Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 18:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thats an exhaustive plan of mods you intend. Lovely color.
Old 1st September 2009, 18:43   #32
BHPian

Congrats Rossi!! Priced a little bit higher but overall a good deal. As you have mentioned it fly's like a rocket, so the engine has to be in good shape. Except for the dash board and steering, interiors are okay.

For Gypsy King owners manual check with "satan". You can PM him.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:56   #33
BHPian

@ Beejay: Thanks!
@ Funkydude: Thanks, I get remembered about the story of the Queens necklace! Satan is my neighbourhood buddy & has been of great help! wonder how I forgot to ask him about that!

@ Jaggu: Honoured by your post on my thread!

Head's already ported polished, valves grinded a wee bit all gaskets changed & replaced! Free flow being done as I write this
Going to be a tough call between BFG's & Micheliens (like the tread pattern of BFG's).
Didnt want anything specific from the manual, just that I generally take my cars & bikes to unknown destinations once in a while (alone) when I am in the mood, so just wanted to stay prepared for any evantualities.

Wife wants the Hard top to stay, kiddies want it knocked down & so do I, but in the end you know a man generally chooses to be happy & not right ha ha ha!
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

@Rossi - I too have a question posted about the Michelin Latitude Cross terrains. It is a very new product globally, and ought to be great, but no one seems to have used them yet.
I am looking forward to hearing about the CFL experience after you get to check them out.
I have a new Gypsy on the way, and the old car I drove to get to know the user interfaces was not well maintained. And had tubed tyres. It started pitching back and forth at the smell of a bump on the road. While I am sure the new car will be a lot better, I can see that I will have to see if I can make the ride a little more supple than what it is as built.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:44   #35
BHPian

Hi Swayer,
I have read most of your threads & really like them.
Trust me the new Gypsy will still have the Bone-jarring ride & the new leaf springs are of very inferior quality than the old ones, thats what a few of my friends have said that they even break off at times or bend the other way very soon!

I just drove on the CFL's yesterday & was extremely impressed with the way the car behaved on road, especially on tight corners & the smoothness in the rides was amazing. I will order the front ones as well most certainly... just that there is no feedback on the way they behave on OTRs thats holding me back. If interested I can give you the contact details of the manufacturer, you can also go on the ir website which is mentioned in my first post on this thread.
W.r.t Michelies, most probably I shall go in for them...
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Rossi - glad you like them!
Did you just order the rear set by phone? It looks like they are just a direct replacement for the OE, so the installation should not be very time consuming either, and it looks like it is a one piece spring. What is the cost of the pair for the rear?
Please do keep posting feedback about this, including what you decide about the front set. It looks like this is one mod that will make a big difference to the car in what is its weakest area now. All seems to be too good to be true, that it can be fixed so easily!
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

If you have noticed our khan has the same on his spidey, rear springs. He is quite happy with the performance and you can PM him if you need more info.
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu - I know, the current latest post on that thread is mine too!
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:46   #39
BHPian

Ok, on Jaggus advise (notice how I have put the cannon on his shoulder), I have PM'ed Khan Sahab, will await for his feedback!. Though Dr Nano himself claims that the front ones are 100 times stronger & better than the original leafs!
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

I don't know enough about this, but all the same - are the OEs a pack made of more than one leaf? The composite set looks like one piece, is it?. I know the owner says the 100 times stronger stuff, but if it breaks and is just one piece, what does that mean compared to one leaf in a pack breaking? Particularly on the front end, at speeds, will this cause one to lose control of the car? At the rear, I would not worry as much as in the front.

Last edited by Sawyer : 2nd September 2009 at 15:55.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:02   #41
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The composite set looks like one piece, is it?. I know the owner says the 100 times stronger stuff, but if it breaks and is just one piece, what does that mean compared to one leaf in a pack breaking? Particularly on the front end, at speeds, will this cause one to lose control of the car? At the rear, I would not worry as much as in the front.
CL will not break in to two piece but it will crack.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:06   #42
Team-BHP Support

And OE is multiple pieces, so yes technically you have a limp home mode. Most often more than the leafs the U clamps and welds give away first, leafs are more affected by overloading, especially while running on lesser number of leafs.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

So you guys see no safety issues in moving to a single piece CF leaf in front, in lieu of the OE set up?
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
So you guys see no safety issues in moving to a single piece CF leaf in front, in lieu of the OE set up?
The CFL @ front has NOT been tested in real world by people that I know of as yet. At the rear they work like a charm -- can safely go for them.

I heard that the company is now ready and confident of CFL @ front and I also heard that someone in Bangalore has put them on his his Gypsy yesterday at the front :-) So will wait for his feedback.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ok, thanks! I will do the rear conversion, and keep the OE sets as standby at home. For the fronts, wiser heads than mine may please also consider the safety aspect of the CFL on highways, if they give way. The car should not become more unsafe that what it is with the OE set up, that is all one looks for. I also do not worry about them giving way in an OTR environment, where it would probably be just an inconvenience.
And if the rear breaks even on a highway, I can't see loss of control resulting from that.

Most Viewed