Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 02:39   #16
BHPian

Congrats pal, you got a very nice jeep there, and in a beautiful condition to start a restoration with. I'll add this just for your knowledge that if its a 67' model, its not a Willys technically, but rather a Universal Jeep, since after 65', they stopped using the embossed WILLYS logo, and in its place was embossed JEEP logo (On the front grill and the tailgate. The Hood/Bonnet was blank, while the pre 65' 3B's had Willys embossed on the sides of the hood too) all the way till 75', after which it became purely a mahindra jeep with no embosses but a plastic mahindra logo on the front grill.

Although the CJ3B still maintained a left hand drive steering wheel till 67', the 2nd cross-member of the chassis (the one below the grill and radiator) was changed from an inverted U-shaped round tube of the earlier models (Willys), to a square cross member in the 66' and later jeeps, including being used in the Mahindras, even until now. The chassis was still made in the U.S.A. all the way till 75' after which the Mahindra made chassis took over, though there were a few jeeps until 78', infact all of them used by the Army and fitted with the Anti-Tank Recoilless Gun (RCL) that still used the American made chassis.

The reason why i'm telling you all this is that from the photograph you provided, though i'm not sure as its not clearly visible in the photograph, it seems like the chassis seems to have a round tube inverted U-shaped cross-member (pre-65') unlike the square ones used post-65'. Please do check it out though, b'coz if its not a square tube but rather a round tube, its got to be a Willys chassis used in the jeep, with some illegal trickery being involved. If it really is what i'm afraid to say it is, then it could be that the chassis from a earlier model has been used with the chassis no. grinded out and the later model's chassis no. has been "stamped" over it, so that it can be adapted with the R/C of the later model, which you might know is an illegal process.

Anyways, if you're looking for details like military accessories, well as far as the CJ3BArmy, or the Indian M606 is concerned, you already seem to have an army scissors hood, and army seats. Mayapuri might be a great place to search for MM540/550 military accessories, but not the CJ3B. You might have difficulty looking for the stock square military side-view mirror (rare), and even the mirror stem. The round Black-out (war) light, though the square ones are easily available as they're used on 540's too, and so is the map reading light and the rear red-dot blackout tail lamps. The side mounted 5 liter gallon rack, the big single speedometer used in the Willys, the pick-axe, spade,etc and their original respective mounts used only on the 3B, the electric wipor motor as well the hand-powered wiper lever (sic,lol), the fuel tank with a dipstick, original 3B jack and handle, the engine bay light, and even the missing links of the scissors hood to fold it down, the canvas doors, tailgate hinges and chains,folding wate bucket,etc,etc. These are some of the things used as stock in the CJ3B that makes the Military jeep look great. these things are something that are available in Dabwalli in Punjab/Haryana, and Sri Ganganagar in Rajasthan, and although Dabwalli has a greater stock of these kinds of stuff, but you've got to have a keen eye to find out whats the better quality original stuff, and whats the "DESI" one(which in this case looks like the better one to the naked eye).
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2009, 03:43   #17
BHPian

Nice one Burtus, this is interesting piece of information.

There sure are folk here with interesting information about the Willy's.

I have also heard the post 67' JEEP came in RHD & LHD only in petrol engine though not diesel. Don't know how correct this information is though
Old 17th September 2009, 00:39   #18
BHPian

Thanks Mandeep, Samy, ACM, Shubhendra & Allana for sharing your thoughts... I intend visiting the Mayapuri market end of this month to see what I can find there. Will post my learning after the visit.

Brutus- your post is really informative. I must admit- I have been able to add a few more items that I can look at buying post reading it. That said, I do have a challenge in going to Dabwalli or Sri Ganganagar. I don't have any business to travel in that part of the country for now- will try to find these parts towards the South first. If I don't succeed- perhaps I will make a quick trip there & buy all this.

I did find a chap in Pollachi (Tamil Nadu) who has confirmed having most of these items... so that will be closer for me from a Bangalore perspective.

The immediate challenge is to find the spare parts for mechanical work- my garage is unable to continue the current work due to the spares unavailability. The folks I have contacted locally say we should wait till Ramzan & then resume the search. The Shivajinagar market kind of slows down during this festive season.

So, I need to find some of these spares to start the mechanical work. Once I am convinced that the jeep can take the stress of long drives, then I can drive to another state to get the military fittings done.

Does anyone know how to contact Diesel Mechanic? I am unable to find him here...

Also, Shubhendra- do you know where I can pick up a decent winch in Mayapuri? Any idea about Chinese ones? I am a little reluctant to spend 50K at this stage to buy a Warn... though I can find them in the local dealer in BLR itself. I want to spend the money more on restoration for now...

Let me know if anyone has had any experience with the Chinese winches... or if there are any Chinese ones which are more reliable than the others...

Thanks again, everyone... will keep you posted how this develops!

Abhishek
Old 17th September 2009, 14:25   #19
BHPian

Hi Abhishek nice one.

Well you need to contact diesel_maniac
He is the chap who knows a lot about jeeps.

You can look him up on the forum.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Cheers

Old 3rd October 2009, 12:30   #20
BHPian

Progress Report

Hi everyone, its been a couple of weeks since I last interacted with all of you. Have made some good progress since then in my quest to get my jeep ready. Thought will share some quick updates.

Firstly, thanks to UBS & Diesel Maniac for their support in getting me further in my jeep education. They have been very patient in explaining the modalities, as well as guiding me on where I will find jeep parts.

Last week, I was in Delhi & I spent a considerable amount of time scouting through the Mayapuri junkyard to handpick the original jeep parts. While I recognize the lack of authencity in some of their restored jeeps, it sure is a landmine for someone like me, who is looking to find parts which have been dismantled from the army vehicles. I came out dirty & greasy from all my walkarounds, but had a big grin on my face everytime from what I discovered. I also managed to firm my relationship with many of the shopkeepers, whom I can now remotely approach to find me parts!

Here is what I managed to find, which I was searching for, as part of my shopping cart:-)

1) 3 speed gear box & transfer case
2) All light fittings, including blackout lights, holders, map reading light, dashboard light etc
3) The heavyduty original handles
4) Bullet box & gerry can holder (already had the original gerry can)
5) Rear view mirrors
6) Differentials & other related fittings
7) Shovel, Axe, Bumperettes
8) Hooks, bracket etc
9) I also managed to find some wireless fittings & antenna
10) I ordered myself the split windscreens, complete with Willys logo
11) Also got the original back door (which opens downwards instead of sideways)
12) Wiper motor
13) Front grill (to convert to a low bonnet look) & headlights
14) Also bought military look fog lamps
15) I got a bikni top made to order
16) Handbrake assembly (need to find the wire though, which I am sure I will find in BLR)

All this, at a fraction of a cost that I would've paid in BLR!

My pending items still are:
1) Original Tool Box
2) New Steering wheel or at least the botton horn for the original one I already have got in the jeep
3) Original Fire Entinguisher
4) Surge Tank
5) Original Speedometer & other dials

All in all, it has been a great couple of weeks. I have given the stuff to the transporter, so will have to wait while all these reach Bangalore. Can't wait to see the work get started sometime end of next week:-)

I will keep you all posted on the progress. Please do help if you see any of the above mentioned parts available anywhere in India. I can look at procuring them.

Thanks again all for your support... wouldn't have reached this far without you all!

Take care till next time,

Abhishek
abhishek_d_zulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:58   #21
BHPian

Good to hear that Abhi,

Jas is a top man, knows his stuff quite well. Bit a trip then from Banglore to Delhi. Nice 1.

Post us some more pics including of the stuff you bought whenever you get a chance.

Good luck

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Last week, I was in Delhi & I spent a considerable amount of time scouting through the Mayapuri junkyard to handpick the original jeep parts. While I recognize the lack of authencity in some of their restored jeeps, it sure is a landmine for someone like me, who is looking to find parts which have been dismantled from the army vehicles. I came out dirty & greasy from all my walkarounds, but had a big grin on my face everytime from what I discovered.
Ah! Mayapuri in September, a lot of people go there just to enjoy the sparkling spring waters and the gentle cool breezes....NOT! I applaud your stamina and patience.

Were there particular shops that you trusted or had better success with? I was there in late April, 46 degrees and not a hint of a breeze, and I did not find much. I was looking for complete vehicles at the time. It was so hot the shop keepers resented having to expend the energy to answer my 'silly' questions.

A SWB jeep must be a blast to own. You have rekindled my interest in them. Good luck with it.

There are threads on this forum about winches. Ex670c, Arka, has had success with Chinese winches. You might look for his posts on them or PM him.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd October 2009 at 15:40.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:49   #23
BHPian

Well, I had better experience... of course it was dirty & grimy! But people were more than helpful. I had the following folks who proved quite helpful...

1) For Jeep accessories, try Giridharilal Khanna. Shop # B-83, Mayapuri. Contact # 9212207785 / 9212726315

2) For gearbox / transfer case, try Gurpreet Singh Khalsa, B-86, Mayapuri. Contact # 9910971700

3) For Engines / Chinese Winches, try Tauji Motor Store, W-36, Mayapuri. Contact # 011-28112159

Between these three folks, you will find just about anything that you want for your jeeps.

If required, you can mention I referred you. I have been talking to them even post coming to Bangalore- they go out of their way to source parts for me. All I have to do is to have someone go & pick it up.

Hope this helps...

Abhishek
Old 6th October 2009, 16:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Keep the look of the Jeep to CJ3B high bonnet. A Cj3B should look like a Cj3B, with a one piece glass windscreen.

There are plenty of serviceable instrument panels and dials available in Mayapuri itself. Strange you didn't find one.

If not you can still order an original one from Mahindra, Mr. Romi Malik of NIOC did this to restore a Cj3B Jeep as original Mahindra JEEP Cj3B of late 1970s look.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Abhisheek,
If I am not wrong you are converting a high bonnet jeep to a low bonnet jeep, besides cosmetic i do not see any functional benefits and I feel that a jeep is about 70-80% of jeeps today are brought for the road presence and about 20-30% with the actual utility in mind. I have some serious questions in mind. Did a lot of googling but somehow could not find any reliable answers. I think since you are up to this feat you might have some answers,
What are the requirements to go low bonnet things needed including body parts, say you have a CJ3B (not the accessories)?
Changes required to the chassis
changes required to the tub
I also happen to hear that such conversions hamper the 4x4 performance and it’s a feat in itself to retain the 4x4, is it true?
Is there any benefits besides cosmetic benefits?
I would love to see a pictorial representation of how this is done, so that this thread may be used as a reference for all who would like to do this. I might be missing some questions but in short I am interested in this as well. I used to drool over these low bonnet jeeps during my stay in Hyderabad and 90% of these jeeps are high to low bonnet converts, never got a chance to actually go near one, so don’t know the details. Please see if you can post a pictorial steps of the conversion along with some other important details that might come in handy to attempt something similar.
Thanks,
Pramod
Old 8th October 2009, 10:10   #26
BHPian

Pramod,

I had a couple of discussions with UBS Sir on this... what I learnt from him was the following:
1) A CJ3B conversion to low bonnet can get done, provided we make changes to the carburetor placement under the hood. He mentioned that was the change which will need to be made to fit the engine assembly under the lower size bonnet, which will have to be cut too. I did have my apprehensions on fitting the original Hurricane Petrol engine in the low bonnet- but he mentioned that it can easily be done. In the past, I heard people replacing the original petrol engine with a diesel one just to make this conversion possible... but I wasn't ready to make that sacrifice.
2) Secondly, one will have to get a fabricated grill which will allow the headlight to be fitted behind the grill.
3) Thirdly, we will have to replace the headlight assembly too to fit the new grill.
4) The windscreen- though not connected directly with this conversion, too will have to be fabricated (split one instead of single piece)

All in all, it seems doable. I have collected all the spares & accessories- will now embark on the conversion. Perhaps will engage in some more detailed discussions on this topic when my garage chap starts to work on it.

The point to note here is that I will only do it if there is no impact on off-roading capability of the jeep- including the use of 4X4. At this stage, per my conversations with many people who know this business well, it doesn't seem to be the fear. Again, once I get into it, will share my learnings.

On a separate note, the reason I want to get into it is simple- I aspire to own a MB or a GPW like many others. Due to limited availability of such jeeps & budgetary constraints, it is fairly difficult to get hold of. If I can make a few changes in the CJ3B & make it work like a MB, I don't see why not. Everyone may not be able to afford a 6-7 lac jeep. And yet everyone has a right to enjoy jeeps

Again, the responsibility that goes with it also has to be kept in mind. One mustn't ever convert a jeep into a pretentious machine, incapable of doing what it was meant to do. If one replaced the engine, took the 4X4 away, put in a power steering, put in a different gearbox, replaced the original parts with those of recent generation pseudo jeeps- that will be mutilating the originality of the Willys... which in this case will never be done. On the contrary, I am searching the entire country to bring in as many original parts as I can, so that the final product makes me proud.

Also note that when I bought the jeep, someone had already taken the 4X4 off it. So, my work also included restoring many of those facets which were originally available in the jeep.

I am sharing this thought, as I do recognize that many people may be against the changes made to a jeep to make it look like a MB...

Would love to hear everyone's view.

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Abhisheek,
If I am not wrong you are converting a high bonnet jeep to a low bonnet jeep,
=================
some other important details that might come in handy to attempt something similar.
Thanks,
Pramod
Old 8th October 2009, 11:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod,

On a separate note, the reason I want to get into it is simple- I aspire to own a MB or a GPW like many others. Due to limited availability of such jeeps & budgetary constraints, it is fairly difficult to get hold of. If I can make a few changes in the CJ3B & make it work like a MB, I don't see why not. Everyone may not be able to afford a 6-7 lac jeep. And yet everyone has a right to enjoy jeeps
Abhishek,

I had a colleague in my previous organization who was looking for a low bonnet jeep in Hyderabad, >90% Jeeps were converts and the ones which were originals had obscene pricing. I always wanted one but the price was the one stopping me. I heard from people that there are a lot of petrol jeeps available in Kerala at throw away prices (I have not seen one of these only hearsay), if this feat can be achieved I would be the first one to take a plunge, so be prepared to answer a lot of PMs

Quote:
I am sharing this thought, as I do recognize that many people may be against the changes made to a jeep to make it look like a MB...

Would love to hear everyone's view.

AB
You are the owner so you decide, Respect senior openions but since you have invested a lot of time, effort and money i suggest go for it. so whne is "he" expected to hit the road (i mean no road).

Pramod
Old 9th October 2009, 00:27   #28
BHPian

Pramod, I will be happy to share my experiences... once I get it done.

I guess it will at least take a couple of months. The spares & accessories are still on their way from Delhi. The floods in Andhra are not helping the matters either. Should get them in the next week or two. I intend to get the mechanicals done first, followed by cosmetic changes followed by paintwork. Seems simple enough at this stage... lets see how it goes.

Will keep you all posted...

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Abhishek,

I had a colleague in my previous organization who was looking for a low bonnet jeep in Hyderabad, >90% Jeeps were converts and the ones which were originals had obscene pricing. I always wanted one but the price was the one stopping me. I heard from people that there are a lot of petrol jeeps available in Kerala at throw away prices (I have not seen one of these only hearsay), if this feat can be achieved I would be the first one to take a plunge, so be prepared to answer a lot of PMs

You are the owner so you decide, Respect senior openions but since you have invested a lot of time, effort and money i suggest go for it. so whne is "he" expected to hit the road (i mean no road).

Pramod
Old 14th October 2009, 11:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Taken up a great job to restore it to its original stature.
contact pavan_kadam he is form B'lore.see if he is of any help.He had also restored one.
Old 14th October 2009, 23:16   #30
RVD
BHPian

@ Abishek : Congratulations on your wonderful jeep. How did you manage to get all the parts back to Bangalore ? Was it still much cheaper than Bangalore after the freight charges ?

Also, can you please advice as to how much the 3 speed GB ,T-case , the differential and the wiper motor cost you ? I need to convert my jeep into 4WD and if there is a considerable difference in cost, I would not mind going to Delhi and picking it up there.

Regards

Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks