Team-BHP - Jeep from Yamuna Nagar
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Jeep from Yamuna Nagar (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/66487-jeep-yamuna-nagar.html)

Guys, seeing all your posts in the last 6 months and interarcting with Harjeev since he started the rebuilding of his 550, it was only a matter of time before i got a 3B. On 25.09.09, while driving me Versa on an official trip to yamuna Nagar, i spied a jeep in the by lane of a road side village. A few enquiries, some haggling and negotiations and i was minus 50k but the proud owner of a 3B. Incidentally, its from the same army contract from which Harjeev's army 3B comes, only a year older and rusted. It has a loud, real loud matador engine under the bonnet and a diagonal set of wheels coming straight from the front of a tractor, and thats not all- 4WD converted to 2WD. But hey, its still a 3B of 1984 vintage. Plan to start refurbishment-sorry rebuilding from next month. Its actually been a very long wait since i drove my father's official jeep (a 500d I think) way back in 1983-84. always wanted one but managed to buy an 800 the first time and then a versa the next time i was looking for a vehicle. I plan to use it for 50-60 km a day i.e. driving between Faridabad & Delhi. Should i go in for the original F-head or would fitting a 2112 peugeot with 4 speed like a classic make more sense?
I'm attaching a few snaps of the vehicle as it was purchased. By the way, it was driven all the way fro YNR to FBD, nearly 220 kms in about 9 hrs without a single breakdown. Even in this condition, my ten year old daughter prefers this for going to the market for buying vegetables rather than the Versa. Whenever i get a chance to crank it in the morning i'm sure tha whole sector wakes up. More people come up to my house to check it out than if i had bought a porsche 911...

Regards,
atul singh
Faridabad
dycme4@yahoo.com

Go for the original engine, it will do the vehicle justice and help restore it to its former glory.

Atul, Great find bro! Good to see the CJ3B fever spreading :).

I am sure you have right folks around to help you.

Good Luck with the restoration.

I have just started my 3B restoration back in Kerala and there is a thread on that.
Cheers
Shibu

Thanks big man

Captain Sir, with new firebrands like Harjeev leading from the front the jeep community cant falter.

Regards,
atul

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH (Post 1508283)
Even in this condition, my ten year old daughter prefers this for going to the market for buying vegetables rather than the Versa. Whenever i get a chance to crank it in the morning i'm sure tha whole sector wakes up. More people come up to my house to check it out than if i had bought a porsche 911...

There you go, another one bites the dust. Congratulations on the buy.

Of course they attract a lot of attention and everyone wants to go for a spin in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCaptain (Post 1508388)
Good to see the CJ3B fever spreading :).
I am sure you have right folks around to help you.

Yeah. A lot of CJ3B's being restored lately.

And you would ideally be one of the right person to help him around:).

Thanks Beejay,
Specially for sending your wishes all the way from the Nilgiris. Cant wait to get it all up. Still confused on the engine and gearbox combination though.

Regards,
atul

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH (Post 1508434)
Thanks Beejay,
Specially for sending your wishes all the way from the Nilgiris. Cant wait to get it all up. Still confused on the engine and gearbox combination though.

Regards,
atul

I think you should stick to the original specs, as Jeep Captain aka Shibu rightly mentions just stick around, the right people will be here soon to help you out.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH (Post 1508434)
Thanks Beejay,

Regards,
atul

Atul,

If you are a purist, Get the original F-head Hurricane engine, 3 speed t90 Gearbox and t18 double lever transfercase for the JEEP.

If you prefer diesel, then you can use XD3P, 4 Speed KMT90 + t18 combo. However, I would suggest you to stick to the original engine and gearbox combo.

All these can be sourced from Mayapuri very easily.

Hello Atulji,

Congratulations once again !! Going by the the criteria of your usage it will make more sense to retain the diesel motor as your ideal choice of engine. The hurricane motor will be more lighter, silent and vibration free to drive but the cost of commuting can pinch( 50-60 Kms/day). A 3B with a petrol engine would do about 7-8 Kms in city traffic conditions, where as a diesel would run twice as much in two third of the cost. A diesel engine would infact cost you more money in terms of cost of buying as well as repairing it if the need be.

So please look into all these factors before deciding on an engine choice. Last but not the least It will become a CJ3B if you switch back to the original specifications, with the puegot diesel and KMT 90 under the hood it gets close to a CJ340 but will be neither of both. Lets see what other suggest on this....

Jasvinder,
You made me feel almost 10 years older than my 40 years by addressing me as atul singhji. Do me a favour will you, just keep a bay in your garage vacant for me as soon as i can arrange for some moolah for the rebuild job. Would definitely prefer the F head and 3 speed. What about the 4 speed with the F head...to stretch every drop of oil as they say?

Regards,
atul

Lets See how Atul works !! Atul the only difference between the T-90 and KMT -90 is that the second ratio on t-90 has been broken down to second and third in KMT-90. So the final drive ratio of both the Gearboxes is identical (this is as per my knowledge, experts can shed more light on this). So it might help if the Jeep is driven in lower gears most of the time, but how much difference will it make I am not sure about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_maniac (Post 1508543)
Lets See how Atul works !! Atul the only difference between the T-90 and KMT -90 is that the second ratio on t-90 has been broken down to second and third in KMT-90. So the final drive ratio of both the Gearboxes is identical (this is as per my knowledge, experts can shed more light on this). So it might help if the Jeep is driven in lower gears most of the time, but how much difference will it make I am not sure about it.

I would like to re-iterate what Diesel maniac has stated.

Chenging the gearbox will not help in terms of Highway Cruising but will help in low speed and traffic conditions.

The Ratios of 3 Speed gearbox would be - 3.3:1, 1.53:1 & 1:1
The Ratios of 4 Speed gearbox would be - 3.9:1, 2.7:1, 1.53:1 & 1:1

However, it would help to bridge the tall gap between the 1st and 2nd gears of the T90 .

You can try a BA10 4x4 gearbox with the XD3P as it has the 5th gear which doubles up as Overdrive.

Atul is just fine (with out the bold format). From what you tell me Jasvinder, the engine speeds shall be the same for a particular vehicle speed when i use the 3rd in T-90 and 4th in KMT-90. Any other 4 speed option which i can use with the F-head and which works sort of as an overdrive. I would actually like to do around 75+kmph without straining the engine and get reasonable fuel efficiency of around 8-9 kmpl (if its reasonable from a 3B). what are BIA, KIA's, etc. Enlighten me please.

Regards,
atul

Will the BA10 mate well with the F-head. Then the TC, will it come as a part of the BA10 or will i have to source it seperately? Which TC for the BA10? jasvinder, are you still there? Gosh, the amount of info that you guys-sorry-pals (in case there's some one here from the fairer sex) can churn up as tech advice is mind boggling. For a railway mech engineer its fantastic getting such comprehensive info directly at the push of a few keys. You guys really have me hooked on.

Regards,
atul

Whats the ratio for the BIA10 overdrive Sabareesh?

atul