Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 13:21   #1
BHPian

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications

After hunting & searching for a good pre-owned King for almost a year, found one & bought it about 15 days back.
It’s a Y2K model MPFI Gypsy King driven for 37756 kms, belonging to a director of a large Indian conglomerate, used by him for his photographing expeditions. Picked it up for 2.1 Lacs.
Has a hard top which is body coloured (green), Decent interiors, good pick-up, Fully functional, though a tad hard, 4x4 gear after market Air conditioning system (sanden), without condenser & not properly fitted. Music system (without the mouth of the deck) All leaf spings need to be replaced. The starter motor is supported with a Bosh cutout. Headlamps are weak. Radiator is of 2 layers & is filled with M-seal. Tyre treads are worn out. Looks like the car has not been used & serviced for long. Even the petrol was smelling stale.
Despite of all the above, the vehicle fly’s like a rocket!

Doing up the king for 80% on road & 20% Off-road.

As I write things that I plan to do, please keep in mind that I am not an expert in automobile engineering but an automobile enthusiast, hence would request you all for your suggestions & guidance.

The jobs will be carried out in phases;

Phase 1:
The following jobs are being carried out:
  • Changing of all oils & Filters (stock filters, oil: Mobil 1) Will be flushing the oil before filling up new.
  • Wiper arms & blade
  • LHS mirror
  • Starter motor repair/replacement
  • Radiator replacement (3 layers)
  • Head, porting & Polishing & FFE system from the header.
  • Head lamp replacement with new OE Lamps & re-wiring for 100/130 lights
  • Have bought 2 Hella 1000 lamps (original German) & 2 Lumax fog lamps & a small Lumax lamp for the rear(reversing only). All Lumax lamps will have 90/100 bulbs.
  • RPM meter
  • Steble 3 trumpet pressure horns & roots wind-tone horns.
  • ICE Pioneer basic model (King has 4 speakers fitted J)
Phase 2:
  • Changing of all four suspensions, Rear will be Composite fibre (http://www.drnanoinc.com/suspension-systems.htm); front ones will be the normal ones.
  • Tyres to be replaced by BFG 215/75/R15 (Michelin LTX AT would have been the first choice in this size, but are not available) on stock rims.
  • A/C system overhauling
Will be hosting Pictures soon to do the talking!
Rossi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2009, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new purchase

I feel you paid a little bit high for the state you mentioned, should heva been brought down a bit.

Nither Phase one nor phase two has a tyre change. Keeping the worn out tyres as of now? I recomend change the tyres after suspension change.

Please do post pics of the King

Pramod
Old 25th August 2009, 14:20   #3
BHPian

Congradulations buddy on finding a Gypsy that's run 37k in 8+ years.
Pictures would be appreciated.
All the best with your restoration project.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Thanks Pramod. This was auctioned & I had re-bid 3 times!
In Phase 2 The King has Suspension overhaul Tyre change & A/C overhaul
Old 25th August 2009, 15:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have this dream inside me to get a gypsy, the civilian market is flooded with gypsis which are quoted obscene prices. I have a plan to go back to delhi next year where my parents are, pickup a gypsy from mayapuri. Make it road worthy and drive it down to kerala. Then do it up completly. Dreams are dream.

Pramod
Old 25th August 2009, 15:34   #6
BHPian

@Sathyagith: Thanks buddy, unable to lower the resolutions... trying to do the same & post
@ Pramod: Live your dreams! None of the good quality Gypsys are being sold @ less than 2.7 Lacs overe here. About the Mayapuri idea, a lot of fellow BHPians have done that & are sucessful with it! Go ahead, unleash your Gypsy side!
Old 25th August 2009, 17:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Congrats for your new purchase

I feel you paid a little bit high for the state you mentioned, should heva been brought down a bit.

Nither Phase one nor phase two has a tyre change. Keeping the worn out tyres as of now? I recomend change the tyres after suspension change.

Please do post pics of the King

Pramod
dude you didnt read phase two properly!

congrats to rossi for his purchase and im sure you paid a good amount on thats gypsy, its a good deal! will wait for the upgrades and progress made on the phase 1 &2 with photos!

one more thing
Attached Images

Old 25th August 2009, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
After hunting & searching for a good pre-owned King for almost a year, found one & bought it about 15 days back.
It’s a Y2K model MPFI Gypsy King driven for 37756 kms, belonging to a director of a large Indian conglomerate, used by him for his photographing expeditions. Picked it up for 2.1 Lacs.
Rossi, Congrats on your new ride and the I think the price is also good for a running condition MPFI king.

Quote:
Tyre treads are worn out. Looks like the car has not been used & serviced for long. Even the petrol was smelling stale.
Just 2 suggestions here

1) Change your tyres asap even if you dont get the brand of your choice.
2) Bleed the entire fuel system, clean the fuel tank and check for rusting inside.

Quote:
Despite of all the above, the vehicle fly’s like a rocket!
This is very good sign and that means less money for restoration

Quote:
As I write things that I plan to do, please keep in mind that I am not an expert in automobile engineering but an automobile enthusiast, hence would request you all for your suggestions & guidance.
Dont worry we have a bunch of Gypsy experts here and I am sure they will take care of all your queries.

Quote:
Will be hosting Pictures soon to do the talking!
Eagerly waiting for the pics.

Jeep Captain with a "Gypsy Heart"
Old 25th August 2009, 22:55   #9
BHPian

@Param: Thanks! & Loved your last line!
@Jeep Captain: Thanks for the suggestions & also for boosting my confidence!
Old 25th August 2009, 23:01   #10
BHPian

OK, Got the news this evening from my garrage that the fuel system has been flushed & the injectors have come back from cleaning. Awaiting the irridium plugs
Also the head has come back from porting & polishing along with some valve settings, fitting begins tomorrow morning.
The composite fiber suspension has been despatched from Dr Nanos (Suspension Systems,Ceiling Suspension Systems,Wheel Suspension System,Manufacturer,India) from Ichhal karanji & will be picked up by me from the courier tomorrow evening.
Will keep the post updated.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:30   #11
BHPian

Installation of the head is happening, Work has started on the FFE, the CFL suspension has been picked up from the courier office, Bosch irridium spark plugs are being fitted (couldnt get the walters that I have on my swift :( )

Somehow not being able to reduce the size of my pics to post, trying to do it thru photoshop. Have requested a colleague to do it for me...
Old 26th August 2009, 21:31   #12
BANNED

Quote:
OK, Got the news this evening from my garrage that the fuel system has been flushed & the injectors have come back from cleaning. Awaiting the irridium plugs
Also the head has come back from porting & polishing along with some valve settings, fitting begins tomorrow morning.
The composite fiber suspension has been despatched from Dr Nanos (Suspension Systems,Ceiling Suspension Systems,Wheel Suspension System,Manufacturer,India) from Ichhal karanji & will be picked up by me from the courier tomorrow evening.
Will keep the post updated.
Man first of all congrats!!!

Secondly from reading your posts ,it doesnt look like you are a lay man with respect to automobile (like you said in the 1st post)

Pictures
Old 26th August 2009, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Way to go! Congrats buddy! Waiting for the pics now..
Try to get as much done to the Gypsy (not going overboard though) now, so you don't have issues later. A full fuel system treatment, and replacing anything that has been giving problems.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:07   #14
BHPian

@Joshguy: Thanks buddy. Whatever I have aquired in terms of knowledge is from the discussions on this site only... I speak this language to my friend cum mechanic (who is an automobile engineer himself) whos doing up my car & it surprises him too! . The CFL suspension has floored him :P

@ Nitin: Thanks! Getting almost everything done... & I think I am going a little bit over board... but its gonna be worth the cost
Old 27th August 2009, 12:29   #15
BHPian

Allright, Now for the pics Finally!
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05678.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05676.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05664.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05668.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05669.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05681.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05688.jpg  

My Gypsy King 2000, restoration & basic modifications-dsc05689.jpg