Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 20:23   #136
BHPian

Re: Jeep from Yamuna Nagar

Hello everyone!

Sorry for being OT.

A short intro - used to be an adrenalin junkie till about a decade ago before getting into the corporate muck. Last year something hit me and I bought a thunderbird; did Leh this year on it.
Looks like second coming to me and now I want to buy a Jeep. Have nothing specific in mind so can't state the purpose of the buy.
Need your advice / suggestions. Would love to meet up if there's an ncr meet.

A very trusted source of mine has suggested to buy a jeep from Monga in Punjab - based on your taste and various other factors it could cost anywhere between 1-3 lacs.
However, I need a basic ladder chasis body and a reliable engine - I may take it to ladakh next year and Rajasthan this winters so reliability is my primary concern.

Suggestions / advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by nitin.rai : 18th August 2011 at 20:23. Reason: Comment add
Old 17th October 2013, 10:55   #137
BHPian

After more than 3 years and 16000kms of delhi driving my 3B was in a for a fresh round of rework and restoration. Last Wednesday it went to Classic Noida, and i'm hoping to have the mechanicals completed by coming saturday. Was thinking of shifting the spare wheel from the rear to the side. Was slightly confused with the final appearance of the vehicle...should i stick to the original military looks, or should i further simplify it by removing the unnecessary items like the blackout lites at the front and rear, the head lite and parking lamp grills, reversing lite, etc. The quality of the tail cum indicator lamp body and the headlite chrome plated covers have been a bone of contention since they tend to rust within few months. Was discussing the same with Nirankarji at Classic yesterday. The window wipers are the next item on which i cant decide...whether to retain the old top mounted individual motor design or go for the bonnet mounted synchronized car type ones. The top ones are pretty useless in the rains because of poor sweep and rubber quality. The tool box below the hinged driver seat is another issue. With so many nooks and corners in its design it is a potential rust trap and is likely to reduce the life of the vehicle body substantially. The flip out windscreen lets water in from around the beading in gallons. Maybe permanent fixed design would solve that issue.
Suggestions pals...

Atul
ATUL SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:51   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
After more than 3 years and 16000kms of delhi driving my 3B was in a for a fresh round of rework and restoration. Last Wednesday it went to Classic Noida, and i'm hoping to have the mechanicals completed by coming saturday. Was thinking of shifting the spare wheel from the rear to the side. Was slightly confused with the final appearance of the vehicle...should i stick to the original military looks, or should i further simplify it by removing the unnecessary items like the blackout lites at the front and rear, the head lite and parking lamp grills, reversing lite, etc.
See answers below
The quality of the tail cum indicator lamp body and the headlite chrome plated covers have been a bone of contention since they tend to rust within few months.
If done properly, Chrome plating should last at least 3-4 years in delhi weather (chrome plating done in my bullet in 2009 in Delhi is still good. it has withstood Delhi, Satna, Calcutta, Bombay and Poona weather). for rear lights, Genesis from Bombay can comment. His driver has done some R&D and he is satisfied with the outcome
Was discussing the same with Nirankarji at Classic yesterday. The window wipers are the next item on which i cant decide...whether to retain the old top mounted individual motor design or go for the bonnet mounted synchronized car type ones. The top ones are pretty useless in the rains because of poor sweep and rubber quality.
Top mounted vipers add vintage value. Think of replacing viper blades with other viper arms available in the market (you might need to chop them as per your need). This reminds me that i need two set of top mounted viper assembly. Can you please help me to procure the same?

The tool box below the hinged driver seat is another issue. With so many nooks and corners in its design it is a potential rust trap and is likely to reduce the life of the vehicle body substantially.
Use 3M or Wurth anti-rust paints after removing old paint, filler etc. If paint is done properly with anti rust paint, underbody anti rust coating, your jeep should be good to go for at least 5-6 years

The flip out windscreen lets water in from around the beading in gallons. Maybe permanent fixed design would solve that issue.
Yes, its not leak proof but water should not come in gallons instead should come out in small drops. a good fitter can solve this problem to extent of leak resistant

Atul
Atul Ji,
My suggestion would be to move spare tyre to your left hand side and go for civilian look with civilian paint scheme (you can select color from original color guide and cream colored rims). Why i am suggesting you for this is to:
1) There are thousands of 3B and their look a likes are on road with replica military accessories across India
2) you have already owned one version of 3B (military), now enjoy another version of 3B
3) Imagine dark brown color jeep with cream colored rims and side spare tyre with original civilian model type hood
Advantage of having Jeep and bullet is every 3-4 years you can change theme and color on these timeless beauties.

Read my answers, highlighted above

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 11:37   #139
BHPian

Quote:
The quality of the tail cum indicator lamp body and the headlite chrome plated covers have been a bone of contention since they tend to rust within few months. Was discussing the same with Nirankarji at Classic yesterday.
Atul
After a lot of frustration of the turn indicators rusting at the back, bulbs getting loose/tight on their own, inserting matchsticks to hold bulbs in place, this is what my driver did. (Dont have pics)

Buy the 40rs ka mayapuri turn indicators. Buy a 40 rs ka bulb holder (plastic and metal assembly) which is used in autorickshaws/old cars.
Cut off/Pry open (depending on assembly type) the back part of the turn indicators. This leaves you with the round/conical dome and the round disc.
Insert the plastic and metal assembly at the back and reassemble.

Sundar Sasta Tikau!

As for headlights, I managed to get real stainless steel ones and they have not rusted in 2 monsoons. Old ones used to rust like anything.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:47   #140
BANNED

^^Anyone thought of soldering wires to the bulb for such purpose & sticking some aluminium foil on the reflector base (which rusts) ??

will it work

Sudarshan
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:41   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Atul Ji,
My suggestion would be to move spare tyre to your left hand side and go for civilian look with civilian paint scheme (you can select color from original color guide and cream colored rims). Why i am suggesting you for this is to:
1) There are thousands of 3B and their look a likes are on road with replica military accessories across India
2) you have already owned one version of 3B (military), now enjoy another version of 3B
3) Imagine dark brown color jeep with cream colored rims and side spare tyre with original civilian model type hood
Advantage of having Jeep and bullet is every 3-4 years you can change theme and color on these timeless beauties.

Read my answers, highlighted above

Shubhendra Singh
Thank you Shubhendra- had thought of shifting the spare wheel to the LHS and may go in for it. As for the colour i shall be retaining the earlier shade.
As for the window wiper motor i got mine from a large shop at Kashmiri gate market. I am forgetting the location but it was on the road adjacent to the old delhi railway station and was facing the station. will see if i can pick up some more details or location for you.

Atul
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:46   #142
BHPian

Friends, my jeep is in an advanced stage of its second restoration but am stuck up for want of a good quality canvas for the top and the transparent sheet for the windows . The wholesale market in delhi did not throw up acceptable options. Suggestions and advice invited

atul
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, my jeep is in an advanced stage of its second restoration but am stuck up for want of a good quality canvas for the top and the transparent sheet for the windows . The wholesale market in delhi did not throw up acceptable options. Suggestions and advice invited

atul
Atul Ji,
Canvas suppliers who generally supply to ground forces keep good quality material too. DB sir can confirm the material specification used in Thar, its very good and sturdy.
You can also choose canvas color based on Jeep color you decide, just throwing in an option other than monotonous black.

Shubhendra
Old 8th February 2014, 23:14   #144
BHPian

My CJ is currently in its 2nd round of restoration after 3 1/2 years and more than 16000kms on the odo. The spare wheel goes on the side and am planning a new hood which is expected by 17th Feb.

@ Shubhendra- thank you for your useful tips. As suggested by you have got in touch with Atlas/Mumbai.
Old 9th February 2014, 13:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

For good chomium plating you have to do it systematically :

1. Clean/sand blast all the old paint/chrome
2. Dip the part in acid tub to get rid of all the grease
3. Plating is done in three steps - first copper as the base layer. Only copper sticks to steel, every other material will just peel off (seems familiar)
4. Next is the nickle layer. This is the water proofing layer. Without it the part will rust
5. Lastly chromium to give that shine and surface hardness.

Most of the good plating shop will follow these steps if you insist, but it is much more expensive than the "chalu" plating that they do. Once done properly the part will never rust, unless there is a deep abrasion.

Last edited by Aroy : 9th February 2014 at 13:37.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 23:36   #146
BHPian

Was at the Classic workshop in NOIDA today. will be posting pictures soon.

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 16th February 2014 at 23:45.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:42   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For good chromium plating you have to do it systematically :

1. Clean/sand blast all the old paint/chrome
2. Dip the part in acid tub to get rid of all the grease
3. Plating is done in three steps - first copper as the base layer. Only copper sticks to steel, every other material will just peel off (seems familiar)
4. Next is the nickle layer. This is the water proofing layer. Without it the part will rust
5. Lastly chromium to give that shine and surface hardness.

Most of the good plating shop will follow these steps if you insist, but it is much more expensive than the "chalu" plating that they do. Once done properly the part will never rust, unless there is a deep abrasion.
Thanks for the tip Aroy. Any day now expect my CJ3B to be home...
Old 17th February 2014, 11:30   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Aroy. Any day now expect my CJ3B to be home...
Atul Ji,
Did you get soft top, doors etc. Let me know, if anything is required from west India.

Shubhendra
Old 20th February 2014, 22:38   #149
BHPian

Shubhendra ji, got the soft top and doors, frame, etc. from atlas as you suggested. thanks a ton. The frame and hood require slight modification and should be up by coming saturday. yes i do need the tail lights for the old design civilian jeep CJ3B and 500D. Those with just the red plastic cover. in which indicators are not a part of this and are separate. 2+4 (spare) would be required. Can you help me out Shubhendra?

atul
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-tail-lights.jpg  

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 20th February 2014 at 22:41. Reason: missed portion
Old 21st February 2014, 12:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

Atul ji, I always liked the colour combination of your jeep, not to mention the ways you have been using the CJ3B. Have heard about the ongoing work on your jeep from the place where you usually get the things done. Really interested to see the outcome this time, hopefully will be able to see in person in coming weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks