Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 13:05   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: 1990 M&M CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
hello Santosh, try to put a cap without center bolt
Only possible by 2 ways

1) Thrust block - mine broke, dont know how, so would like to avoid going near it again if possible!
2) Circlip on axle from hub side, hmm, not possible in my case now because the axle doesnt stick out by more than 1-2MM outside the flange, not much space for it.

Quote:
I found out that if a cap without bolts is used , the problem got sorted out 90%

providing a pic

Attachment 842144
Interesting idea (like hub check nut washers) to stop the nut from getting loose. Is it a DIY, or is some washer like this available?

Quote:
Note : please check the axle movement before using a cap like I suggested...........In my case I didnt remove the metal piece inside the diffs ( which was necessary for the original SFRA adjustments )
My axles pop in, all the way to kiss the other axle (roughly 1inch) since I dont have the thrust block.

I think I am happy with the current setup, only time will tell if the current mod sticks... But do provide more info on the innovative washer for hub bolts.

Quote:
Oh another thing I noticed in many pics
Yep - safety is still a long term goal for my workshop/mechanic!! Sigh!!

-----------------------------
----------------------------------

New topic --- Oil mixed with Diesel - Results?...

Gurus,

I read on some forum that for older 'diesel' engines, mixing a 5% approx measure of two-stroke 2T Oil along diesel, makes the engine run smooth along with reduced vibrations and a slightly more Fuel efficiency. I tried a 50ml 2T oil and found it is bloddy expensive @ around 300-400Per liter!!

I spoke of this to my mechanic and he said for ages, Taxi drivers mix 'red oil' - term given to engine oil (cheaper variety, sold in barrerls), a liter of it inside the diesel tank, once in every 30 days... They claim definite results... I too added 100Ml to around half a tank to begin with, lets see the results soon.

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th November 2011 at 13:07.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:51   #452
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Thrust block - mine broke, dont know how, so would like to avoid going near it again if possible!
--- Oh ya I used to stay clear of ' Such ' things in the beginning , but then got used to it .

Quote:
Interesting idea (like hub check nut washers) to stop the nut from getting loose. Is it a DIY, or is some washer like this available?
No Sir NO DIY here , these are readily available for ages with the friendly neighborhood spares guy .

Quote:
I think I am happy with the current setup, only time will tell if the current mod sticks...
seems the only way in your case for now

Quote:
Yep - safety is still a long term goal for my workshop/mechanic!! Sigh!!
Just a suggestion , avoid going underneath the vehicle , if your mech is into such practices ,

Quote:
Taxi drivers mix 'red oil' - term given to engine oil (cheaper variety, sold in barrerls), a liter of it inside the diesel tank, once in every===
there used to be one oil called Upper oil ( locally ) , the full word is Upper cylinder lubrication oil , this oil was also red in color & very thin ,( this is way back --it stopped coming to markets by some 20 yrs back ) this was being used in petrol cars by some 10 ml/ liter ratio. I remember vaguely using it , but I think our good old timers like BD Sir , UBS Sir , Sutripta Sir & also Arka Sir can shed some more light on it

Now you have called in the Gurus here , I better make way to them in Oil --diesel topic (-- I do have some DIY stories to tell on this subject - but not now-- )

Sudarshan
Old 15th November 2011, 19:00   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have some DIY stories to tell on this subject - but not now--
If you start, I will share a DIY Diesel-to-Petrol conversion story on a running petrol jeep which I heard personally when I was in kolkata ...
Old 15th November 2011, 19:11   #454
BANNED

Quote:
If you start, I will share a DIY Diesel-to-Petrol conversion story on a running petrol jeep which I heard personally when I was in kolkata ...
not sure of Jeep engines though , but its possible in my model of Land Rover -- as the engine block & crank are of same specs --

but for now on the current topic ---I am in the Queue here

alphabetically also, Vaidya ( my surname ) is last in the row , check that-- A for Arka , B for ----

Sudarshan
Old 15th November 2011, 21:17   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there used to be one oil called Upper oil ( locally ) , the full word is Upper cylinder lubrication oil , this oil was also red in color & very thin ,( this is way back --it stopped coming to markets by some 20 yrs back ) this was being used in petrol cars by some 10 ml/ liter ratio.

Sudarshan
Shell Donax U. Not to be mixed up with todays Donax, which I think is a gear oil.
Some people even put in a small quantity in the cooling water. To 'lubricate' the seals.

Mixing some oil with diesel is an age old practice of truckers. They say it is to protect the fuel pump, not the engine. Given the mileage they clock up, who are we to argue with them!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 21:42   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Mixing some oil with diesel is an age old practice of truckers. They say it is to protect the fuel pump,
I think mixing of oil will protect the ' Pump ' ( as they say ) , particularly when the diesel is adulterated with Kerosene or things like that .

Am I right here ?

one more doubt , I have read somewhere that multigrade oils don't mix with petrol -- is that right ? & also is it the same with diesel ??

I guess 2 stroke oils will do the desired job safely & properly -- what is your Take Sir ?

Sudarshan
Old 16th November 2011, 00:57   #457
Senior - BHPian

Wow! this is something making me feel interested. Recently when I changed to a new engine (Peugeot) my mech advised me to add half lt oil to a full tank of diesel for sometime as per him it will allow nozzles to play smooth as we had some issues with one getting stuck, I personally felt this by adding engine oil engine was behaving smooth, noise reduced, even today I do add engine oil once in a while and recently did 600 plus kms drive with 1/2 lt oil to full tank, hence I would like to know from the experts is this practice ok or is there anything better than this I can do.

Last edited by chanu : 16th November 2011 at 00:59.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:10   #458
Senior - BHPian

Water, To Hell with it...!!

Quote:
Note - this MOD, the current setup - HAS 1 MAJOR draw back from a operations/ownership perspective - For every brake shoe replacement/brake cylinder service -- I WILL HAVE TO open the HUB/Bearings/the whole setup!! Earlier, the labor costs would have been lesser for a rear brake job, but not now.
Yesteday, I noticed while cleaning out the front brakes - EVERY 2WD & 4WD JEEP - has the above setup for the FRONT. So, to access the brake shoes - the mech has to remove the FWH/Flanges - take out the two hub check nuts - (loosen the brakes a bit) - then jerk pull the "WHOLE Tyre/Rim + HUB (with 2 bearings on either side) + DRUM" setup to expose the spindle + shoes + (1 or 2) wheel cylinder(s) + carrier plate.

So, only big thing is, even the rear in my Jeep has this setup now!!

------------------------

Just after the rebuild, my 1st Mini OTR was a slush fest at the sarjapur lake... Axle deep in slush, It was fun, but I just got a pressure water wash done and sprayed oil in the under-chassis and left the Jeep for a while since I was travelling. Upon return, the front brakes were acting up and used to pull to right and left, depending on its mood!!

Opened up yesterday and found a good 50~ML of diff oil all over the front left brake system!! Both wheel cylinder kits in front left were bust, and the green + red oil/DOT3 combo was gooey!! Cleaned it up for good and replaced the brake cyl kits/oil seals... Thankfully Right side was clean as new.

Next issue was 4th Nozzle started leaking fuel - again - I lost track how many times!! This time got a nozzle (complete) from a jeep and removed the old one and thankfully this issue was sorted out too.

Currently happy with a jeep that brakes on a straight line and no stupid leaks anywhere! Still sitting on the PTO project idea, not able to decide between a air comp/water comp!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd November 2011 at 15:21.
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:20   #459
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1990 M&M Cj340

At last, got one, on the way...!! a replica/look alike of the ARB one, but not ARB

Snatch Block - 9000LBS [Snatch Block 9000lbs] - R290.00 : 4x4 Direct, Offroad Accessories direct to the public.

Costed around 290 Rands - you do the math...

1990 M&M Cj340-1.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-2.jpg
Old 11th December 2011, 12:56   #460
Senior - BHPian

ok - it is BIG!!! & HEAVY!!

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc01484.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 02:34   #461
Senior - BHPian

Santhosh, Congratulations. Good one, I think this will enable all your need in winching situations. The pulling rate of 9000 pounds are promising, did you already used it ?
Old 15th December 2011, 06:23   #462
Senior - BHPian

^nope - didnt get a chance yet - will update with a vid as soon as time permits.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:17   #463
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Waiting for an update. Eargerly !!
Old 20th February 2012, 19:08   #464
BHPian

Dear Santhosh,

I have read this thread through all the post from page till the end and also through the threads provided as links with great interest. Its heartening to see such enthusiasm to ensure a practical offroad vehicle that would support almost all your needs as an offroadie.

Your step by step mods was very informative and I had had a good learning of lots of new terms and jobs that would make our jeeps more reliable. I hope to see you on one of the OTRs soon.
Thanks once again for the wonderful narration.
Old 21st February 2012, 00:41   #465
Senior - BHPian

Dear Chander, VJ - thanks for reading my thread... I am busy on personal front but surely have not lost my focus on the jeep - the WIP is the air-compressor (on board air off PTO) project which is on hold because the aircomp is somewhere on the way - no one knows where - LOL! All the end result is inside my head, just need the main part to reach my home...

Post that - the diff breather on the rear diff cover mod is pending (due to FFRA mod and its 2 oil seals making the OE breather of no use!), and re-hosing all the breathers on GB/Axles (didnt refix the hoses after rebuild).

Paperwise - mar12 will bring about the next 1-year road tax for TN (1K Rs)...

Other than these, been driving the jeep once in a while for couple of Kms on weekends to charge the battery - it is super smooth and thankfully no stupid rattles/noises.

Also, been breaking my head about doing a La_Tractor type silencer extension on a-pillar or similar place to avoid the silencer bend/dents in OTR and risking a blown head gasket - need a good pipe bender for that - Mohang is part of that idea, lets see where that goes...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks