Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 10:26   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Have been going for the last 4 days to take delivery of my jeep, but no luck. Irritants are creeping up and the guys out there seem clueless. To top it all SK is out to Mumbai for the last 7-10 days. I'm royally stuck. Today when everything was done and i was going to make the payments i noticed a slight misfiring at idling. On revving up it seemed to disappear. but when i took the jeep for a test drive it crept back in. On shifting and releasing the clutch and also accelerating there was a definite miss in the seamless power expected. Then the engine would catch up. But the hiccup was there neverthless and prominent. The Area manager was unable to diagnose it and on refusing to take delivery of the vehicle he promised to look into it. But when i heard him mentioning the tappet clearances and opening the head cover i'm totally zapped. Should'nt it be the distributor and timing advance control rather than the tappet?
Experts....enlighten me

atul
hi,check the jets again,usually the dirt or grime from the fuel line(after the jeep goes for the paint job)clogs the jets,miss firing is not cause of tappet adjustments,miss firing happens by fuel or electrics,like plug wires are short or even your plugs are short.I'm a novice but i had 3b's for donkey years and usually encountered these problems.In my 3b the mechanic had put a thin wire in the main jet for better average without indicating it to me,and the jeep started miss firing.I guess you better check the jets and carb again,then the plugs and wires.Tappets on otherhand will make a different sound altogether.I would love to see the jeep.

regards

mandeep
Old 27th February 2010, 22:10   #77
BHPian

3b

Anytime mandeep

will look into the carb first thing.
Took delivery of the jeep even though there are still major gremlins spoiling things. the misfiring, leakage of exhaust from near the manifold and tail pipe joint gasket, additional vibration as if some thing had become loose underbody after i drove it about 50 kms to my home. let SK come back from Mumbai so that i can take it to him.
Torque-ative - The whistling was there at around 42-43 kmph indicated speed. Moves at a very relaxed pace and the hurri turning at that road speed in 3rd is pure music.

tanked up full today so that i get an idea of the fuel consumption and hence the range.

A very high level of underbody rumbling has crept (nay stepped in) every time i put my jeep in 1st and start to move. Vanishes once the jeep touches around 10-12 kmph. Even slipping clutch is of no help. This barely 60 kms after taking delivery seems to be an ominous sign. I'll be writing to the Mahindra boffins who confirmed evrything was ok at the time of delivery.

Loading up the snap of my jeep as it rested in my drive after a hectic day

Behram ji are you listening- Can you help me out
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep270210-006.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep270210-009.jpg  

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 27th February 2010 at 22:14.
Old 27th February 2010, 23:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

Aha! The Jeep looks great at where its supposed to be, in your driveway! Congrats on getting her home finally.

This is like when you get carpenters/workers in your new home. Till you move in and take charge they will not get out, so also till you had not got your Jeep home and started driving it yourself, the niggles will not be detected, hence they will not be fixed.

Now you can detect and get the little irritants fixed, once and for all. Surprised at M&M though, for not fixing the exhaust leak.
Old 27th February 2010, 23:19   #79
BHPian

Homecomming

V-16 thanks.
Buddy dont be surprised, we indians have a tendency to try to some how pass things on. I know i'm raising a very delicate issue where a lot of feathers may be ruffled- but being in the service for almost 17 years and interacting with the private sector for almost as many years, my personal experience is that exceptions apart we do not believe in doing things perfectly- or maybe perceptions vary. Like when i was at the Diesel Locomotive Works (2002) and was the project manager for a batch of 10 locomotives for Bangladesh Rlys. The locomotives were ready for the final inspection and i found the driver cab floor dirty while the guy who was supposed to vacuum clean it found it clean. Finally i got so bugged that i took the vacuum cleaner and cleaned half of the cab myself and then called the guy and showed him the difference. Well, thats another story...
But i sincerely hope that some day we as a nation rise up to do things better, in a more refined and responsible manner...

Will try to do some photogenic poses of my jeep tomorrow morening, maybe so,e where near bhadkal lake- or what remains of it...

Regards,

atul.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:14   #80
BHPian

Atul,...I am sorry to sound like a fanatic,..but then I dont know what else to call one smitten by the 2.2 hurricane Jeep. This is the begining of a relationship which will transend time. I am still basking in the after glow of yesterdays OTR.
It is a marvel this,.thing called Jeep. I have seen many capable off roaders,..but none that can tread so lightly as the pertol jeep can. Its nimble, sure footed, and in low ratio a source of Monster torque. what a combo !!

The issues you are facing will pass. Yes it will take patience and persistance.
You have solids resources such as Renegade, diesel maniac, UBS, and BD all available at a calls length away,..stay at it. You will triumph over these gremlins.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:26   #81
BHPian

Stalled

Torque-ative
Thanks for words of encouragement. The current status of my jeep as on 01.03.10 is-
Took delivery of my jeep from M&M workshop with a bang but now am out with a whimper. The jeep refuses to start since the time it has reached my house. A lot of major problems have surfaced which show poor workmanship from an authorised service station.
  1. On my way back after taking delivery the fuel pipe from the filter to the fuel pump split open in the centre. Had to get another heavy duty braided pipe fitted by a roadside mechanic.
  2. The jeep barely starts moving from stop in 1st gear, and that too with with a lot of reluctance. Even slipping clutch does not seem to have any major effect.
  3. Heavy vibration from underbody on starting in 1st gear.
  4. Excessive sound from the silencer chamber and pipe. The fastening arrangement is both in adequate and also seems to have given way.
  5. Once reaching my house the jeep refuses to start up. on some occassions the engine fired, hiccuped, spluttered and after a few seconds died down.
  6. There's oil continuously dripping from every concievable location viz. the differentials, oil sump, mounting of fuel pump to the block, gear case, transfer case, join of rear drive shaft to the gear box.
  7. Careful and detailed study shows that earlier paint has not been carefully removed from many exterior and interior locations like the tail gate, co driver well side wall, under body, etc.
  8. Clamp for the battery has not been fitted as a result of which the battery is continuously pressing againt the brake booster arrangement mounted on the firewall.
  9. This is in addition to numerous minor problems which i'm not even bringing up.
Such poor and unresponsible workmanship from an authorised service centre of M&M is difficult to comprehend.

Attaching snaps of my jeep as it stands outside my house
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep280210-002.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep280210-005.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep280210-006.jpg  

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 1st March 2010 at 10:28.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:36   #82
BHPian

Still stalled

Out of curiosity i took a few snaps of the distributor in my jeep. am attaching the same so that experts can shed some light on whether the condition and gap is ok?

Regards,
atul
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-distributor-001.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-distributor-002.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-distributor-004.jpg  

Old 1st March 2010, 17:10   #83
BHPian

Distributor

some more snaps for expert comments

atul
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-distributor-006.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-distributor-007.jpg  

Old 1st March 2010, 21:17   #84
Team-BHP Support

Use a dwell meter to set the gap, thats the right method. IIRC 42 deg if its original distributor and around 60 for M&M product. UBS or Behram can confirm on these figures.

If you are setting it with a feeler gauge then it has to be done when the cam lobe opening the points and thats the picture you need to post. Again commenting looking at a picture only an expert can do.

Getting in touch with UBS or Behram might be a good idea. Any major rebuild will take couple of visits at the least to set thing right. So patience my friend.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:55   #85
BHPian

Engine Bay snaps

Behram Ji,
As desired by you i've tried to get some snaps of the engine bay of my 3B. The location of the fuel filter can be very clearly seen on the suction side of the FP. The minimum perpendicular distance between the exhaust pipe and the tube leading from the fuel filter to the FP is about 4-4.5". In case you need more detailed snaps about any particular area just say so.

Regards & thanks for taking such interest in my restoration efforts,

atul singh
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-003.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-005.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-006.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-007.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-010.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-engine-bay-012.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2010, 00:16   #86
BHPian

Queries

Dear Spike,(Ref post No. 74 on 26/02/10)

The flat spot or hiccupp is present very clearly and as i would start accelerating the rpm would pick up and then suddenly sag, giving a very persistent jerk. The hiccupp is noticeable only when i start from zero, both in 1st or 2nd with a slipping of the clutch. Have'nt noticed about any specific rpm particularly but come to think of it, it usually was just after start- maybe 1600-2000 rpm. But the sag would not be there while shifting from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd.
About the engine hunting part i'm again not too sure (whether it was hunting or missing) but yes if the hurricane at idle was supposed to go zzzz..zz..zzz then it would actually go zzz.zzjhug zzz.zz.jhugzz.zz.zz...jhug..zz...zzz

Hope my limited expression is able to give you a better insight into the type of problem i'm stuck up with.

regards,

atul
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:53   #87
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Also, avoid typing with excessive dots........like........this........

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2010 at 10:45. Reason: Read Mod Note in post
docfreak is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:59   #88
Team-BHP Support

What carbs are those, is it original solex?
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:41   #89
BHPian

Carb and the same old story

Jaggu bhai i do not have the faintest idea whether its solex or not and you'll have to wait to know for sure because team mahindra was at my doorstep today morning to sort out the starting problem (courtesy Mr. Subramani/Mahindra First Choice). Eventuallythey had to tug the jeep back to their model town workshop using their desert storm bolero.

Docfreak- Thanks a ton for siding with me but there's one small difference...Bhaiyyo, meri jeep to start hi nahin ho rahi hai...all i can do is just keep my fingers crossed and wait.

Regards,
atul
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:52   #90
BHPian

Good business sense maybe...

Friends,
My newly rebuilt CJ3B jeep by M&M at their first choice workshop in Model Town Delhi had to be towed back to the workshop since it refused to crank. The jeep had been delivered to me on 28.02.10. This inspite of the fact that a team of a service advisor and a mechanic who had assembled the jeep came to my home to sort out the problems in my jeep. Maybe i'm biased because its my jeep, but it does hurt to see such a sorry state of affair where M&M, the guys who brought the cJ3B to this country no longer have the requisite expertise in their service centres to maintain them any more...what can be more ironic...?

Or maybe, have'nt we heard the addage- people get the police they deserve. and since i deserve the level of service dished out to me.

Regards,

atul

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2010 at 15:25. Reason: Atul, this post was moved here as the thread you posted it in was not an M&M complaints thread, but a general discussion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks