Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 01:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
I dont think Vitara ever sold in India? I see a lot of Vitara's in Uk and some of them look brand new.

Parm, GV is the right size for India, wonder what you mean?
you are correct, vitara never was introduced in india!

by right size of GV i meant the size of the vehicle when compared to biggies like Endeavor and fortuner, pajero etc.

GV has the right size in terms of the interior space and its compactness being a 4x4 (SUV for yankies)!
Old 17th September 2009, 10:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My car has a little glitch that is being addressed - the coolant expansion bottle sited next to the radiator leaks a dribble of coolant from the cap. Maruti is still scratching its head, at first the air hole in the cap was blocked, that was opened, but the coolant still dribbles out of the white cap. In your car, does the bottle cap that is a snap fit on the coolant bottle have any more rubber or some other O ring kind of a thing to make it leakproof? Mine doesn't, though of course, that could be irrelevant.
Looked under the hood again and guess what? Saw little green droplets splashed about. So same problem here as well. I have to take it back to the dealership for them to change the broken side view mirror (it came that way). I'll have them look at that as well.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

My dealer has ordered a new bottle. As a workaround, I have used thread sealant tape on the neck and then fitted the bottle cap on - that has stopped the coolant from getting out of the bottle. I suspect that an O ring is missing on the cap.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Jeepster,
I still run my Gypsy with stock tyres. You think Yokohama make a lot of deference?
My Gypsy have'nt got the matel thing standing up on the middle of the bonnet, I wonder what is that for?
Thanks Mate! Regarding the Geolanders, I think they do make a lot of difference. The traction was good on wet roads and they offered very good control on mud as well. They are fairly quiet on tarmac, so thats a plus.

Though they do tend to amplify the effect of every contour on the road on bad roads, I found the overall ride quality and handling on the highway palpably improved as soon as I switched over. This is what I can offer with my limited experience with these, but so far i'm happy!

Regarding the metal thingie, guess Sha already answered that one for you.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:06   #50
BHPian

Thank you Jeepster,
Now me too thinking about to change the tyre before I take my Gypsy for next long trip.
Your family find it comfortable with back seats of your gypsy?
My family didnt like travelling on Gypsy with a two year old child so I hardly use my Gypsy for family trip.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:31   #51
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Jeepster,
Now me too thinking about to change the tyre before I take my Gypsy for next long trip.
My family didnt like travelling on Gypsy with a two year old child so I hardly use my Gypsy for family trip.
Change the tyres to Geo's it make difference, I have driven around 26K with many OTR's and highway drive still 60-70% thread left and the drive is comfortable.
It's not only your family mine family too never sit in Gypsy.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Jeepster,
Nope, not a family ride in its stock avatar. In fact I just travelled to Rohtang and back to Delhi with family and it took a lot of self restraint on my part to resist the temptation of taking the Gypsy there. We had a 5 year old kid and a family member with some back issues, a few test drives in the city and it was very clear that Gypsy would not be suitable for the family, so left it behind. Plus, dust, water & grime will invariably find its way in, which may not be good for a very small child.

But composite fibre leaf springs in the rear suspension do appear to substantially improve ride quality from what I've read. I saw some comparative road test data b/w the stock and composite fibre leaf springs which were very impressive. Will try to find it and post the link here.
Old 18th September 2009, 02:04   #53
BHPian

Jeepster, Sha,
I read several places about changing the stock front seats from gypsy and the idea of putting suitable seats from other vehicles in order to achieve better comfort.
Are you thinking in that direction?
Stock gypsy does not come with left side mirror.I think it is quite importent to have. Any solution?
Old 18th September 2009, 06:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

I do not think that a change in seats will make a huge difference - the OE seats are pretty good actually. The suspension driven ride issues are too strong to be sorted out by just a change in seats.
One thing that does improve the ride is ballast at the back, three or four 50 kilo bags of sand should do it. The other is CF leaf springs. My one concern on that is it will result in warranty issues. But I think I will look to install a set at the rear to start and see how it goes.
It is very important to have a left side mirror in the way traffic moves today. I am looking to install a new set, with a larger convex reflector on both side, the OE mirror is very inadequate.
PS: Could any Gypsy owners that have added a Jerry can carrier at the back, post close up pictures of how it has been fabricated/fixed? Given the small tank in the car, I am sure that a 20 litre addition will be necessary for a Ladakh drive. Thanks!

Last edited by Sawyer : 18th September 2009 at 06:56.
Old 18th September 2009, 07:07   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jeepster, Sha,
I read several places about changing the stock front seats from gypsy and the idea of putting suitable seats from other vehicles in order to achieve better comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I do not think that a change in seats will make a huge difference - the OE seats are pretty good actually.
Never been a Gypsy owner but have drive them substantially. If you are considering changing the stock seats look at the option of putting "rally" seats.

These have deep bucket and so once you sit they support you a lot from side to side moment including the back. Depending on your inclination you add four point seat belts. You can add foam as per need.

Negative is that these are non-reclinable.
Old 19th September 2009, 10:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Jeepster, Sha,
Stock gypsy does not come with left side mirror.I think it is quite importent to have. Any solution?
Hey gonewithwind,
I have changed my seats to esteem seats ... they are quite comfortable and larger (wider) than stock gypsy seats.
No issues in the swap.

Cheers
GB
Old 19th September 2009, 16:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Jeepster, Sha,
I tend to agree with Sawyer, that changing the seats alone will not help the cause of greater riding comfort. If you want greater riding comfort a change over to composite fibre leaf springs in the rear is recommended by many senior BHPians on this forum who have tried it. The seat changeover can then add a certain degree to the comfort but on its own its not good enough.

Check this link out. May find it helpful

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html
Old 19th September 2009, 19:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Jeepster, Sha,
Yes, this is something I need to address as well. The side view mirror that came with my gypsy was broken to start with. Each time I tried adjusting it, it would come off. Need to get a new pair - one for each side, and not the stock type as they are very very basic.

(1). Can anyone recommend any which would minimise/ obviate blind corners?
(2). Also, has anyone had any issues with the mechanical speedometer of the Gypsy not showing the correct speed?
Old 20th September 2009, 00:17   #59
BHPian

You cannot buy mirror for the left side from Maruti because they dont make it. You might be able to buy an after market pair of mirror, then you may have to make new holes on the doors to fix them. That is what stopping me to put mirrors on both side.
Is there any other solution?
Old 20th September 2009, 06:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

I installed a mirror set yesterday - the OE Bolero ones. They have a large convex mirror surface and work well. On the driver's side, an extra hole is to be drilled to accomodate the two screw installation. A hole remains open and visible, that needs to be closed, I did that with the screw of the OE mirror. On the passenger side, two holes have to be drilled. The mirrors look neat, work well, and don't extend out in the path of other traffic, leaving the effective width of the car unchanged. And now I feel a lot better driving the car in traffic - and while reversing it.
A better seat by itself will just hold you better while you get thrown around! Functional, but not more comfortable, is my guess. I will stick to the OE seats until they get worn out, and I think that with an upgraded suspension, they will work pretty well for other than full on rallying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks