Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 16:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Holy god.!!! how did I miss this thread?? CONGRATS.!!! svasantosh. welcome to the 4x4 club. A nice and unique jeep you have got for yourself -- can't comment more as I am no jeep expert :-)

So we should now see you in the local OTR's here :-)

Congrats again.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a Lot Khan Sir, Vijay (*Aqua) helped me to make up my mind and Siva (Trammway) is helping me with details you see on this thread. I made a visit to Chennai yesterday and the Jeep is coming up good. Still a long way to go and eagerly looking forward to Blore OTR weekends.

pics today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
can't comment more as I am no jeep expert :-)
Yeah right, and I am Clint Eastwood
Old 24th August 2009, 22:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

24-Aug-2009 Updates

Siva and I went to the Place and snapped a few pics of the WIP. You can see the Leaf's RECAMBERED. The Diff and Axle work is going on along with the Brake Drum replacement/overhauling.
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2226.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2227.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2228.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2230.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2231.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2232.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2233.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2234.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2235.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2236.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 22:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

More Pics of the WIP.

If anyone notices something out of place - please highlight...
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2237.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2238.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2239.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2240.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2241.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2242.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2243.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2244.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2245.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2246.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2247.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2249.jpg  

1990 M&M Cj340-imgp2250.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 22:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Little OT here, but i often wonder why these mechs dont believe in hosing down the vehicle before working on them?? Will make their work more easy and less messy!
Old 24th August 2009, 23:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Little OT here, but i often wonder why these mechs dont believe in hosing down the vehicle before working on them?? Will make their work more easy and less messy!

Simply awarness issue, this point will be conveyed to the mechanic and I'm sure this mechanic will follow your advice from his next project.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Simply awarness issue, this point will be conveyed to the mechanic and I'm sure this mechanic will follow your advice from his next project.
Actually Siva, he did right? He had to use a SCAPEL to scrub of a few KILOS of MUD/GRIME from underbody to even start the dismandling process. But yes - a little wash before would make the work 'look' lot cleaner.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:07   #38
Team-BHP Support

Not only "look" but avoid contaminating fine assembling like wheel bearings, differentials etc hence commented, and i mean real good pressure wash which definitely was not done from the looks of the mud guard and under body?

See only down side to this process is missing out on some minor fluid leaks, but if a check is done to note down these before the wash, it can be well addressed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2009 at 23:10.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only "look" but avoid contaminating fine assembling like wheel bearings, differentials etc hence commented, and i mean real good pressure wash which definitely was not done from the looks of the mud guard and under body?
I'm seeing a point there, Prior to buying this Jeep, it was left in wheel height water for nearly 24 hours during last rain fall and all the parts including wheel bearings were already damaged. That is the reason for working on the same.

Infact today I took some pictures of the oil
(Santhosh, I could see what you think now. Wait I will send you the pic tomorrow as I'm writting this message from different computer and cannot download it from the mobile)that was removed from front differential man it was in whitish grey color. The amount of water inside the differential now pushed me to tell the mechanic to completely dismantle the rear and front differntials to clean and overhaul them.

@Santhosh

Jaggu says water wash to get the mud out of under body.

Last edited by trammway : 24th August 2009 at 23:15.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Offtopic two days back I was watching tamil movie and it had the same Jeep with front grill and square light and i guess you bought that one.
Sha - KakkaKakka Jeep is a 540, 2WD and has a Dash. But grill is very much same. nice observation.
1990 M&M Cj340-kakkakakka.jpg

Quote:
.. but avoid contaminating fine assembling like wheel bearings, differentials etc hence commented..
np sir, totally agree. I learnt this jeep wasnt water washed once in the last 1 YEAR..!!

Quote:
....was removed from front differential man it was in whitish grey color. The amount of water inside the differential now pushed me to tell the mechanic to completely dismantle the rear and front differntials to clean and overhaul them.
Hope this does'nt need some major replacement. OMG..!!
Old 26th August 2009, 11:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Update

Just had a call from Siva. Here the latest updates.

(Sorry no Pics, since his Comp is dead for now)

1) Baby is back on shoe's.
2) The suspension work is completed.
3) Brake assemblies (new+Overhauled) refitted.
4) Differentials overhauled and put back together.
5) Tailgate tinkering work done and no more rattles due to heavy tyre.

Next phase of work.

1) Take out the engine to a lathe' machine nearby to remove the 1 Nut stuck inside it (thanks to the bell housing).
2) Re-fit engine into the bay with new mounts.
3) Openup gearbox/transfercase for replacement of a 1 bearing each.
4) A bit of electricals. All the 4 indicator assy to be changed (old ones are broken).
MY BEST PART...
5) Hand Brake parts are procured and waiting to be installed. (The transfercase drum is intact in the Jeep), only the lining is to be changed. Siva got new handbrake lever, cable, springs, lining. (Best part because- it was a challenge to get these parts and not many CJ's still have a funtioning HB assy)

Thanks
Santosh

Last edited by svsantosh : 26th August 2009 at 11:39.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:48   #42

old jeep

It is not an MM540 for sure. KLT registration is pre 60s. It should ba a willys or CJ3b

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sha - KakkaKakka Jeep is a 540, 2WD and has a Dash. But grill is very much same. nice observation.
Attachment 179872

np sir, totally agree. I learnt this jeep wasnt water washed once in the last 1 YEAR..!!

Hope this does'nt need some major replacement. OMG..!!
Old 28th August 2009, 13:29   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu and all - your absolutely correct comments on washing the vehicle before working on it, in all my 30+ years that I have been interacting with garages, except one garage in Mumbai (obviously Swadi Automobiles, owned by our beloved "dada" Mr.Anand Swadi, our MASA rally headquarters) and one dealership in Kuwait city (the workshop was as clean as a hospital), I have never come across any garage doing this activity. It's a mindset issue. These guys are so used to working in a dirty environment with dirty hands on a dirty vehicle that they think nothing of it. I can't stand it. Fortunately due to my work background, I am fortunate to get my vehicle attended to by any dealer all over India. Therefore, me and my vehicle are insulated from all such madness. The first thing I do on meeting the technician who is going to attend to my vehicle is tell him to wash his hands and come, change his unfform and come, wash his face, dry it properly and come. They get surprised but after they finish my work, they understand that they have delivered double work output with quality in half time. As far as dealerships in India are concerned, things are changing, but very slowly. I wish the change happens faster and is more effective.

Anyways, looking at the photographs of the work in progress, this vehicle is still too dirty. It needs a thorough cleaning. Kindly do it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th August 2009, 14:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
These guys are so used to working in a dirty environment with dirty hands on a dirty vehicle that they think nothing of it. I can't stand it.

Dear Dhabhar,

As Jaggu advised, the same has been conveyed to the garage guys who are doing their work.

I could see you have also rightly pointed out the mind block portion, I completely agree with you. I'm taking up this issue with the mechanic seriously to see what I can do to change one's perception.

Since the Jeep is standing on no wheels till yesterday, the water wash couldn't be done. Same will happen after it can run on it's own.

There are other reasons for the mechanic's to go dirty

1. Most of the Garages are small time(poor) in nature
2. Lack of proper facilities
a. Work sump or lifting mechanism
b. Water wash equipments
c. constraint on the work area
3. High cost of Land and Real estate (restricts equipment installation as lack of space)
4. Labour cost

I have no second reason to disagree your inputs on cleanliness, however once all of the above points are added the cost of service shoots up to multifold. Considering the number of Jeeps running, the ROI also comes in to consideration, so not many garages are willing or taking the risk of horizontal growth.

so, to keep the service cost in affordable range many of the small time garages are pushed to live their life in this manner. As of today they are the only source of service for our hard core metal machines like our Jeeps.

In fact, in my recent visits to the garages I started showing them threads in TBHP and our discussions etc., so they do get some chance to see how the world see them.

Mr.UBS also interacted with Mechanic's from Chennai to make some knowledge transfer done.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Anyways, looking at the photographs of the work in progress, this vehicle is still too dirty. It needs a thorough cleaning. Kindly do it.
Yes Behram sir, As Siva told - Cleaning will be done, unfortunately since the jeep is Limp (last week no wheels, now no engine) it can happen only after a full service.

PS - I remember my bike's manual stating instructions to @$$. It clearly mentioned the 1st point as "Wash Vehicle on Receipt". I vaguely remember my Alto's owner manual service page also mentioning the same. However NO-ONE heeded to the comment. I am sure NONE of the Maruti or TATA dealership I visit perform this task - at least at the prelim level of spraying off the grime from the under chassis - let alone a full wash.

The Kuwaiti experience is something that can be hardly experienced in India.You need to have a Merc/Audi/Beemer to experience such royal treatment. Even (To be serviced) Honda Accords/Civics are parked on the NH in Blore (Hosur Road, dakshin honda). I am guessing even they are not washed off before a service.

Quote:
In fact, in my recent visits to the garages I started showing them threads in TBHP and our discussions etc., so they do get some chance to see how the world see them.

Mr.UBS also interacted with Mechanic's from Chennai to make some knowledge transfer done.
Yep, Education is a endless journey. All training programs undertaken by any manufacturer are small steps to increase cust satisfaction.

- Very kind of UBS to share his knowledge onto mech;s who inturn keep our Jeeps happy.

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th August 2009 at 15:34.

Most Viewed