Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 11:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Magnetic Bolero Invader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi All,
Little bit off topic but interesting story.We had Invader Di for around four years and the reason why we sold it because whenever you drive the vehicle dust comes inside . Everyone might be wondering that this is the case with all MMs and gypsies, but problem of this vehicle that once dust comes inside it does not go out.
Hi Shubhendra,

The dust enters all rag top vehicles from the rear flap, because when the vehicle is moving forward (Windscreen Closed) a low-Pressure/Turbulence/Vortex is created at the back, and dust comes in.

Happens even in the CJ3B, one solution is to open the tilt window in the Windscreen, or pull down the rear flap.

As far as the Dust not going out, could be they were magnetic and hence got attracted to your vehicle, you are in the Mining Business after all.

Any further queries about the dust biting the Bolero Invader, please take it up with Behram Dabhar.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 11:46   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The dust enters all rag top vehicles from the rear flap, because when the vehicle is moving forward (Windscreen Closed) a low-Pressure/Turbulence/Vortex is created at the back, and dust comes in.
Damn, that is Bernoulli's principle.

I haven't really experienced this, may be because I don't have side doors either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
PS....has anybody seen Arka lately? Does he look more 'Distinguished"....???
Not yet, we haven't shipped out the DBHPian lapel badges to the new Ds.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:48   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Isn't this Commando based on the Invader itself? It's absolute eye-candy. I like.

I'd say the Invader's lack of popularity could have to do with the Scorpio & Xylo keeping Mahindra busy.

Mahindra Invader: Why is it not a 4x4 favorite-moto_0019.jpg
Old 17th September 2009, 12:51   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isn't this Commando based on the Invader itself?
I guess its based on the Bolero Chassis.

The Stryker - a prototype for the army is based on the Invader platform.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isn't this Commando based on the Invader itself? It's absolute eye-candy. I like.

I'd say the Invader's lack of popularity could have to do with the Scorpio & Xylo keeping Mahindra busy.

Attachment 193039
Commando is NOT based on invader, its based on Bolero!

you have to buy a stock bolero and send it to MM customisation factory and pay for everything to get a commando made for you!

WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!

i guess most of the people sitting in MM customisation dept are graduates from DC institute of design!
Old 17th September 2009, 16:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arka,
I agree with all your points/logic, but here i am talking about my first hand experince. I do not know technial jargons or as technically sound as you guys. But we have jeeps from GPW to 52, Willys, CJ3B to Invader. But we never faced this kind of problem in any vehicle. Infact this was the sole reason for selling this vehicle. please refer below pic where i have marked extra fittings by MM.
I am also waiting for Behram Dabhar reply on this .

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Regards,

Arka[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Invader: Why is it not a 4x4 favorite-invader.jpg  

Old 17th September 2009, 17:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...we sold it because whenever you drive the vehicle dust comes inside . Everyone might be wondering that this is the case with all MMs and gypsies, but problem of this vehicle that once dust comes inside it does not go out.
Quote:
We tried one more time and we went with covering whole invader to hardtop and fitted rear door, but of no use .
Quote:
Hi Arka,
I agree with all your points/logic, but here i am talking about my first hand experince. I do not know technial jargons or as technically sound as you guys. But we have jeeps from GPW to 52, Willys, CJ3B to Invader. But we never faced this kind of problem in any vehicle.
Invader has more Bernoulli effect because of its shape e.g. especially that foil roof that pops air up into the...er, ... air. But the dust has to come in some opening. Find that opening, plug it and the problem is solved. If the doors do not fit tight they can be alligned and rubber molding material, even cut inner tube rubber, can be added. Same with the rear after market tailgate fittings. I will grant you, it is easier said than done. Holes leaking water or dust can be really hard to find. One way they find auto leaks outside India is to pressurize the interior with a strong fan with dry ice inside. Then watch for where the fog, vapor, comes out of the vehicle. They plug the hole and repeat the procedure.

My Tata Spacio leaks dust thru the tailgate and doors almost as badly as if there was a window open. It's a hardtop, too. I clean and cope.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 17th September 2009 at 17:14.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 17:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

AN invader is essentially a SWB Bolero. With a 4x4 system in place with the 3200TDI Bolero Engine that delivers about 68 to 70 bhp, it would be moderately OK as an offroader if not great guns.

On performance basis it would perform slightly better that MM540s and 550s that we have in the club ( NIOC ) and others, with a slight edge in P/W ratio, ride comfort, fuel economy and perhaps have OE Power steering and A/C.

Many 550s do have power steering pumps mounted on the front bumper.

TO get a real first hand view we need to pick up one from Mahindra and drive it on one of our OTR trips to report on its offroad performance.
Old 17th September 2009, 18:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
On performance basis it would perform slightly better that MM540s and 550s that we have in the club ( NIOC ) and others, with a slight edge in P/W ratio, ride comfort, fuel economy and perhaps have OE Power steering and A/C.
Not really, considering it is lot heavier than MM550/MM540s.

Quote:
TO get a real first hand view we need to pick up one from Mahindra and drive it on one of our OTR trips to report on its offroad performance.
It has already been done. I have seen it closely during MGE: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...challenge.html
Old 17th September 2009, 18:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Invader has more Bernoulli effect because of its shape e.g. especially that foil roof that pops air up into the...er, ... air. But the dust has to come in some opening. Find that opening, plug it and the problem is solved. If the doors do not fit tight they can be alligned and rubber molding material, even cut inner tube rubber, can be added. Same with the rear after market tailgate fittings. I will grant you, it is easier said than done. Holes leaking water or dust can be really hard to find. One way they find auto leaks outside India is to pressurize the interior with a strong fan with dry ice inside. Then watch for where the fog, vapor, comes out of the vehicle. They plug the hole and repeat the procedure.

My Tata Spacio leaks dust thru the tailgate and doors almost as badly as if there was a window open. It's a hardtop, too. I clean and cope.
Thanks DirtyDan. Just to reduce this cumbersome process, i have sold my Invader .

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th September 2009, 10:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
AN invader is essentially a SWB Bolero. With a 4x4 system in place with the 3200TDI Bolero Engine that delivers about 68 to 70 bhp, it would be moderately OK as an offroader if not great guns.

You really need to mug up the invader catalog before making such broad statements :-).

1) The rear suspension of the Invader and Bolero are different. The Invader has modified leaf spring set up to increase space in the rear bay hence the articulation is very poor. Look at the rear springs of Bolero and Invader and you will see what I mean.

2) Less offroad capable than the mm540/550 for the above said reason.

3) 4WD version cannot be had with OE PS and AC. Has to be fitter after market.
4) You are right about the fuel economy and ride comfort. They will be better than the MM540. So if you are buying an invader giving priority for the ride comfort and fuel economy, it makes sense.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:47   #27
DRC
BHPian

I just checked Mihindra website. Invader is no longer listed there. Is it EOLed?

So, other than gipsy no other true 4x4 is on sale now! (I was hoping invader was one)
Old 18th September 2009, 11:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I just checked Mihindra website. Invader is no longer listed there. Is it EOLed?

So, other than gipsy no other true 4x4 is on sale now! (I was hoping invader was one)
It is very much available. Mahindra is not too proud of their baby, hence do not actively market it except in places where jeeps are popular.

I know this for sure since a fellow team-bhp member has a booking and is expecting 4WD in a few weeks. My dad just got a quote for a 4WD Invader from the kottayam dealer last week.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. One way they find auto leaks outside India is to pressurize the interior with a strong fan with dry ice inside. Then watch for where the fog, vapor, comes out of the vehicle. They plug the hole and repeat the procedure.
Since its difficult to find dry ice, a couple of poor quality agarbathis can be used. Poor quality so they smoke more.
Keep a plate under them to collect the ash.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Since its difficult to find dry ice, a couple of poor quality agarbathis can be used. Poor quality so they smoke more.
Keep a plate under them to collect the ash.
LOL!!!! What a height of imagination!!! @D_D you got to say some thing about this ;-)

--Sree--

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks