Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 11:02   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear 53 bhp, why did put the body back on the chassis, if u have to get the body work done. i guess it could have been transported and worked upon independently. More like the Overhaulin way. nothing woud have been left out in that case.
I was trying to do that only but it was proving to be a logistical nightmare. That is why we decided to finish all mechanicals with body up and then the rest of the upper body work. As you can see from the snaps, the tin work on the body parts close to or connected to the chassis has been completed already (temporarily protected by red oxide coat)

After we finish the stage 2 work, the jeep will be back at Milestone for 1 last hoist where anything left over will be done and the final suspension set up cambered
Old 30th August 2009, 11:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - please check technical suitability of any tyre that you buy with the wheel rim that you intend to use it on. Also please check the suitability of the wheel rim mounting mechanism on the vehicle. If not done properly, safety will get affected and vehicle dynamics will go for a complete toss. Please refer to the ITTAC manual for details.

Please do not spend money to spoil your car. If in doubt, please PM me for clarification.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir

Considering this car doesnt have power steering please can you recommend the ideal tyre profile and size to suit the MM540 for optimum road use and reasonable offroad performance
Old 31st August 2009, 08:31   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 53BHP - please use P215/75R15 Bridgestone tyres with original Gypsy steel wheels. The PCD matches at 139.7 mm (5.5 inches), the offset is different by 2 mm only. Please confirm that the Gypsy steel wheels you will use are technically suitable for tubeless tyres, then you can use tubeless tyres, otherwise use tubed tyres. Just don't ask anybody, everybody will say yes, please confirm from ITTAC manual. During full articulation, the tyres will have minor rubbing with the rear wheel arches but it is in limiting condition only. The suspension movement must support the tyre envelope dimensions.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st August 2009, 11:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Dear Behram sir

Could you please shed some light on the number of kilometers the MRF Sandgrips or Apollo Bullets are known to to run for in in the Army vehicles!!!
There is a lot of confusion whether they run for 20k or 40k kms.
Best Regards
Harjeev
Hello Behram Sir,

Also add JK Sand Cum Highway in the list which I will have on my 550 on stock rims. I also want to know the same facts with its suitability. I think suitability is not a problem as M&M gives this as stock tyre on all 550s to army on 16inch wheel rim.

Tarkesh
Old 31st August 2009, 14:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tarkesh - please do not confuse army aggregate wheel rim and army tyre with anything else. The army wheel rim is manufactured to suit the army tyre. The assembly has just too much inertia (in simple terms, it is just too heavy), but as the army usage is special, they want to use it. Please follow my instructions, you will be delighted. Please do not pay good money to spoil your car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st August 2009, 14:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Army rims...looks VS practicality

Quote:
Dear Tarkesh - please do not confuse army aggregate wheel rim and army tyre with anything else. The army wheel rim is manufactured to suit the army tyre. The assembly has just too much inertia (in simple terms, it is just too heavy), but as the army usage is special, they want to use it. Please follow my instructions, you will be delighted. Please do not pay good money to spoil your car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Behram sir,
Can you please explain the special use for which army preferred this wheel rim? If this rim was special then why did M&M discontinue it? The army rims look so good that people go for it even after its obvious disadvantages.

If one fits army tyres and rims what are the problems that one can expect?

The only problem i see in your suggesstion to 53BHP is that 215/75/R15 is that he will loose out on ground clearance and stance of the vehicle as his one is a hardtop and the vehicle will look taller due to smaller tyres. I think he should go for 235 size BF goodrich. Best all round tyre.

P.S- Iam using 235 /70 R16 bridstone HT on my standard jeep rim. No issues what so ever. Did 2 palar challenges and numereous off roads. It doesnt even rub during full ariculation. Steering is also only slightly heavier than NDMS 700-16

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 31st August 2009 at 14:55.
Old 31st August 2009, 15:45   #82
BHPian

Vinod

Someone has a set of 5 brand new 235/70/R16 tyres (Bridgy's) off his Scorpio which he replaced with Michelins when he bought. I am trying to negotiate a fair price

Great to read your post. I hope it is ok to use this tyre if the price is very good.

Any suggestions as to what would be a good price to pay for the lot of 5 tyres OEM
Old 31st August 2009, 16:11   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod - please post pictures of your tyres with wheel rims on the car as equipped.

Dear 53BHP - please post pictures of the wheel rims on which you intend to mount the Scorpio tyres if you buy them.

I need this information, to be able to comment further.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st August 2009, 16:41   #84
Senior - BHPian

235 tyres and jeep rims

Quote:
Dear Vinod - please post pictures of your tyres with wheel rims on the car as equipped.

Dear 53BHP - please post pictures of the wheel rims on which you intend to mount the Scorpio tyres if you buy them.

I need this information, to be able to comment further.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Behram sir,
Pl see the tyres on my jeep rim. I know technically such wide tyre should not be on 4.5J rim but trust me no issues at all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-jeep.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-dsc08409.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-dsc08469.jpg  

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-picture20101.jpg  

Old 31st August 2009, 17:56   #85
BHPian

My Rims

Here is a pic of my rim:

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-image_116.jpg

Got My 4wd ( MM540 )-image_115.jpg
Old 31st August 2009, 18:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Behram sir,
Pl see the tyres on my jeep rim. I know technically such wide tyre should not be on 4.5J rim but trust me no issues at all!!
Nice Jeep Vinod. I like the color (potty beige ) But it wont look good on my Jeep as I have the Roplas Sarkari Babu hardtop (at least for now). So I guess its going to be some form of white for me
Old 8th September 2009, 19:48   #87
BHPian

Hey 53 BHP, what's the update on your ride.
Old 8th September 2009, 21:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rohit, great to see Babu coming on great. Looks like your Babu and my CJ will be out almost at the same time.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:04   #89
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if you've seen this already, but check this link out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...y-use-car.html
Old 13th September 2009, 11:02   #90
BHPian

Delayed update

Guys sorry for the break. I have been travelling and a bit caught up with stuff so the gap. I must report mixed news on the jeep. almost 2 weeks ago i had reported that i was ready to go pick up the jeep from Ferdi. Infact GTO called to say c'mon on your first OTR with us on Sunday. Alas Saturday morning Ferdi called to say the Jeep was taken on trial and was jumping out of gear in 2nd

So back in and out with the gearbox. Once we got it out it was decided to do a complete overhaul of the box (The gearbox was already worked on by the preivious owner and unfortunately he got a barber to do it i guess. There were shims and everything was messed up) Then a raft of other small small things (like GTO said, the work on your Jeep can never ever get over...just get her out and on the road)

So I took GTO's advise. I said to Ferdi, please get her on the road yaar. Finally with fingers crossed I should be getting Babu on Tuesday. He said Monday, but I am saying Tuesday. He is just too meticulous. I am sure he wont let it go until he is completely satisfied

While the Jeep was on the lift, we also realised that the chamber was not all it looked like. The chamber nut on 540's (and i guess on most Jeeps) has a square profile. So to change oil, most mechanics (barbers) who dont have the right gear will put whatever he has and give it a few whacks with a nice hammer. Result the threading never holds up ever again. Solution: a big wad of M Seal. That was the case with mine

So in went a new chamber bottom. In a way good we saw it now rather than run dry on a long trip out of town

We also managed to get out all the accumulated goomp in chamber and had it cleaned out nice and proper

While we were there we put in a fuel tank as well, since that too had a slight leak from the bolt below (dont want to run dry on a nice long trip out of town)

The good news is that I have just swung a good deal on a set of 4 tires

Bridgestone H/T, 235/70/R16 with 40km on road for 2k a piece from vintage car owner PP Asher's Scorpio. He shod his Scorp with Michelins straight out the showroom, so had 4 OEM's available at his farmhouse

A fair price in my opinion considering Vinod Nookala paid a bit more for the same set with 30% wear

We also got in a new set of body mounts i guess the same used on the Bolero

So folks please keep your fingers crossed that the next post you see will have pics of me behind the wheel (steering wheel) of Babu on on road (not Milestone compound)

Most Viewed