Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Info on Purchasing a jeep

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a jeep. The plan still needs confirmation from my parents who will have to fund for the jeep for now. So i had a few questions for you all.

1) How much would a MM540 or a CJ340 cost? It could be a prior 2000 model

2) What to look for while buying a Jeep? Any problem areas one should specifically look into?

3) Can a 2wd be converted into a 4wd? I have been seeing a lot of government vehicles and most of them are 2wds.

4) Is a Jeep very expensive to maintain? In the sense that what are the service periods?

5) How feasable are jeeps for everyday commute?

6) How many kilometers to the liter can one expect for Jeeps ( the ones mentioned above)

Hoping to get some quick replies.

Thankyou,

Prashanth

Last edited by lobojames9 : 12th August 2009 at 20:04.
Old 12th August 2009, 20:43   #2
BHPian

Quote:
1) How much would a MM540 or a CJ340 cost? It could be a prior 2000 model

2) What to look for while buying a Jeep? Any problem areas one should specifically look into?

3) Can a 2wd be converted into a 4wd? I have been seeing a lot of government vehicles and most of them are 2wds.

4) Is a Jeep very expensive to maintain? In the sense that what are the service periods?

5) How feasable are jeeps for everyday commute?

6) How many kilometers to the liter can one expect for Jeeps ( the ones mentioned above)
1. Depends on the make, model and condition of the Jeep. Could be anything between 70,000K and 200,000K.
2.As in the case of any vehicle, look for trouble with the engine first, then gearbox.There should be no smoke from exhaust after warming up and the oil pressire guage should show not less than 2. Avail the assistance of an experienced mechanic for avoiding tears in future! Also look for rust under the platform and fenders.
3. Yes a 2WD can be converted to 4WD . Cost 15K approximately.
4.A jeep, in good condition,is the most inexpensive beast to maintain and he will be as reliable as the sun.The usual service interval is 5000KMs, but if you are a Jeep Affectionado you will make it shorter for sure !
5.That depends upon your attitude alone.If you look for comfort, refinement and speed, then forget Jeep and go for a car. If you look for character, manliness and toughness(and economy by the way), JEEP is your steed, undoubtedly.
6.Since the 540 and 340 share the same Peugeot IDI engine, you will be getting something between 12 and 14kms/litre

P.S: The nature of your querries suggest that the Jeep mania has hit you. Then go ahead and you will never regret your decision.Cheers Jeeper!

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 12th August 2009 at 20:45.
Old 12th August 2009, 20:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
1. Depends on the make, model and condition of the Jeep. Could be anything between 70,000K and 200,000K.
2.As in the case of any vehicle, look for trouble with the engine first, then gearbox.There should be no smoke from exhaust after warming up and the oil pressire guage should show not less than 2. Avail the assistance of an experienced mechanic for avoiding tears in future! Also look for rust under the platform and fenders.
3. Yes a 2WD can be converted to 4WD . Cost 15K approximately.
4.A jeep, in good condition,is the most inexpensive beast to maintain and he will be as reliable as the sun.The usual service interval is 5000KMs, but if you are a Jeep Affectionado you will make it shorter for sure !
5.That depends upon your attitude alone.If you look for comfort, refinement and speed, then forget Jeep and go for a car. If you look for character, manliness and toughness(and economy by the way), JEEP is your steed, undoubtedly.
6.Since the 540 and 340 share the same Peugeot IDI engine, you will be getting something between 12 and 14kms/litre

P.S: The nature of your querries suggest that the Jeep mania has hit you. Then go ahead and you will never regret your decision.Cheers Jeeper!
Thank you Ashley for the speedy reply. Yes the Jeep Mania has surely hit me. Hit me long back. But i have not been able to get one because of funds. As of now one of my friends whos father is working for the government said he'll try and getting me a good deal during the next government jeep auction. So i am hoping this time atleast i can convince my parents.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

another one bites the dust!

meanwhile you can visit or search for a good MM workshop or a local jeep mechanic whom you can ask all sorts of Qs to understand his knowledge about the jeep and its upkeep!

and once you are friendly with him, pay him something to come with you to check the condition of the jeep in the auction!
Old 13th August 2009, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
another one bites the dust!

meanwhile you can visit or search for a good MM workshop or a local jeep mechanic whom you can ask all sorts of Qs to understand his knowledge about the jeep and its upkeep!

and once you are friendly with him, pay him something to come with you to check the condition of the jeep in the auction!
Thanks for the advice Parm. Ill make sure i find a good mechanic.

@all: Can you all please enlighten me on the different engines that come with the MM540/550 and CJ 340. And their specifications... For MM540 there is some information on the net. But i could not get information on the CJ 340.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post

I'm thinking of buying a jeep.....
I am also in the same boat as you are!! Had been on a drive with one of my friends in his MM540 and was floored by it. That's when i bit the dust!!!

I have similar questions to yours, so will keep a close watch on this thread. My plans are for a few months down the line though..!

Cheers!!
Old 13th August 2009, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I am also in the same boat as you are!! Had been on a drive with one of my friends in his MM540 and was floored by it. That's when i bit the dust!!!

I have similar questions to yours, so will keep a close watch on this thread. My plans are for a few months down the line though..!

Cheers!!
My plans are down the line too. Depending on when the auction is and when my parents agree on my plan of buying a jeep. But I'm hoping that it is sooner than later. I'm trying to gather as much information so that i can take an informed decision while buying the Jeep, plus its good to have knowledge about the same too.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

hope you have seen the auction thread, it will help if you need one from the auction.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
hope you have seen the auction thread, it will help if you need one from the auction.
I actually havent. Thanks for the information. I shall look at that thread.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Always remember you buy a jeep with your heart and hardly with your mind. However when you eventually own one you will never regret having bought one.
Others have been quite helpful, my advise would be to look for welds in the chassis, this is a more serious problem. Check for engine re compression and other areas.

Its hard to come buy immaculate Jeeps as they are already owned by bhpians. Just kidding, you might just get lucky, you can never say.

Dont bother about fuel consumption, it should be within 8 to 12kmpl. Di Jeeps more economic in this aspect. They are fun to drive too. Peugeot engines are good workhorses hence the mileage would be a tad lower.

If you love your Jeep you can use it for anything. Commuting, OTR and for anything as wild as you can imagine. A long drive on a Jeep however is not a very comfortable event.

Wish you luck and keep us updated.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Always remember you buy a jeep with your heart and hardly with your mind.
=========
Wish you luck and keep us updated.
Thanks for the advice BeeJay. Two more areas that i'll be looking into before buying the Jeep. I'm noob as far as Jeeps go. So all this information is very helpful. Can you tell me about the engines please?
Old 13th August 2009, 20:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

A long drive on a Jeep however is not a very comfortable event.
Thank beejay.. Could you please elaborate a bit on the above point. When you say long journey is not very comfortable do you mean on bad roads or is it generally related to the seating and ergonomics for the driver & passenger?

The drive in the MM540 was not very uncomfortable on even roads and broken, potholed roads as well. So wanted to know a bit more on the same.
Old 13th August 2009, 20:50   #13
BHPian

Another question that just hit my head guys,

Most of these second hand jeeps would have done quite a few kilometers on the odo. So i wanted to know about engine overhaul.

1) What do they do when they do a overhaul?
2) When does a engine need a overhaul? Depends on abuse or the amount of kilometers used?
3) How much does an overhaul cost?
Old 13th August 2009, 23:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Another question that just hit my head guys,

Most of these second hand jeeps would have done quite a few kilometers on the odo. So i wanted to know about engine overhaul.

1) What do they do when they do a overhaul?
2) When does a engine need a overhaul? Depends on abuse or the amount of kilometers used?
3) How much does an overhaul cost?

Almost same questions have be answered in the Technical section here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ons-cj-3b.html

No one can really tell you the actual amount for EO untill you really do. Engine overhaul cost includes the following components

1. Parts that required for overhaul such as gaskets, bearing, piston, rings, liner, belts, water pump and other stuffs that are worn out. If totally wornout engine some times needs head change which is the highest on engine overhaul part cost.

2. Lathe charges for liner insert, head surfacing, bearing inserts etc.

3. service charges for addnl components such as diesel pump, alternator, starter motor, radiator etc.

4. Mechanical labour charges

5. Lubrication oils, filters and oil seals

6. Transport charges for the engine block transportation to the machine shop and mechanic's garage

When people do engine over haul, they also consider doing

1. Suspension overhaul
2. Break overhaul
3. Steering overhaul
4. Gearbox overhaul
5. and Electrical overhaul etc.
Old 14th August 2009, 19:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Almost same questions have be answered in the Technical section here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ons-cj-3b.html

No one can really tell you the actual amount for EO untill you really do. Engine overhaul cost includes the following components

1. Parts that required for overhaul such as gaskets, bearing, piston, rings, liner, belts, water pump and other stuffs that are worn out. If totally wornout engine some times needs head change which is the highest on engine overhaul part cost.

2. Lathe charges for liner insert, head surfacing, bearing inserts etc.

3. service charges for addnl components such as diesel pump, alternator, starter motor, radiator etc.

4. Mechanical labour charges

5. Lubrication oils, filters and oil seals

6. Transport charges for the engine block transportation to the machine shop and mechanic's garage

When people do engine over haul, they also consider doing

1. Suspension overhaul
2. Break overhaul
3. Steering overhaul
4. Gearbox overhaul
5. and Electrical overhaul etc.

Thanks for the reply. I shall look into all this when i get my Jeep.

Most Viewed