Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 22:21   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Even i have heard stories of even Peugeot engines being convert to Di. So your B275 could have done gone through it. Do you start it without heater? If yes then it is a DI.
Yes it starts on one tick in an instant. You don't have to wait to heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
DKG,
So you sre still using B275 engine in your jeep. When you are converting it to petrol, if you need petrol engine you can PM me.
Now come to topic. It is a very common practice to convert B275 to DI in Central India. You can simply check this feature .
1. There should not be engine heater in vehicle,
2. If it is there, then In Morning start dont use heater and it should start without hiccup.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
The petrol engine is being overhauled as I didn't want to take chances with something that was sitting around for too long. In a few days it should be ready.

Interestingly with the top off the B275 doesn't irritate me as much. Its also become smoother as I've been driving the Jeep a lot and I guess the highway runs at 70 seem to be smoothening out the rough edges.

But just for the joy of a silent petrol I will switch to the hurricane. I don't mind picking up a spare hurricane and keeping it. The one you have access to, is it in running condition or needs a overhaul. Please PM me the price.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

@starter- The reason for lower top speed in top gear is that engine does not have enough grunt in 5th gear to rev up to its maximum rpm. For example if engine redlines at 5000 rpm then if the engine is not torquey enough it will not reach 5000 rpm in 5th gear. This basically has to do with final drive and gearing of the vehicle and also the engine power. This happens generally with low torque engines. This is the precise reason why 1.0 litre engine of Gypsy doesnot have 5 speed gearbox. Essentially 5th gear in lower powered vehicle is useless as it may just improve cruiseability but cannot improve top speed. With powerful engines 5th gear has higher top speed like on a Scorpio.

@Nepalken- More than the aerodynamics, Hilux was a heavy vehicle and springing was better. Gypsy's nervous behaviour is due to flawed suspension which has very little verticle travel. Gypsy is a very light vehicle on leaf sprung suspension. It has nothing to do with 1300cc of Gypsy and 2500cc of Hilux. Infact cars with 1300cc with similar weight of Gypsy cruise better than a 2500cc Diesel.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 11th September 2009 at 22:23.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:32   #33
BHPian

Gypsy is a terrain vehicle. Basically It is not meant for speed like modern car. I felt bored many time driving car on long trips.Interesting that I never felt with Gypsy.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:35   #34
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Gypsy is a terrain vehicle. Basically It is not meant for speed like modern car. I felt bored many time driving car on long trips.Interesting that I never felt with Gypsy.
Perfectly said .
Old 11th September 2009, 22:45   #35
BHPian

@vinod, the kerb weight between hilux 88 and hardtop gypsy ie 1200 kg and 1050 kgs respectively, so not much difference but the handling at high speed is very big difference. I drove 300 km non-stop on Gypsy and I was not impressed. @ gonewithewind, driving cars and Jeeps/gypsy/pickups are different ball games, I enjoyed driving a tata 1512 TC bus, it was so much fun. You stare down at people in pickups and jeeps. (My enter key is not working in my laptop now, so I couldnot break the paragraphs)
Old 11th September 2009, 22:55   #36
BHPian

Nepalken, We says things based on our experience. Right.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:02   #37
BHPian

@gonewithwind, yes sir I agree about our experiences being different
Old 12th September 2009, 00:02   #38
BHPian

GURKHA : 140 KMPH, which is last speed shown on the speedometer. Achieved on my Trip to Delhi to Pune, just to test the max. speed. Vehicle does not rattles at that speed but I sure was rattling once I saw the speed.

The vehicle is capable of cruising 100+ KMPH through out the day ~ 24 hrs.
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2009, 11:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

The actual deterrent would be the soft top and the noise that it makes. I remember driving on the Pollachi road, home to the windmills where its quite gusty and the soft top used to make flap even whilst doing moderate speeds.
I did the whole stretch at an average speed of 60. It was quite comfortable at well placed on those speeds, and unlike other jeeps that i have driven the vehicle did not swagger all over the road.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:45   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Beejay - I presume you are still running on F78*15 tyres and even then if your vehicle did not swagger all over the road, change the tyres as we discussed and then see.

Dear Vinod and all - the maximum speed of the XXXX is YYYY kmph.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th September 2009, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Beejay - I presume you are still running on F78*15 tyres and even then if your vehicle did not swagger all over the road, change the tyres as we discussed and then see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I am still unable to get the 4x4 from brute. I am waiting to get my hands on the same.

You are kidding about YYYY speed right. Must be YYY.
Old 12th September 2009, 12:58   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, its YYY. Good one I say!

B
Old 12th September 2009, 13:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have been able to touch an indicated 90kmph in my 1995 Gypsy 410W. There is lot of engine sound at this speed, since this Gypsy has the radiator and fan of an Amby.

Quote:
....the maximum speed of the XXXX is YYYY kmph...

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Excellent, sir

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 12th September 2009 at 13:13.
Old 12th September 2009, 20:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Let us hope that xxxx ~= DOA (Dead On Arrival)
Old 12th September 2009, 21:47   #45
BHPian

The maximum that I can squeze from my 1970 CJ-4 (diesel swap) is 63km/h. It was faster with the Hurricane petrol, but at a cost. I considered changing the transmission with a 4 speed from these ones, but I can't find any transmission.

Top Speeds of a 4x4 (pure offroaders)-b0504c5cb7674fe89b782be93f9e52d.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2009 at 20:25. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.

Most Viewed