Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 21:48   #91
Senior - BHPian

It is not a terrain cruncher, it is too lightweight to be that. The heavier SUVs such as the Endys/Pajeros hammer the terrain down with their weight at speed and give you a ride that is a lot more comfortable than the Gypsy. On the other hand, the light weight allows it to ride over terrain without getting bogged down, but in doing that, it does not spare the people inside the car either. But that said, it makes for a great 2nd/3rd car to do the road less travelled thing.
Even the stock car can go wherever the expensive 4x4s can, with ease, and where most cannot.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:48   #92
Senior - BHPian

How abt adding a leaf spring to the gypsy with Innova seats in the rear?
That would be more like a family 4x4.

Sounds weired is it? Hope my wife is not listening to me.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:50   #93
BHPian

Jeepster, I visited Apra Auto Gurgaon today afternoon, they are saying I will have to give the complete amount upfront plus a wait period of two months
Old 30th November 2009, 16:07   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
I bought a brand new Jerry Can (5kg)yesterday. Sure it is going to be in use while travelling. I am thinking about the idea of fixing it on the back of Gypsy. Lockable Jerry Can holder is available in the market in London. I dont know door at the back of Gypsy is strong enough to hold the weight of spare wheel and Jerry Can with 20 litre of petrol?

Sha, I have seen on Vijay's Gypsy with Jerry Can on your travelogue.Do you know how Vijay fixed Jerry can on his Gypsy?

[ATTACH]196299[/ATTACH
it isnt strong enough to take this weight.

try and avoid it.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:32   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Jeepster, I visited Apra Auto Gurgaon today afternoon, they are saying I will have to give the complete amount upfront plus a wait period of two months
Really?? I'm very surprised. If you have made up your mind positively about this purchase, do you want me to speak to them? I have a fairly good rapport with these guys and can at least try to help! Let me know
Old 6th December 2009, 19:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster 4x4 View Post
Really?? I'm very surprised. If you have made up your mind positively about this purchase, do you want me to speak to them? I have a fairly good rapport with these guys and can at least try to help! Let me know
Hi Jeepster, thanks very much its really appreciated. I am in the planning phase right now and planning of selling off one of my cars. Only after I sell off one my cars I will be able to purchase the Gypsy. I will let you know when I have all finances ready and ready to dive in .

Cheers mate for your help !
Old 12th January 2010, 12:04   #97
BHPian

Can anyone point me to a good workshop for Gypsy modifications in the Gurgaon area/ within a reasonable radius of Gurgaon. I am looking for someone knowledgeable & experienced in the offroading / rally market and knows what they are doing, have the requisite infrastructure and honest (very important). Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
2 months is not a long time. and I would take these assurances of 2 months with a bucket of salt!

i was told i will get my Gypsy in a month of getting the delivery number. It took 11+ months!
Old 12th January 2010, 12:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone point me to a good workshop for Gypsy modifications in the Gurgaon area/ within a reasonable radius of Gurgaon. I am looking for someone knowledgeable & experienced in the offroading / rally market and knows what they are doing, have the requisite infrastructure and honest (very important). Any pointers would be appreciated.
Why do not you contact Raj Kapoor who is from the organizing team of some rallies too. He is good in preparing vehicle for Off road and rally both.

Check out his latest creation... Zuk

His website is http://www.performanceauto.in/

All the best
Old 12th January 2010, 14:19   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Why do not you contact Raj Kapoor who is from the organizing team of some rallies too. He is good in preparing vehicle for Off road and rally both.....
Yeah Raj Kapoor is known for Gypsy modifications for rallien n sorts. If you 've enough money offcourse this is a good place. What i 've heard Arjun's Zuk project stands somewhere around 12-14L including the cost of a new gypsy...!!
Old 12th January 2010, 14:50   #101
BHPian

Guys,

Over the last one year, I have realized that there are not many mechanics who understand Gypsys inside out. Even the MSA mechanics are good for regular work only. Ditto for ready-availability of parts there.

After getting the initial work at Mayapuri (very experienced mechanics for Gypsy, most of parts available readily, fast & low cost repairs, very sub-standard & unreliable work), I took my vehicle to Maruti Service Masters (did an okay job, regular work only, not interested in modifications due to turn-over pressure, had to wait 18 days for various parts). Next came the Mahindra First Choise (Mr. Kashyap), again, parts availability & Gypsy-specific expertise was missing (though, no one can match his technical knowledge of MM).

Now, I have been referred to Motor Craft (MSA) where a fellow Gypsy veteran Rahul is a GM. His knowledge of Gypsy (for offroading & Rally) is very good. Hope this is my final destination!

So far, his work on modification of my Carb has yielded amazing results. I am also getting my engine re-done there. He is also part of Northern Motorsport (Desert Storm/ Mr. Raj Kapoor).

Cheers!

ashish
Old 13th January 2010, 19:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Guys,

Over the last one year, I have realized that there are not many mechanics who understand Gypsys inside out. Even the MSA mechanics are good for regular work only. Ditto for ready-availability of parts there.

After getting the initial work at Mayapuri (very experienced mechanics for Gypsy, most of parts available readily, fast & low cost repairs, very sub-standard & unreliable work), I took my vehicle to Maruti Service Masters (did an okay job, regular work only, not interested in modifications due to turn-over pressure, had to wait 18 days for various parts). Next came the Mahindra First Choise (Mr. Kashyap), again, parts availability & Gypsy-specific expertise was missing (though, no one can match his technical knowledge of MM).

Now, I have been referred to Motor Craft (MSA) where a fellow Gypsy veteran Rahul is a GM. His knowledge of Gypsy (for offroading & Rally) is very good. Hope this is my final destination!

So far, his work on modification of my Carb has yielded amazing results. I am also getting my engine re-done there. He is also part of Northern Motorsport (Desert Storm/ Mr. Raj Kapoor).

Cheers!

ashish
Ashish, You said it bro. There are very few mechanics who understand Gypsy very well. And when it comes to perfomance mods they are even fewer in numbers.
Why do you think I came all the way to Delhi from Kerala (read 2700 kilometer) to get my Gypsy done by Raj Kapoor.

Cheers
Shibu
Old 14th January 2010, 09:06   #103

with you. I have been facing the same issue for almost a year now. I am off the opinion that the gypsy owners like us learn the art of servicing the beast. As gypsy is not a regular vehicle at the mechanics workshops, I think, they neglect gaining considerable knowledge on it and with time loose the touch. Also, it’s very important to have a mechanic in the approachable limit of your residence (and you need to be GOOD friends with him ) to accomplish the above suggested and practice the art to become a champ yourself.

I seriously discourage paying a fortune for something as simple as an oil change which these mechanics (who have limited knowledge) ask for the job. Funda is simple...if I love my 4x4... i should know how to take good care of it. Another benefit of knowing the art yourself is getting the job done with min effort spent on explaining the Mechanic what's wrong.... hope you understand what i mean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Ashish, You said it bro. There are very few mechanics who understand Gypsy very well. And when it comes to perfomance mods they are even fewer in numbers.
Why do you think I came all the way to Delhi from Kerala (read 2700 kilometer) to get my Gypsy done by Raj Kapoor.

Cheers
Shibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Guys,

Cheers!

ashish
Old 14th January 2010, 10:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Why do not you contact Raj Kapoor who is from the organizing team of some rallies too. He is good in preparing vehicle for Off road and rally both.

His website is http://www.performanceauto.in/

All the best
I have no doubt that Performance Auto is going to be my best bet for major performance / safety related mods. In fact, my Gypsy is lying there right now for the first round of its transformation. Incidentally, I also had the pleasure of scrutinizing the Zuk up close when I visited their workshop about a week or so back. It was love at first sight. Very impressive. I didn't realise that it was a brand new gypsy modified as such because as far as I could see, nothing apart from the body shell was stock. Even the suspension was coil spring.

My previous comment was only to identify a good STRICTLY BACKUP workshop closer to home (Gurgaon) for the small stuff because I get the distinct impression that most 'normal' workshops don't quite know what to do with a Gypsy. Even putting simple things like adequate mud flaps requires a bit of out of box thinking and they are usually at a loss with even comprehending whats required.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no doubt that Performance Auto is going to be my best bet for major performance / safety related mods. In fact, my Gypsy is lying there right now for the first round of its transformation. Incidentally, I also had the pleasure of scrutinizing the Zuk up close when I visited their workshop about a week or so back. It was love at first sight. Very impressive. I didn't realise that it was a brand new gypsy modified as such because as far as I could see, nothing apart from the body shell was stock. Even the suspension was coil spring.

My previous comment was only to identify a good STRICTLY BACKUP workshop closer to home (Gurgaon) for the small stuff because I get the distinct impression that most 'normal' workshops don't quite know what to do with a Gypsy. Even putting simple things like adequate mud flaps requires a bit of out of box thinking and they are usually at a loss with even comprehending whats required.
I would say that the body tub is stock. Apart from that quite a few body panels etc are made of fiber to reduce the weight!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks