Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 21:35   #136
Team-BHP Support

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
OK saw your jeep today.
I shall get her running in a day or two, then i want you to drive the jeep and then put me in more trouble Those golden words still playing like a stuck record inside my head, but loving it.

Will give you a call over the weekend.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:42   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OT:

I shall get her running in a day or two, then i want you to drive the jeep and then put me in more trouble Those golden words still playing like a stuck record inside my head, but loving it.

Will give you a call over the weekend.
Ok A party is also pending
Old 10th May 2010, 21:59   #138
Team-BHP Support

shhhhh! you are not supposed to use those words in public especially with the mad offroaders around actually we missed you at the last weekend trip.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

nano with a Scissor Top + Soft Top :)

Thanks to for giving me this used OE CJ340/Classic Aluminum Scissor top frame and soft top... Sir, Regd the stitches from various OTR's - I see it is battle scars of the victorious...

1990 M&M Cj340-oe-scissor.jpg

Oh, and yes - it did fit inside a nano...
Old 13th May 2010, 12:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

The problem on the axle moving around left-right was fixed by a great/simple/ingenious idea - buy a thicker/longer flange. Dont have pics currently, but will post them in a day or two. The new flange is a good 2CM thicker than the earlier one, so now the bolt doesnt stick out and also the axle wont risk popping into the Diff's center...
Old 13th May 2010, 12:24   #141
BANNED

Hey saw you and the Jeep on Old Airport Road on Friday evening. Looks nice. Just dont fill up at the bunk they are big cheats.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:37   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hey saw you and the Jeep on Old Airport Road on Friday evening. Looks nice. Just dont fill up at the bunk they are big cheats.
Hey, you should have flagged me down... we could have caught up.

You brought back a bad memory of that 3 mins in that bunk - I was low on fuel, hardly had 2 liters before the long trip to BTM from there, the moron was chatting away with a buddy and sprayed a good 100ML all over the jeep - I gave him a Earful. Anyways I only filled for 100Rs before topping up at BTM, thx for the valuable tip...
Old 14th May 2010, 02:46   #143
BHPian

Hello Santosh,
thankyou for inviting me to your thread, and I must say, it is getting very interesting.
Coming straight to your query of the broken piece.....
Several answers relating to the so called thrust block/washer etc, as experts have named it, are incomplete.

If you know how the semi floating axles in jeeps are fitted, you will notice that a single wheel bearing is fitted on to the axle shaft from outside or the hub side and it stops at a groove on the axle shaft.
Then the axle is inserted carefully(for the inner oil seal) into the housing and the bearing collar is fitted by hammering it into the housing.
Depending on the condition of the bearing, the collar is always out of the housing. A few shim washers are added to level the collar and finally the plate is tightened with the hub oilseal and brake carrier dish. The same process is done on the other side too.

For the two axles not to move inwards and get loose from the bearing, this 'block is used, simply to act as a bridge over the pin, hence the oblong hole is there to allow for slight adjustments. It can only break it fitted too tight. The shafts rub with it while spinning. Hope I am able to make things clear.

The fact that the full floating setup is not assembled in this manner, there is no need for the 'thrust block'. You could verify with the front set and find there is no such block used.
The type of FFRA you have put is not the correct one. Try and source two genuine world war II jeep's rear axles and tighten them for trouble free operation, remember to use the inner oilseals near the crown assy for trapping the oil from coming out like a screw effect towards the hubs.
This is very important otherwise the hubs will be always wet.

Shall like to hear more on this from experts.
With you always,
yours........................... UBS
Old 14th May 2010, 14:47   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
thank you for inviting me to your thread, and I must say, it is getting very interesting.
Sir, the pleasure of talking to you was mine...

Quote:
...are incomplete....If you know how the semi floating axles in jeeps are fitted, you will notice that a single wheel bearing is fitted on to the axle shaft from outside or the hub side and it stops at a groove on the axle shaft........You could verify with the front set and find there is no such block used......
Thanks Sir, for making it so clear. I will open up the front diff soon for a brake overhaul - might as well check the diff unit too.

Quote:
The type of FFRA you have put is not the correct one. Try and source two genuine world war II jeep's rear axles and tighten them for trouble free operation
I shall get back to you in a few months time regd the same. Currently my budget for the Jeep is broke

Quote:
With you always..... UBS
How true, you instilled courage over the phone for whole 30mins that day and I was happy I didnt do something very wrong...
Old 15th May 2010, 23:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Got the jeep back from Mech with a very very crude fitting of the OE top. It couldnt be fit perfectly for few reasons.

The 2 individual seats are Now fit in the rear of the tub - front facing. These demand a higher head room than usual - so couldnt fit the OE aluminum frame as per spec. And the center aluminum single rod - got cut in 2 :( so further complication... Did a jug-gad with 2 nylon ropes from windshield to rear aluminum frame to stop the soft top from sagging a lot.

Pics tommorow...

EDIT
oh, and my lockers have just arrived from US

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th May 2010 at 23:56.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:25   #146
Senior - BHPian

2 seats from Arjun Goods carrier...

Finally found out where from these 2 seats came... I had paid 700 for the 2 seats, Mech asked 1000 for fitting, I paid him 500 and told him will come back with more work (locker, etc). Note - I can squeeze a spare wheel between the 2 seats (In case of a flat, I dont want to lift the dead weight and bolt it on). Also planning to make some storage area out of the under-seat space... lets see.

Pics...

1990 M&M Cj340-16052010204.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010205.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010206.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010208.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010211.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010212.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010213.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-16052010216.jpg

Also, the pic of the wider flange to make up for the loose jam-bolt... (Wider part is covered inside the cone cover)

1990 M&M Cj340-ffra.jpg
Old 17th May 2010, 15:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

2413 is here...

fingers crossed on this one... dont know what will be the outcome.

1990 M&M Cj340-111.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 17th May 2010 at 15:40.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:06   #148
BANNED

@svsantosh: Th seats. Whats the use for those?
Old 17th May 2010, 16:27   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
fingers crossed on this one... dont know what will be the outcome.

Attachment 349837
Hey Santosh
How much did the lockers cost you and where did you get it from?

Gurus please clarify
Would the lockers on the Cj3B rear diff be the same as Santosh's 340???
How do I acertian this aspect???
thanks

EDIT

Another question Santosh. Are these constant lockers, I mean do they remain in lock position all the time or have a spring mechanism, like the LSD system???

Last edited by harjeev : 17th May 2010 at 16:30.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@svsantosh: Th seats. Whats the use for those?
My friends were complaining about the side benches and how difficult they were without a proper backrest. These seats will address a few of their issues, of course the soft top needs to be totally adjusted to accomodate the extra head room needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
How much did the lockers cost you and where did you get it from?

Gurus please clarify
Would the lockers on the Cj3B rear diff be the same as Santosh's 340???
How do I acertian this aspect???
thanks

EDIT

Another question Santosh. Are these constant lockers, I mean do they remain in lock position all the time or have a spring mechanism, like the LSD system???
Harjeev,

1) Got these from USA, I picked them up from Just-differentials. They costed $353 (incl shipping) till cinncinatti. My friend got them back to India.

2) SPLINE Count - the CJ3B and CJ340 have 19 spline axles - when you shop for ANY locker/LSD/MLD - shop from a spline count perspective.

3) These are auto-lockers. Meaning they dont have a switch like the Gurkha to lock it permanently - these come into action as and when they sense a loss of traction on any of the 2 axles. This is very different from LSD. I learnt a lot from the LSD/Locker thread...

Most Viewed