Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 12:29   #1
BHPian

How to safeguard your topless 4x4.

Hello All,

I am sure some of the jeepers fitted an A/C in their Jeeps. I was just wondering how they insulated their Soft tops. I have an MM550 and full body tailgate. I am not so interested in hard top since it will kill the Jeep look.

Autocop : Yeah i know it sounds crazy. But think about the following options.

1) It will have sensors on my front doors and rear door.
2) Will have sensors on my hood as well.
3) If some one tries to push it will alert (?)

It something better than nothing. Securing soft top Jeeps where always a problem. Right now i manage with flimsy steering lock. I know that locks of Jeeps are not as soft as Cars, but one guy told me that it can be fitted. any thoughts? Or any better ideas to secure a soft top Jeep?

--Sree--

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2008 at 17:28. Reason: Merging queries
Old 11th September 2008, 13:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Or any better ideas to secure a soft top Jeep?...
IIRC, I read somewhere that:
Put the 4WD (transfer case) in neutral and that's it. if the thief is NOT 4x4 savvy, he won't be able to 'drive' it. :-)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2008, 13:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
IIRC, I read somewhere that:
Put the 4WD (transfer case) in neutral and that's it. if the thief is NOT 4x4 savvy, he won't be able to 'drive' it. :-)
I am assuming even auto thieves have access to Team-bhp and are probably reading this post as of now..

Steering locks and chaining the underpining to a hook in the ground are what i have seen for a number of soft tops.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do you require this for a soft top jeep? Never heard of such thing before.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Or any better ideas to secure a soft top Jeep?
How about a covert engine kill switch, let it be one of those small stick type (not savvy enough to know what it is called ), like the ones you find on a Tri-phase box.

Hide it under one corner of the dash, or may be even under you seat, only flipping it 'ON' would connect the battery to the ignition.

Zimble, eh?? Any takers..??

Last edited by Spinnerr : 11th September 2008 at 17:25. Reason: quoted 'ON'
Old 11th September 2008, 17:39   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
I am sure some of the jeepers fitted an A/C in their Jeeps. I was just wondering how they insulated their Soft tops. I have an MM550 and full body tailgate. I am not so interested in hard top since it will kill the Jeep look.
I run an air-con in my Classic and had tinkered with the idea of better insulation, but never came around to it. The Classic's cabin is really small, making the ex-Sierra aircon very chilly.

You could probably take it to an upholstery shop and get the leaks sealed up. Foam in some places and screws in others may go a long way.

Quote:
Autocop : Yeah i know it sounds crazy. But think about the following options.
It is crazy indeed and will never be effective. If you want to secure your Jeep:

1. Park in a safe area

2. Use a high-quality grip lock (steering to pedal).

3. Get an army-type ignition switch (over and above the existing key-type). Conceal it behind the dash or in the glovebox.

4. As Khan_sultan suggested, slot the 4x4 lever into neutral.
Old 11th September 2008, 19:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
4. As Khan_sultan suggested, slot the 4x4 lever into neutral.
But i thought that my 4X4 was neutral. Its BA-10 GB and small lever was alyas on top position. what you mean by 4X4 Level to neutral.

--Sree--
Old 11th September 2008, 21:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ignition switch would be a way better option than autocop.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:05   #9
BHPian

sreeraj,
I am a bit paranoid about my jeeps security too. I am using a normal hockey stick typre steering lock now.
I got this hella deadlock switch. The previous owner got it but didnt install it. Once you pull out the redkey, the battery to the engine is cut off. This is hidden under the dash. But, they can still push it and start, isnt it.
How to safeguard your topless 4x4.-switch2.jpg
How to safeguard your topless 4x4.-gear2.jpg
Iam planning to get the gorilla Grip lock. Its some 60$ or so.
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories
Quote:
what you mean by 4X4 Level to neutral.
In your second lever, there will be a neutral position. Once that is engaged, what ever the primary gear it is in, the vehicle never moves forward. This thing disengages both the shafts. Khan suggested that to me.

4x4 neutral + steering lock + deadlock switch is enough of a puzzle for anyone trying to mess.

Krishna.
Old 12th September 2008, 09:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
.... In your second lever, there will be a neutral position. Once that is engaged, what ever the primary gear it is in, the vehicle never moves forward. This thing disengages both the shafts. ...
IIRC, I also read somewhere that while getting your jeep towed on a highway, one should put your 4x4 into neutral.

Quote:
4x4 neutral + steering lock + deadlock switch is enough of a puzzle for anyone trying to mess....
You bet.. (will work only if the thief has not read this thread )
Old 12th September 2008, 10:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
sreeraj,
I am a bit paranoid about my jeeps security too. I am using a normal hockey stick typre steering lock now.
I got this hella deadlock switch. The previous owner got it but didnt install it. Once you pull out the redkey, the battery to the engine is cut off. This is hidden under the dash. But, they can still push it and start, isnt it.
Attachment 48204
Attachment 48205
Iam planning to get the gorilla Grip lock. Its some 60$ or so.
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories
In your second lever, there will be a neutral position. Once that is engaged, what ever the primary gear it is in, the vehicle never moves forward. This thing disengages both the shafts. Khan suggested that to me.

4x4 neutral + steering lock + deadlock switch is enough of a puzzle for anyone trying to mess.

Krishna.
Krishna,

Thanks for the link.
I have a single lever transmission, Its a BA-10 gear box and Borg & Warner transfer case, Hence the shifting pattern of small single lever is different.
This operates in a single line. 2WDH, 4WDH, neutral, 4WDLO, If i am correct, your transfer case and Gear Box are different than mine, so it will have a different shifting pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
IIRC, I also read somewhere that while getting your jeep towed on a highway, one should put your 4x4 into neutral.

You bet.. (will work only if the thief has not read this thread )
One more use of transfer case neutral is for Power Take Off (PTO). For agricultural use like water pump, generator or PTO Winch. Thanks to Rohan (jeepthrills member JEEPGEORGE) for this information

--Sree--
Old 12th September 2008, 11:34   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Hide it under one corner of the dash, or may be even under you seat, only flipping it 'ON' would connect the battery to the ignition.
You do not require a battery on a running diesel. IF it does not have a ECU.

I mean, you can always push start the vehicle if you can get it to move and get going. None of the electricals may work; but the vehicle is still with you.
Old 16th September 2008, 19:49   #13
BHPian

Hi Sreeraj,

Iam using the car type steering lock in my Jeep after converting it to powersteering. May be i can show you when we meet up with our Jeeps.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

How to safeguard your topless 4x4.

Like most of the pure off roaders, my CJ340 does not have doors. Yesterday someone had switched on the fog lamps, lights and wiper while I had the same parked in front of my store. Usually it starts on a single crank after heating. I had to crank it thrice to start, moreover the wiper has left a mark on the windscreen. This is so damn pissing off. I suppose the fog lamps were on for more than 3 hours.

Unfortunately there is no deterrent to ward off possible miscreants, this has me wondering on how easy it is to steal the vehicle itself. I am getting myself a gear lock soon. Something is better than nothing.

The vehicle attracts attention and at times I see kids sitting inside and meddling. I scare them off very diplomatically. This again is not a permanent solution, unfortunately there is no permanent solution for the same. So I am putting my imaginative side to work.

How good is my dog inside the Jeep while I have it parked near the store? Or probably a pet snake?
Old 16th September 2009, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Securing open jeep is by covering it!

Beejay,
I had the same problem with my jeep parked all day long outside my house compound. I saw one man sleeping reclining my bucket seats one day!! He continued. then his friends and a dog joined!!

I bought a TATA Sumo cover , covered it when i dont use it. This took care of this problem. Regarding fidling with electricals, all the lights and other accessories are ignition operated. Only horn is direct! This takes care of battery not getting discharged even when some one operates multifunction switch. When i leave my jeep pared at unknown place for long i give about 10 bucks to some watch man to keep an eye on the vehicle. It is highly unlikely that some one will steal a jeep. I give money to keep an eye on tow rope left in my vehicle:-)))

In short best way to secure is by covering the vehicle to prevent damage. Battery is the most vunerable thing that gets stolen from a stationary jeep since bonnet is free for all.Theft of jeeps are very rare! Even if some body does he wouldnt go too far!

Just that you brought this topic this reminds me of changing ignition key. It just starts with any key:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 16th September 2009 at 11:00.

Most Viewed