Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mm 500?

Guys,

I was looking at Mahindra Military vehicle site and found Mahindra got MM500XDB vehicle with opentop and XD3P engine, though the page content talks about MM550 but the picture shows some vehicle like opentop bolero. Anyone got more information about this vehicle in the url below:

Mahindra Corporate
Old 27th August 2009, 15:06   #2
BHPian

MM550 on Bolero/Invader Platform

Hi Siva,

I think the pic shows the MM550 replacement which is based on MM Bolero/ Invader platform.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

MM500XDB Data

Websites change over years. Data posted here is from M&M website (for posterity)...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mahindra MM550XDB Soft-top, a 4X4, is the mainstream vehicle of the Indian Army, in the 500-kg. class. Over 12000 of these are used to carry troops, weapons and act as a reconnaissance vehicle. Now, with the new generation chassis and suspension,
compliant with the BS-II norms and other user-friendly changes, this vehicle performs extremely well on difficult terrain. What makes it even more advantageous is its operational cost, which is significantly lower than any petrol vehicle. The features are as follows:
•XD3P diesel engine developing 46 kW @ 4500 rpm.
•High mobility, rugged, all-terrain vehicle •Quick start automatic heater plug for easy start in sub-zero temperature conditions•Greater payload - 650 kgs. •Durable metal sheet body and metal bumpers•Ideal for conversion to weapon platform for LMG, MMG, ATGM and AGL
---------------------
Blow up Picture

Mm 500?-550xdb.jpg
Old 27th August 2009, 15:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Hi Siva,

I think the pic shows the MM550 replacement which is based on MM Bolero/ Invader platform.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Though the text says its MM550, the image is actually of Mahindra Striker based on Bolero Invader platform. Here are some pics. Search for Striker elsewhere on the forum, I recollect a thread which had some details about it.

Old 27th August 2009, 19:17   #5

This looks like an MM550 platform. Only the front is changed to that of Bolero. definitly not on the Invader platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Though the text says its MM550, the image is actually of Mahindra Striker based on Bolero Invader platform. Here are some pics. Search for Striker elsewhere on the forum, I recollect a thread which had some details about it.

Old 27th August 2009, 21:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

This looks like a good offroader, The wheel base and the GC looks good and I hope the power plant too, will Mahindra sell them out for civilians ?
What are the specs?
Old 28th August 2009, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Siva,
Dont go by M&M site. MM500 could be a typo error. This is basically a vehicle from Mahindra Defense system and they show it in various defense expo for orders as this is a big market domestically and abroad.

The vehicle in picture seems to be old as it has BA 10 gear box with brog warner manual shift transfer case. I think M&M has stopped using BA 10 long ago. ISUZU gearbox (HMX) was used as a stop gap arrangement. Another observation- If you see the silencer routing, it goes below chassis and is prone to damage in off road conditions.There have been many situations where i sat on chassis just after the front wheels. This vehicle will suffer immediate silencer damage in such cases. Also observe the positioning of gearbox cross member, way behind the KMT 90 position. Reduces break over angle. This is the precise reason why devi's MM550 XDB sits on its gearbox more often than others over a sharp hump.

All this still proves old is gold. However the best off roader from M&M ever made would be MM550 XDB NGCS Army with KMT-90. It has best of both worlds

p.s- engine and drive train specs of this vehicle is same as that of your reworked classic:-))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 28th August 2009 at 12:05. Reason: Old wine in new bottle!
Old 28th August 2009, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Striker aka Facelifted MM550XD

Hi Guys,

The Striker is a NGCS MM550XD with a new Firewall and Bonnet.

This is because of the Indian Army opting for BSIII norms, which not only regulate emission but also safety features like
1) FRP Hard Top
2) Enclosed Cabin not something any Army prefers.
3) Crumple Zone - hence the reworked facia and bumper.

Notice the side pic, MM550XD B-Pillar and Door Cut-out.

The Engine maybe MDI3200TC with NGT530 4WD.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Army MM550 are designated as MM550XD with 4 speed KMT90 or HM Isuzu 5spd 4WD; XDB is indication of BA10 5speed gearbox.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

The Striker is a NGCS MM550XD with a new Firewall and Bonnet.

This is because of the Indian Army opting for BSIII norms, which not only regulate emission but also safety features like
1) FRP Hard Top
2) Enclosed Cabin not something any Army prefers.
3) Crumple Zone - hence the reworked facia and bumper.

Notice the side pic, MM550XD B-Pillar and Door Cut-out.

The Engine maybe MDI3200TC with NGT530 4WD.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Army MM550 are designated as MM550XD with 4 speed KMT90 or HM Isuzu 5spd 4WD; XDB is indication of BA10 5speed gearbox.
Arka,
You are right about BSIII requirements. Has Army already adopted 5 speed gearbox with XD3p engine? Is the engine finalised for Army 550 xd? Moslty as you said it would be MDI3200 TC as they dont have any other dead cheap engine with them that is BSIII compliant. Interesting things would be to see power ratings and inclusions/ exclusion of oil cooler. Striker displayed in another auto expo had IFS with Invader rear and round lamps with Bolero front end. SInce it was IFS it may also have Crde engine. You may never know!

P.S- Seriously waiting to lay my hands on Army MM550 XD!
Attached Thumbnails
Mm 500?-striker.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 28th August 2009 at 18:51.
Old 28th August 2009, 21:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Arka,
You are right about BSIII requirements. Has Army already adopted 5 speed gearbox with XD3p engine? Is the engine finalised for Army 550 xd? Moslty as you said it would be MDI3200 TC as they dont have any other dead cheap engine with them that is BSIII compliant. Interesting things would be to see power ratings and inclusions/ exclusion of oil cooler. Striker displayed in another auto expo had IFS with Invader rear and round lamps with Bolero front end. SInce it was IFS it may also have Crde engine. You may never know!

P.S- Seriously waiting to lay my hands on Army MM550 XD!

BSIII, IFS, 5spd Gearbox, Good looks, MDI 3200 TC or CRDe excellent combination. The facelift also looks better, the exhaust pipe could be altered to get routed as we may need, but the power plant seems to be good out of whatever available.

Is this vehicle also configured with Lockers or Limited slip on the differential front ?

Anyway of getting them on private order from Mahindra ? Will Mahindra come with civilian version of this same vehicle?
Old 28th August 2009, 22:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Anyway of getting them on private order from Mahindra ? Will Mahindra come with civilian version of this same vehicle?
I doubt it. I tried to source a Mahindra legend but they were all sold out by time I heard about it. So I contacted this ex-colonel who runs Mahindra Defence Systems about sourcing an MM540 XDB. He game me some hogwas about how army vehicles are made to custom army requirements and hence not available to civilians. We all know this is not true since:

1) Indian Army auctions their old vehicles to the public.
2) The Mahindra Legend is pretty much a NGCS MM550 with alloys, winch and some other extras.
Old 29th August 2009, 09:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Day dreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
BSIII, IFS, 5spd Gearbox, Good looks, MDI 3200 TC or CRDe excellent combination. The facelift also looks better, the exhaust pipe could be altered to get routed as we may need, but the power plant seems to be good out of whatever available.

Is this vehicle also configured with Lockers or Limited slip on the differential front ?

Siva,
The routing of the exhaust pipe is done keeping engine characteristics and emission requirements into consideration. I think M&M knows the fact that that kind of exhaust system is prone to damage...ditto for other range of M&M vehicles of the late! Hence if you fiddling with exhaust then you are fiddling with torque characterstics also which is prime for pulling power. Hence not recommended.

This vehicle may have LSD at rear thats it. some how manufacturers dont prefer LSD in front. Plus if they do then they will have to put p/s as it makes steering tough and add freewheeling hub. If an Army guy forgets to unlock after he gets on to tarmac then he will break his axle. Hence too much of hasseles and cost involved. Automatic hub lock unlock will provide the solution but costly again

providing new millitary specs vehicle to civillians is not possible the world over AFAIK. M&M providing a MM55o nearing ARMY specs in civilian market is like day dreaming. You may have the new 550 in market but it will be like a shortwheelbase Bolero storm 4wd rather than a pakka army 550. For enthusiasts still auction is the only source.
Old 29th August 2009, 16:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod and all - THIS IS VERY INTERESTING TO READ. PLEASE SEE THE PICTURE IN YOUR THREAD NO 9 VERY CAREFULLY AND COMPARE IT TO THE PICTURES IN THREAD NO 5.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th August 2009, 16:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mr. Behram:

Pictures in No 5 seems to be based on the MM550 platform with a Bolero front and the pics in 9 seems to be the bolero platform with IFS, 4WD and electric hub locks. When can we see this baby in the civilian market? :-). I just hope it doesn't come with the Electric Transfer case.
Old 29th August 2009, 16:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vinod and all - THIS IS VERY INTERESTING TO READ. PLEASE SEE THE PICTURE IN YOUR THREAD NO 9 VERY CAREFULLY AND COMPARE IT TO THE PICTURES IN THREAD NO 5.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

My Heartiest congratulation to the M&M team, they managed to fit the scorpio front end into a 95" Wheel Base, and make it a soft-top.

I'm sure the hardcore 4x4 great escape crowd will be getting sleepless nights.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I hope you have added modern technology like FFRA, A/C, Power-Steering, Anti-Roll Bar, and other sundry.

Most Viewed