Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 17:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
@DKG- B275 engine official top speed is 72 kmph max.
I could never cross 60 kmph on my JEEP even after standing on the accelerator pedal.. Courtesy the B275. That engine runs like a pig on road but it is a mountain goat off-road. The torque at lower rpm comes handy.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 11th September 2009 at 17:03.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Reckon the title needs to be changed to address only classic 4x4's.

Making a post of a 4x4 Safari or a GV does not fall inline with the thread starters thoughts.
Rightly said. Thanks GTO for renaming the title.

Quote:
@Beejay- Your CJ340 has 5.38 ratio. Mahindra classic with 4.88 ratio was tested 95 kmph true top speed. Hence your true top speed should not be more than 85-88 kmph
Must be a speedo error. The needle was stuck at 90. I did not want to push further. As you have said the true speed must have been 75 or 80.

Yet let me tell you that speed on a SWB makes you feel like you are at tremendous speed and not knowing whats going to fall off.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:38   #18
BHPian

My Gypsy did 100 kmph on Kanyakumari- Madurai high way. It was scary beyond 100 on a Gypsy.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

High speed confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
My Gypsy did 100 kmph on Kanyakumari- Madurai high way. It was scary beyond 100 on a Gypsy.
GWW Gypsy MPFi is capable of more than 130 kmph. Gypsy Carburated 60 BHP was tested for 124 in 4th gear and in 5th it was 115 i guess. But it is all about how comfortable are you at that speeds. Believe me Gypsy's are far more controllable then Jeeps and they handle much better at high speeds.

In jeeps high speed confidence is let down by excessive noise, vague steering, poor brakes. To me brakes are my biggest concern! Gypsy's high speed confidence is let down mainly because of ride quality i believe.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:59   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This info is courtesy Behram sir, B275 revs maximum upto 2350 rpm! Hence doesnt feel strained. With 4.27 rear ratio top speed is 72 kmph max. No top speed limiter used here. MDi 3000 and 3200 have better top speeds. I have tested MDI3200 marshal 4wd indicated top speed at 95kmph. 2wd MDI 3200 super touches 100-105 kmph.
Vinod the guy who restored my Jeep kept referring to it as a DI engine. I should take a look at the engine numbers to confirm but a friend who knows a little about Jeeps mentioned its a B275 modified to enable it to start instantly. Frankly I know zilch about this engine so you are probably better advised on what kind of a mod it is they do.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

IDI to DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Vinod the guy who restored my Jeep kept referring to it as a DI engine. I should take a look at the engine numbers to confirm but a friend who knows a little about Jeeps mentioned its a B275 modified to enable it to start instantly. Frankly I know zilch about this engine so you are probably better advised on what kind of a mod it is they do.
Even i have heard stories of even Peugeot engines being convert to Di. So your B275 could have done gone through it. Do you start it without heater? If yes then it is a DI.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GWW Gypsy MPFi is capable of more than 130 kmph. Gypsy Carburated 60 BHP was tested for 124 in 4th gear and in 5th it was 115 i guess. But it is all about how comfortable are you at that speeds. Believe me Gypsy's are far more controllable then Jeeps and they handle much better at high speeds.

In jeeps high speed confidence is let down by excessive noise, vague steering, poor brakes. To me brakes are my biggest concern! Gypsy's high speed confidence is let down mainly because of ride quality i believe.
Even I think the same. In terms of ride comfort I think the Gypsy would be way better than a SWB. At least you feel nothing falls off when you do moderate speeds on a Gypsy.
MDI jeeps are quite fast, I am sure they do more than 100, however stability would be a serious concern, the same applies to the Invader Di. That thing flies, you brake hard and your dead meat.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Even I think the same. In terms of ride comfort I think the Gypsy would be way better than a SWB. At least you feel nothing falls off when you do moderate speeds on a Gypsy.
MDI jeeps are quite fast, I am sure they do more than 100, however stability would be a serious concern, the same applies to the Invader Di. That thing flies, you brake hard and your dead meat.
Mahindra Di jeeps (turbo especially) are faster due to higher low end torque and lower rear axle ratio of 3.73 and 4.27 in some cases. Their in gear acceleration is better. Even Di 3200 and 3000 feel faster due to lower end torque and relaxed engine manners due to thier low reving nature.

MDI turbo engines top speed is - 115 for Bolero 2wd (in gear acceleration much better then XD 3p due to better low end torque and 4.27 ratio ). Also much better NVH characterstics compared to old engines makes you push them harder as you feel engine is not protesting.

I tried keeping pace with a hard accelerating Bolero Turbo, my jeep had to scream its guts out to match it. It was a 2wd Bolero. 4wd jeeps have lower top speed due to transmission losses i believe. Armada 2wd tested against Sumo NA long years ago was tested at top speed of 105 kmph. I doubt if 4wd Armada does as much. Also i feel 2wd MM540's are really quick compared to 4wd ones on road. One can cross 100 kmph easily on a 2wd MM540

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 11th September 2009 at 18:23.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
DKG,
So you sre still using B275 engine in your jeep. When you are converting it to petrol, if you need petrol engine you can PM me.
Now come to topic. It is a very common practice to convert B275 to DI in Central India. You can simply check this feature .
1. There should not be engine heater in vehicle,
2. If it is there, then In Morning start dont use heater and it should start without hiccup.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 11th September 2009, 21:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear Vinod,
Thank you for sharing this information with all of us.
I had a short question regarding the top speed you've mentioned about Gypsy. You say that the top speed in 4 gear is 124 and 115kmph in 5th gear. Why does it come down at a higher gear?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 11th September 2009, 21:48   #26
BHPian

I have 2001 MPFI Gypsy and I am not impressed with highway speeds. I have not taken it to offroad yet as I purchased this late. The max speed I could go was 100 in Gypsy and believe me, I was scared each time the speed increased to over 80 km/hr. I never felt anything with my toyota Hilux. Even the 88 model could go up to 140 km/hr and I would not feel anything. The Hilux had poor drum brakes on rear and front. Toyota Hilux is also a light vehicle, I haven't checked the specs but its much lighter than TLCs and other variants. I guess 1300 cc petrol engine versus 2500 cc diesel engine is the reason why 60-70 km/hr is cruise speed in Gypsy and 100 km/hr in Hilux.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:51   #27
BHPian

Though I have breached the 140 kmph mark(GPS indicated) on more than one occasion in my Gypsy, it feels best when cruising in the 90-100 kmph zone.
Above that the breadbox aerodynamics spoil the plot...

Cheers
Old 11th September 2009, 21:56   #28
BHPian

The aerodynamics of Gypsy is not suited for highway. They should have taken a leaf out of nissan/toyota/mazda pickup aerodynamics books.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:10   #29
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
The aerodynamics of Gypsy is not suited for highway.
That is misconception about Gypsy driving in highway, Driving gypsy between 80-90 is absolute safe only if you cross above this you will get drag force while over taking other than it's gem of vehicle can do both long highway drive and offroading.
Wait for a while the suspension problem is almost solved just it's getting tested.
Almost all rallyist in india use Gypsy.

Last edited by Sha : 11th September 2009 at 22:13.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:16   #30
BHPian

@ Sha, I am not saying its not safe but I dont feel like cruising at 90, I feel like pushing more. It might depend on my driving habit as well. I dont drive the vehilce, the vehicle drives me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks