Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 09:49   #91
BHPian

@Atul: You are welcome to visit anytime that suits you. Mamaji is coming back today, so it will be good to bring the Jeep as we will also be able to evaluate the exact condition of the vehicle and recommend you accordingly.

@Torque: Do not worry buddy you will have your Jeep ready at the earliest.

@Allana: I will attribute my popularity to my team for doing quality job and to my friends who deem it fit to recommend my place to others for getting work done by us. Must say it does feel good to be popular.

Posting two pictures of the Chassis frame, the engine and gearbox was mounted on and painted. Hoping to start up work on final paint and assembly from tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06674.jpg  

Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY-dsc06675.jpg  

Last edited by diesel_maniac : 8th October 2009 at 09:55.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:14   #92
BHPian

jaswinder, it sure makes me feel very nice to see ur dream workshop busy and popular.

guys this is the place u should get ur jeep to for a full refit from a completely commited and dedicated jaswinder.

the white jeep of the background pix is mine and is almost nearing a perfect state of reliability and readiness. perhaps the last set of issues will be sorted out over this week. i am using it daily for almost 50 kms. and progressively the breakdown rate and time spent in th workshop is coming down.the long cherished dream of a jeep holiday with my cycle loaded in the rear in spiti is seeeming closer......

shibu : drive to chennai must have great..did the photographing madame accompany u?
Old 8th October 2009, 13:48   #93
BHPian

Wowie !

Jasvinder it is coming together beautifully !! I hope the color we have chosen will do justice to the finshed jeep, with USMC stars and all that Jazz.

You are "THE MAN" doc !!!!

We need to take a call on whether to take a chance with Speedways 7.16 or stick to the tried and tested MRF 6.16. Honest I 've been dreaming everday (no seriously) about the WIP.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 8th October 2009 at 13:50. Reason: typo
Old 8th October 2009, 15:19   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
We need to take a call on whether to take a chance with Speedways 7.16 or stick to the tried and tested MRF 6.16. Honest I 've been dreaming everday (no seriously) about the WIP.
Go for it matey!! Try the 7.16 (I thought you were planning 7.5 16?). It looks far better and will give you more GC as well.

I know how you feel. When I plan stuff for my Gypsy I just end up dreaming about it on most nights! its a jeeper thing!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 8th October 2009, 19:19   #95
BHPian

The steering column looks so thin or is it me?
Great progress by the way, can't wait to see it done
Old 8th October 2009, 20:33   #96
BHPian

Hello GO SLOW,
I am lookin for 7.16 footwear for my 3B. Are the speedways 7.16 non directional? also where do i pick them up in NCR, any clue?

Regards
atul
Old 8th October 2009, 20:40   #97
BHPian

GoSlow,
Forgot one thing, how do the speedways compare to 6.16 MRF NDMS in terms of quality and reliability.
When you said Gc in your last post i presume its ground clearance. How does ground clearance change from 6.16 to 7.16. Would love to be enlightened

regards
atul

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 8th October 2009 at 20:43. Reason: missed certain queries
Old 8th October 2009, 21:09   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi Atul
7.00 16 NDMS are not easily available atleast not new and not in Delhi!!!
The options that you might have are either buy the tyres from Punjab Speedway company claims to still mrf these tyres, but the price that they are demanding are through the roof.
The second option that one might have is sourcing 2nd hand tyres. A friend of mine has bought these and they are performing quite well at OTR's

Brand new from MRF or a reputed manufacturer should be very very difficult, if not impossible!!!

EDIT
the second hand tyres are being used in a CJ3B itself!!!

Last edited by harjeev : 8th October 2009 at 21:10.
Old 9th October 2009, 03:27   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
@Atul: You are welcome to visit anytime that suits you. Mamaji is coming back today, so it will be good to bring the Jeep as we will also be able to evaluate the exact condition of the vehicle and recommend you accordingly.

@Torque: Do not worry buddy you will have your Jeep ready at the earliest.

@Allana: I will attribute my popularity to my team for doing quality job and to my friends who deem it fit to recommend my place to others for getting work done by us. Must say it does feel good to be popular.

Posting two pictures of the Chassis frame, the engine and gearbox was mounted on and painted. Hoping to start up work on final paint and assembly from tomorrow.

Jas buddy, i dont have jeep now, dont know when i will own 1. But whenever i do own 1 i am defiantely comeing to you for expert advise.
I know its all a team work but its good to have pros like you guys on the forum to help folk like us.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:12   #100
BHPian

well the dreams never end , even when ur vehicle is ready , then the dreams change contour to u driving it all the remote places u havent been to.........its addictive.
ndms tyres are available in noida, will crosscheck for 7.0
harjeev : long time no speak ...hows ur 3b refit plan going?
Old 9th October 2009, 08:53   #101
BHPian

Harjeev and Sharad,
i checked up with the MRF dealer here in Faridabad for 6.16 and he right away confirmed that it was possible to supply the same after consulting somebody. But the supply would take atleast 15days. he was'nt sure about the rate since his complete shop was undergoing rennovation and he could'nt locate the price list. as an estimate he gave a figure of Rs.2500-2700 per tyre (did'nt mention anything about the tube though). Dont know whether its high or low. Got the tele no. of Speedways from the net. Would try to find out about 7.16 availability its price today. However i'm still unsure about the quality part Speedways NDMS vis-a vis MRF NDMS.

Anyone who has used speedways 7.16 NDMS...would appreciate feedback.

atul
Old 9th October 2009, 10:24   #102
BHPian

7.00-16 Ndms

About the ongoing discussion on the choice of tyres for the 3B. I will vote for MRF 6.00-16 NDMS over the Speedway 7.00-16. Here goes why:

Apart from the obvious reasons like the quality of tyres, cost etc. There is one more thing that will have an bearing on this decision and that is ride quality. The MRF 6.00-16 are 6 Ply rated tyres and hence lighter and softer than Speedway 7.00-16s which are 8 Ply tyres. So as per my opinion You will have a more bumpier ride driving on the speedway tyres. Also more weight means more power to make the tyres roll and hence more fuel consumption. Although the drop in mileage can be negligible since the overall gear ratio will be changed due to increased tyre size. Another factor to keep in mind will be body roll with increase in ground clearance. As the Jeep will sit about an inch higher than its normal clearance, this will also have a bearing on the handling of the Jeep on turns and high speed. Increased weight on the wheel hubs (Un-hung weight of the tyres) will also take it toll on steering linkages and wheel bearings etc.

Well all this is theory that I have learnt over the time. Somebody with practical experience of using larger or heavier tyres on a SWB Jeep will be able to help us out in this regard. Kaka (UBS) you have used 7.00-16 on 8181( The Great Arc Recce Jeep), Please enlighten us on the subject.

regards
Old 9th October 2009, 11:38   #103
BHPian

Hello Jasvinder, Harjeev and Sharat,

This is a good theory to be understood, and one should finalise about the wheel size based on a few findings.

1. 7.00-16 would increase the diameter by 2 inches, resulting in an increase of approx 6 inches in the circumference of the wheel.
2. 6-7 inches of extra coverage per turn as opposed to 84in. (6.00-16) results to approx 8% of increased speed as well as 8% of power loss.
3. For a light jeep this is negligble stuff.
4. American CJ3Bs early ones came with 7.00-15 tyres with stock 8/43 tail/crowns.
5. If the speed increase ( by bigger wheels or lower axle ratios) is an issue, then the power loss should also be considered, and that is easily regained by implanting a 4 forward KMT90 gearbox, where the first gear drops to nearly 4:1.

Our 8181 had 7.00-16 (Jonga's) BKT NDMS nylon as we were running a very high torque low rpm diesel motor, It was on unknown terrain with no roads, so we wanted some extra speed, ground clearance and some extra rubber to ride on the thorny bushes. The tyres are 8 ply rated and very smooth and soft. One more reason being 4.5 inches rims, which bloated the tyres more.
There is no major issue of tyre rubbing against the springs or so.
I have no idea about the quality of the local tyres, and am made to understand that they sell well for LCVs with more layers or ply.

Looking forward to more discoveries and Harjeev those Taiwan made 7.00-16 NDMS nylon tyres we saw at Mayapuri were brilliant. Why don't you import a container for all of us here. We can all pool in and generate some funds.

All the best and with you always.................. UBS
Old 9th October 2009, 11:52   #104
BHPian

Hello U.B.Singh,
Read your narrative and explanations about the ongoing debate on 6.16 versus 7.16. The first thing which helped me was the dimension...up till this point of time i was assuming 6.16 to be 6" tread width and 16"rim diameter. If 6" is the side wall height then what is the tread width in these tyres i.e. both 6.16 and 7.16. Actually i was only looking for wider tyres with the same side wall height for my 3B. In case the tread width is the same in both these tyres then i would prefer going in for the 6.16 NDMS.

Regards,
atul
Old 10th October 2009, 06:49   #105
BHPian

hello ubs sir,
pleasure to see u in in the discussion .
as per what u had explained me , the more the side wall hieght more the speed , ie. per rotation of the propellar shaft , the tyre moves a longer distance by virtue of increased circumfrence, so why does that translate into more load for the engine as u mentioned in ur post?
also with a more toquey engine, bigger tyres would suit better..am i correct?
when and why did the 3b tyres change 6"16 if the american 3b initially came with 7" rubber?

one more question sir,off topic, if the jet size is decreased , as u sugested to 127.5 then would timing be the only reason of the jeep spluttering or would there be other parameters too that would need a look in ? and can a float level change of the carb be a reason of poor fuel efficeincy?

thanks

sharat

Most Viewed