Comfortable speed : 80 - 90 Km
Gypsy king powered engine
FFE + Universal filter
Old 15th September 2009, 12:12   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
GURKHA : 140 KMPH, which is last speed shown on the speedometer. Achieved on my Trip to Delhi to Pune, just to test the max. speed. Vehicle does not rattles at that speed but I sure was rattling once I saw the speed.

The vehicle is capable of cruising 100+ KMPH through out the day ~ 24 hrs.
+1 to that. The Gurkha is probably the fastest Indian offroader (top speed) and one that's capable of cruising at 100 - 110 all day long. It's highway manners are way better than the CJs & Gypsies.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha is a breeze on road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to that. The Gurkha is probably the fastest Indian offroader (top speed) and one that's capable of cruising at 100 - 110 all day long. It's highway manners are way better than the CJs & Gypsies.
I think Gurkha is the only true 4x4 in which travelling to the 4x4 trail isnt a pain! 150-200 kms which is a pain in Jeep / Gypsy is a breeze in a Gurkha. Ride quality of this vehicle is among the best. Since there are no Invader 4x4 guys here we may be missing the cruiseability of this vehicle. Invader Di turbo is capable of some serious speeds and is good for 90-100 kmph speeds all day long. Again ride quality will not be as good as Gurkha. Further Gurkha being a hard top will have better NVH levels that reduce driver fatigue over long distances and hence capable of higger average speeds.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th September 2009 at 13:56.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
I think Gurkha is the only true 4x4 in which travelling to the 4x4 trail isnt a pain! 150-200 kms which is a pain in Jeep / Gypsy is a breeze in a Gurkha. Ride quality of this vehicle is among the best. Since there are no Invader 4x4 guys here we may be missing the cruiseability of this vehicle. Invader Di turbo is capable of some serious speeds and is good for 90-100 kmph speeds all day long. Again ride quality will not be as good as Gurkha. Further Gurkha being a hard top will have better NVH levels that reduce driver fatigue over long distances and hence capable of higger average speeds.
I have driven an Invader 4x4 from Palakkad to Coimbatore. It was able to attain decent speeds and was much more planted to the ground rather than than 2WD. The tyres were stock. Maybe it was just a feeling, or I guess it might be the weight of the differential.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Suspension matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I have driven an Invader 4x4 from Palakkad to Coimbatore. It was able to attain decent speeds and was much more planted to the ground rather than than 2WD. The tyres were stock. Maybe it was just a feeling, or I guess it might be the weight of the differential.
Beejay,
Your observation is right. The front and rear suspension on Invader 4x4 is better matched than 2wd set up. I have driven 2wd with XD3p and also with Di turbo. Di turbo engine is decisively heavy and shows up on the handling and ride. 4wd suspension is better balanced. However 2 wd XD3p Invader struggled to maintain even 80 -90 kmph!! I remeber old website mentioning its top speed to be just 88kph in comparison to gypsy! Never understood this why, when Bolero could do post 110 kmph

By the way what were the speeds you were cruising?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th September 2009 at 16:20.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:26   #66
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually couldn't figure out why the safari's, pajeros, Endeavour, Fortuner, Scorpio etc are not allowed entry into this elite company of Jeeps, Gurkahas & Gypsy 4X4 off roaders though they too have a ladder frame on body structure.

They maynot be pure off roaders in the sense that they can do more (carry passengers in comfort on highways) bu then they are also not softroaders.

Is the offroad ability of these in serious doubt due to their weight due to the luxury features? Or is in the presence of AC / Hard Top - but then some of the mentioned variants too have it.

Seriously some of these should be able to do decent offroading as well- maybe I am wrong.

Last edited by ACM : 15th September 2009 at 16:28. Reason: typo errors
Old 15th September 2009, 16:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beejay,
Your observation is right. The front and rear suspension on Invader 4x4 is better matched than 2wd set up. I have driven 2wd with XD3p and also with Di turbo. Di turbo engine is decisively heavy and shows up on the handling and ride. 4wd suspension is better balanced. However 2 wd XD3p Invader struggled to maintain even 80 -90 kmph!! I remeber old website mentioning its top speed to be just 88kph in comparison to gypsy! Never understood this why, when Bolero could do post 110 kmph

By the way what were the speeds you were cruising?
I was doing 100. This was an XD3P too. There was so much smoke spewing that the owner told me to get off and let him drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually couldn't figure out why the safari's, pajeros, Endeavour, Fortuner, Scorpio etc are not allowed entry into this elite company of Jeeps, Gurkahas & Gypsy 4X4 off roaders though they too have a ladder frame on body structure.

Is the offroad ability of these in serious doubt due to their weight due to the luxury features? Or is in the presence of AC / Hard Top - but them some of the mentioned variants too have it.

Seriously some of these should be able to do decent offroading as well- maybe I am wrong.
I am sure most of us would agree that them cars mentioned make for some good offroading coupled with more creature comforts. It would not be fair to compare the top speed of a Fortuner with the top speed of a SWB.

We would need to invent a new mechanism to compare these two vehicles.

FYI, a cigarette lighter on a CJ340 is comfort for me. On the Fortuner the same would be, well, what can I say?
Old 15th September 2009, 17:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

I worked 3 years off and on for Dana Corporation in North America as a test driver. My talent was hand eye coordination, an ear for unusual sounds and a willingness to push things passed their limits. I was not, am not, an engineer or mechanic. The job sometimes entailed taking four wheel drive vehicles on prescribed off-road, rough road, courses and testing and measuring their limits. I have often gone off road at speeds of 90-100kph. Granted this was in vehicles that had motors 2 and 3 times bigger than what you find in India. For example, in 4 wheel drive you would go into a sharp 90 degree turn around a pylon at about 60 kph on rough terrain. You would slam on the brakes causing the vehicle to skid. This would free up the front wheels so that you could turn the steering wheel easily. With the front wheels now pointed in somewhat the right direction in a mild skid you would then floor the accelerator causing the front wheels to pull the vehicle around the pylon and curve and snap the rear end around behind. If you were lucky you negotiated the curve. Other things that happened were:

1.) Shredding one or both front tyres, tearing the cords, sidewalls and tread right out of them. Sometimes the rears would go, too. This happened about once every 10 circuits of the 5k course.

2.) Stripping the chassis off the shackles.

3.) Breaking something in the suspension, tie rods etc.

4.) My favorite, breaking an axle and axle assembly right in two. This is dangerous but I live for danger (ha, ha, ha)

Anyway, it was a fun job I had while transitioning from the military to computer work. I got to drive like an idiot off-road and get paid for it, too!

So, there is my off-road speed story. The Ford Bronco in my avatar was a GREAT off-roader, too, and with its 5 liter V-8 it could get up and boogy.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 15th September 2009 at 17:25.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:06   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure most of us would agree that them cars mentioned make for some good offroading coupled with more creature comforts. It would not be fair to compare the top speed of a Fortuner with the top speed of a SWB.

We would need to invent a new mechanism to compare these two vehicles.

FYI, a cigarette lighter on a CJ340 is comfort for me. On the Fortuner the same would be, well, what can I say?
Totally agree, but then it could be qualified with something like,

No Turbo/ Intercooler or Direct Injection Engines, or no company fitted music system, or something else that helps distinguish the two class of vehicles or simply may be no ECU, (Pre ECU & post ECU) 4X4's.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Qualification is vintage Pure 4x4 credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Totally agree, but then it could be qualified with something like,

No Turbo/ Intercooler or Direct Injection Engines, or no company fitted music system, or something else that helps distinguish the two class of vehicles or simply may be no ECU, (Pre ECU & post ECU) 4X4's.
Well you are right to a certain extent, as these were the vehicles that were fit to purpose of pure off roading!! These were not designed for on road cruising like the vehicles you mentioned. The intention of this thread is to find out the other side of these 4x4's as there were no tests conducted when these vehicles and PRE ECU and non Turbo engines existed! This is just to check if their 4x4 has right aggregates working at optimum level as others. Just a matter of comparision!

Modern vehicles do not need real world speeds declaration, every one knows about them, so no fun!! For these vehicles probably how capable is your 4x4 would be apt thread

Dirty Dan- I envy you, you were paid for testing vehicles Off road!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th September 2009 at 17:48.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Invader DI, i covered 2000 kms in three days with some serious offroading (we were on hunt of Wild Elephant in border MP), it is a very comfortable vehicle.
I have achived around 115 kms/hr (indicated by speedometer), but i have driven it all day long at 95-105.

Regards,
Shubhendra SIngh
Old 15th September 2009, 20:51   #72
BHPian

Hunting an elephant on an invader. And on 115 km/hr?.
Hey joking.
Love to know more about your elephant hunt.

Last edited by gonewithwind : 15th September 2009 at 20:54.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Invader 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I have Invader DI, i covered 2000 kms in three days with some serious offroading (we were on hunt of Wild Elephant in border MP), it is a very comfortable vehicle.
I have achived around 115 kms/hr (indicated by speedometer), but i have driven it all day long at 95-105.

Regards,
Shubhendra SIngh
This is one vehicle which is highly underrated due to its limited rear suspension articulation. Please post pics of this vehicle and the serious off roading that you have done. May be those pics can go into all team bhp jeep pics thread!

Elephant hunt? (i presume it was not hunting and killing in real sence) Interesting!! you seem to be Steve Irvine (late Australian famous wild life personality) of team bhp!

BTW what gearbox are you running on Invader DI. 4 speed or 5 speed? Is it a Di turbo?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 16th September 2009 at 10:42.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one vehicle which is highly underrated due to its limited rear suspension articulation. Please post pics of this vehicle and the serious off roading that you have done. May be those pics can go into all team bhp jeep pics thread!

Elephant hunt? (i presume it was not hunting and killing in real sence) Interesting!! you seem to be Steve Irvine (late Australian famous wild life personality) of team bhp!

BTW what gearbox are you running on Invader DI. 4 speed or 5 speed? Is it a Di turbo?
Vinod,
Let me clarify that we were on search of Tuskers. Because during summer time Elephants enter MP for three - four months, we were tracing them, infact we walked around 15-16 kms on hills.
Let me search in my PC for older pics. I had Di without Turbo with 4 speed gear box.

Regards,
SHubhendra SIngh
Old 16th September 2009, 16:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Shubendra SinghJi, if you are in Delhi, please PM your number, would love to meet you.

Shahid

Most Viewed