Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 23:24   #31
BHPian

V16

The guy helping me out for the insulation is from my industry actually (Building Utilities). He supplies for our projects acoustic insulation products and thermal insulation rolls sheets and tubes for chilled water piping and duct insulation. He is helping as a special interest he has in cars. He has just done a 65 FJ and a Bentley. He is recommending both a dampener (like dynamat) and an absorber (Armasound). He has left a sample with Ferdi. I will sms you his business card in the morning

Will definitely be going to Ferdi on Tuesday. Lets try to catch up
Old 16th August 2009, 23:27   #32
BHPian

You can import these kits from America and other places. They claim to be bolt on

But I wouldnt bet on everything being hunky dory on all fronts. Something or the other does end up getting compromised.

Unless it is absolutely tried and tested here, stick with the factory set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Anytime mate. No its not under wraps, just its taking a little longer than i expected. Should be out within the week.

You can come anytime. You have my no. call me and come over whenevever buddy.

Please, i will really appreciate that.

Today my guy informed me that he has purchased the front seats of a Ford Ikon to fit into the Jeep. Why Ikon? I have no idea. He just told me he got them as OE Jeep seats would not do to well in an OTR and i think hes absolutely right. Also they are not exactly an epitome of comfort. I was thinking maybe Recaro style but thats not too comfortable too. Need to go to the garage and check it out. I have been updating my thread. Please go through it and add your comments. The progress is far more than what the last posted pics show.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-now-what.html

Coil spring conversion would not count for a bolt on conversion. Nor will a six cyl engine swap. This hampers the reliability of the vehicle, especially a Jeep. Maybe plonking in a diesel with an autobox would be worth a try but definitely not bolt on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I only meant the coil spring as a bolt on mod, th engine swap would be a big job. But wouldn't throwing in a diesel with an auto tranny need some kind of ecu work?
Old 16th August 2009, 23:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
Congrats 53BHP on the new possession. MMs are flooding everywhere now.
Saikat

Lets just re phrase that as " MM's are being resurrected everywhere now, shall we"
Old 17th August 2009, 00:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I only meant the coil spring as a bolt on mod, th engine swap would be a big job. But wouldn't throwing in a diesel with an auto tranny need some kind of ecu work?
Yes and No. Yes if thats an engine from a newer model. No if from an older model. Taking its spartan natur,id opt for an older, non ECU type of engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
V16-Will definitely be going to Ferdi on Tuesday. Lets try to catch up
Thanks, call me ill come along. Only my day starts a little later than what time you propose to get there.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:30   #35
BHPian

I like to go early as ferdi gets more and more hassled as the day progresses.

But we can go when ever you surface.say 12.30pm?

Ro
Old 18th August 2009, 13:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Lets just re phrase that as " MM's are being resurrected everywhere now, shall we"
Surely it is.

Last edited by 4x4 loaded : 18th August 2009 at 13:27.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:56   #37
BHPian

Restoration Update

Visited Ferdi again today. V16 came along too. The work on the Jeep is coming along pretty well. Mechanical work on the Jeep is almost complete

Tomorrow the arrangement for the center mounted hand brake goes in. Then the body will be dropped down, babu will go for a thorough wash. Then its going to be under body rust proofing

After that we will carry out whatever tin work is required. 2 days

Then the body gets raised up again for final rust proofing. Engine bay will get this treatment:

This ArmaSound a sound absorber. This will go under bonnet:
Attachment 176456

This a combination of ArmaSound and TechSound absorber + dampener. This will go on engine firewall and other parts of the engine compartment:
Attachment 176454

This is only the dampener. May use inside the cabin:

Attachment 176455

Here are some more images of the work done so far:

Engine, gearbox, tx case, differentials have been checked and apart from fluids everything is good

All for brakes have been completely overhauled

Steering linkage has been overhauled. Box goes in tomorrow

Patta's have been overhauled. All bushes new. King pin set serviced

Shocks are good. Only bushes replaced

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-3.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-4.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-6.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-12.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-13.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-14.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-15.jpg

Today we discussed whether to take the top off and get to the box section below the windscreen. This is a mm540 section guaranteed to rust. But we decided against it. Its better to let a sleeping dog lie. God alone knows what we will have to contend with to get the top back on. right now it is well and truly bonded in place

v16 suggested taking it off when i have a replacement solution for this sarkari babu hard top. I definitely want another hard top. Since babu is going on some long distance trips in the future a hard top with proper locks is alway preferred for locking away stuff

We still have to take a call on whether to retain the 16" wheel setup or go for gypsy rims with 15 inch tyres. What say guys. It will definitely be radials (HT) so what rim size and tyre size and profile will you recommend

We also have to decide on the color to paint the Jeep

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-august-18-2.jpg
Old 18th August 2009, 20:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rohit, great meeting up with you after a long time.
Regarding the paint scheme, i have the following suggestions.

You may choose the top colour as you wish but i suggest it remains a very light shade

I prefer Rush's Classic's look when you plan to soft top her, if you ever do
then the pic of the brownish jeep to the right with cream wheels looks great. Imagine with a same shade on the hard top?
Attached Thumbnails
Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-42gpw.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-63-willys.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-2508749619_fb962db2e9.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-gto.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-hubbardtoprear.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-outside.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-jeep.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-vbpgimage4.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-willje0.jpg  

Old 18th August 2009, 21:26   #39
BHPian

Honda CB350 Four 1973 and a suzuki inazuma gsx400 96.i must visit you next time i'm in your town definately.enoy the build up,

cheers

mandeep
Old 18th August 2009, 22:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
We still have to take a call on whether to retain the 16" wheel setup or go for gypsy rims with 15 inch tyres. What say guys. It will definitely be radials (HT) so what rim size and tyre size and profile will you recommend
In my opinion stay with the 16" setup. 15" will probably reduce your GC. And why not AT instead of HT? Considering that you are planning to take Babu on long distance trips a vehicle will high ground clearance and all terrain tyres will surely help.

Great work happening on Babu. Would love to see it when it's complete!
Regards,
Gautam
Old 19th August 2009, 09:57   #41
BHPian

Looking at my usage profile, Trevor from Straightline feels I should go for HT at least for the 1st set. It will have better road manners and be less noisy
Old 19th August 2009, 10:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Honda CB350 Four 1973 and a suzuki inazuma gsx400 96.i must visit you next time i'm in your town definately.enoy the build up,

cheers

mandeep
Yup these are my babies. Also have an adopted son called gpz900r. born 1985. bad boy.

welcome anytime in mumbai. i am close to airport

thats some 440 you have man. awesome
Old 19th August 2009, 10:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hey Rohit, great meeting up with you after a long time.
Regarding the paint scheme, i have the following suggestions.

You may choose the top colour as you wish but i suggest it remains a very light shade

I prefer Rush's Classic's look when you plan to soft top her, if you ever do
then the pic of the brownish jeep to the right with cream wheels looks great. Imagine with a same shade on the hard top?
Thanks Gogi

I am inclined to go in for a lighter shade only. Either the 1st snap you attached of the willys in the garage or something like an antique white or like fazal's superb 540

I am also thinking of 2 toning meaning painting the top pure white and the rest of hard top and body 1 color like beige brown or sand or whatever

something like defender 90

What you think?
Old 19th August 2009, 11:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thats amazing piece of work going on, I am glued here.

Is this same guy Ferdinand Rodricks who has Mahindra Service Center in Parel ?
Old 19th August 2009, 12:35   #45
BHPian

You are absolutely right Amit. That is the incomparable Ferdi Rodricks' Mahindra Service Center (JCAS The Milestone)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks