Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 18:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Abhishek,
A beautiful restoration of a beauty. The colour, the originality is commendable.
The tyre on the bonnet is a hallmark of this land rover, I would not take it out of my garage if I were you without the tyre.
All the best.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:37   #47
BHPian

Hey V16, nope its not the same vehicle!

This one was with West Bengal Govt, working as a workhorse in their library dept for decades & was finally auctioned- where it was bought by a broker, who in turn sold it to me.

Moreover, it is from mid '50s & not early '70s (Series I & not Series III). It still has the original petrol engine & the gearbox. Guess it must be a coincidence in terms of color etc.

By the way, this is not Polly, but Abhishek.

Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Polly did the SWB white Landy you posted have a Bombay number. MH-01-B-6336? Because it sinisterly looks like my ex Landy. I bought it from the STC, she was a 1971 and the same blue colour underneath. everything working, all lights there and 4X4 drive train intact. It purred its way through any course powered by smooth a petrol 4 cyl engine. i had it painted this exact off white colour. It had a petrol engine. I sold it when i went abroad to study to a Sikh gentleman in Bombay who owned a couple of Landys himself and was shocked to find on my return that he had ir dieselised and worse, he had sold it. I was planning t bu it back from him:-(

Please check the papers to see if she was originally bought from Bombay STC. It would give me great satisfaction to see that it has landed in your capable hands.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:43   #48
BHPian

Thanks Fazal, I agree with you on the "tyre on the bonnet" hallmark. Which is exactly why I wrestled with it the same night when I got the vehicle & fixed it in.

A few days later, I made the proverbial mistake of taking the vehicle out without the complete set of tools. In the middle of a hot day, in an extremely busy section, the vehicle died down. I also saw traces of smoke come out of the bonnet. When we tried opening it, the spare tyre wouldn't let the bonnet be opened. Since I didn't have the tools, we had to go to a nearby hardware store, buy a rinch, dismantle the tyre & only then have a look at what was going on below the bonnet. Which is why I have resolved to first fix the dynamo issue & then fix the tyre back.

But you are absolutely right, it looks the part only because of its spare tyre on the bonnet. Which is also why I wrote the comment in my earlier post that I will share pictures once I get everything done up- to give the right visual treat!

Cheers,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Abhishek,
A beautiful restoration of a beauty. The colour, the originality is commendable.
The tyre on the bonnet is a hallmark of this land rover, I would not take it out of my garage if I were you without the tyre.
All the best.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Hey V16, nope its not the same vehicle!
By the way, this is not Polly, but Abhishek.
Shucks!! I dont know where that Vehicle went. I was hoping this was it. Nevertheless a beautiful restoration. Sorry for calling you Polly, my excited haste made me think it was Polly i was referring to.

Carry on the lovely work.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!

Beautiful, beautiful restoration. You would have done LRSOC proud

I was browsing through a 1955 Series 1 Station Wagon brochure for comparison, and except for the twin driving lamps (where there should be one) the rest of the car appears pristine.

Here are a few comparisons for everyone to appreciate. The brochure pics are courtesy Hermen Vlothuizen's Land Rover site. Here's the link:

Hermen Vlothuzen's collection of Land Rover Series 1 brochures

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-abhisheks-series-1.jpg

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-series-1-brochure.jpg

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-abhisheks-series-1-interior.jpg

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-series-1-interior-brochure.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 23:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

congratulations.

Its a job done well, Hope you are enjoying your ride.
Old 10th March 2010, 00:09   #52
BHPian

Thanks guys! It sure is fun...

And thanks for sharing the picture from the brochure. It is very interesting to see the rear view mirror on the top of the windscreen. We had observed the twin holes in the frame, but just couldn't think of what will get fitted so higher up. And the holes seemed too small to accomodate the screws for a mirror- but guess it was the case. They are for holding the mirrors...

Lets see how this turns up, when we get the rest of the work done. Thanks again for your continued encouragement!

Cheers,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
congratulations.

Its a job done well, Hope you are enjoying your ride.
Old 10th March 2010, 00:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

@ abhishek_d_zulu, the series 1 looks AWESOME!!! i don't see the semaphores...please remove the white light on the fender & add the spare tyre on the hood, that will make it a complete car.

the silver pattis, hinges are all painted or did you get them from somewhere??
Old 10th March 2010, 06:24   #54
BHPian

Lot of work, patience and money is required in these vintage restorations. From exterior it looks very neat, needs some carpeting in the interior though. Job well done
Old 10th March 2010, 10:34   #55
BHPian

Hi Amit, thanks... yes- these are part of my plan.

Post receiving the vehicle, I also noticed some loose connection for the headlight, due to which it keeps on failing occasionally. Hence I have kept the fog lamps in the front for the time being. I intend to take them out eventually, as they are spoiling the show.

Secondly, the aluminium frame is part of the original vehicle- this is how they used to come. We have just painted them with aluminium paint once, so that they get highlighted.

I will also complete the interiors soon & will post photographs of them in a few weeks...

Thanks again for your comments!

Cheers,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
@ abhishek_d_zulu, the series 1 looks AWESOME!!! i don't see the semaphores...please remove the white light on the fender & add the spare tyre on the hood, that will make it a complete car.

the silver pattis, hinges are all painted or did you get them from somewhere??
Old 10th March 2010, 11:01   #56
BHPian

Agree with you, Amar. I need to get the flooring done. Am considering both chequer plates or rubber matting- need to figure out which will suite more. I also see many of these noise dampening floor matting which is available abroad- will see if those make better sense.

Will get it done in the next few weeks.

Thankfully, the seats have now been done up (pictures are from pre-fabrication stage). They look good. I initially thought of changing the seats, but now have decided to keep it stock- to maintain the originality of the vehicle.

I now need to sort the battery / dynamo issue next. My friends & fellow enthusiats Rahul & Ajit in BLR are helping me do many of these things- so thanks to them!

Cheers,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Lot of work, patience and money is required in these vintage restorations. From exterior it looks very neat, needs some carpeting in the interior though. Job well done
Old 10th March 2010, 23:03   #57
BHPian

fantastic !! Abhishek!! Congratulations on a gr8 rebuild!! she has really turned out well!!
Regards
Polly
Old 11th March 2010, 00:19   #58
BHPian

Thanks Polly... did you get your Landy home last weekend? I thought you were hoping to finish your project around this time too?

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
fantastic !! Abhishek!! Congratulations on a gr8 rebuild!! she has really turned out well!!
Regards
Polly
Old 11th March 2010, 19:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Polly did the SWB white Landy you posted have a Bombay number. MH-01-B-6336? Because it sinisterly looks like my ex Landy. I bought it from the STC, she was a 1971 and the same blue colour underneath. everything working, all lights there and 4X4 drive train intact. It purred its way through any course powered by smooth a petrol 4 cyl engine. i had it painted this exact off white colour. It had a petrol engine. I sold it when i went abroad to study to a Sikh gentleman in Bombay who owned a couple of Landys himself and was shocked to find on my return that he had ir dieselised and worse, he had sold it. I was planning t bu it back from him:-(

Please check the papers to see if she was originally bought from Bombay STC. It would give me great satisfaction to see that it has landed in your capable hands.
I hope it wasnt this vehicle ????? LOL iam just joking, No mine belonged to the NRSA at Dehra Dun and has UP registeration!!

Ciao Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-easterisland.jpg  

Old 12th March 2010, 12:05   #60
BHPian

Dear Abhishek,

The holes on the top of the windscreen frame are for indicators not mirrors.
Also known as trafficators.
Very nice S1.
700x16 tires will better suit your vehicle.

Thank you very much for giving me the indicator switch for my 2a. Look forward to seeing you sometime.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Thanks guys! It sure is fun...

And thanks for sharing the picture from the brochure. It is very interesting to see the rear view mirror on the top of the windscreen. We had observed the twin holes in the frame, but just couldn't think of what will get fitted so higher up. And the holes seemed too small to accomodate the screws for a mirror- but guess it was the case. They are for holding the mirrors...

Lets see how this turns up, when we get the rest of the work done. Thanks again for your continued encouragement!

Cheers,
Abhishek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks