Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 09:05   #31
BHPian

Rahul,

The price difference between Bangalore & Delhi is substantial. In certain cases, not only are they nearly half, it is also the availability of parts that drives this decision.

Considering I bought most of these things together, I don't remember the individual prices, but I paid somewhere in the vicinity of 17k for all of these which you have listed.

My jeep also was converted to 2WD by the previous owner, plus the gear box was in bad shape. So, I bought an overhauled gearbox & transfer case & all fittings / spares to convert it to 4WD.

On Transport, I actually found someone in my circle who runs a transport agency- so got it done for free. I only had to pay carting charges from Mayapuri to their office in Delhi & guess will do the same from their office in Tumkur, when the consignment reaches here this weekend. So, the costs didn't hit me much.

That said, I will still encourage you to get it done from Delhi- for the sheer availability & cost factors.

If you need help, I can connect you with the right folks in Mayapuri- who can help source one. We can check on how to bring it over through them as well- that mustn't be too difficult to figure out.

Take care,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
@ Abishek : Congratulations on your wonderful jeep. How did you manage to get all the parts back to Bangalore ? Was it still much cheaper than Bangalore after the freight charges ?

Also, can you please advice as to how much the 3 speed GB ,T-case , the differential and the wiper motor cost you ? I need to convert my jeep into 4WD and if there is a considerable difference in cost, I would not mind going to Delhi and picking it up there.

Regards

Rahul
Old 16th October 2009, 00:19   #32
RVD
BHPian

@ Abhishek: Thanks for offering your help.. I will be going to shivajinagar shortly to get an idea as to the cost of the whole set up. Once I have the same, I will PM you for the references to compare.

Regards

Rahul
Old 19th October 2009, 10:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Abhisheek,

While surfing the net i found some blue prints of some willis, thought it might be useful to you and others

Willys Jeep

Willys Jeep

Pramod
Old 19th October 2009, 11:24   #34
BHPian

Thanks Pramod... this is interesting.

In the past few months, I have collected a large amount of data on dimensions, original designs, availability of parts & even costs for these jeep parts... now putting some of those theoritical knowledge to test by executing them. Of course, still have tonnes to learn, but it is good to see how this project is evolving.

I am now diversifying into a few additional vehicles, beyond jeeps. Will talk about them in months to come once I have substantial amount of data to share.

Take care,

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hey Abhisheek,

While surfing the net i found some blue prints of some willis, thought it might be useful to you and others

Willys Jeep

Willys Jeep

Pramod
Old 1st January 2010, 22:38   #35
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been sharing the updates on my CJ3B restoration over the last many months. There has been a gap of a few months since my last update- so thought will post a quick update on what's happening in the background.

The CJ3B finally today completed the last phase of mechanical work & tinkering work today & went for its paint job. Its been many months of slow progress, fitting one part at a time! Now its almost done- everything from differentials, to gearbox, to steering assembly to meters- all have been changed.

I have attached a few pictures that I took at the garage today- it doesn't show much from these, considering all the accessories have now been taken off again, leaving the drilled holes across the jeep. These parts will be individually painted & fitted back in the next few weeks.

Will then get the wiring completed, followed by upholstery work as last phase. Need to also do up the canvas top in the end.

Tomorrow I have the critical job of selecting the color. Have some offbeat options in mind, apart from the standard olive green. Let's see what I can find in the shade card.

One help that I still need is to locate a handbrake cable- that still eludes me. Additionally, the indicator stalk also seems not to be original- so if anyone has one in their view, please give me a heads up- I can buy it.

This project too is coming close to conclusion. Will share updates as I progress towards closure... thanks for your continued support & interest over the months.

I hope you are also keeping an eye on the Land Rovers I am doing simultaneously!

Take care,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Thanks Pramod... this is interesting.

In the past few months, I have collected a large amount of data on dimensions, original designs, availability of parts & even costs for these jeep parts... now putting some of those theoritical knowledge to test by executing them. Of course, still have tonnes to learn, but it is good to see how this project is evolving.

I am now diversifying into a few additional vehicles, beyond jeeps. Will talk about them in months to come once I have substantial amount of data to share.

Take care,

AB
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Willys CJ3B-cj3b1.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-cj3b2.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-cj3b3.jpg  

abhishek_d_zulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2010, 23:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
I have attached a few pictures that I took at the garage today
Abhishek - That is one great Jeep you have managed to lay your hands on.
I checked it out when I was at Ganesh's over the Christmas weekend. I was there to get my Classic serviced but unfortunately could not get it done due to the day-long power cut. I should be there one of the coming weekends and hope to catch up with you if you are around.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 20th March 2010, 13:27   #37
BHPian

Back from workshop

Hello all,
Picked up the CJ from the workshop for Abhishek as he's out of town. She came back with a few pending jobs done, new canvas top and FWH. She's been pretty well-behaved with me the past 3 days. Wonder if she's ready for an OTR soon. Am attaching a few low-res pics I just took. Pics of her with the canvas top will soon follow. First time posting pics, hope I get this right!

Cheers,
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01386.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01387.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01388.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01389.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01390.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01391.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01392.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01393.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01394.jpg  

Restoring a Willys CJ3B-dsc01395.jpg  

voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 13:59   #38
BHPian

Abhishek,

Man you have lot of patience to do so many remote restorations. Very nicely done CJ3B.
Old 20th March 2010, 22:27   #39
BHPian

hello

Nice work.Your Jeep looks good. Enjoy your drive.

Regards,
Karumbaiah
Old 21st March 2010, 00:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

The jeep really looks good, can't wait to see the pictures with the soft top on as well.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Nice and congratz! She is a real beauty. Hope to see her soon in person.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:54   #42
BHPian

Hey Rahul,

Thanks for picking up the jeep... it looks great. Its funny, I am checking the photographs, sitting in the Paris airport lounge. Will hopefully be able to see the jeep in person tomorrow.

I notice that the wipers are now fixed. Lets give her a wash tomorrow & post the photos with the hood on, it looked quite nice I thought with the dark grey color combination...

We of course will need to get the back seat & carpet fixed next...

See ya (both) soon...

Cheers
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hello all,
Picked up the CJ from the workshop for Abhishek as he's out of town. She came back with a few pending jobs done, new canvas top and FWH. She's been pretty well-behaved with me the past 3 days. Wonder if she's ready for an OTR soon. Am attaching a few low-res pics I just took. Pics of her with the canvas top will soon follow. First time posting pics, hope I get this right!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 21st March 2010, 12:01   #43
BHPian

Hey Amar, thanks!

This jeep was actually done in BLR itself- next to my eyes... the two Land Rovers were done remotely... irony is- the jeep took the longest to finish (still not done completely, if you ask me). We will get there soon, I hope.

It has also got done thanks to friends like Rahul & Ajit- who invest time on these vehicles regardless of who owns them & whether I stay around all the time or not. Especially Rahul- who has an emotional connect with this chap in particular... I have been away from BLR in the past month & I have relied completely on Rahul to keep an eye on the progress.

Thanks again for your interest...

Cheers,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Abhishek,

Man you have lot of patience to do so many remote restorations. Very nicely done CJ3B.
Old 21st March 2010, 20:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Love the colour. Great job but why did you not put the meters in the original 5 cluster way. This one seems to look more carish.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:24   #45
BHPian

Agree... it was already done by the garage in between one of my trips! I realized it a little too late.

Thought will continue with it for now & get it changed a little later in the day, instead of sending it back once more. Anyways it has been a 5-6 month restoration project & didn't want to lose for months again, keeping in mind the fact that it will need everything from paint, electricals to welding all over again.

I now want to drive it & have some fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Love the colour. Great job but why did you not put the meters in the original 5 cluster way. This one seems to look more carish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks