rock, no rattles whatsoever. I will post some more detail pics on the door in a few weeks time. Mind you - it does REDUCE the ingress space! So dont mind a few rough 'scratch on the bum' moments..!! I had a few already!

>>> RC Book makes the RTO look like a joke, but who cares.

>>>> The Grill Will Remain. Unique Yes. And it has 2 Maruti 800 Sealed Beam in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I agree, I have seen some CJ 340 with the same light and grill. I guess this was available only in green and black colour options.

I am not sure on the intake on the bonnet though.
Beejay Anna
CLUE - This is a TN43 Jeep
Want to know which estate had this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Hey Congrats Santosh!! Keep the front grill as it is. it looks unique but get rid of that scoop on the bonnet!
I would suggest you to get the vehicle in running condition and use it as it is now for a while. experience it with the current state and then decide upon what you need/what you feel lacking in it.
Vijay Annavare
> Grill yes, Looks unique. I will remove a few rusts and repaint it later.
>> Yep - Only have funds for working condition work now
>>> Scoop has to go, but means more spend on the bonnet - keep watching - the Explorer has some nice ideas.
>>>> I will get the jeep in 2-3 weeks and I will call you and show it to you.

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th August 2009 at 21:06.
Old 10th August 2009, 21:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm I know the origin of the grill in Santhosh's CJ340. May be it was an idea from 1987 TJ Wrangler. Here is a pic, see the small parking lights under headlight and the grill pattern

1990 M&M Cj340-5372_101117689900449_100000066541329_34957_2575768_n.jpg

This grill makes Santhosh Jeep an unique piece and I would strongly recommend him to never remove it.

Last edited by trammway : 10th August 2009 at 21:52.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Beejay Anna
CLUE - This is a TN43 Jeep
Want to know which estate had this?

So this is exactly the 340 that I had seen with square lamps, the grille was fabricated for sure. I was wondering too why this looks so familiar to me.

If the last owner is a person called Mr. Samuel, please call me. Siva has my number. I would like to share something with you.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
> Hehe - no Sharath, its a very nicely fabricated Grill from previous owners over the years... see attachment. BUT - I may be wrong, Behram Ji to the rescue please.
Santosh, I was talking about the square lights, don't know about the grill. The new picture you posted says Bahia, that was the Italian company that sold CJ340 in Italy with fiber dash and fiber hardtop. Eventually that dashboard came to be on the Classic.
Old 11th August 2009, 05:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Santosh on finnding this SWB!!! I was talking to Siva yesterday and cam to know that you bought this 340!!!

A little work and you'll have it up and running in no time!!!
Also please share the cost part like how much did you pay for it, cost of expenses for repairs etc as it helps others learn from our experiences!!!

Best of luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks